Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #19001
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Can’t remember the last time I endorsed a check was.

Until the last year or so. it had been about a decade since I wrote a check. My bank is about 80/20 when it comes to proper endorsement. That 20% is usually from not adding the "For Mobile Deposit Only" under the signature.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #19002
cuervo72
Head Coach

I deal with a lot of checks as treasurer for our music boosters. Actually had to have the CU call the writer of one because they weren't going to let me deposit a check which was missing a date.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #19003
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Had to put one of our cats down today. Yikes is that a miserable experience.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #19004
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

So sorry, man.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #19005
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I had to do that twice in the last year for my 18 year-old cats. It's a really terrible experience, even though both decisions were absolutely the right ones. I feel for you.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #19006
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Has anyone here tried Hello Fresh?

Well I didn't get Hello Fresh (it was unclear if my coupons applied on their website) but I did get HomeChef. I describe my cooking skillz as 3.5/10 but I have been able to make some quite tasty meals including the Steak Quesadillas I just had.

If anyone wants a referral I'm your person
Old 11-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #19007
miami_fan
Coordinator

Seems topical.

National Men Make Dinner Day™

Quote:
National Men Make Dinner Day on the first Thursday in November places the man of the house in charge of the kitchen and the evening’s meal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #19008
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Having it as seemingly only one day a year seems problematic.

(though I imagine it began in a more patriarchal age... not that today isn't patriarchal)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #19009
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

if we arent grilling, or smoking...I cant remember the last time I made a meal in our kitchen.

Ive even gotten up on Sunday super early and made myself something before everyone else gets up and she gets salty.

Think Ill pass on this holiday
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #19010
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

12 years of marriage this Sunday and my wife has cooked dinner for the family probably a total of 50 times.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #19011
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
12 years of marriage this Sunday and my wife has cooked dinner for the family probably a total of 50 times.

I got you. 19 years and I can't be far ahead of her.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #19012
Izulde
Head Coach

I wish my dog could cook.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #19013
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I wish my dog could cook.

I'm sure any Korean could show you how.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #19014
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I had to do that twice in the last year for my 18 year-old cats. It's a really terrible experience, even though both decisions were absolutely the right ones. I feel for you.

Yeah, we waited a few days too long for this one. He was the first cat my wife ever got on her own, so I had to wait until she was ready. And I had to take him in, 'cause she'da never been able to. I was only fractionally better.

17 years is a damn good run though.

edit: In other news, broke the news to the kids tonight. 8 year old took it *hard*. 5 year old not so much.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #19015
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm the worst dad in the world because I won't let my 6 year old eat potato chips at 9 AM
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #19016
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm the worst dad in the world because I won't let my 6 year old eat potato chips at 9 AM

Yeah, that’s not a great look, Latham. #Team6yearold
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #19017
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You should compile a list of these reasons into a top 10 list and read it at his/her wedding.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #19018
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I got you. 19 years and I can't be far ahead of her.

Almost 22 years, and my daughter has probably cooked dinner for me more than my wife. And that’s like, three times.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #19019
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Almost 22 years, and my daughter has probably cooked dinner for me more than my wife. And that’s like, three times.

I feel bad for you guys. My wife is an incredible cook, but she's also vegan so we eat vegan unless I'm smoking or grilling meat, or we get pizza.

Like Steam?

Old 11-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #19020
Edward64
Head Coach

My wife does cook (for the most part) for family meals. If its just her and me, often times we just scrounge whatever and/or do our own thing.

I've done some cooking for the family also (but definitely not 50-50). I used to ask the kids if they wanted my "world famous X ..." and like to think they'll remember my meals.

For those whose wife does not cook ... what do you eat? Canned soup, sandwiches and like? or buy fast food, pizza?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #19021
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

For those whose wife does not cook ... what do you eat? Canned soup, sandwiches and like? or buy fast food, pizza?

Curious why you would make that assumption?

I can cook just about anything. I worked in restaurants for several years, and considered a career as a chef, even got accepted to the CIA before deciding I didn't want to pay the outlandish tuition.

I quit my job 3.5 years ago to be a stay at home dad, but even before then I did all the cooking. I love to cook.

Some things I like making are eggpland parm, tacos, various soups in crockpots ( great for days the kids have activities), broiled pork chops, vegetable ziti. I grill a ton in the summer, steaks, fish, chicken eggplant, asparagus, burger, and dogs. I also have an air fryer that I love and an insta pot I experiment with. That is just a small sample. I would do a lot more but I try and stick with things my kids will eat.

I also make my wife and I breakfast every day. Usually scrambled eggs with a variety of veggies. Spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes. I have a recipe for homemade bagels which are awesome, but a bit labor intensive. I do awesome breakfast potatoes in the air fryer. I'll often make waffles or pancakes for the kids. Sometimes I'll do a sweet potato hash with fried egg on top.

