Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #5301
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Might as well bump this thread.

My wife and I worked our way though all the old Star Treks in the past month after seeing Into Darkness. I found there were basically 4 tiers of movie. I guess if I had to give them numbers, it would be 8/7/6/5 (maybe a 4 for Star Trek V- seriously; never try to search for God). I also put them in order within the tiers

Tier 1 (8): 8 (good and new) – 4 (favorite) – 2 (good and old)
Tier 2 (7): 6 (good sendoff and a return to the old) – 1 (interesting plot but 70s old and slow)
Tier 3 (6): 7 (cool to see Kirk and Picard but otherwise meh) – 3 (could not stand alone; companion to 2)
Tier 4 (5): 9 (mediocre fanservice) - 10 (seemed like a mediocre episode) – 5 (never try to search for God)

This list totally won't end in disagreement and tears...

I really wanted to put 2 higher and downgrade 8. However, 8 really is a solid movie on its own and 2 has some significant flaws to it. Maybe I should flip flop 4 and 2 as 4 is also a lot of fanservice and the plot isn't as good. Either way, those are easily the 3 best movies. And put together with 6, you easily have the top 4 so the even-odd theory seems to work.

Also, I think 1 is hard to rate. It feels like a slow paced 70s scifi horror movie like Alien. It has those real 70s flaws like that it's plodding: it's over a half hour just to get into space which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the movie is earth based but the plot is an outer space plot. However, it's an interesting scifi idea once it gets out of the proverbial driveway.

That's another thing about the average Star Trek movie until 9/10: I had forgotten that there were all sorts of little subplots running throughout the movies to keep developing future characterization. They knew they would be making more movies so they spent some screen time building pieces for the future.

SI

Key:

1 - The Motion Picture
2 - Wrath of Kahn
3 - Search For Spock
4 - The Voyage Home
5 - The Final Frontier
6 - The Undiscovered Country
7 - Generations
8 - First Contact
9 - Insurrection
10 - Nemesis
11 - Star Trek
12 - Into Darkness
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #5302
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Haha. Didn't think it was necessary but if I hadn't just watched them all, I couldn't tell you which movie was which

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #5303
molson
General Manager

I once started a project to get through all the star trek movies (I've never seen any of them). I got 3/4 through the first one and abandoned the project. I'm sure it picks up, but I'm also pretty sure it's just not my thing.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #5304
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Our library had them sitting on the shelf so I just started checking them out 3 at a time and returning them when we were done.

SI

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #5305
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Key:

1 - The Motion Picture
2 - Wrath of Kahn
3 - Search For Spock
4 - The Voyage Home
5 - The Final Frontier
6 - The Undiscovered Country
7 - Generations
8 - First Contact
9 - Insurrection
10 - Nemesis
11 - Star Trek
12 - Into Darkness

Thank you
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #5306
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
20 Feet from Stardom - 10/10

Absolutely wonderful documentary about some of Motown's best backup singers, and what became of their careers, interspersed by commentary from Springsteen, Jagger, Stevie Wonder, Sting and Ray Charles, among others. Had a smile on my face right from the beginning. It is one of those movies where the audience gave it a big round of applause when it was over.

Any documentary like this is always interesting to watch. Motown and Staxx had a huge wealth of talent backing their artists back in the days.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #5307
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Might as well bump this thread.

My wife and I worked our way though all the old Star Treks in the past month after seeing Into Darkness. I found there were basically 4 tiers of movie. I guess if I had to give them numbers, it would be 8/7/6/5 (maybe a 4 for Star Trek V- seriously; never try to search for God). I also put them in order within the tiers

Tier 1 (8): 8 (good and new) – 4 (favorite) – 2 (good and old)
Tier 2 (7): 6 (good sendoff and a return to the old) – 1 (interesting plot but 70s old and slow)
Tier 3 (6): 7 (cool to see Kirk and Picard but otherwise meh) – 3 (could not stand alone; companion to 2)
Tier 4 (5): 9 (mediocre fanservice) - 10 (seemed like a mediocre episode) – 5 (never try to search for God)

This list totally won't end in disagreement and tears...

