Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #19251
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

i'm on the 6th season of the sopranos and it's starting to feel like a chore to watch it. i'm far too committed now. I must finish *sigh*

I hope it gets better.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #19252
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
i'm on the 6th season of the sopranos and it's starting to feel like a chore to watch it. i'm far too committed now. I must finish *sigh*

I hope it gets better.

Don't stop believin'.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #19253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've been a console gamer for a lot of years now but I never saw a connection so bad that my update timer was counting up instead of down ... until tonight.

MW gonna MW I guess.

edit: it's a fun one too. You do an 18 gig update from the dashboard. Open the game, immediately hit with a second separate 16 gig update for multiplayer.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-23-2020 at 10:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #19254
spleen1015
Coordinator

If you read this and are someone who prays, please pray for some friends of ours.

Mom has been battling brain cancer on and off for over 10 years. Has had a really rough battle the last 2 years. Her youngest of 4 children decided on Wednesday that she was too much of a burden and took her own life.

Sadness. No other words.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #19255
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If you read this and are someone who prays, please pray for some friends of ours.

Mom has been battling brain cancer on and off for over 10 years. Has had a really rough battle the last 2 years. Her youngest of 4 children decided on Wednesday that she was too much of a burden and took her own life.

Sadness. No other words.

This made me sick to my stomach...I'm so sorry. Prayers for sure.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #19256
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awful.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #19257
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Dammit cartman, you didn't tell me Buck Henry died.

Good litmus test for deep SNL fans versus Johnny-come-lately ones.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #19258
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Sadness. No other words.

Awful news. So sorry.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #19259
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry to hear that as well.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #19260
JediKooter
Coordinator

Damn. Sorry to hear that man.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #19261
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Sadness. No other words.

omg, Spleenie, so sorry :'(

Prayers, for sure <3
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #19262
molson
General Manager

I never realize what a severe introvert I am until the girlfriend's parents are staying for 10 days and they have friends over, there's parties, events....

I'm outgoing, I love parties, any social event I'm there, but - I'm always able to go home. I haven't had a roommate since 2003 and all of the depression I used to struggle with then was gone as soon as I lived by myself. My girlfriend moved in a few years ago, and that was scary, but, she respects my space and we work opposite work shifts so we're both alone in the house a lot. It works.

But this week....I've never been so exhausted. It's survival. All my little tricks from my childhood and young adulthood aimed towards surviving being around people came back to me very easily...

I also feel I'm turning into my father. How he used to kind of disappear during family gatherings. Literally every second is an internal evaluation of how I'll be perceived ("can I leave for an hour, stretch it out further? What if I bring news of errands I've done? How about a nap? I'll tell them I'm coming off a illness, which is true.")

It does make me appreciate my girlfriend though. I'm lucky to have found someone I can live with - and travel across Europe for weeks at a time spending every second together. And who gets that some days I just want to be alone all day.

Last night I stayed up until 4AM in my office just to be alone. I was coming off a brutal work stretch and there was no break....

(It's also kind of nice that my girlfriend's sister's perfect boyfriend who her parents worshiped broke up with her, and the other sister is permanently single, SO, - it's all me. I'm #1! Their last and best chance to marry off a daughter! I have a house and a job! I can do what I want, damn it!)

Edit: Also, I don't understand people who feel compelled to feed the dog scraps at the house they're visiting. Don't do that. My dog was sick after jerk asses gave him too much turkey at Thanksgiving. I laid down the law this time. They all thought it was a big joke. So I kept him near me. They still "playfully" admit to sneaking him food when I'm not around. Fuck that. My dog is on a pre-kidney disease prescription food. I do everything I can with his diet to help him be with me as long as possible. When people compromise that, I get upset. I'm taking him for longer walks and shrinking his regular meal size to compensate (the long walks away have another purpose too, of course, more alone time).

Last edited by molson : 01-25-2020 at 10:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #19263
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Sadness. No other words.

I can only imagine the cancer battle but I've seen first hand how insidious depression is.

I am very sorry for your friend's family challenges.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #19264
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I realize that I have a tiny pet peeve when people call sports accomplishments “records” when they are not really records. LeBron just passed Kobe for third place on the NBA all-time scoring list. And everyone keeps talking about LeBron having broken Kobe’s “record.”

He did not break a record. Third place on the list is not a record. It is an amazing accomplishment, and we should recognize it, and he should be very proud of it. But it is not a record.

I have the same problem when people manipulate numbers to say things like “he is the only quarterback to pass for over 250 yards, and rush for at least 75 yards, and have over two rushing touchdowns, and average over 10.2 yards per attempt.”

We all know with the real records are. And it annoys me when people take random other things, however impressive, and try and make them seem like records.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #19265
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rudy Gobert was the second player ever to score 20 points and collect 15 rebounds and 5 blocks while shooting 100% from the field.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #19266
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am going through the painstaking process of migrating laptops to a new one, and going through my games list and systematically uninstalling them, and DAMN! even in the games that I had installed on my system, I have some really good games I haven't even touched. Looks like I have months of entertainment I need to put the TO DO list.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #19267
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I am going through the painstaking process of migrating laptops to a new one, and going through my games list and systematically uninstalling them, and DAMN! even in the games that I had installed on my system, I have some really good games I haven't even touched. Looks like I have months of entertainment I need to put the TO DO list.

My Steam library has a ton of great games that I've played for <4 hours.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:51 PM   #19268
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Made my way back to the town where I grew up today, for visitation at the funeral home. The dad of a friend from kindergarten (lifelong friend, but with a couple decades communication gap in the middle) passed after a couple of years of health issues, at the age of 81.

I stopped by my parent's house en route and as I was leaving my mother mentioned that my grandparents (i.e. her parents) knew and thought well of the father of the deceased.

I mentioned that to another old HS friend who was there and he pointed out that meant that our families had been connected in some way for over 100 years.

What drew me up a bit short about that was the realization that my son is unlikely to have a single person in his life outside of blood kin that he can say that about.

Maybe neither good nor bad, it was just something I'd never thought about quite that way before.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #19269
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Do people really watch Young Sheldon?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #19270
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I just bought a vending machine soda with my watch.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #19271
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Nope.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #19272
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Made my way back to the town where I grew up today, for visitation at the funeral home. The dad of a friend from kindergarten (lifelong friend, but with a couple decades communication gap in the middle) passed after a couple of years of health issues, at the age of 81.

I stopped by my parent's house en route and as I was leaving my mother mentioned that my grandparents (i.e. her parents) knew and thought well of the father of the deceased.

I mentioned that to another old HS friend who was there and he pointed out that meant that our families had been connected in some way for over 100 years.

What drew me up a bit short about that was the realization that my son is unlikely to have a single person in his life outside of blood kin that he can say that about.

Maybe neither good nor bad, it was just something I'd never thought about quite that way before.

I have 19 first cousins, and most of them lived in the area in which I grew up. So it just felt normal to have lots and lots of extended family with deep roots kind of always around.

Then we moved. And it feels much more lonely and isolated here. My kids are growing up without the constant birthday parties and visits and millions of other things that I took for granted.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #19273
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I think old people love it. My Mom watches every week.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #19274
Edward64
Head Coach

I feel a little sorry for the guy but not that sorry. He should die in prison IMO.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/bern...om-prison.html
Quote:
“I’m terminally ill,” Madoff told The Washington Post in an article Wednesday.

“There’s no cure for my type of disease. So, you know, I’ve served. I’ve served 11 years already, and, quite frankly, I’ve suffered through it,” Madoff told the newspaper.

But one of Madoff’s victims, Gregg Felsen, had no sympathy for the arch-scammer who decimated his savings.

“He’s terminally ill? I’m terminally broke,” Felsen told the Washington Post. “He ruined a lot of people’s lives and changed them forever.He deserves no leniency whatsoever.”
:
:
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, which prosecuted Madoff, declined to comment on his request for early release.

So did the Madoff Trustee, who is responsible for recovering funds for victims of his scheme. To date, the Madoff Trustee has recovered more than $14.3 billion for Madoff customers, or more than 75 cents for every dollar of claims filed by victims of the scam.

Peter Chavkin, a lawyer for Madoff’s wife, Ruth Madoff, declined to comment.

The couple’s two sons, Mark and Andrew, both died during Madoff’s time in prison.

Mark killed himself in December 2010 on the second anniversary of his father’s arrest.

Andrew died in 2014 from cancer.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #19275
Izulde
Head Coach

Less than 18 months? So he gets potentially a whole year of freedom? Nah. If it was like 6 months or something, then sure. But granting it would have been a giant middle finger to his victims. And I'm one of the most left-wing posters on this board re: the prison-industrial complex.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #19276
PilotMan
Head Coach

Screw that guy. I have no sympathy at all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #19277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Screw that guy. I have no sympathy at all.

None. Part of the sentence to me was he would know he would die in prison. Fuck him.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #19278
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm about to ditch twitter like I did facebook.

Every other tweet on my feed is something political even though I only follow softball coaches and sports personalities.

Why does it show me BS tweets from people I don't follow, yet many of those I follow do?

If I want to see it, then I will follow them.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #19279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Why does it show me BS tweets from people I don't follow, yet many of those I follow do?

Ditto, annoys me to no end.

I'd happily sacrifice the 1/100 of those that turn out to be interesting to avoid that 99/100 that make my teeth grind, eyes roll, or worse.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #19280
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I pulled a crown off a tooth at 10pm last night, thanks to something labeled "CREAMY CANDY" from the Korean grocer.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #19281
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I pulled a crown off a tooth at 10pm last night, thanks to something labeled "CREAMY CANDY" from the Korean grocer.

Hah, I did the same but with a Bit-of-Honey. I felt it was "off" before eating the candy so don't think it actually cause the problem.

My dentist told me there's literature that the new materials they use for crowns nowadays don't work as well with the old adhesive they have. They have not found or decided on a new optimal adhesive formula yet and he warned me my crown may pop off again.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #19282
Izulde
Head Coach

So, I quit my job without having another one lined up. Staying until they can find a replacement because that's the right thing to do.

Yesterday was the first time in months I was cheerful and could breathe easily. Going to be interesting seeing what happens next.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #19283
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Every other tweet on my feed is something political even though I only follow softball coaches and sports personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ditto, annoys me to no end.

I'd happily sacrifice the 1/100 of those that turn out to be interesting to avoid that 99/100 that make my teeth grind, eyes roll, or worse.

Preach!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #19284
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
So, I quit my job without having another one lined up. Staying until they can find a replacement because that's the right thing to do.

Yesterday was the first time in months I was cheerful and could breathe easily. Going to be interesting seeing what happens next.

I've been dreaming of doing this.

In maybe 5 years I'll have enough money to do it assuming the stock market doesn't crash.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #19285
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My sister had to go in unexpectedly to work, and had to bring my 7 year old nephew. She works at a hotel, and when they got there she gave him her phone to play games on and told him to stay in the chair in the corner and not bother anyone.

She leaves him there and goes to her meeting. One of her friends texts "Hey, how is it going?". My nephew answers: "Bad. My mom stuck me in the god damned corner"

He spelled it all correctly.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #19286
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ha!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #19287
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

This does suck. Try adding muted words. Helps a lot.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #19288
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This does suck. Try adding muted words. Helps a lot.

You, sir, may have just become my favorite FOFCer.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #19289
JediKooter
Coordinator

Just got back from a bachelors party in Vegas...thanks to the craps table, it paid for my trip. Thanks to all the ridiculous cigarette smokers, I now have a stupid cough that is driving me crazy.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #19290
spleen1015
Coordinator

I love craps.

I was in Vegas in November. I always budget my money so that I can play every day. One night, I was down to $15 for the night. Saved it for when I was throwing. 45 minutes later I was sitting on $800.

The next morning I had an hour to burn. $100 become $400 in 8 rolls of the dice. I rolled 4 four times in a row to start. I decided I was done after 8 rolls, leaving ahead.

That night, lost $200 in about 15 minutes.

Came home up $1000 though. Most fun I've had in a casino.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #19291
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I love craps.

