Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #2401
digamma
Torchbearer

Good luck to my main man Subby who will conquer Boston again on Monday.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #2402
digamma
Torchbearer

And now congrats. Completed Boston again in sub 3:30 on another difficult weather day (at least at the start). And battled injuries along the way. Two years in a row...awesome feat! Congrats, bud!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #2403
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's so impressive. Subby is a beast.

I'm currently on the DL with an Achille's injury that is slow to heal. I guess I should be doing more to strengthen the area. Frustrating.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #2404
lungs
Pro Rookie

My sister ran Boston yesterday, finished in 3:37.

Glad my parents got to be there for it.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #2405
henry296
College Starter

I figured this might be the best place to ask this question. My wife and I are in the market for a treadmill so we can keep up with our walking/running when the weather / time change. Any recommendations around the $1,000-$1,500 price point. Has anyone use the ifit with Nordic Track and how has it worked? Do you find it better than the normal built in routines?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #2406
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bought a Proform Pro 2000 two years ago and have been very happy with it. It was $1,300. I did pay $250 extra for them to deliver and assemble it. (I'm mechanically inept.) I don't use iFit or anything like that, so I can't comment on that aspect.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #2407
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Found an ultra endurance ride for you, Subby. I can be a support crew member if you want to tackle this one.

The No Country For Old Men event
1000 mile map | Ultra race in Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #2408
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Found an ultra endurance ride for you, Subby. I can be a support crew member if you want to tackle this one.

Given Subby's Everesting, I have to think he could finish this one. It looks like they've only had something like 13 solo finishers since 2014.

I'll be in Fort Davis next month - that part of the state with Alpine and Marfa is really cool. I'd move there tomorrow if I could.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #2409
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm going to be out there the weekend of the 20th for the Fort Davis Cyclefest. A mere 75 mile ride.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #2410
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I am 100% in for this. I had no idea there was that much climbing in Texas!

I just wrote about Everesting if you are bored or in the bathroom or something similar. That Time We Everested – Do stupid stuff before you die

Also just finished Big Savage (380 miles, 40K of climbing - I'll write that one up soon). Next up I am going to try to be the first person to ride the Great Alleghany Passage - C&O Canal (Pittsburgh to DC, 335 miles) in under 24 hours, solo and unsupported. Will probably fail spectacularly!

Boston seems like a lifetime ago but I think I am sufficiently healed up that running can start again some time soon.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #2411
cartman
Death Herald

Leaving tomorrow for the Fort Davis Cyclefest ride. It is on Saturday, a 75 mile loop. My knees have been doing really well, but we'll see how they do with the amount of climbing on the course. This route is part of that 1,000 mile ride I posted.

Subby, if you are serious about doing the No Country For Old Men, let me know and we can start the planning. There is indeed a ton of climbing, and is in an extremely rugged and beautiful part of the country.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #2412
HerRealName
College Prospect

They must bring in the weird out of towners on the same weekend. I (or we if my wife decides to go) are leaving on Friday and staying in town.

I'm not sure how ready I am. I've been getting miles in but just due to consistency on weekday mornings. Long runs in the summer seem counter productive to me so I've been climbing stairs and hitting the treadmill at 15% instead to try to prepare.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #2413
cartman
Death Herald

Got home from Fort Davis a little bit ago. The weather held out for the ride, which started in a light drizzle, but the rain stopped mid morning. I made the complete circuit, but was sagged up a couple of the monster climbs. My knees started balking about the halfway point of the ride. Still rode 56.5 miles and got in 3,200 feet of climbing.

We also helped sag a sag wagon. One of the sag vehicles got a stuck caliper. We stopped and helped them get the wheel off and check the brake. We got it unstuck, but it would get immediately stuck with any application of the brakes. The guy limped it back in using the diesel engine to do the braking. I passed him on one of the big downhill sections towards the end.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #2414
Subby
lolzcat

Congrats on a great ride cartman! That's awesome!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #2415
Subby
lolzcat

I just rode from Pittsburgh to DC via the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Towpath trail. I did it solo and unsupported and finished in under 24 hours (23:43 which is the FKT for now). I'll write up something soon!