I really wanted to put 2 higher and downgrade 8. However, 8 really is a solid movie on its own and 2 has some significant flaws to it. Maybe I should flip flop 4 and 2 as 4 is also a lot of fanservice and the plot isn't as good. Either way, those are easily the 3 best movies. And put together with 6, you easily have the top 4 so the even-odd theory seems to work.

Also, I think 1 is hard to rate. It feels like a slow paced 70s scifi horror movie like Alien. It has those real 70s flaws like that it's plodding: it's over a half hour just to get into space which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the movie is earth based but the plot is an outer space plot. However, it's an interesting scifi idea once it gets out of the proverbial driveway.

That's another thing about the average Star Trek movie until 9/10: I had forgotten that there were all sorts of little subplots running throughout the movies to keep developing future characterization. They knew they would be making more movies so they spent some screen time building pieces for the future.

SI

Am I blind, or are there no ratings for 11 and 12?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #5308
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Am I blind, or are there no ratings for 11 and 12?

Nah, as in the section you quoted: My wife and I worked our way though all the old Star Treks

So just the original 10, pre-reboot.

This kindof makes me want to go through all of the James Bond movies, but I don't think I could get my wife to go along with this plan.

SI

Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #5309
Kodos
Resident Alien

Or all of the Ernest movies.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #5310
Butter
Coordinator

All the Fast and Furious movies.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #5311
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No thanks- I want to actually enjoy the majority of the movies if I'm going to watch an entire set.

SI

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #5312
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just found out that the girl who wrote The Heat is a girl who I grew up with that lived down the street.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #5313
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Or all of the Ernest movies.

They started mailing it in after Ernest Scared Stupid.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #5314
korme
Go Reds

Didn't find The Heat funny at all.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #5315
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Didn't find The Heat funny at all.

That just looks like a movie women will love and men will hate.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #5316
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
That just looks like a movie women will love and men will hate.

Well I gave it the Bridesmaids benefit of the doubt, which I have yet to see but most guys find funny. Also, the 63% on RT isn't bad for a comedy. Still, it did nothing for me.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #5317
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

A Band Called Death - 10/10 A forgotten band rockumentary that might be even better than Anvil! was. It really is incredible these guys came up with the sound they did when they did and where they did, and the story behind their rediscovery is also pretty incredible. Glad to know they are making new music now.

Somm - 9/10 - Absolutely fascinating look at the world of the Master Sommelier exam. Follows several guys who happen to be friends as they study and test themselves as they prep for the exam. Really crazy what they need to know.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #5318
Groundhog
Coordinator

Man Of Steel - 9/10
I was expecting 'meh', largely because I'm sick of watching origin stories well all know all over again every single reboot, but this one did a good job of it IMO. I also appreciated that it wasn't a movie about the Louis Lane/Clark Kent romance or the Smallville 'growing up' stuff. The fact that I know less about Superman (ie. I didn't know who General Zod was outside of a vague recollection) than other superheroes helps. But yeah, it was a big dumb Hollywood epic pic that I could switch off my brain and enjoy a whole heap. They definitely made the right choice as far as casting for Superman went.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #5319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I just saw less than five minutes of Sharknado on SyFy. It already surpassed the legendary Atomic Twister for sheer absurdity.

This could very well be legitimately in Plan 9 territory. I shall report back when/if I see the entire thing.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #5320
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sharknado has blown up the internet the past 24 hours.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #5321
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the exciting conclusion to Sharknado is coming up now. LMAO.

A shark just landed in front of Mann's. Another one blew through a billboard.

This is hilariously absurd.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #5322
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So detonating an explosive inside a tornado is now enough to make the tornado stop?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #5323
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LMAO. He jumped into the mouth of the Great White with his chainsaw going and cut his way out from inside.

