Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #701
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

My son Drew (age 11) is away at Boy Scout camp for the week. First time he's been away from home on his own for more than one night. So far so good, and I'm thinking he'll do fine. Not so sure about the wife...and the cat is definitely pissed off.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #702
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And our first ER trip for our kid has now occured. Fell off the porch outside daycare straight into some bushes, got a little gash on his temple and a bunch of little scratches all over his face.

WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE FACE.

Little bit of superglue later, I have a daycare operator to ream. This is not the first injury he's had there, and I'm growing very weary of it. I understand he's 2.5, he's energetic, and gets into stuff. But it's gotten ridiculous.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-19-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #703
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And our first ER trip for our kid has now occured. Fell off the porch outside daycare straight into some bushes, got a little gash on his temple and a bunch of little scratches all over his face.

WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE FACE.

Little bit of superglue later, I have a daycare operator to ream. This is not the first injury he's had there, and I'm growing very weary of it. I understand he's 2.5, he's energetic, and gets into stuff. But it's gotten ridiculous.

I hear you... We had just sent 2-3 hours at the pool into the early evening with our two old. Got him his bottle of milk, left him upright and he tripped over something. A nice split skin issue at the place where the chin/lip indent is.. and a cut inside his mouth. That was very scary since he had blood in his mouth and over his teeth..

yikes,
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #704
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Really not looking forward to trying to find a new daycare. More I stew, the less I want him going back there. Sucks, 'cause the place was ultra convenient, and she's really good at teaching him - she just doesn't watch him as well as she should.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #705
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm dancing in the streets. Ashley is finally potty trained.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #706
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And our first ER trip for our kid has now occured.

Ah yes, I remember it well.

He was maybe, I dunno, 3ish. Was on the couch in the den being silly with the daughter of a friend, maybe 5 or 6 y/o. Somehow my child manages to topple off the couch ... right into the corner of a round coffee table. You wouldn't think that's exactly possible but it was. The rounded edge caught him perfectly in/on his eyebrow & he bled like a heavyweight.

Straight to the E.R. where we had our first encounter with the new procedures designed (presumably) to spot abuse. The doctor asks our son how he got hurt - while sternly motioning us with his arm to not answer - and my 3 year old, through the tears says

"I was clowning."
Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #707
digamma
Torchbearer

My wife is out of town for 10 days with our little one, so it is just our three year old and me. I'm not sure what to do with myself. I put him to bed and have my evening free. I had forgotten how easy he is compared to the baby.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #708
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Really not looking forward to trying to find a new daycare. More I stew, the less I want him going back there. Sucks, 'cause the place was ultra convenient, and she's really good at teaching him - she just doesn't watch him as well as she should.

Not sure how many of you know but our son is on the autism spectrum. When he was 3 years old he still didn't communicate and the daycare provider took advantage and would leave him with a soaked, heavy diaper. I was so pissed I went back with the wet, soiled diaper and went off on them. My God, I was fuming. I said my last words, pulled the diaper out of the baggie and showed it to them. I'm not what you say a diplomatic person. I put the diaper on their desk and said, "Look at it. Look at how heavy this thing is and he was soaking in it, wtf?" My son and I got up and left the diaper on their desk.

This daycare was right up the street. Super convenient. Anyway, moral of the story is - Convenience isn't always the best route to go, we learned this the hard way with 3 awful babysitters. It's worth it to take the time and find someone good. I'm not saying drive 20 miles to drop your son off, but find someone good and make sure you take him with you... go off his reaction. Does he seem interested? Does he cling on to you? go off their vibes, kids are very very smart.

Best of luck, I know it's a pain in the ass but if he's had more than 1 injury, that's 1 too many.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #709
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Son's school has resumed the search for a new headmaster (last year's search to replace the beloved long-time HM that retired did not produce a successful candidate).

With only two years left to go, it's a bit unnerving to me. 1st of four finalists has been announced (one per week through October) with visits & interviews coming up. The first candidate would either be a lousy fit or an agent of change (dramatically different background to our current environment), something that the initial job posting VERY clearly stated was not what was wanted.

I f'n hate transitions like this.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #710
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Roles (positions? I dunno the right word) announced for this year's Athens Academy mock trial team.

I dropped off a sophomore at 2pm.
I picked up a defense attorney at 3pm.

Those who know him best may note the irony in his role, considering that his sociopolitical alignment probably makes him a candidate for "Most Likely To Become A Hanging Judge"
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #711
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just finished reading Will's homework essay (something I don't do a lot of, 'cause I tend to nitpick). The task was to find an op-ed piece they disagreed with on some issue and then rebut it. I won't quote him nor go into the content much since it's still in an early draft state but ... let's just say that I'm probably not the most conservative member of our household at this point And politicians (or parties) who sell out their constituents may not want to count on his vote in a few years either. #Proud

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-24-2013 at 10:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #712
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Roles (positions? I dunno the right word) announced for this year's Athens Academy mock trial team.

I dropped off a sophomore at 2pm.
I picked up a defense attorney at 3pm.

This morning, after nearly four months of preparation, we dropped off a rookie defense attorney.

This afternoon we came home with a defense attorney named Outstanding Attorney of his very first competitive round. He actually got higher scores (3 judge panel) in Round 2 but an opposing (faux) lawyer had an even higher mark.

Most importantly, team finished 3rd overall to survive & advance into the District round three weeks from today. They'll open against the #2 seed from another region head-to-head in knockout play (6 team bracket) with one team eventually advancing to the state competition in March.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #713
digamma
Torchbearer

Teacher: You know, Will, you're a good looking kid.

Son (3): Yes, I've been eating a lot of carrots.

(It may take a few minutes, but you'll get there.)

(And good luck to Athens next week.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #714
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Question for the parents of FOFC.

My wife has been leaning pretty hard on me about a third kid. While I am not opposed to it I have some pretty big concerns.

We currently have an almost 4 year old boy and a 10 month old girl so obviously our hands are full most days. We have no family within 600 miles so there is almost no outside assistance with the exception of a few very close friends who are like aunts and uncles to my kids. Adding a third would make us that much busier without any help.

Financially it isn't a problem, we combined make a very good living, and would likely get a nanny if we added #3, and if not our oldest is going to school soon.

My biggest concern is we are both 38, and I worry about the health of a new baby. Now I know we have parents with special needs kids here, and I want to be sensitive to their situation, but at the risk of sounding selfish, I don't want to decide to have a 3rd kid and have it be born with a lifelong disability. I feel we have 2 perfectly healthy kids and it would almost be tempting fate. My wife also lost 2 pregnancies between our first and second, so there could be some issues with it taking. I'm not sure I want to be 60 with kids living at home and having to pay for 3 college educations and at least one wedding.

My other concerns aren't as serious. My concern if the dynamic of 3 kids opposed to 2. With a family of 4 everything is a neat package, adding a 3rd seems like it would change the logistics of a lot of things. We would have to replace at least one car, etc...

There is also the overwhelming feeling of starting it all over again, the sleepless nights, diapers, etc...but I always tell myself we have been through that twice, a third time wouldnt be a big deal.

The positives are obvious. Kids are awesome, and no matter how tiring and patience testing they can be, they are the best thing in my life, so why not want another?

Right now I am really on the fence, with the added feeling of not wanting to disappoint my wife, while not having another kid just to make her happy.

So parents of FOFC, thoughts?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #715
chesapeake
College Starter

I was 39 and my wife was 40 when my second daughter was born. We asked her doctor about the risks before we made a decision. My recollection is that although it is several times more likely that there could be complications or problems developing with the fetus, it is still a fraction of a percent. I'd recommend having the same conversation with your doctor so you are making that portion of the decision based on the best available science.

I can't help you on the 2 kids v 3 kids; we stopped at 2. We didn't want to be outnumbered by the rabble.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #716
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I guess it's as much a matter of personal preference, for me the notion of three sounds like a nightmare that would be the death of me ... but my favorite milestones of the last couple of decades include the last diaper change, the last car seat day, the last use of a stroller, etc, so there's clearly a lot of YMMV there.

I will tell you, fwiw, that my wife was 39 at the time and it was definitely a concern throughout what was (really) a relatively uncomplicated pregnancy. On the other hand, we learned years later that he was born with a minor "birth defect" (doctors & therapists word choice, not mine, so take it up with them if you don't care for it) in terms of his muscle memory, something that's hampered him with everything from athletics to handwriting. No official cause of course but it's hard not to think that our ages may have played a role in that, something that it's hard not to feel some responsibility for.

From a more practical standpoint, being on the older end of the parenting spectrum means that we seem to have a fair bit less energy than some of the more traditionally aged ones, especially as he's gotten older & the sheer time demands of being in four places a day as you run from activity to activity ramp up. I know other people do it (as you would be) with an even larger brood of course, I'm just saying that it seems to weigh a little more heavily on those of us with extra years/mileage.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #717
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We went into it with the plan that we'd try one, and if that went OK, we'd do two, but we'd be stopping at two no matter what. So now that we have two, three's never really been on our radar, and now that the younger one is 2.5 I'll echo what you said, Lathum, about "starting all over again". They say you forget how tough those first few months (especially) were, but I haven't.

