Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #851
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
1408 -- 9/10

My heart raced for an hour non-stop in this movie. Cusack (who I normally hate) was very good.

I would probably rate it a 7.5 or 8, but that might have something to do with the middle school field trip that attended the movie with us. In general it was very enjoyable with lots of good tension. One of the guys I went with walked out of the theater with leg cramps because he was so tense for so long.

Last edited by BrianD : 06-24-2007 at 09:06 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #852
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Cusack (who I normally hate) was very good.

I didn't know anyone hated John Cusack. How can you hate John Cusack? 16 Candles, Better Off Dead, Sure Thing, One Crazy Summer, Say Anything, The Grifters, Gross Pointe Blank, Being John Malkovich, High Fidelity?

I thought everyone loved John Cusack.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #853
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I didn't know anyone hated John Cusack. How can you hate John Cusack? 16 Candles, Better Off Dead, Sure Thing, One Crazy Summer, Say Anything, The Grifters, Gross Pointe Blank, Being John Malkovich, High Fidelity?

I thought everyone loved John Cusack.

I don't know what it is. I don't know if its just the way he looks. The parts he's played....Just one of those things....so much so I've only seen two of the movies you've even listed along with Identity. What movie do you think he's at his best?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #854
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know what it is. I don't know if its just the way he looks. The parts he's played....Just one of those things....so much so I've only seen two of the movies you've even listed along with Identity. What movie do you think he's at his best?

If you've seen a few of his movies, you pretty much know what he is about. He seems to play pretty much the same type of character in every movie.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #855
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Say Anything is definitely Cusack at his best. He seriously creates one of the coolest characters I've ever seen on film.

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed." - Lloyd Dobler

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #856
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought he was great in 8 men out
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #857
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There are tons of movies to see John Cusack in, but I have always felt a good starting point (besides Say Anything) from HBlue's movies above would be Better Off Dead, Gross Pointe Blank and High Fidelity.

I don't see how anyone could watch those four movies and come away with the impression Cusack isn't one of the better underrated actors in our (X) generation.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #858
st.cronin
General Manager

Continuing my tour of French Cinema...

Red Best one yet. Non-traditional narrative, crazy visuals, and an ending that is pretty much perfect in every way, despite being a terrible cliche.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #859
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I thought he was great in 8 men out

QFT
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #860
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

you cant deny Cusack in Say Anything:

I got a question. If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #861
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Reno 911!: Miami!

6/10

I was going to give it 5 out of 10, but it earned a extra point with one quote:

"Get a load of Spoder!"
Old 06-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #862
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Van Wilder 2: Rise of Taj

1 out of 10 - STAY AWAY!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #863
Groundhog
Coordinator

Surely Van Wilder 1 was all the warning you needed to stay the heck away from 2??
Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 AM   #864
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Continuing my tour of French Cinema...

Red Best one yet. Non-traditional narrative, crazy visuals, and an ending that is pretty much perfect in every way, despite being a terrible cliche.

After reading your review I added it along with the other 2 installments of the color trilogy (Blue and White)... interesting concept.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #865
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Van Wilder 2: Rise of Taj

1 out of 10 - STAY AWAY!

Why in the world would you see that movie?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #866
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Surely Van Wilder 1 was all the warning you needed to stay the heck away from 2??

Van Wilder was actually a surprisingly entertaining movie.. the 2nd one looked so terrible though that I'm surprised anyone got suckered into it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #868
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

A Mighty Heart 8/10
The was a very good film. Angelina Jolie was fantastic as Mariane Pearl. And Irfan Khan was very good as Captain as well. I thought they showed violence inherent in the system on both sides very well without showing any on screen. Well worth your time in a summer of Sequels.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #869
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Queen Margot Ugh, totally incomprehensible. Its a biopic of Henry IVs wife, and there's lots of sex and violence and some violent sex thrown in as well. The story made no sense to me, although I'm not particularly familiar with the history. I also recently watched an Eric Rohmer film and Indochine, and I don't know what the hell I was thinking renting all these french films. They've all been terrible.

That movie did suck. Incidentally, so did the film I watched the other night that I'll review later, though it wasn't French.. I should have been warned when the box proudly shouted that it was in the vein of Queen Margot.

There's some good French films out there... seriously.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #870
Lorena
Unregistered

The Big Lebowski
9.1/10

Dude, shit, fuck, man, 'nam, bowling, White Russians... that's about the whole movie right there. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. John Goodman had me rolling especially after the fight outside the bowling alley, "You antisemite!"... oh fuck... just thinking about it makes me bust a gut. Fucking ridiculous man

Last edited by Lorena : 06-27-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #871
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
The Big Lebowski
9.1/10

Dude, shit, fuck, man, 'nam, bowling, White Russians... that's about the whole movie right there. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. John Goodman had me rolling especially after the fight outside the bowling alley, "You antisemite!"... oh fuck... just thinking about it makes me bust a gut. Fucking ridiculous man

I absolutely love this movie.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #872
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Some new shit has come to light, man...
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #873
Groundhog
Coordinator

The introduction scene of Jesus is one of the greatest scenes ever.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #874
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just got back from Surf's Up ... and thought about this thread before I even got out of the theater parking lot.