LMFAO.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #5324
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Dude, like spoiler alert or something.

Ok, nobody cares.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #5325
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Ok, nobody cares.

in my own defense, i just turned this on one minute ago just to get a sense of how absurd it truly was
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #5326
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
LMAO. He jumped into the mouth of the Great White with his chainsaw going and cut his way out from inside.

LMFAO.
And pulled out the girl who had been swallowed whole when falling from the helicopter 10 minutes earlier. Overall, closer to Birdemic levels of bad than good camp like Spring Break: Shark Attack . . . - Front Office Football Central
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #5327
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And pulled out the girl who had been swallowed whole when falling from the helicopter 10 minutes earlier. Overall, closer to Birdemic levels of bad than good camp like Spring Break: Shark Attack . . . - Front Office Football Central

I hadn't seen that part
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #5328
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I just saw less than five minutes of Sharknado on SyFy. It already surpassed the legendary Atomic Twister for sheer absurdity.

This could very well be legitimately in Plan 9 territory. I shall report back when/if I see the entire thing.
I expected the campiness and absurdity going in... but the horrible sound editing, constant cuts between 4 different weather patterns in the background, and complete lack of spatial recognition were where it made its money. You'd have one person getting sucked up into a tornado and 4 people standing 10 feet away completely unaffected.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #5329
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Monsters University - 6/10

My oldest kid is just hitting movie theater age, so this is actually the first kid's movie I have watched start to finish in quite some time. The movies she/they watch at home, I barely pay attention to. Anyway, this wasn't really that funny, or clever, but it wasn't boring either. It was just OK for adults. Kid loved it of course. There was a short movie about umbrellas before this played and it was the worst 10 minutes of film I have ever seen.

This is the End - 7/10

I went in expecting this to be a 10/10 film, but I was let down a little. It was still a good movie, but it was not great. I do think this will be a movie that gets better with repeat viewings and probably, in 5 years from now, be an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 07-12-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #5330
tarcone
Coordinator

Pitch Perfect- 9/10

This is a just plain great movie. Its funny, has great music, characters you can love, characters you will dislike, a great ending. I kept seeing it on HBO, but blew it off from the description. A couple nights ago, my daughter had a friend spend the night and she wanted to watch it, so we sat down and watched it. I have seen it about 3 or 4 times since.

Good stuff.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #5331
tarcone
Coordinator

And on the Syfy subject. Today there is a marathon of "great" animal flicks (all times CST):

9 am-- Eye of the Beast- Giant Squid killing residents of small town
11 am-- Supergator- Geologists encounter giat gator investigating an actice volcano in Hawaii.
1 pm-- Snakehead Terror- small town sheriff tries to kill mutated fish that can survive out of water
3 pm-- Mega- Piranha- Mutated strain of giant piranha escape from jungle rivers and eat their way to FLorida
5 pm-- Mega Python vs. Gatoroid- Gigantic snakes and alligators battle in the Florida everglades

Syfy on FIRE!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 07-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #5332
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not recent, but a review I wrote last year. It pretty much sums up all the Asylum movies, and how once you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.

Two Headed Shark Attack: 35 Out Of 100 Stars

It's been awhile since I've been down to watch one of these Asylum schlock fests. The fact of the matter is that they're all pretty much the same and can get a bit tedious once you realize you're goofing on the same things in every movie. But with an extended break I decided to re break my cherry and settled in for a doozy of an awful film.

The premise is that a group of college kids, for whatever reason, are spending a semester at sea, apparently somewhere near Polynesia. Their boat gets attacked by a two headed shark and the rest of the film of ensues.

Brooke Hogan is one of the students, looking as manly as ever. Carmen Electra plays a doctor or a scientist or something, I dunno. She is given nothing to do in the movie and still manages to turn in one of the worst acting jobs I've EVER seen. Charlie O'Connell, the brother of the real O'Connell actor, also co-stars, and is pretty awful in his right.

So ok. Their ship gets damaged by a two headed shark. O'Connell insists that they're sinking, even though in the entire length of the movie the boat doesn't go down an inch and never appears to be taking on water. They spot an Island either very far away or very close, depending on which shot is used in the final cut. For some unknown reason, O'Connell decides it would be a good idea for the students to leave the boat and go to the Island to..........look for scrap metal.

So the students use a life boat to go this Island while a hot blonde girl whose job I do not remember, maybe she was the teacher, goes under the boat to try and weld the hull that has a crack in it. When they get to the island, O'Connell tells them that this is not an island, but atoll, built upon coral, which explains why the island randomly shakes and sinks a little bit. Ok. They find a few buildings on the island but they're empty. Charlie again explains that it's probably only used during fishing season. What other seasons are there in Polynesia? Do they work as accountants the rest of the year?

Alright, so as soon as they get on the island they begin to look for.........boats. Which they find. Two motor boats, that Brooke Hogan "tunes up" because that's her skill or something. A group of students get in each boat and they decide to race. Then the shark attacks one of them and from there it becomes a game of how do we get away from this monster shark.

The characters are pretty non descript except for a muscle head written as broadly as possible. Look at his guns. Then there's the smart one who has a giant nose and an answer for every dilemma. There are a bunch of big titted chicks, including two who decide to fulfill one of the guys dreams by having a 3 way as they stand in about 2 feet of water and get attacked by the shark.

Let's point out, if not discuss in great length, some of the problems with the movie. First of all, the shark is either 30 feet long or 3 feet long, depending on the boat it's attacking. When it's attacking the main boat it's as big as it, but when it's attacking a speed boat, it's smaller than it.

The teeth bend in a lot of the shots that bounce between photoshop and puppetry. Attack victims drain copious amounts of blood in one shot, but are fine in the next shot, then their head gets ripped off and in the next shot it's still on. This giant shark is somehow able to not only sneak up on people standing in 3 feet of water, but actually get to them. The perspectives are ridiculous as I mentioned earlier. One scene they'll be looking at the boat off in the far distance from the island and the next minute we see a wide shot of the boat about 200 feet from the island. This happens the whole movie. And while it was funny at the moment, it's not really funny when it's intended to be like that. It's funny if the makers of the movie had no money and this is what happens, it's not funny when they have the ability to fix shit like but don't because it's funnier this way. It's really not.

The script is ludicrous of course. The acting is awful and the effects are horrid. But I guess I had fun watching it, mainly because I had someone to watch it with and we both enjoyed pointing out all the dumb shit, but that'll only get you so far.

So unless you're stoned or absolutely into this type of film, I don't imagine you could put up with it very long. That being said, if you're looking for an MST3K type of experience, it probably doesn't get much better than this atrocity.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #5333
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just finished watching Pacific Rim.It was a love letter to fans of giant mecha and monsters clashing. The little kid in me is still giddy.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #5334
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Just finished watching Pacific Rim.It was a love letter to fans of giant mecha and monsters clashing. The little kid in me is still giddy.

It's just too bad in addition to giant mecha and monsters, they couldn't also add a story, characters, humor, two cents worth of logic or some meaningful dialogue. Really any of them would have been fine.

But the monsters and robots were cool. Plus, I love Guillermo del Toro's vision for making things look freakishly awesome.

But I still would have liked a decent story in there.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #5335
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I read they had four hours worth of movie and then cut it down so I assume much of it was lost in the transition.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #5336
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
It's just too bad in addition to giant mecha and monsters, they couldn't also add a story, characters, humor, two cents worth of logic or some meaningful dialogue. Really any of them would have been fine.

But the monsters and robots were cool. Plus, I love Guillermo del Toro's vision for making things look freakishly awesome.

But I still would have liked a decent story in there.

It was delightfully Starship Troopers-esque, and I thought it was a good thing.