I was in Vegas in November. I always budget my money so that I can play every day. One night, I was down to $15 for the night. Saved it for when I was throwing. 45 minutes later I was sitting on $800.

The next morning I had an hour to burn. $100 become $400 in 8 rolls of the dice. I rolled 4 four times in a row to start. I decided I was done after 8 rolls, leaving ahead.

That night, lost $200 in about 15 minutes.

Came home up $1000 though. Most fun I've had in a casino.

That is awesome! It's crazy how fast it can turn around like that for you. I wasn't even going to play, but, my friend and one of his friends wanted to and I decided to play with $100 to start and walked away with an extra $500 by the time we were done, which ended paying for my hotel and flight.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #19292
AnalBumCover
College Starter

On our last Vegas trip, I introduced my wife to the Shoot to Win "Bubble" Craps machine and she fell in love with the game. It was only a $2 minimum table, so we had a long, easy session to teach her the game. I don't think she'll ever stand at a real craps table. The $10-15 minimums on the Strip are too much for her (for me as well).
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #19293
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
On our last Vegas trip, I introduced my wife to the Shoot to Win "Bubble" Craps machine and she fell in love with the game. It was only a $2 minimum table, so we had a long, easy session to teach her the game. I don't think she'll ever stand at a real craps table. The $10-15 minimums on the Strip are too much for her (for me as well).

Love stuff like that. Being able to just relax and take your time learning the game and top of that having fun doing it and the $2 minimum is definitely more my speed haha! I suck at black jack, so I don't play it, but, craps is definitely more fun even though I still don't really know all the rules and odds.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #19294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can usually find $5 tables downtown if she wants to try a real table.

Me and my buddies have done every first weekend of March Madness in Vegas last 5 years. It is literally the most fun you can have as a guy in your 40s. We are from all over the country so its really fun to do that trip once a year. The wives then all do one.

this year one of the wives is turning 50, so instead of vegas and the girls weekend, we are all doing an all inclusive in Cancun. It will be fun but I am getting pretty bummed about not doing Vegas.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #19295
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Me and my buddies have done every first weekend of March Madness in Vegas last 5 years. It is literally the most fun you can have as a guy in your 40s. We are from all over the country so its really fun to do that trip once a year. The wives then all do one.

Not a college sports fan, but, something like that does sound like a lot of fun.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #19296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Scrolling my FB wall idly today and stumbled across a photo. Says something, I guess, when you have immediate recognition by name of a bartender you hadn't seen in a good 30 years.

That it was part of his obituary kinda bummed me out.

edit to add: I saw it cause there's an FB Group that is mostly about the bands, patrons, and bars from the Atlanta rock scene in the 80s.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-10-2020 at 04:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #19297
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Heard a rattling should today in my dining room. Went into the room and it sounded like it was coming from the floor. So I went into the basement to the heater and heard it clear as day. Though it may be an animal but it sounded more metallic. Banged on the ducts and no scurrying. My next thought was a kid dropped a toy down a vent and it migrated its way down there. Shut the unit down and the noise stopped so I thought maybe the fan. Take the front off the unit and nothing in the fan. So I pull the air filter which lies flat as opposed to sliding in on its side. Shine a flashlight in and I find an old Budweiser can. Had to be there for years and years upright and decided today was the day it blew over and began rattling around.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #19298
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I recently realized I struggle to finish the last 5% of just about anything. Doing laundry, I'll leave the last load in the dryer for days. Putting away dishes, I'll leave a few tupperware on the counter. cleaning the liter box, I'll leave a few nuggets behind, Even when I eat, I'll almost always leave a little behind. I literally do this with almost everything.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #19299
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I recently realized I struggle to finish the last 5% of just about anything. Doing laundry, I'll leave the last load in the dryer for days. Putting away dishes, I'll leave a few tupperware on the counter. cleaning the liter box, I'll leave a few nuggets behind, Even when I eat, I'll almost always leave a little behind. I literally do this with almost everything.

Must be a mess when you wipe!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #19300
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Must be a mess when you wipe!

Part of the pattern.