332.8 mi Ride Activity on September 26, 2019 by Chris S. on Strava

Last edited by Subby : 09-28-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #2416
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

I'm not sure how ready I am. I've been getting miles in but just due to consistency on weekday mornings. Long runs in the summer seem counter productive to me so I've been climbing stairs and hitting the treadmill at 15% instead to try to prepare.

As if there was any doubt, this was not a good training strategy. First off, the Davis Mts are beautiful and one of my favorite places in Texas.

The hills really kicked my ass. I was cramping by mile 16 and struggled through the rest of the course. It got up into the mid-80s and my pathetic bald head ended up burning to add insult to injury. I loved every second though.

A cooler day would have been nice but it is never ending summer in Texas this year.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #2417
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I just rode from Pittsburgh to DC via the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Towpath trail. I did it solo and unsupported and finished in under 24 hours (23:43 which is the FKT for now). I'll write up something soon!

This is amazing. Spoiler alert but Subby rode from Pittsburgh to Washington DC in less than 24 hours. Its just absolutely incredible.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #2418
Kodos
Resident Alien

Subby, you are incredible. And insane!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #2419
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Ok, "something soon" was a little optimistic, but I finally wrote about this!

Old 08-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #2420
cartman
Death Herald

So, is anyone here using Zwift? I just ordered the Wahoo KICKR to use for indoor training. I really tailed off with my training after the week long charity ride in New York got canceled. It integrates with Strava, as well as some other apps. Looking forward to getting going with it.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:29 AM   #2421
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I used zwift for a while last fall and winter but stopped using it when the weather got nicer so eventually cancelled it. I enjoyed it, but it got extremely repetitive after a while. They may have more variety now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #2422
cartman
Death Herald

I also found a site called bikemap.net that could be interesting. Has tons of routes to download that send data to a smart trainer to simulate the terrain.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #2423
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cool story Subby. I enjoyed it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #2424
cartman
Death Herald

So the Wahoo KICKR and KICKR Climb showed up today. Got them set up, then did the intro ride for Zwift. It felt a lot like riding on the road. I like that when you coast, it doesn't instantly bog down. The Climb adds that touch of realism for ascents and descents.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #2425
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Enjoy Cartman.

I used Zwift for about a year, but like Alan, once the weather warmed up in the second year in the spring I stopped using it and cancelled. What pushed me over the edge was not being able to separate actual outdoors climbing stats vs Zwift climbing stats on Strava. I don't have a smart trainer, so the simulated climbing seemed kind of bogus to me. Yes I went "slower" up hills in Zwift, but other than pedaling longer, didn't feel like it was a comparable effort to outdoors. Even shifting into harder gears felt cheesy. If I had a Smart trainer, that might've been different though.

You might want to check out Bkool.com too. They allow you to import old rides you've done and simulate, them similar to Zwift. At least that was what they were doing back in 2017. It wasn't nearly as polished as Zwift at the time, but I assume it has improved since then.

Last edited by pbot : 08-14-2020 at 06:55 AM.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #2426
Subby
lolzcat

So I finally got my basement setup how I want it. If anyone is riding zwift, you'll recognize the lower screen. I use an apple tv to run the zwift app. I have an HDMI splitter that pushes the apple tv signal to the upper tv if I am on the treadmill and am doing Zwift Run (which is dumb, but whatever, it's something to take my attention while I run).
I have a soundbar set up for the big tv since that's where the fios and streaming stuff is usually sent, and I don't want to have to wear headphones to have to hear it. Everything is set up in that direction so I can stare out of the window into the backyard if I just want to zone out. A big fan that I use when I ride is behind the treadmill and I have put the equipment on minimalist shelving on the wall since I took the pick.
Flag covers a shelf where I store some stuff. Will probably hang some LED lights too. A few other flourishes on the way, but I am happy with how clean it is.
The bike is a Wahoo Kickr Bike. I have tried every type of trainer and got fed up with connecting and disconnecting my bikes, performing calibrations, etc. The Kickr bike is pretty bombproof and it simulates shifting really well and also has the climb functionality to simulate hill climbs and descents.
Anyway, this helps get me moving. I have zero desire to be outside in sub-freezing temps anymore and for now my job is wfh, so no opportunity to commute into the city.
Anyway, that's the update. Want to do some epic stuff this year, but we are waaaay early in the process. Having connected with this thread in a while, hope the FOFC Strava group is doing well!

Last edited by Subby : 02-04-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #2427
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I didn't realize there was an FOFC Strava group. I'm on Strava but 99% of what I do is imported from my treadmill. I'll have to go searching.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-04-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #2428
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice collection of medals, Subby. We'll have a "Post Your Home Workout Area" update!

Last edited by Kodos : 02-04-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:26 PM   #2429
Ksyrup

So I had my own mini-version of the Schilling bloody sock episode today. I ran a segment of the Boston Marathon on iFit this afternoon and felt something on my shoe was rubbing under my right ankle while warming up but I didn't pay much attention to it.

Fast forward 62 minutes and 8 miles later, I go upstairs to take a shower and notice a red spot on my shoe. "That's funny, I don't remember that being there before." Then I start taking off my sock - gigantic red spot. Then it dawns on me. I think I must have had a small cut on my ankle that my shoe rubbed for an hour. So now I assume my shoe will have a permanent reminder of my stupidity, err... bravery.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #2430
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm stuck in a walking boot for the next few weeks due to a torn peroneal tendon. I'm already climbing the walls...
Old 03-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #2431
Ksyrup

That sucks. When I had my surgery, I was completely down for 5 weeks - not just working out but for about 3 weeks, I wasn't even walking at normal pace. But I quickly got it back. I've been doing all of the iFit marathon programs - Boston, Chicago, London and New York. I'm halfway through NY to finish all 4. Since they are video, I'm running at faster pace than the videos so I've been doing about 40+ miles during each 26.2 mile program. The last couple of weeks, I've gone over 50+ miles a week, my most ever.

Once I finish this, I think I'm going to completely switch things up and go with something shorter and possibly more incline-heavy (possibly a hiking series although I prefer to run - something with some incline mixed with running would be perfect).
Old 03-13-2022, 09:08 AM   #2432
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That sucks. When I had my surgery, I was completely down for 5 weeks - not just working out but for about 3 weeks, I wasn't even walking at normal pace. But I quickly got it back. I've been doing all of the iFit marathon programs - Boston, Chicago, London and New York. I'm halfway through NY to finish all 4. Since they are video, I'm running at faster pace than the videos so I've been doing about 40+ miles during each 26.2 mile program. The last couple of weeks, I've gone over 50+ miles a week, my most ever.

Once I finish this, I think I'm going to completely switch things up and go with something shorter and possibly more incline-heavy (possibly a hiking series although I prefer to run - something with some incline mixed with running would be perfect).

Did you have surgery on the peroneal? I felt an ominous double pop just as I was running and wasn't sure what was going on. I've been debating whether I should get an MRI or not but I'm leaning towards getting it just to make sure it isn't too serious to heal on its own.

Congrats on getting up to 50 miles a week! That's a good milestone.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #2433
Ksyrup

No, it had nothing to do with running, something completely unrelated. But I was unable to do anything post-surgery for about 5 weeks.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #2434
sabotai
General Manager

I recently got a fancy-pants modern smart phone and realized I could use fancy-pants modern apps to track my walks so I logged onto Strava to start recording them and couldn't believe it had been 8 years since I last logged on. What I can believe is that I was in better shape then than now. Long since time I got back to it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote