Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #601
DanGarion
Coordinator

T minus 5 months till we have a girl running our world.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #602
finketr
College Prospect

congratulations, Dan!

our little guy is a climber.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #603
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Kid's in total mommy mode right now. Mommy has to do EVERYTHING, and he throws a mini fit if I try and do anything, or if mommy isn't in visual sight when he knows she's home.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-18-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #604
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Davin's 2 days shy of 7 months now. He's scooting toward anything with a wire...lamp, television, whatever. He gets in pushup position quite a bit, sometime flat footed.

He's meeting his grandpa, my stepdad, for the first time tomorrow. We're driving down to see him. He was recently diagnosed with emphysema and may have some skin cancer. He's 72 so I'm concerned there may not be more opportunities for him with his grandpa.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #605
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Kid's in total mommy mode right now. Mommy has to do EVERYTHING, and he throws a mini fit if I try and do anything, or if mommy isn't in visual sight when he knows she's home.

yup, went through it a while back. He still does it sometimes and has reverted quite a bit since we moved, but it gets better.

That being said I am scared at what may happen when his baby sister shows up in May.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #606
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Oh god.

He can get out of his crib now.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #607
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Possibly stupid question -- have you lowered the mattress?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #608
finketr
College Prospect

ours can climb/fall into the bathtub. can't quite reach the crib rail with his foot yet, but he climb every other damn thing in the apartment.

also, he pooped so much sometime during the night/this morning he had it in his hair! emergency bathtime
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #609
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Possibly stupid question -- have you lowered the mattress?

Oh how I wish it was that simple. Yeah, it's as low as it could go.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #610
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh how I wish it was that simple. Yeah, it's as low as it could go.

Yeah, I got your kid's age wrong. I thought he was around the same age as my youngest (who are still in cribs on the highest level), but I looked back and realized he's closer to my oldest (who is in a crib on the lowest level).

Last edited by Passacaglia : 02-12-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #611
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep. He's officially 2 as of today, actually!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #612
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Oh god.

He can get out of his crib now.

I recommend a crib tent. Our son could get out around 14 months and it worked like a charm. Really easy to set up and install.

Our problem now is two fold. He throws a fit if we leave the room after putting him to bed, have to sit in there until he is either asleep or very close. Then he almost always gets up between 4-5 and comes and gets in our bed, which makes sleeping impossible.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #613
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
also, he pooped so much sometime during the night/this morning he had it in his hair! emergency bathtime

haha
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #614
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Happy birthday! And, to make you jealous, my oldest who's still in the crib turns 3 next month.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #615
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Our problem now is two fold. He throws a fit if we leave the room after putting him to bed, have to sit in there until he is either asleep or very close. Then he almost always gets up between 4-5 and comes and gets in our bed, which makes sleeping impossible.

I can relate to those issues having dealt with a similar thing with our youngest. What worked for me is I basically just decided to stop cold turkey at a convenient time (started on a Friday night when I knew we had no travel plans for a while and so it wouldn't disrupt sleeping schedule during the week). The first night there was a lot of screaming and only fell asleep after becoming exhausted (I may have had to put her back in the bed a couple times, I can't recall) and it was pretty awful. The next night wasn't so bad and it kept improving. Things have been great ever since (this was like a year ago).

As for the climbing into bed, I would just walk him back to his room after maybe a bathroom trip and a small sip of water. I also can't sleep with our youngest in the bed for what it's worth (hellacious kicker).

Good luck, hope you can break him of those habits before your daughter is born. I forgot how time consuming newborns were until I had one again.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #616
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

Happy birthday!

Quote:
I recommend a crib tent. Our son could get out around 14 months and it worked like a charm. Really easy to set up and install.

Yeah, we did the cold turkey on a weekend approach and it took a couple of nights to get him to fall asleep on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I can relate to those issues having dealt with a similar thing with our youngest. What worked for me is I basically just decided to stop cold turkey at a convenient time (started on a Friday night when I knew we had no travel plans for a while and so it wouldn't disrupt sleeping schedule during the week). The first night there was a lot of screaming and only fell asleep after becoming exhausted (I may have had to put her back in the bed a couple times, I can't recall) and it was pretty awful. The next night wasn't so bad and it kept improving. Things have been great ever since (this was like a year ago).

As for the climbing into bed, I would just walk him back to his room after maybe a bathroom trip and a small sip of water. I also can't sleep with our youngest in the bed for what it's worth (hellacious kicker).

Good luck, hope you can break him of those habits before your daughter is born. I forgot how time consuming newborns were until I had one again.

after a couple of months we took a trip and we were all sleeping in the same hotel room and that kicked him into the crying for 15-20 minutes before falling alseep from exhaustion and having to be in the room so he'd fall asleep.

Our LG is 18 months on Friday.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #617
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He never had any issues until we moved and had been a challenge since. I've tried bringing him back to his room on the middle of the night and he throws himself on the ground and screams bloody murder.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #618
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
He never had any issues until we moved and had been a challenge since. I've tried bringing him back to his room on the middle of the night and he throws himself on the ground and screams bloody murder.

ayup.

well, does so from his crib...

but, my little guy when it's time for bed will satnd up and put his face against mine when i lean over to rub his belly for a few minutes..

i, of course, fall for it and pick him up and rock and sing to him for a few minutes before putting him back.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #619
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Davin's crawling now. I feel fortunate. He sleeps through most nights. By most, I mean he might wake in the middle of the night twice a month. My wife, surprisingly to me, insisted after a few days of him being home that Davin sleep in his crib and in his room.

He's been gold since about a month old.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #620
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Davin's crawling now. I feel fortunate. He sleeps through most nights. By most, I mean he might wake in the middle of the night twice a month. My wife, surprisingly to me, insisted after a few days of him being home that Davin sleep in his crib and in his room.

He's been gold since about a month old.

We were the same way, none of that co sleeping shit. Worked great until he became more independant.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #621
PilotMan
Head Coach

I needed someplace other than Facebook to brag on how awesome my kid is.

My middle son, Zachary, is in 5th grade in the local public school and has had quite a year. He started the year in accelerated math and english, and has maintained solid grades in those classes. He has averaged A's and B's all year.

He was recognized for scoring distinguished (state benchmarks, test given last year) in all his classes except language arts where he was proficient. He only missed distinguished by 2 points, and only 3 or 4 kids in the school achieved that level.

He was the primary designer for his schools Lego league, which doesn't sound that tough, but was only sponsored by lego, and was really a robotics competition using the lego mindspark platform. They competed as a school against much older kids in the regional competition for the first time, (4th through 8th grade), and took 11th place out of 32 teams, just missing the cut off for state competition. They also beat the only middle school from our school district, where he is going next year.

In his state standards tests he scored in the 99th percentile in the state in Science, and scores at a high school level for math and reasoning. He was selected to be in the Gifted curriculum for Science earlier this year and has needed more and more challenging work as he hasn't been really tested with it.

Today, he presented electricity and circuits to the class as the teacher instead of having to do the regular class work with the rest of the kids.

He is hoping to become an engineer. He loves the designwork of Frank Lloyd Wright. He is very "green" oriented. He builds very advanced houses in minecraft for his age. He told me he took a test designed to evaluate survival skills in minecraft over 3 game days. He said he got a B+, which he told me was a level a teenager should get. He turns 11 in 2 weeks.

He takes all of this totally in stride, like it's no big deal. I assure you it is to me. I am beyond proud of him and want nothing more than to continue to encourage him and watch him progress through his life.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #622
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
We were the same way, none of that co sleeping shit. Worked great until he became more independant.

Yeah, I won that battle. He never slept in our room, from day 1. She actually admitted it was the right call.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #623
Autumn
Head Coach

Ours slept in our bed for years. The nice part was none of this drama, they just slept. If they woke up, my wife would roll over and nurse them and they'd both be asleep in seconds. It wasn't perfect, certainly, it was at times difficult to sleep with a baby in bed, but the nice thing was never having to get up, so it worked out.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #624
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
In his state standards tests he scored in the 99th percentile in the state in Science, and scores at a high school level for math and reasoning. He was selected to be in the Gifted curriculum for Science earlier this year and has needed more and more challenging work as he hasn't been really tested with it.

PilotMan,

yay!

Bold: Sad statement on our educational system?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #625
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Signs I'm going to hell....

I just taught my son to say "Daddy is my god now!"
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #626
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Signs I'm going to hell....

I just taught my son to say "Daddy is my god now!"

I must be doing it wrong. Last night I got my daughter to say "Come on", as in "Cahmmaaaaaaahhnnnn!"
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #627
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My son learned his last name last night, was pretty cool to hear him say it
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #628
finketr
College Prospect

18 months old: 33 inches, 27 lbs 7 ozs. 80-85th %tile.
all 16 teeth are healthy.
all healthy.

hates shots. cried almost as bad as the six-set at 1 year checkup.

Last edited by finketr : 02-20-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #629
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Last night wife and I decided no more of this nonsense. He was in our bed at 1:00 AM and moved around, kicked, turned sideways, etc...all night until 5 AM when he decided he wanted to get up.

We both woke up exhausted, her more then I because she is 7 months pregnant on top of it all. We decided if he is going to keep up awake anyway we may as well fight the good fight and try to get him in his room.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #630
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

It usually took something to get me to the breaking point before I changed stuff up too. I'm sure it will work out ok after a little while for him to get used to it. If possible, maybe you can add something minor and not too time-consuming that he likes to the bedtime ritual (whether it's an extra story, new stuffed animal if he's into those, etc... Something to soften the blow of the change in what he's used to.

My oldest (6 years old) had surgery Tuesday to remove an extra adult tooth the dentist spotted a couple weeks ago. She was excited to have it done because she had a ridiculously loose tooth that had been bothering her for a while. After we got there and they started strapping on stuff like oxygen monitoring devices and covering her with a blanket / putting a hairnet on her, she wasn't nervous but started to get a bit wary (as did her father). I explained to her they were going to have to poke her in the arm to put the IV in and that it woukd feel uncomfortable after it was in, but it wouldn't hurt as much as her booster shot. Leaving the room soon after that was tough, but she apparently did well (she told me the surgeon said she handled it better than her adult patients did, which she thought was funny) and she was a little out of sorts for a few hours, but then she acted like her usual self and she's been doing great since then. They had to take out three baby teeth to get the adult tooth out, so she had a big present for the Tooth Fairy.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #631
Autumn
Head Coach

Wow, that's rough, JAG. My youngest had a cavity filled recently, and they did the blood pressure cuff and a bunch of stuff on him. I was a bit worried he would freak out. But they doped him up first and after he had no idea I was even in the room with him. But anytime you watch something like that is tough. My oldest had his tonsils out and having them roll him away was hard even htough i knew it was a simple procedure.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #632
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glad she was such a trooper JAG.

So he waited until 4 AM to come into our room but eventually did. We decided the best course of action would be to let him fall asleep in our bed then carry him back in. He woke up when I picked him up, cried a bit when I put him in bed, then fell right asleep and stayed there the rest of the time.

We had trouble getting back to sleep because we were waiting for the inevitible wake up, but it never happened.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #633
finketr
College Prospect

He woke up around around 1.45a or so this morning and i chanegd him since he was soaking... Tried to get him to sleep for a while and then my wife took over and slept next to him
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #634
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, attempt 3 of breaking him of the pacifier has gone amazingly well.

He's only used it for naps and bedtime for quite awhile - we had him off it for naps on two separate occasions, but he got sick and was so miserable we relented.

This time, we went all in, no more pacifier period. After 2 days, it's gone surprisingly well. He asked about it, we told him it broke, and he's pretty much slept without fuss.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #635
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Well, attempt 3 of breaking him of the pacifier has gone amazingly well.

He's only used it for naps and bedtime for quite awhile - we had him off it for naps on two separate occasions, but he got sick and was so miserable we relented.

This time, we went all in, no more pacifier period. After 2 days, it's gone surprisingly well. He asked about it, we told him it broke, and he's pretty much slept without fuss.
Hmm... I will be following along very closely at your updates on this. What happened on the first two attempts?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #636
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Little backstory first.

He was about 1 or so when he first went off the pacifier at daycare, from a complete fluke. We forgot to pack it in his bag one day, and the daycare operator thought we were done with it for naps. Apparently, it worked out not bad there, though obviously I'll never know EXACTLY how it went. But, he hasn't used the pacifier for naps at daycare (4 days a week, basically) for probably close to a year now. Ever. Home, however...different story.

Both the first two attempts went about the same, actually. The first weekend we started (taking it away for naps), he basically cried himself to sleep. And let me tell you, he was very, very much not happy. He threw more of a fit than he did when he was cutting his first teeth. Heart wrenching. Weekend two worked out much better, actually. He did okay, fussed a small amount, went to sleep, not a major deal. After 3 weeks, it was okay - (there'd still be days when he fussed a bit about it, but nowhere near the hell that was the first couple days) we were getting ready to try it for the overnights.

Then he got sick, blah blah blah, you know the drill. He was feeling so miserable we had to cave and let him have it to calm him down. He needed the rest.

This time went amazingly smooth in comparison. He KINDA fussed that first nap, but not bad, didn't throw any kind of fit that night, and the second day/night he was just fine. He asked about it, but we just stuck with the story ( "sorry buddy, it's broke" ). Crossing our fingers, but it's been much, much easier.

Long story short, the first nap/whatever you nuke it, if your kid is anything like mind, is gonna suck. They're gonna wail and cry, you're gonna want to cave. My wife is/was the anti-pacifier nazi between us, and she wouldn't let me cave. I'da caved. The good news is, it got much, much better very quickly.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #637
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It is amazing how fast they adapt. First night bringing my son back to his bed he woke up and pitched a fit, now he doesn't even move a muscle.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #638
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Progress.

He stayed in his bed all night last night. Woke up at one point around 4 AM because he couldnt find his puppy, wife found it for him and he went right back into his bed.

His big boy bed comes Sunday, curious to see how it goes. Amazing to me he has already outgrown his racecar bed.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #639
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So far so good on the pacifier. He's been sleeping / staying asleep better. He still asks about it before bedtime, but doesn't throw a fit when we say it's broken. (Though it still sounds like we took away his best friend.)

In other news...he's starting to show signs of wanting to use the potty. That would be rather lovely.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #640
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Progress.

He stayed in his bed all night last night. Woke up at one point around 4 AM because he couldnt find his puppy, wife found it for him and he went right back into his bed.

His big boy bed comes Sunday, curious to see how it goes. Amazing to me he has already outgrown his racecar bed.

We go back and forth on the continuum of baby in our bed, but assuming his room is safe, just stick him in there and let him cry it out. Takes 2-3 days of howling and holding your wife down from going to get him.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #641
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
We go back and forth on the continuum of baby in our bed, but assuming his room is safe, just stick him in there and let him cry it out. Takes 2-3 days of howling and holding your wife down from going to get him.

Yup. And much easier to do before they start talking than after.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #642
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Our son is almost 3. He just likes coming into our room so short of locking him in from the outside we need to be patient. First night in big boy bed tonight. He was so excited took a while to get him down. Hopefully he stays in there.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #643
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Getting stuck in the middle of constant jabs between my wife and my folks (who live close and watch him about once a week), mainly over the boy, is getting very old, very fast.

Neither side wants to budge, nobody wants to hear they're wrong, I get to be the middle man and pretty have every side pissed at me.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #644
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Getting stuck in the middle of constant jabs between my wife and my folks (who live close and watch him about once a week), mainly over the boy, is getting very old, very fast.

Neither side wants to budge, nobody wants to hear they're wrong, I get to be the middle man and pretty have every side pissed at me.

my take on this, CW, if you care: Unless safety is an issue, your wife >> your parents.

latest issue: our boy used to sleep 8.00-9.00 pm -> 6.30 am (sharp, uncanny how great an alarm clock he is) with maybe one little whimper/cry in the middle of the night but goes right back to sleep. I am trying to get him back on the going to sleep between 8 and 9 schedule but we had some disruptions like a funeral to go 2 timezones away and my father-i-l is staying with us to help with some hell work schedules my wife has.

Lately, he has taken to waking up sometime between 2.00 and 4.00 am wailing and wailing non-stop. Check on him, get him settled down, leave, back to wailing non-stop...
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #645
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ah, if it were only so clear cut as that. The latest in a long line of soul crushing insanity is over...yes...our boy's shoes.

Wife bought him a new pair. He's got my fat feet, he needs wides. These weren't (but we needed SOMETHING, since his old pair he could just slip off his feet at will, which got highly annoying in the car).

Folks ordered a pair of wides for him, after deciding those didn't fit. Fact is, they didn't fit, were really heavy, and he walked kinda funny with 'em.

Folks don't wanna hear they don't get to flat out decide shit like that. Wife doesn't wanna hear they are, in fact, correct about him needing shoes that fit properly. I'm the bad guy with my wife because I'm clearly not supporting her (wrong) decision, I'm the bad guy with my folks because I'm clearly not supporting their (over the line, but right) decision.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-21-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #646
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, gotten one side to actually back down a bit. Wife is gonna take some more work.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #647
AnalBumCover
College Starter

We'll be converting her crib into a toddler bed this weekend. Wonder how she's gonna take it.

Also, her first big mishap yesterday. She was playfully jumping on our couch when I told her to sit down. She did, but onto an unstable couch pillow. She tipped over and hit her forehead on the leg of her small folding table. Luckily it was that and not the heavy coffee table. Nonetheless, she has a small welt on her forehead.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #648
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Any potty training tips anyone can offer?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #649
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Other than jealousy, if yours is starting on it?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #650
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

That whole 'interest in using the potty' thing I mentioned a bit ago seems to be a passing fad.