On the medical front, we were both 38 when we had the second one. We did all the tests possible, including CVS, to make sure there weren't going to be any issues. I guess that's the best one can do.

I'm kinda glad we had kids "later", though. I'm glad I had my 20s and half of my 30s to do the "stuff I wanted to do". Yes, as Jon says, I have less energy for it now than I would have had in my 20s, but on the other hand, I have more money, and I've found that when it comes to kids, money can smooth over a lot of difficulties (day care, baby sitters, medication, toys, etc...). But, and here's the important part, everyone's different, and no more so than in how they handle having children.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the major parenting milestones passed today ... as Will became the state's newest legally licensed 16 year old driver. Good thing I'm going bald otherwise I'd end up really gray really quick I imagine.

The backstory on the car is actually pretty nice so I'm going to tell it. Unbeknownst to us until a few months ago, my late father-in-law had told his wife several years before he passed away that "I may not be here by the time Will turns 16 so when the time comes, you make sure you get him a car he really wants, from both of us" ... and that's exactly what she did.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #719
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Sweet car, but why is he rocking the Deacs hat? Secret desire to go to Wake Forest over Tech or Tennessee or something?

(Dear Lord, you think he's ready? I'm sure you've got a nice long list of "I will crush and melt this car if you do this" stipulations, right? )
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #720
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Sweet car, but why is he rocking the Deacs hat? Secret desire to go to Wake Forest over Tech or Tennessee or something?

Tech isn't even remotely on his radar, definitely not a STEM kid

UT is a 2nd tier option at most for him at this point, only really somewhere he'd consider if he ended up accepted for their Honors college. (Similarly -- to my wife's chagrin -- that's about the same as he'd say about Alabama)

Wake is probably the current leader with him, although he goes to a session in Atlanta tomorrow for his other very strong personal favorite (school-wise & geographically): Miami.

Quote:
(Dear Lord, you think he's ready? I'm sure you've got a nice long list of "I will crush and melt this car if you do this" stipulations, right? )

Oh believe me, I'm like Santa Claus on that shit already ... I'm making a list & checking it twice
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #721
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Have mercy the boy nearly got my ass killed, for real, earlier tonight. Left turned directly into the path of a van that was doing about 40 mph or so. Luckily the van driver was paying attention & had great reflexes.

Nothing more than a near miss ... but we've now had a lengthy conversation about the sudden discovery that he's nowhere near ready to drive on narrow city streets. Interstates? No problem. Left turns w/out an arrow? Major problem.

I'm really glad I went to the bathroom before we left the house.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #722
chesapeake
College Starter

Glad you made it home w/o becoming a hood ornament. I did something similar just after I got my license. Fortunately, the oncoming truck was going uphill, so he was able to stop in time. But I learned then that kids should never drive with just friends in the car.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #723
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Eight years out of practice, but now all the memories are flooding back of what it's like to have a newborn again. Fortunately, she's got a pretty relaxed temperament so far and has done pretty well to find her hand in situations where mom isn't around to feed her. She has only had one really out-of-control crying jag so far and that was because she'd been in a car seat too long but we couldn't take her out yet, and even then she eventually cried herself to sleep, which was something unheard of with the other two when they were newborns.

So far, I'm finding I actually have been enjoying relearning what it's like to have such a little baby around. My wife begs to differ on some points, but it's not to do with the baby, but more how her body's handled late pregnancy and these early days afterwards, which would delve way into TMI territory to talk about. I'm sure my tune may change if the baby starts getting more cranky as she gets older, but for now, I'm totally in love with the little one.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #724
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

*twitches uncontrollably*
*mutters*
*jitters*
Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #725
AnalBumCover
College Starter

For the second straight night, my daughter gave up her bed-time pacifier on her own. And for the longest time we had been worrying about how to wean her from it without too much fuss. Then with the slightest bit of urging, she just put it down and said "I'm a big girl now."
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #726
Umbrella
High School Varsity

My youngest kid graduated high school. I'm officially going to be an empty nester in a couple of months. She gave the opening speech at graduation, which was certainly a cool "proud papa" moment.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #727
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Well this is my first post in this thread. I was a single FOFC guy for about ten years and then have been lurking in this thread since I had my son 18 months ago. So my wife and I decided we wanted to have another little one to complete the panerd clan. Well life doesn't always work out as planned and we have twins on the way!

Not sure how to explain how I am feeling right now. Excited, bewildered, scared...

* Any parents of twins or of three kids within 2-3 years on here? My biggest concern is my wife's sanity when I go back to work and the lack of attention for our 2 year old once the twins are born.

* Any minivan owners on here? We love the stow and go of Dodge/Chrysler and are trying to figure out what positives other car companies offer.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #728
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My oldest suffered a slightly gruesome freak injury Thursday night. She somehow fell while playing around in the back yard and wound up with a pinkie that quite obvious was not pointing in the same direction as the other fingers on her left hand and endured a rather lengthy ER visit to treat it. I had hoped it was just dislocated based on how it looked, but the X-rays showed it was also broken just above the knuckle I think. So, she's been in a rather big splint the whole time since and has been saddened that she can't do much because of it. We'll be seeing the ortho on Monday to get the long term cast/splint for it. Hope they give her something that will let her be a bit more active (including playing in the pool) while it heals or she's really going to be crabby about it.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #729
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

There's not much more horrifying than seeing a staple sticking out of your child's skull.

Long story short, attack of the coffee table, got a tiny little gash on the back of his head. We of course take him to the ER to get looked at, it's nothing serious, but he got 1 stable. You can't even see it unless you know where to look. And it's still awful to look at.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #730
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Well this is my first post in this thread. I was a single FOFC guy for about ten years and then have been lurking in this thread since I had my son 18 months ago. So my wife and I decided we wanted to have another little one to complete the panerd clan. Well life doesn't always work out as planned and we have twins on the way!

Not sure how to explain how I am feeling right now. Excited, bewildered, scared...

* Any parents of twins or of three kids within 2-3 years on here? My biggest concern is my wife's sanity when I go back to work and the lack of attention for our 2 year old once the twins are born.

* Any minivan owners on here? We love the stow and go of Dodge/Chrysler and are trying to figure out what positives other car companies offer.

I got a 6y/o, 4y/o and 16 month old. Just embrace the chaos. Make it a point to pay particular attention to the 2 year old (in our case, the middle child). Don't let the little things bother you. Help out when you get home from work. You won't always feel like it, but it helps to pack all three up and just get out of the house for a few hours. I'll take them to the mall and let them ride the merry-go-round, or play in the playscape for a bit. Or I'll take them to the grandparents. Or Toys R Us and leet them pick something out of the $1-$5 bins. Even as simple as taking them outside in your yard. Just give the wife some time to herself here and there will help.

I dreaded getting a minivan, but I bought a Honda Odyssey and I adore it. I'd buy one without kids! We never use the stow and go. The rest of the vehicle has so much space. And it is great for hauling things that you buy that normally you would have to have delivered or borrow a pick up truck.

We are at the point now, where the "bigs" can entertain the 15 month old for a bit. Just let them all play together and the wife and I do not constantly have our eyes on them.

No offense to single child parents (I'm an only child) but you have it easy until you have 2 or more! The 2nd one, in your case 2nd and 3rd, does not double the work. It is like a 10x multiplier. In our case, the 3rd one was easy and added no work.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #731
tarcone
Coordinator

My 14 year daughter is away with a friend and her parents for a week. This is the 1st time for her. She was nervous about going. She has done weekends away, but not an entire week.
So far so good. Im happy she went, although a little nervous myself. But I trust the parents (obviously).
We took our 12 year old to a basketball camp in another state a couple weeks ago. It was 3 days long with a residence option. It is where I grew up, so we went the commuter route and stayed with my brother. It was an experiment to get her out of her comfort zone. The camp lasted about 9-11 hours a day. They fed them lunch and dinner. So she had to find people to hang with or not. She is somewhat outgoing, but gets into her comfort zone a little easily.
It worked on a grand scale I think.

So this has been a Summer of independence and growth for my daughters.

Man, they are growing up way to quick.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 06-25-2014 at 02:37 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #732
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Got the "oh shit" phone call from the 16 y/o a few days ago

"{gasp} I hit a car {sob}"

He's fine, literally barely scuffed the paint on his front fender but put a perfectly placed dent in the back bumper of a brand new Rav4. Was on private property (where he's taking his SAT/ACT prep course), the victim was a student from his own school -- who couldn't have been nicer about the whole thing -- cops did their report thing but no charges thanks to the private property location.

Cost to us (since we don't have to get insurance involved) ... about $600.

edit to add: He misjudged the angle while trying to pull into a tight parking space. So, for the record, he's now hit a post/beam in the garage AND a parked car ...

Me: "They're stationary objects son, they're kinda hard to miss"
Him: "yeah, I know, that's why I can't seem to miss them"

Smartass kid

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-25-2014 at 03:41 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #733
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Grats!

My wife wants a third pretty badly and I am digging my heels in for fear of ending up with twins.

No advice on twinse per say, but when my daughter was born my son had just turned 3. What we did was make him a helper and think he was doing importan jobs, that got him involved.

Also, one thing we did that I think was huge, when he came to the hospital for the first time after the baby was born we made sure my wife and I weren't holding the new baby. I think it was important to reinforce that we were still mommy and daddy and the new baby hadn't taken his place. We also got a gift for him to bring to the hospital for her. I think those 2 things really started it out the right way. He now loves his sister and has almost no jealous or attention seeking moments.

Now that she is getting close to old enough to play with his stuff we'll see if it lasts.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #734
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I got a 6y/o, 4y/o and 16 month old. Just embrace the chaos. Make it a point to pay particular attention to the 2 year old (in our case, the middle child). Don't let the little things bother you. Help out when you get home from work. You won't always feel like it, but it helps to pack all three up and just get out of the house for a few hours. I'll take them to the mall and let them ride the merry-go-round, or play in the playscape for a bit. Or I'll take them to the grandparents. Or Toys R Us and leet them pick something out of the $1-$5 bins. Even as simple as taking them outside in your yard. Just give the wife some time to herself here and there will help.

I dreaded getting a minivan, but I bought a Honda Odyssey and I adore it. I'd buy one without kids! We never use the stow and go. The rest of the vehicle has so much space. And it is great for hauling things that you buy that normally you would have to have delivered or borrow a pick up truck.

We are at the point now, where the "bigs" can entertain the 15 month old for a bit. Just let them all play together and the wife and I do not constantly have our eyes on them.

No offense to single child parents (I'm an only child) but you have it easy until you have 2 or more! The 2nd one, in your case 2nd and 3rd, does not double the work. It is like a 10x multiplier. In our case, the 3rd one was easy and added no work.

Yes I completely agree with your "embrace the chaos" viewpoint I also figure if one of them starts really annoying me I can always move to the other two.

We ended up buying a minivan and I have to say it is fantastic. We have already made a semi-road trip (3 hour) and have a mini vacation coming up in a couple of weeks. Plus like you said I have used it for several Home Depot runs that would have required borrowing a friend's truck or my parents van in the past. If I could go back in time 16 year old panerd would have been driving one of these.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #735
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Grats!

My wife wants a third pretty badly and I am digging my heels in for fear of ending up with twins.

No advice on twinse per say, but when my daughter was born my son had just turned 3. What we did was make him a helper and think he was doing importan jobs, that got him involved.

Also, one thing we did that I think was huge, when he came to the hospital for the first time after the baby was born we made sure my wife and I weren't holding the new baby. I think it was important to reinforce that we were still mommy and daddy and the new baby hadn't taken his place. We also got a gift for him to bring to the hospital for her. I think those 2 things really started it out the right way. He now loves his sister and has almost no jealous or attention seeking moments.

Now that she is getting close to old enough to play with his stuff we'll see if it lasts.

Thanks. Ours is too young to have any idea why mommy has a big belly and is tired all the time but by the time they are born he should be more cognizant. I am hoping that actually makes it easier. He broke his leg a few months ago and my wife and I have worried about all sorts of stuff but he just walked around with the cast on like nothing happened.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 AM   #736
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I had one of those cliched father moments tonight. We've recently gotten the middle daughter to transition to her own room to sleep at night, but it's hard for her to do it on her own, so I usually spend my time fiddling on my phone while sitting in her dark room waiting for her to go to sleep. I usually wait for her to snore a bit before thinking she's asleep and try to leave. This usually is ok, but sometimes she'll snap to when I exit the room and call me back in, claiming she wasn't asleep, so back in I go and wait for the next chance.