"TODAY, WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!"
Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #5337
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So I'm a fairly casual Rotten Tomatoes user. I was looking at the latest releases and noticed that Grown Up 2 has a 7% tomatometer, but 90% of users liked it.

WTF???
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #5338
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Ok, nobody cares.

I care. :P

Spoilers piss me off.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #5339
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
So I'm a fairly casual Rotten Tomatoes user. I was looking at the latest releases and noticed that Grown Up 2 has a 7% tomatometer, but 90% of users liked it.

WTF???

That's so sad
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #5340
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That's so sad

And it has already made over $41 million.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #5341
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

WTF???

Dude, Sandler wakes up and there is a deer in his bedroom. Dude and if that isn't just ca-razy enough, it pees on him! High comedy. I'm stoked.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #5342
Dutch
"Dutch"

42 - 8/10

So, I'm an old dude...I turned 42 years old yesterday (Sunday). And one day when you are 42 if you still like to play video games and shit, good for you for not turning into a crusty old dude at 42....but anyway I digress...I finished remodeling the landscaping in front of the house (which was 2 days of sweat-drenched "fun" in this Florida heat), took a spin on the Harley...and then sat down with the fam to watch 42. I figured I'd fall asleep after the hard-days work...but really enjoyed it. A very well done movie that seems to do Jackie Robinson and the era some credit (well, the era got credit for change and discredit for being what it was). Even a bit of props sent out to the military for integrating before baseball did. If you haven't seen it, it's a must see for baseball fans.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #5343
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

So has anyone seen "The Act of Killing"? Reviews are great. My friend wants me to go but it looks like quite the downer, so I figured I'd check here.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #5344
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

WTF???

Pretty sure thats just the Sandler fanboys who go and see everything he makes. It will drop as time goes by and other people who are less impressed with grade school jokes weigh in.

FUCK EA
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #5345
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Pretty sure thats just the Sandler fanboys who go and see everything he makes. It will drop as time goes by and other people who are less impressed with grade school jokes weigh in.

Down to 61%.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #5346
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If someone made a stock market for the fan rating on rotten tomatoes I would buy huge shares of every single Sandler and Tyler Perry movie before they released, then sell as soon as the meter hit 90%.

FUCK EA
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #5347
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Other F Word 10/10

Fantastic documentary about guys in punk rock coming of age and having families and going through changes in priorities. The film revolves around the lead singer of Pennywise and his 3 daughters and the struggles of being on the road all the time.

The film also features a wide range of guys,mostly lead singers, including lead singers from from Blink 182, Everclear, black Flag, the Vandals, NOFX, Rancid. Flea was in it as well.

Just a fantastic film.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #5348
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

WTF???

I actually kinda like the original Grown-Ups and the second one looked amusing from the previews, though I haven't seen it yet.

Is it LCD humor? Yeah. Is it good for a few cheap, mindless laughs that are oddly cheering? Yep.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #5349
Izulde
Head Coach

Life of Pi - 5/10
No question it's pretty, and there's promise early in the movie, but once it gets to the ocean, the whole thing just drags, drags, drags. I'm actually being generous with the 5 because I recognize there's a lot of technical polish here, but in terms of actual entertainment and keeping my interest, it's just not there.

That I said, I can see why people love it. It's just that for me personally, it's mediocre at best as far as actual enjoyment goes.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #5350
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Life of Pi - 5/10
No question it's pretty, and there's promise early in the movie, but once it gets to the ocean, the whole thing just drags, drags, drags. I'm actually being generous with the 5 because I recognize there's a lot of technical polish here, but in terms of actual entertainment and keeping my interest, it's just not there.

That I said, I can see why people love it. It's just that for me personally, it's mediocre at best as far as actual enjoyment goes.

To me it was a beautiful film, but was like an incredibly boring version of Forrest Gump. Its the kind of movie that is excellent to put on before you go to sleep. To me, pacing like that works best with stuff like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

FUCK EA