At worst, it's arguably the prettiest new animation I've seen in any movie. Simply gorgeous at times and yet believable, and if you remember any of the surfing documentaries like Endless Summer the influence on the cinematography (or whatever the animated equivalent is) is obvious.

It's not real deep (although there is enough story to hold the movie together), it's not preachy (although there is a moral to the story), it's not a laugh riot (although there are laughs).

What it is, though, is the most enjoyable animated movie I've seen in at least a year (and we see most of them) and the happiest I've been coming out of a theater in quite a while too.

What it isn't (contrary to impression that I believe might be hurting it a lot) is anything at all like Happy Feet, the penguin thing is pretty much coincidental & is hardly used as a plot device at all.

I have a feeling this won't last in the theaters much longer, with Ratatouille opening this weekend, but if you get a chance & enjoy modern animation then try to catch this before it closes. If you've got kids in the 5-10 age range, then I'd suggest putting it ahead of the opening weekend of Rat and catching it a week later.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #876
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Back to the Future 9/10
Old 06-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #877
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
8.5/10 - Excellent movie. Seemed like the ending was a bit too convenient, but Cusack was phenomenal in this and the whole concept was well done.

I'll go with this review of 1408. It was quite good.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #878
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you've got kids in the 5-10 age range, then I'd suggest putting it ahead of the opening weekend of Rat and catching it a week later.

Took all my kids (age 8-14) to Surf's Up and they loved it. Much better than the last 2 animated movies we saw -- Shrek the Third and Happily N'ever After.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #879
miked
College Starter

Quote:
The introduction scene of Jesus is one of the greatest scenes ever.

Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #880
twothree
College Prospect

Just watched the new Die Hard movie. I really enjoyed it. In my opinion it was as good as the first Die Hard movie. Lots of good old school action where the main character absorbs a ton of damage but keeps on going. It even had a few moments where the dialog had everyone in the theater laughing.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #881
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
Just watched the new Die Hard movie. I really enjoyed it. In my opinion it was as good as the first Die Hard movie. Lots of good old school action where the main character absorbs a ton of damage but keeps on going. It even had a few moments where the dialog had everyone in the theater laughing.

Not as good as the first one but definitely worth the money. Better than the second one and probably better than the third. Even at PG13, the movie will keep your attention. You'll have to suspend belief for a couple of scenes though!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:40 PM   #882
Lorena
Unregistered

Fast Food Nation
6.9/10

I appreciate the message this movie was trying to pass along, but they tried to do waaay too much in 113 minutes. If they got rid of the 20 minutes Ethan Hawke was in, it would have been a much, much better movie... dunno why he was even in it.

Anyway, great, great book.. not so great movie. Any movie Avril Lavigne is talking serious issues can't be taken too seriously. The acting was pretty bad in some parts too, not just by her. Do yourself a favor and read the book instead.

EDIT to add: Another thing that bothered me about this movie was when Mexicans were crossing the border illegally. The women's hair and makeup were darn near perfect and they were wearing pretty decent clothes. Not only that, but the supposed illegals had a very Americanized "Mexican accent", if that makes any sense.

Last edited by Lorena : 06-28-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #883
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
That movie did suck. Incidentally, so did the film I watched the other night that I'll review later, though it wasn't French.. I should have been warned when the box proudly shouted that it was in the vein of Queen Margot.

There's some good French films out there... seriously.

I thought Queen Margot was excellent. I haven't seen it in well over 10 years, but I quite enjoyed back in the day. I loved the political intrigue. I still can't believe that Isabelle Adjani was almost 40 when she was in that movie.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #884
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hard Candy
7/10

It was an interesting twist on the who pedophile/cyber-stalker as predator theme. I found some of it a bit far-fetched and over-the-top, but the two leads were excellent. I think there were 5 speaking roles in the entire movie, three of which have about a total of 3 minutes of screen time.

Ellen Page (who played Kitty Pryde in X-Men 3) was really, really impressive. I thought Patrick Wilson (who's been tabbed as Night Owl in the Watchmen movie) was excellent in a pretty thankless role. I have to say, knowing he was going to be Night Owl distracted me throughout the whole movie. (I think he'll make a great Night Owl, but he was a little young and far too fit to play him., but he had the right look and solid acting chaps).

Between the solid performances of the two leads what the director did with color in the film, there are just a ton of very vibrant primary colors throughout (I'm sure there was a rhyme or reason to them, but I'd have to watch it again to pick up the pattern), it was decent enough.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-28-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #885
Groundhog
Coordinator

Transformers - 5/10

Very dissapointing. Pretty, but absolutely no substance. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but they managed to almost completely screw up what should have been the easiest action flick in the world, and made it cringe-worthy for me. People all around me were laughing at unintentionally funny scenes right throughout.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #886
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Transformers - 5/10

Very dissapointing. Pretty, but absolutely no substance. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but they managed to almost completely screw up what should have been the easiest action flick in the world, and made it cringe-worthy for me. People all around me were laughing at unintentionally funny scenes right throughout.

how the hell did you see it already?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #887
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
how the hell did you see it already?

It's out in cinemas here in Australia.

It's not in the States yet?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #888
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
People all around me were laughing at unintentionally funny scenes right throughout.

Welp, this just moved from the "I couldn't care less" pile, to the "must rent" pile.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #889
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It's out in cinemas here in Australia.

It's not in the States yet?

no, tuesday
Old 06-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #890
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hard Candy
7/10

It was an interesting twist on the who pedophile/cyber-stalker as predator theme. I found some of it a bit far-fetched and over-the-top, but the two leads were excellent. I think there were 5 speaking roles in the entire movie, three of which have about a total of 3 minutes of screen time.

Ellen Page (who played Kitty Pryde in X-Men 3) was really, really impressive. I thought Patrick Wilson (who's been tabbed as Night Owl in the Watchmen movie) was excellent in a pretty thankless role. I have to say, knowing he was going to be Night Owl distracted me throughout the whole movie. (I think he'll make a great Night Owl, but he was a little young and far too fit to play him., but he had the right look and solid acting chaps).

Between the solid performances of the two leads what the director did with color in the film, there are just a ton of very vibrant primary colors throughout (I'm sure there was a rhyme or reason to them, but I'd have to watch it again to pick up the pattern), it was decent enough.

There's probably a review from me somewhere in this thread. I liked it, but mostly i was impressed with Ellen Page. I'm willing to bet that she grabs an Oscar in the next 10 years. I think she's a pretty serious acting talent.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #891
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
1408 -- 9/10

My heart raced for an hour non-stop in this movie. Cusack (who I normally hate) was very good.

Yup, Cusack was really good. I was dissapointed Samuel Jackson was in it 15 minutes tops... I was expecting more.

I'd give it about an 8.1/10.

Quote:
Back to the Future 9/10

One of my all-time favorites: 9.4/10

Last edited by Lorena : 06-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #892
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Live Free or Die Hard - 8/10: WOW! They don't make action movies like this anymore. A ton of explosions, gunfights, and incredible action sequences. Interspersed with some absolutely hilarious lines. The plot is a bit wierd, but its a traditional action flick, plot is irrelevent . Willis still has got it and Olyphant was excellent as the main baddie (even had some great lines).

Loved it!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #893
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Live Free or Die Hard - 8/10: WOW! They don't make action movies like this anymore. A ton of explosions, gunfights, and incredible action sequences. Interspersed with some absolutely hilarious lines. The plot is a bit wierd, but its a traditional action flick, plot is irrelevent . Willis still has got it and Olyphant was excellent as the main baddie (even had some great lines).

Loved it!

I saw this movie today too, and this review seems right on. I wouldn't call this a "good" movie, but it is a very fun summer blockbuster. Go in expecting zero realism and a lot of excitement and you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #895
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Loved it!

9/10

Best movie of the summer. If it hadn't got a little slow towards the end it would have been 9.5 or 10/10.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #896
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I saw this movie today too, and this review seems right on. I wouldn't call this a "good" movie, but it is a very fun summer blockbuster. Go in expecting zero realism and a lot of excitement and you won't be disappointed.

Yeah. If you like the Die Hard series, you'll like the movie. If you wanted to rip the movie, it would be easy enough to do (including one particularly absurd over-the-top action sequence).

And by the way, the fact that this movie is rated PG-13 and not R shows what an absurd system the current MPAA ratings are.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #897
Flasch186
Coordinator

Breach 7/10

the fact that it was a true story helped. For being a suspense movie it was missing some of that and instead focused on relationships....which was fine but I felt, considering this was the largest spy scandal in our nation's history, it couldve been more suspenseful.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #898
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Yeah. If you like the Die Hard series, you'll like the movie. If you wanted to rip the movie, it would be easy enough to do (including one particularly absurd over-the-top action sequence).

And by the way, the fact that this movie is rated PG-13 and not R shows what an absurd system the current MPAA ratings are.

The one scene you talk about is probably the most absurd scene I've ever seen in a movie but I loved the movie nonetheless.

The rating system thing you mentioned I thought of as well. What does it take to get an R-rating? It's obvious, after watching that movie, violence is okay so long as you don't show too much blood/guts. Language is okay as long as you don't use f****.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #899
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Saw the new Die Hard yesterday as well... I'd give it an 8 out of 10. The audience actually clapped and cheered as the credits started to roll (in a good way... not that they were cheering the fact that the movie was over), which I haven't seen at too many movies around here.

I liked the over the top action scene... but I didn't like the big cameo. It distracted me from immersing myself in the story.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #900
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
9/10

Best movie of the summer. If it hadn't got a little slow towards the end it would have been 9.5 or 10/10.

Agreed 9 out of 10.

Olymphant is just a great actor, I loved the guy in Girl Next Door, he just knows how to play his parts.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote