Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #751
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Smoking Aces: 8/10 - Good movie, lots of action.. well, shooting and killing.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #752
Johnny93g
College Starter

Disturbia 7/10

I wasn't planning on seeing it, but a friend reccomended it to me, and i trust his opinion when it comes to movies. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised. This movie had a certain charm that you don't really see in thrillers. The whole opening allowed you to feel sympathetic to the main character. I thought the director concentrated more on the story then trying to shock the audience, which is good. Oh, and the female lead....what a body!!!!

Shia Labeuf is a good actor. This kid has impressed me twice now. I'm actually looking forward to Transformer's mainly because Shia is in it.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-06-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #753
Lorena
Unregistered

El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)

An 8 year old boy is dropped off in an orphanage where a ghost resides. Classic ghost story directed by Guillermo del Toro (English subtitles). Thanks Icy for the recommendation, it was an excellent movie.

Spartacus

I was a little hesitant to watch this move because of it's length but it was way worth it; there were no slow parts at all. The fight scene at the end makes you appreciate the extensive choreography that went into it. I kept looking at the soldiers/slaves march and think of Lord of the Rings where everything was CGI... absolutely amazing.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #754
moriarty
College Starter

Blood Diamond 8/10

Good solid flick. Dealt with the civil wars in Africa and the topic of conflict diamonds. Occasionally veered close to the preachy side (exploting Africa, no one cares, etc.), but never crossed the line.

DiCaprio was solid. Almost made me forget about the Titanic.

I thought the journalist lady's performance paled in comparison and the last 5 minutes was weak (they should have just cut out the end). Also it felt a bit streched out at just over 2 hours. But good entertainment all the same.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #755
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Deja Vu - 9/10: Denzel was his usual great self and the story was good. It was one of those where you had to watch or miss something. Could be an 8, but I have a Denzel tilt added to it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #756
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Disturbia 7/10

I wasn't planning on seeing it, but a friend reccomended it to me, and i trust his opinion when it comes to movies. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised. This movie had a certain charm that you don't really see in thrillers. The whole opening allowed you to feel sympathetic to the main character. I thought the director concentrated more on the story then trying to shock the audience, which is good. Oh, and the female lead....what a body!!!!

Shia Labeuf is a good actor. This kid has impressed me twice now. I'm actually looking forward to Transformer's mainly because Shia is in it.

"There was a bag of shit. A bag of shit, a bag of shit!" That one line had me cracking up... it was the last time he said "bag of shit" that really made it. Im very much with you, it was an unexpectedly enjoyable movie. And i'm very on-board with LaBeouf as an actor. Good in everything I've seen him in.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #757
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Find Me Guilty - 7.5/10

Vin Diesel as a mafia member on trial, and he decides to defend himself. And man, Diesel acted the shit out this. He was excellent, and it was an entertaining movie through and through.

Diggers - 6.5/10

This movie premiered in theaters and on HDNet on the same night, and I think hit DVD stores 4 days later. Pretty solid movie with a cast I loved - Paul Rudd, Ken Marino (who also wrote it), Maura Tierney, and others I cant remember right now...about clam diggers on Long Island in the 1970's. Solid story, worth a watch.

The Puffy Chair - 5/10

An indie movie about a dude in his late 20's/early 30's who is just stuck in his life as a guy, not yet a man. He goes on a roadtrip to pick up a recliner he bought for his father's birthday - the same style recliner his dad had when he was growing up. He brings his girlfriend along thanks to a guilt trip, and meets up with his emo brother halfway through. Not terribly funny, but more poignant than I expected. Terrible camerawork though, could make some dizzy.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #759
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
Find Me Guilty - 7.5/10

Vin Diesel as a mafia member on trial, and he decides to defend himself. And man, Diesel acted the shit out this. He was excellent, and it was an entertaining movie through and through.

Thanks for reminding me of this movie. I remember wanting to see it when it came out, but never got around to it.

Diesel gets stereotyped a lot because of his action hero status, but I think he's actually a pretty underrated actor. I would particularly point out Pitch Black, Boiler Room and Fast and Furious. Nothing nearly Oscar worthy, of course, but better than your usual "dumb jock."
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #760
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Match Point - 9/10

Considered giving it a 10/10. Been on my list for a while, but I never got around to watching it. Mostly because I think I've been looking for lighter fare and comedies lately. But this is one Hell of a dark movie. Great acting from all the leads and just a wonderfully written story (especially the leads).
It draws you in and keeps you engaged the entire time. The ending was a bit of surprise to me (almost forgot I wasn't watching a cliched Hollywood flick and rather an Allen picture), but definately fits the theme.

Perhaps the only thing that gets the 1 point off is the pace of the story early on in the movie. The times people are together seem to never really gel well enough.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #761
Lorena
Unregistered

Goodfellas
7.2/10

Eh... it was good, but not great. Another movie I was excited to watch and it wasn't all that. I enjoyed most of the characters but Ray Liotta just didn't do it for me. Not the kind of movie I'll watch again.

Charlie's Angels 2
4.5/10

Wow was this movie God-awful. I remember watching it when it first came out but after watching it again yesterday, it sucked ass. Too many close-ups of the girls and everything was extremely exaggerated. Bernie Mac even went down a few levels after the movie. Terrible, terrible terrible.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 AM   #762
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

28 Weeks Later
5/10

There is some stuff I like in the movie, but in the end it played out just as I thought it would when we were only 15 minutes into it. So the story is kind of weak basically, and to me it made it so it didn't matter if certain characters lived or not.

The begining was probably the best part of the movie, to bad it didn't hold up to that.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #763
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Goodfellas
7.2/10

Eh... it was good, but not great. Another movie I was excited to watch and it wasn't all that. I enjoyed most of the characters but Ray Liotta just didn't do it for me. Not the kind of movie I'll watch again.

WOW....If you came to my house and said that, you might end up burried right beside Billy Batts!!!!

I have probably seen this 100 times, and it never gets old
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-13-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #764
Johnny93g
College Starter

Spider Man 3 4/10

Very dissapointing. It was about 45 minutes too long. I think Tobey Maguire was just plain bad. This guy is not a superhero. I didnt really care about any of the characters other then James Franco. I didnt really understand how the Sandman became the Sandman and could take the shape of the Staypuff marshmellow man!!! Kirsten Dunst didnt look very good at all. J. Jonah Jameson was the best part of the movie.
TML
Old 05-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #765
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Match Point - 9/10

Considered giving it a 10/10. Been on my list for a while, but I never got around to watching it. Mostly because I think I've been looking for lighter fare and comedies lately. But this is one Hell of a dark movie. Great acting from all the leads and just a wonderfully written story (especially the leads).
It draws you in and keeps you engaged the entire time. The ending was a bit of surprise to me (almost forgot I wasn't watching a cliched Hollywood flick and rather an Allen picture), but definately fits the theme.

Perhaps the only thing that gets the 1 point off is the pace of the story early on in the movie. The times people are together seem to never really gel well enough.

This was a true "surprise movie" for me. My girlfriend took me to see it, and I thought it was that Wimbeldon romance movie that was out around the same time that I was going to see, so I had no idea that this was the Woody Allen picture. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised at how it turned out. I agree with your rating too, 9/10 sounds about right.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #766
larrymcg421
Head Coach

28 Weeks Later (8/10)

A terrific idea for a sequel. Very enjoyable film with some great action sequences. It even kinda reproduces a situation that was only talked about in the original. I like how it set up multiple groups of villains for the survivors to be worried about. My main complaint is the contrived way in which security is breached (twice) for the outbreak to take place. Saw the ending coming, but still enjoyed it.

Day Night Day Night (7/10)

This is an independent movie that follows a young woman who is preparing to be a suicide bomber. You don't know her ethnicity, her religion, or her political motivation. The film rather plainly follows the various mundane activities that take place before she sets off on her mission. It's more interesting than it is dramatically compelling, but still worth watching if you get a chance.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #767
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
This was a true "surprise movie" for me. My girlfriend took me to see it, and I thought it was that Wimbeldon romance movie that was out around the same time that I was going to see, so I had no idea that this was the Woody Allen picture. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised at how it turned out. I agree with your rating too, 9/10 sounds about right.

Gonna have to agree with ISiddiqui and Groundhog here. I caught this on HBO one sleepless night, and it really hooked me. This was the first Woody Allen movie I had ever seen. Just fantastic, in my mind. I can see why the man gets paid to make movies, but I still would rather do anything else than hang out with him.

It's kinda like the opposite of the "I may not like the job he does, but I'd sure like to have a beer with him" situation.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #768
Bad-example
College Starter

Shadowboxer - 8/10

Rotten Tomatoes shows that this is not a well-regarded film (21%) but I thought it was original with a solid cast and very good direction. I really liked the look of the movie. Cuba Gooding Jr was great in a very different role than we are used to seeing from him.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #769
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Gonna have to agree with ISiddiqui and Groundhog here. I caught this on HBO one sleepless night, and it really hooked me. This was the first Woody Allen movie I had ever seen. Just fantastic, in my mind. I can see why the man gets paid to make movies, but I still would rather do anything else than hang out with him.

It's kinda like the opposite of the "I may not like the job he does, but I'd sure like to have a beer with him" situation.

See, i loved match point too...my first woody allen flick as well. Then i saw Scoop, and i utterly hate woody allen now.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #770
sabotai
General Manager

Pan's Labyrinth - 9/10

One of the few times I was expecting to really like a movie and I did. Usually when I get my hopes up, no matter how good the movie really is, I am usually disappointed (if the movie really is good, I generally come around to thinking that after my initial disappointment fades). Not the case with this movie. It definitely delivered.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #771
Pyser
Pro Rookie

London - 5/10

A trainwreck of a movie where the guy from Fantastic 4 does coke all movie in a bathroom with Jason Statham (with hair!), trying to figure out how to get back together with Jessica Biel, who is constantly almost naked but not really. Also, Dane Cook and Louis CK have seperate scenes - which is hilarious since Dane was later accused of stealing Louis' material.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #772
korme
Go Reds

The Ex - Zach Braff, Amanda Peet, Jason Bateman, the guy from the Beethoven movies. Better than I expected since I hated Braff's last flick (The Last Kiss). It was funny, more situational comedy than anything. Good movie to see with a lady. 7/10

Smokin' Aces - Piven is great, isn't he? This film was a little more over the top than I would have liked, but what did I expect I guess. I hate renting movies that I really wanted to see in the theatre, because my expectations just get too high. Good action film. 7/10

The Last King of Scotland - Whitaker played his role amazingly, no wonder he got the Oscar. It's just such a crazy character, by definition, and he portrayed him so well. McAvoy wasn't outstanding but he wasn't bad. Good flick. 8/10

Because I Said So - Mandy Moore, Diane Keaton. Woohoo. So glad I got to see this. No, not really. It was cheesy and predictable. Classic chick flick. It was bearable, however. 3/10

Catch and Release - This was not! Jennifer Garner plays a recent widow who finds her mate wasn't all he was cracked up to be. And then she falls in love with his best friend. As soon as that happened I couldn't stand it. How unreaL 0.1/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #773
korme
Go Reds

By the way, I have to mention this. I'm sitting on the couch with the DVD player on; I've been like this for near 2 hours this morning. And the whole time, The Godfather is in, loading screen on. And, I don't know if anyone else has the DVD or not, but the creepy kid singing is probably going to be in my head all day. And that isn't a good thing.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #774
Lorena
Unregistered

Pan's Labyrinth
9.0/10

I like the different colors used when switching from RL to fantasy. Like sabotai, I was expecting this to be a good movie and it actually was. I enjoyed the look of it more than the story, although the story was pretty good.

Anyone that has seen this movie should consider renting "The Devil's Backbone" which is like a sister movie to Pan's Labyrinth. A couple of the boy actors in Devil's Backbone had minor roles (more like extras really) in Pan's Labyrinth.

The Siege
9.0/10

Wow, just wow. It's amazing that this movie was filmed 3 years before 9/11 and a lot of the things that happened in the movie were eerily similar to what happened IRL. Great movie but scary stuff.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #775
Groundhog
Coordinator

Children of Men - 9/10

Wow. This was great - every bit as good as I was hoping. I'm not the kind of guy who usually pays much attention to cinematography, but in this movie it really took it to the next level. The single-shot scenes, some quite intense and lasting for over 5 minutes, really sucked you in to the movie and made the action sequences a whole ton more shocking and real.

Story wise it was entertaining, and I'd managed to stay ignorant enough of the plot to be surprised through-out. The actors all nailed their parts too, with not a single bad performance to be seen IMO, with Clive Owen in particular doing an excellent job.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #776
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quicksand - 1/10

Bear with me, a movie this bad needs to be explained. Michael Keaton plays a guy that works for some bank, who sits in his office all day, waiting for his computer to blink at him telling him a large amount of money somewhere in the world has been moved. So it blinks, and he goes to Nice, France to check it out. There, russian mobsters have pretended to film a movie starring an actor played by Michael Caine, who doesnt know it's fake.

That sounds like the plot, right? WRONG!

While there, Keaton is inexplicably framed for murdering the chief of police (by leaving an enormous rifle on a balcony that Keaton for some reason picks up just as someone else kills the police chief). Nevermind that any ballistics test could prove he never fired a gun, Keaton runs.

Somewhere along the way he also gets caught up in an internet rape thing where bad people bus in mail order brides or something.

Oh, and Caine has a gambling debt, which leads to him helping Keaton out, but not really, because while Keaton says "I didn't kill anyone", Caine keeps screaming "where's my fucking money?!"

It got 1 point for lots of nudity, however.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #777
Pyser
Pro Rookie

United 93 - 8/10

Stunning. Powerful. Provocative. I sat there for 5 minutes after it ended, in complete silence.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:11 AM   #778
Bad-example
College Starter

Mirrormask - 3/10

This movie has some really nice special effects and the overall look is pretty unique and interesting, but the story is a jumbled snooze. I suppose the makers were mainly aiming for the preteen audience but I think kids and adults alike will be scratching their heads during this one, especially in the second half. Neil Gaiman is one of the writers, so I guess if you are a fan of his (I am not) it might be worth a look.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #779
Lorena
Unregistered

American Psycho - 7.8/10

Umm... I wasn't sure how to rate this movie. Christian Bale plays a psychopathic executive who hides his absurd fantasies from his co-workers. The dialogue was so hysterically funny but the end left me kind of wondering. Overall it was a good, solid movie.

Stranger than Fiction 8.7/10

Will Ferrell finds himself the subject of a writer's story. I found myself laughing at some scenes but wondered how I'd react if it had been a serious actor.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #780
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Pirates of the Carribean 3: At World's End - 7/10

Really enjoyable big budget action flick. Not as good as the first one (I'd rate it 9/10), but definately better than the second one (5/10 for me). Some people thought the story was too convoluted, but I enjoyed it and was able to follow it fairly easily. Also I like my action movies with some plot . Some of the movie was too drawn out or too silly, but on the whole it worked nicely.

And the big battle at the end is some of the greatest action sequences you'll ever see.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #781
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, right, I forgot I saw another movie on DVD the other day:

Casino Royale - 7/10

Going back to the books type of Bond movie. Gone are all the jetpacks and silly playboy activities, to be replaced with a sense of brutality and menace. This Bond uses his strength and wits to defeat enemies, not high powered toys. And it is definately a welcome change. Daniel Craig fits the role like a glove and I'm looking forward to seeing more Bong flicks with him in it and with the darker view of the spy business as in this movie. And I loved how the ending was done, keeping it open.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #782
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui/
Daniel Craig fits the role like a glove and I'm looking forward to seeing more Bong flicks with him in it and with the darker view of the spy business as in this movie. And I loved how the ending was done, keeping it open.

Nothing better then bong movies. I look forward to himin a new Cheech and Chong.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-27-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #783
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'm curious how many of you movie buffs have netflix? I really enjoy the ratings / reviews and would like to add some people to my netflixs friends list to get some more ideas for good movies.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #784
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Letters of Iwo Jima - 8/10

I was really looking forward to this movie, and it was very well made. It seemed a little drawn out, and very long...but still a great movie. An 8 because for anything to be higher I want to go away feeling like "I want to watch that again" and after the movie ended I just didn't have that feeling.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #785
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I'm curious how many of you movie buffs have netflix? I really enjoy the ratings / reviews and would like to add some people to my netflixs friends list to get some more ideas for good movies.

DC and I have Netflix.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #786
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

I don't know how it is I made it through life without it.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #787
Lorena
Unregistered

Apocalypto - 8.5-10

I am in awe of Mel Gibson's energy when directing this film; it couldn't have been easy to direct 700 cast members many of whom didn't speak english. Fantastic make-up and costumes as well... all costumes were hand-made.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #788
Sgran
High School Varsity

Charlotte's Web 9/10

For those of you with kids, go check out Charlotte's Web. Very well done and a nice break from the carbon copy Disney movies. I dare you not to cry at the end (my 7-year old daughter cried for two minutes straight, which was good cover for me). Funny, intellegent movie.

Spidey 3 -- 7/10

It's worth the price of admission for the fight scenes. If you're a fan, don't be put off by what you hear. It's still a Sam Raimey film, even if the ending was stunningly predictable.

Catwoman 1/10

It's hard to imagine a worse Superhero movie. Her final fight scene with Sharon Stone has to be the most laughable, anti-climatic conclusion of all time. Seriously, can someone come up with a less threatening villian?

Last edited by Sgran : 06-17-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #789
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Knocked Up
9/10

I went in with high expectations (because many of my friends had seen it already) and my expectations were met! The biggest downer of the movie for me was that I was watching it with a bunch of rude people in the theater, including some high schoolers who were pissy the entire time because some of their friends got busted trying to theater-hop and a foreigner in my row who needed jokes explained to him...

Didn't get a 10/10 because I thought it could have been a smidge shorter (some fluff could've been left out) and because I felt like they spent a decent amount of time developing the Paul Rudd/his wife storyline and I felt that got dropped a little bit.

Still a good flick.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #790
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Knocked Up
10/10

Funny. One of the best movies I have seen all year.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #791
KWhit
Coordinator

Spiderman 3:

A big pile of suck. This movie was terrible. In honor of it being the 3rd movie in the franchise, I'll give it 3/10. And that's being generous. I thought the second one was bad, but it was an instant classic compared to this one. Every single event in the plot was a contrived mess. The acting was horrible, the fight scenes were predictible and repetitious, and the Venom storyline was a tiny afterthought that seeemed thrown in because the producers knew that the Sandman was a lame villain that wouldn't sell any action figures.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #792
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Seventh Seal - 10/10

Fired it up again on the weekend, and it reminded me of just how much of an absolute classic this film is. Top 10 material for me.

Star Wars Episode 1 - 5.5/10

We had a Star Wars marathon, but only made it through the first 3 before crashing... I'd only ever seen the three prequels once a piece back when they came out, so it was interesting to catch them again. This one is by far the weakest, thanks largely to the annoying little boy playing Anakin, but he's also given a big hand by a weak script that is far too "kiddy" for its own good. The special effects never looked that realistic to start with, but they haven't aged well at all.

Star Wars Episode 2 - 7/10

Much better than the first one, but spoilt in a few places due to some shoddy acting by, well, pretty much everyone. I just don't think it's very easy to act against the blue screen, especially not with this script, because guys who are generally solid actors often aren't even close to nailing their parts IMO. Acting aside, the action and pace are about ten times better in this one than the last, which bumps it up a couple of notches.

Star Wars Episode 3 - 6.5/10

Starts strong, cruises throughout the middle, and then goes on a little too long at the end. Biggest problem with this film was, like the final Lord of the Rings movie, the climax was too drawn out, and I was ready for it to end a fair bit sooner than it did. Acting wise I thought it was a little better than the second (though far from even 'average'), but it suffered from some of the problems from the first film. In particular, the scene where he is riding on the back of the lizard thing was just about the least impressive bit of CGI I've seen in a motion picture in a long time. Still, it was enjoyable, and a decent finish to the prequel trilogy.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #793
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Star Wars Episode 1 - 5.5/10

Star Wars Episode 2 - 7/10

Star Wars Episode 3 - 6.5/10

Being the Star Wars geek that I am, I see a lot of potential in these movies, but largely agree with your ratings on them, although I might take them all down a notch or two. One of things I'd like to do at some point is copy them to my PC and edit out all of the crap that's in them. Edit out the cheesy one-liners (and the whiney one-liners from Anakin, "He's hold me back! WAH!") and not to mention the "NOOOOOOO!!!", any mention of Midiclorians (sp?) and edit Jar-Jar out of the first one as much as possible. I wonder how much better they would be if someone did just those 3 things...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #795
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
to the "victorious, advanced" white guys at the end

Im particularly interested in this part of your review? What in the world are you talking about?

The entire message of the movie to me, was about not being able to see the forest for the trees. Certainly you can debate the historical accuracy of the film (apparently its fucking awful), but as a movie, i think the message is clear and the film itself is entertaining. It's about a culture/society being so caught up fighting one enemy/issue and being completely oblivious to much, much larger problems looming on the horizon.

And if you want to read nothing into the movie at all, i thought it worked fantastically well as an action movie.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #796
miked
College Starter

Jarhead- 3/10- I almost fell asleep a few times. I think this movie just seemed to either steal from older, better movies, or was just flat out boring. I get it, the marines are tough, they are a little crazy, and war can be boring too. What a waste of 2 hours.

The Fountain- 8/10- I've never been so confused since Donnie Darko. I really liked the imagery and the jumping around. I still have no idea what was going on, but I felt really attached and interested in the story and players. Maybe I'll try and read some more about it, but I thought it was really good. Plus, I read a story about it a few months ago in Wired about how Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette abandonded the film and the budget was slashed. Pretty funny.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #798
SFL Cat
College Starter

Spiderman 3 6/10

Spidey has always been my favorite super hero. This movie had some good parts -- but overall it was lacking. Probably would have been better just to concentrate on Venom, as Sandman has never done much for me, even in the comic. The climax was contrived and very disappointing. Probably deserved a 4 or 5, but it gets a bump because its about Spiderman.

Pirates 3 5/10

Oh my God...will this movie NEVER end.................

Shrek 3 6/10

Not bad. But if you've seen the first two, you've seen this one. They didn't bring anything new to the table, and the whole Shrek-verse is starting to feel a little too familiar.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. 7/10

I really didn't like the first one much, and I wasn't expecting anything from the second. However, it was a fun popcorn movie - much better than the original. As a Marvel comics purist, I didn't like what they did with Galactus -- but other than that, it's been the best comic book movie of the summer so far. Note: Ordinarily, I think Jessica Alba is a total hottie! However, I didn't think she looked good in this movie at all.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-18-2007 at 09:43 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #799
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
It was right out of the manifest destiny bs playbook. Let the supreme, educated white guy come and "save" the ignorant, godless natives from themselves. Ruins the movie if you have even the tiniest clue about the Mayan empire and the history of the Americas.

Huh... I didn't get that in the slightest. Are you sure you aren't reading things into the movie? Not like the protagonist's tribe would have fared any better with the Spanish than with the Mayans.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #800
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Huh... I didn't get that in the slightest. Are you sure you aren't reading things into the movie? Not like the protagonist's tribe would have fared any better with the Spanish than with the Mayans.

Yeah, im equally baffled to the point of wondering if we saw the same version of the movie.