Cooking is easy and really fun. I throw some music on alexa, grab a beer and get to work. I enjoy it immensely.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #19022
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I feel bad for you guys. My wife is an incredible cook, but she's also vegan so we eat vegan unless I'm smoking or grilling meat, or we get pizza.

Don't feel bad for me. I love to do the cooking. Fewer things make me happier than throwing on some music, cracking a beer, and going after it in the kitchen.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #19023
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I can cook just about anything. I worked in restaurants for several years, and considered a career as a chef, even got accepted to the CIA before deciding I didn't want to pay the outlandish tuition.

I quit my job 3.5 years ago to be a stay at home dad, but even before then I did all the cooking. I love to cook.

No real reason, just figured the stereotype "dad" applied to most on this board.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #19024
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Some things I like making are eggpland parm, tacos, various soups in crockpots ( great for days the kids have activities), broiled pork chops, vegetable ziti. I grill a ton in the summer, steaks, fish, chicken eggplant, asparagus, burger, and dogs. I also have an air fryer that I love and an insta pot I experiment with. That is just a small sample. I would do a lot more but I try and stick with things my kids will eat.

I also make my wife and I breakfast every day. Usually scrambled eggs with a variety of veggies. Spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes. I have a recipe for homemade bagels which are awesome, but a bit labor intensive. I do awesome breakfast potatoes in the air fryer. I'll often make waffles or pancakes for the kids. Sometimes I'll do a sweet potato hash with fried egg on top.

Cooking is easy and really fun. I throw some music on alexa, grab a beer and get to work. I enjoy it immensely.

This. It is not that my wife cannot cook. She is a great cook. The main reason I am the primary cook in the family is that I work from home most of the time. But even when we both worked outside the home, I would say with it was at least 60/40 with me doing the majority because it is something I absolutely enjoy doing.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #19025
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I can cook just about anything. I worked in restaurants for several years, and considered a career as a chef, even got accepted to the CIA

...why would the CIA hire people for the cooking ability?

Oh, so you can work as a spy in a restaurant. Got it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #19026
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
...why would the CIA hire people for the cooking ability?

Oh, so you can work as a spy in a restaurant. Got it.

It worked in Wet Hot American Summer!

Like Steam?

Old 11-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #19027
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't cook as often as I used to - my wife works 3 nights a week, my son is at college, my daughter increasingly makes her own dietary decisions - but yes, I enjoy cooking and have been responsible for meals in our family. Not to say we don't order out more than we should, but it's not just that or canned soup.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #19028
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Not to say we don't order out more than we should, but it's not just that or canned soup.

We recently discovered Door Dash and it is a game changer. Usually on the weekend.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #19029
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No real reason, just figured the stereotype "dad" applied to most on this board.

I feel like this is an antiquated stereotype. Most of my married friends can cook just fine. I can't think of any of them off the top of my head who expect dinner to be made by their wife and on the table when they get home.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #19030
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Saw a huge light outside our house about an hour ago figured it was snow lightning. Just saw this in Twitter... pretty incredible.

https://twitter.com/DavidVergel97/st...979898882?s=19
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #19031
lungs
Pro Rookie

I am a single man that got sick of frozen pizza and fast food. So I learned to cook. I’m not an amazing cook and have unique tastebuds. My friends love my hot wings. Nothing too complicated, just put the wings in buttermilk for a day, fry and then toss in sauce.

After we sold the cows, I kept a Wagyu steer (Japanese breed they use for Kobe beef). He met the butcher’s knife a month ago and my freezer is now filled with some amazing beef. Not nearly up to the caliber of the stuff imported from Japan, but probably the best home raised beef I’ve ever had.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #19032
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't know. The person at Wal Mart who does the same thing. Like, I just spent $200 bucks and I've got a cart full, and it all doesn't fit in bags, but a lot of it is, and they feel like they have to check all of it. I am under no obligation to stand there, so I just walk past, and then they have to fuss at me to stop, and I give them shit for like 2 minutes because it's total bullshit.

I guess that's part of my asshole personality, but there's no rule, law, or anything else, that says that I need to do that, especially after being there for 2 hours, waiting in a 20 minute line, or what have you. I know they are just 'doing their job', but fuck that and fuck them.

'Treated as a criminal': Walmart receipt and bag checks anger customers. Your rights explained

Like Steam?

Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #19033
spleen1015
Coordinator

Today is a bittersweet day.

Many of my daughter's current and former softball teammates are signing their NLIs to play softball in college.

It is a great day because these young women are getting to live their dreams and play college softball.

It is a sad day because they've all grown up and many of them I won't be able to watch play anymore pretty soon.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #19034
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I've been watching too many Man vs Food videos lately.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #19035
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I've been watching too many Man vs Food videos lately.

Are they still on the second guy or did he get sick & quit like the first?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:58 AM   #19036
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah if I could tell them to fuck off I would but it’s the only 24 hour grocery store left and the nearest target is 20-25 minutes from my house
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #19037
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah if I could tell them to fuck off I would but it’s the only 24 hour grocery store left and the nearest target is 20-25 minutes from my house

Damn. They aren't even that good of a grocery store either. That sucks. Thankfully we've got a 24hr Kroger about 10 minutes away. With their online order, pickup (and now delivery) service, they actually get our business for a lot of things we used to go to WalMart for. I imagine that we spend somewhere close to 12k a year there.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #19038
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are they still on the second guy or did he get sick & quit like the first?

No idea, I've been watching on youtube.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #19039
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No idea, I've been watching on youtube.

I am a huge MvF fan. I own all the original episodes on Prime.

They are still using Casey Webb. I don't watch them because frankly he is horrible and the challenges are way worse. It is easily one of my all time favorite shows with Adam Richman.

If you like the ones with him I suggest spending some time going down the rabbit hole on google reading about his experiences, how he prepped, etc...It is pretty interesting.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #19040
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am a huge MvF fan. I own all the original episodes on Prime.

They are still using Casey Webb. I don't watch them because frankly he is horrible and the challenges are way worse. It is easily one of my all time favorite shows with Adam Richman.

If you like the ones with him I suggest spending some time going down the rabbit hole on google reading about his experiences, how he prepped, etc...It is pretty interesting.

Why does everyone hate Casey? I'll grant that Adam oozes more Charisma but I don't see anything unlikable in Casey.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #19041
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Why does everyone hate Casey? I'll grant that Adam oozes more Charisma but I don't see anything unlikable in Casey.

I think it is just one of those things you really can't remake the original.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #19042
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'll post this here because I can't find a BBCF thread.

I am in the cotton bowl vs Notre Dame in OT. I score a TD on my first possession. Then they go. 3rd and 15 they complete a 12 yard pass. But Wait! Offensive PI. So should be 3rd and 30. Nope! The AI rejects the penalty even though they have to go for it on 4th down making in 4th an three. They of course get it and go on to win the game.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #19043
Edward64
Head Coach

Sounds as if Andrew was pretty tone-deaf in his interview (current generation seem to be doing okay)

Andrew knew Epstein and Epstein provided him with easy access to women. What I'm not sure about is did Andrew & his handlers know/suspected about Epstein's pedophilia?
Old 11-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #19044
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

HAPPY LIFE DAY EVERYONE!!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #19045
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Anyone ever been to Aruba? I have a lot of credit through Southwest and looking to take the family there in March. Seems much of their other Caribbean options have limited flights (and have done the Cancun thing so no interest there).
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #19046
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds as if Andrew was pretty tone-deaf in his interview (current generation seem to be doing okay)

Andrew knew Epstein and Epstein provided him with easy access to women. What I'm not sure about is did Andrew & his handlers know/suspected about Epstein's pedophilia?

"tonedeaf" is being kind. Sounded more like someone trying to weasel their way out of hard questions with deflections and bizzare lies, like not being able to sweat due to an overdose of adrenaline during the Falklands war to refute a story about him dancing with an underage girl... I man, jeezus. If anything he came out of that interview looking worse than he came into it, which in itself is quite an achievement.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #19047
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Anyone ever been to Aruba? I have a lot of credit through Southwest and looking to take the family there in March. Seems much of their other Caribbean options have limited flights (and have done the Cancun thing so no interest there).

I have.

It's warm, windy, people speak English, it can be expensive, but I've also heard they have some of the best prices on watches around. Very good driving down there.

I wouldn't turn down a free trip there in March.

Like Steam?

Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #19048
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
I have.

It's warm, windy, people speak English, it can be expensive, but I've also heard they have some of the best prices on watches around. Very good driving down there.

I wouldn't turn down a free trip there in March.

Thanks! Yeah, with airfare handled, I think I can actually gather the money to send 6 people down there. Heard it's pricey but looking at places with a kitchen so we can at least cook one meal. Excited about the beaches.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #19049
PilotMan
Head Coach

I meant to say good diving, not driving. It does have a steady breeze on the beach. Sometimes 15mph which can feel too windy, but I think you acclimate to it. It's normal in the winter months with the trade winds and all.

Like Steam?

Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #19050
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My genius company has implemented a tiered system of insurance next year. So you pay more based upon what salary band in. And of course, it's not a flat cutoff, no scaling or anything.

So ...

1) People at the bottom edge of a salary band get good and fucked.

2) God help you if you're on the cusp, and get a raise that bumps you into the next tier. You'd actually get a raise and be paid quite a bit less.