Well, tonight, I was sitting there on the floor as usual and I start to hear her snooze. I'd been finishing off a drink from a sandwich shop we got dinner at while waiting for her to sleep, so it was down to some ice chips and a little water. For whatever reason, the ice in the cup rattled extraordinarily loudly as I got up and moved to exit the room. Somehow the child sleeps through it. So far, so good. I pull the door shut and just barely let go of the handle standing in the hall... "Dad?" "Shit!" I grunted very loudly through clenched teeth. Something about the fact that I just swore very sharply that I'm sure everyone who was awake in the house at the time knew I said it made me start cracking up, like it was some stereotypical moment where a dad accidentally introduces his child to curse words for the first time or something. I go back into the room and at this point, I'm laughing my head off and my daughter doesn't understand why (thankfully I think she was too groggy to really understand what I had said). My wife messaged me and said "really? lol" which only made me laugh more. I do finally get settled down again and she does eventually go to sleep, but my abs got a workout from the whole thing.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #737
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So help me I think handling scheduling issues is easier for college than it is for high school. As relieved as my child will be to put K-12 behind him and move on I think our relief won't be much different.

Over it. We're just all so incredibly over it.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #738
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Colins teacher told my wife something yesterday when she picked him up from his Pre-K he started a few weeks ago. The boy whose cubby is next to Colins is in a wheelchair. She told my wife that the boys have struck up quite a friendship, and Colin always plays with this other boy and doesn't treat him any differently. They play blocks and games together and have a great time doing it. I am so proud of Colin for looking at this kid like any other boy and not treating him any differently. As parents I think we all want our children to become better people then we are, and Colin is well on his way
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #739
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It'd be nice if my family could be healthy.

In the past month:

Wife caught nasty plague.
Son had ear infection.
Daughter had stomach bug.
I caught nasty plague.
Daughter now has a double ear infection & inflamed tonsils.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #740
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since my last several posts in this thread have been less-than-fun stuff, I'll do a brag post tonight instead.

Props to my 16 y/o on being selected for the Watson-Brown Foundation Athens Chapter Junior Board. The honor involves a select group of local HS students in the grant process from RFP to application reviews to site visits, with them ultimately selecting recipient(s) of grants designed to preserve local history. It's a unique and highly useful experience that I'm happy he'll have.

I think the last 2-3 years worth of honorees from his school has included valedictorians & class presidents/officers, so for him to be selected ain't half bad company to be keeping.

It's also a great fit for him I think, something right up his alley.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #741
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I haven't posted in here for a while...It's a Brag...

My daughter has been applying to colleges and working her tail off. Right now she is at 3.84 GPA and an 1170 on her SATs

She has applied to the following schools:

Georgetown
George Washington
Notre Dame
George Mason
James Madison
Niagara University
Hofstra
Roanoke
University of Utah
SUNY - Geneseo

Her #1 she wants to attend is George Mason, but the acceptance letters are coming in.

Right now she has been accepted to Niagara U with a 15K Scholarship and she just received an acceptance letter to Roanoke for 17K with it converting to full ride if she performs well with academics. Right now, her hard work is paying off and she is flabbergasted, she didn't think she would get this much in scholarships.

Right now I think she will go 10/10 on acceptance, it's just now figuring out who will pay the most
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #742
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My youngest daughter, all of seven months, is deciding she wants to keep up with her much, much older sisters (11 and 8). In the past few days, she's figured out crawling, cruising, and climbing a step.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 11-25-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #743
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just confirmed today that we are headed to China on 12/10 to adopt our daughter. We'll be in China from 12/11 to 12/24, arriving home around midnight on Christmas Eve.

Going to be a very special Christmas this year
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #744
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Just confirmed today that we are headed to China on 12/10 to adopt our daughter. We'll be in China from 12/11 to 12/24, arriving home around midnight on Christmas Eve.

Going to be a very special Christmas this year

That is awesome!

Hoopsguy did something similar several years back, can't remember if it was China or not. I'm sure he would be happy to give any advice, as would I being someone who was adopted.

Looks like today is the day, hope all goes well!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #745
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Has this happened yet?

Should be getting close.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #746
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Me: "They're stationary objects son, they're kinda hard to miss"
Him: "yeah, I know, that's why I can't seem to miss them"

Smartass kid

You realize you totally deserve this, right?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #747
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Him (6 years old): Daddy, do you have to get married?
Me: No, not if you don't want to.
Him: But if the woman you're with wants to get married, then you have to, right?
Me: Yes. Good point.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #748
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Has this happened yet?

Should be getting close.

Yes, last weekend. Thanks for asking. Two healthy (and big) baby boys. Wife actually avoided a C-section somehow which is fantastic for being able to deal with 3 boys under the age of 3. :-) Our oldest is doing a great job as big brother and loves them! Here is a family picture we just took for our Christmas card...

Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #749
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Congrats!

Great picture and great looking family ya got there!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #750
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Nice! GREAT picture.