Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Werewolf XVIII: To Crown a King (GAME OVER)

This will be a fairly basic game of Werewolf, with a couple of twists. The full rules will be posted in the next post. Sign-ups will occur from now until sometime on Saturday. I will then close sign-up and send out roles either Saturday night or Sunday morning. The game will start on Monday December 5.

While the full rules are posted below a summary of the three biggest changes are:
1. With-in the "human" side there will be at least 2 teams, both attempting to have its leader crowned King. This is a victory condition for the "humans".
2. Human sides recieve points based on how well its members vote. Vote for a lot of assassins and get a lot of points.
3. Players may be either jailed or executed. Jailed players may later be freed and can still talk and participate in the game, though they may not vote.

There are of course other changes so you are encouraged to read the rules. I attempt to make the rules thorough to avoid having to answer questions during the game which might affect the outcome of the game.

Signed-up Players
1. George W Bush
2. ardent enthusiast
3. dubb93
4. st.cronin
5. McSweeny
6. Mr. Wednesday
7. Vince
8. Desnudo
9. Coffee Warlord
10. RPI-Fan
11. TazFTW
12. Blade6119
13. kingfc22
14. pennywisesb Raiders Army
15. hoopsguy
16. Schmidity
17. Passacalagia
18. saldana

Alternate
1. SnDvls

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 12-08-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Game Basics:

In this game there are two main sides, the Nobles and the Assassins. Within the Nobles there will be two or more (depending on the number of players) Factions. Each faction is attempting to have its own leader crowned King. This game rewards players for correct decision making giving them points based on how they vote.

Game Etiquette
Please do not post any PMs you might receive from me. Feel free to paraphrase but outright posting is not allowed. What happens in the game should be based on what has happened in the game. Please do not wager or let outside grudges affect the game. If you are concerned that a strategy might not be allowed by the rules please contact me before attempting the strategy. Please do not edit/delete posts. The exception for this is to correct spelling or add another quick point with-in a couple minutes of the original posting. Finally, dead players, are well dead, and should avoid influencing the outcome of the game.

The last game of werewolf went spectacularly well and I’m sure this game will be just as much fun.

Victory Conditions:

Each side has its own set of victory conditions and can achieve various levels of success.

For the Assassins a normal victory is achieved when a 1-1 ratio of free Assassins and Nobles happens. A major victory is if an assassin is crowned king.

For the Nobles a minor victory is achieved if a non-assassin Noble is crowned king. A normal victory is achieved if a non-assassin Noble from his faction is crowned king OR if all Assassins have been executed. A major victory is achieved if there are no free assassins and a noble from his faction is crowned king.

Cycles

Each day cycle will last approximately 24 hours. Each night cycle will last approximately 12 hours. This is designed to try and let as many people with busy schedules, or who live overseas, participate. Weekends will be left to the discretion of the GM with player input. The game will start with a night 0 cycle.

Voting:

There are three types of votes: Execute, Jail, and Free.

A vote to execute is a vote to kill the person. This is a normal lynch and will result in the person’s role being revealed.

A vote to jail is a vote to send the person to jail. Jail will be explained more below. There is no role reveal

A vote to free is a vote to release a person in jail from jail.

Votes to execute and jail are counted together for determining the most votes. Whichever action (execute or jail) has more votes will be the action performed. Noble Leaders votes count double for purposes of deciding execution or jailing.

Example 1:

There are 7 Players (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G)

Player A votes Vote Player B Execute
Player B votes Vote Player A Execute
Player C votes Vote Player B Jail
Player D votes Vote Player B Jail
Player E votes Vote Player A Execute
Player F votes Vote Player A Execute
Player G votes Vote Player B Execute

In this case Player B has received 4 votes and Player A has received 3 votes. Player B will be either jailed or executed based on the tie breaker.

Example 2:

There are 4 Players (Players A, B, C, and D)

Player A is in jail and cannot vote
Player B votes Free Player A
Player B votes Free Player A
Player D votes Execute Player A

In this case Player A is freed from jail.

Ties will be decided based on the first vote cast (votes which are unvoted and reinstated are counted at the time of the reinstatement).

All votes should be bolded say Vote, state the player’s name, and then the action to perform and should be the last thing in a post.

Example:
VOTE Barkeep49 Jail.

All unvotes must be accompanied by a new vote on a separate line. Failure to cast a new vote at the same time as the unvote will result in the original vote remaining in place.
Example:
UNVOTE Barkeep49 Jail

Vote Barkeep49 Execute

A player must unvote and then vote in order to change their vote from a Jail to Execute (or vice versa).

Points are award to Orders based on how well its members vote. Note that if a person is executed, points are awarded to players regardless of whether they voted to execute or jail.

If a person who is executed is an assassin:
+3 points for the first vote cast
+5 points for the lynching votes (in other words if the final votes is 8-3, the 4th vote cast is considered the lynching vote)
+1 point for all other votes

If a person who is executed is a Noble:
-2 points for the first vote cast (-2.5 if the person was a member of your faction)
-3.5 points for the lynching vote (-4 if the person was a member of your faction)
-.5 points to each player of that faction who voted to execute

Other:
+.5 points for any person voting to Jail the opposing Noble leader, whether or not they recieve the most votes
+.5 points for any person voting to execute an assassin who does not receive the most votes
+.5 points for any person voting to free a member of his faction from jail, whether or not they recieve the most votes
+1.5 point for the first person to vote to send an assassin to jail, if the assassin is sent to jail
+1.5 point for the “lynching” vote to send an assassin to jail, if the assassin is sent to jail
-.5 points for the first person to vote to send a noble to jail, if the noble is sent to jail
-.5 points for the “lynching” vote to send a noble to jail, if the noble is sent to jail

Points will not be revealed until after the first execution. Points will then be updated only after each execution.

Jail:

While in jail a person may still speak, but cannot vote or use any special roles, includ asssin abilities, they might have (except for the Rich Noble). They may not be killed by the assassins.

Crowning the King
After the first execution e a point total will be revealed. Once a faction achieves that point total they automatically crown their Noble Leader king, if he is not in jail.

Noble Roles:

There will be 1 Noble Leader and at least 1 Fast Talking Noble for each faction in the game. There will also be 1 Wise Noble. All other roles may or may not be in the game and there may be more than 1 of each role.

Noble Leader
This is the person who the faction is trying to get crowned King. This person is known to all members of his faction, however he does not know who any of the members of his faction are. During the night cycle he may send a 10 word message to all members of his faction. His vote carries twice the weight for determining if a person is jailed or executed. Finally, he may designate either even or odd days and on those days he will have a retinue watching over him during night, preventing the assassins from killing him. If the Noble Leader is killed or executed, a new member of the faction (based on a secret order determined before the start of the game by the GM) becomes Noble Leader after 1 cycle (either day or night).

Warrior Noble
Well trained in the martial arts, this Noble may designate one player to be protected during the night cycle, by his entourage. If the assassins attempt to kill that player the attack will fail. The same player may not be protected 2 nights in a row. The Warrior Noble may choose to protect himself.

Sleepless Noble
This poor Noble has trouble sleeping. Once during the game, the insomniac may choose to wander the castle at night. If there is a kill that night, he will learn the identity of one of the assassins. Likewise, that assassin will learn his identity.

Sneaky Noble:
During the night the Sneaky Noble may examine the correspondences of 1 noble to determine whether or not they are an assassin (or in the case of a blackmailed Noble Leader, on the assassins’ side).

Fast Talking Noble
If targeted by the assassins to be killed, this smooth talker will convince the assassins that he is on their side and becomes an assassin. This Noble will still recieve all messages from the Noble leader but will not count towards his former faction for point and voting purposes. If the known Noble Leader dies after the Fast Talking Noble has become an assassin, he will not learn the identity of the new Noble Leader. Nobles won’t know if they’re a fast enough talker until targeted by the assassins and it is possible that the Assassins will only put up with so many "fast talkers" before they will start to ignore such people. This Noble may have an additional role, but will lose those role's powers if they become an assassin.

Lucky Noble
This Noble has remarkably good luck when it counts. One time during the game, if targeted by the assassins, this Noble will not be assassinated. He will know that he was the target of a killing, but will not learn the identities of any of the assassins. Nobles won’t know how lucky they are until they survive an assassination attempt. This Noble may have an additional role.

Rich Noble
With a lot of money to burn, once per game this Noble may bribe the guards to release all people currently in the jail, during the night cycle. This may be used even if the Rich Noble is in jail.

Cocky Noble
This Noble isn’t afraid to take matters into his own hands. Once per game he may kill another player during the night phase. If prevented by bodyguards he may try again.

Wise Noble
This Noble is able to pick up on little clues to make correct deductions. He may send in two roles per night and learn if that role is currently present in the game, and how many there are, if present. Upon his death, a list with all the roles he’s found for each day will be found.

Assassins Powers and Roles

The Assassins may freely communicate with each other. Each night the assassins may choose to kill someone or to free all those in jail. If choosing to kill, one of the assassins should be designated as the killer. Unless there is only one assassin, the same assassin may not kill two times (note that this does not say nights) in a row.

As a Night 0 action, the Assassins may choose one player to Blackmail. If this player is, or becomes, a Noble Leader, he will be notified that is now on the Assassins team, and future votes will not count towards his Faction’s points. However, he does not learn the identities of the other assassins and may not perform any assassin actions. The Assassins will know if a Blackmail attempt has been successful.

All roles below may, or may not, be in the game and there may be more than 1 of a role. The Fast Talking Noble may become one of the following roles if he becomes an assassin.

Sly Assassin
This assassin is not what he appears to be. If viewed by the Sneaky Noble, this Assassin will show up as a normal Noble. If he is killed, however, his true identity as Sly Assassin will be revealed.

Vengeful Assassin
If sent to be executed, this assassin will shoot a poison dart into one of the Nobles, causing him to die during the next night cycle. A search of this assassin’s corpse will only reveal him to be a regular Assassin, without special powers.

Clever Assassin
Once per game this Assassin, instead of killing a target, may instead plant evidence on the victim, so if that victim is later killed he will appear to have been an assassin.

Efficient Assassin
Able to kill quickly and easily, once per game this assassin may select two targets for the night kill.

Tricky Assassin
Once per game the tricky assassin may choose to have his victim die during the following night cycle, instead of the current night cycle. A search of this assassin’s corpse will only reveal him to be a regular Assassin, without special powers. If the Sleepless Noble power is used, the Sleepless Noble will learn the Trick Assassin's identity and vice versa.

Order Roles are Performed

During the Night Cycle, orders are performed in the following order:
1. Warrior Noble and Noble Leader’s protect
2. Sleepless Noble
3. Assassin’s action
4. Cocky Noble
5. Sneaky Noble
6. Rich Noble
7. Wise Noble

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 12-07-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

I'm in, since I can now access the site from work, due to the change to the new server (WOOHOO)
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
saldana
Pro Starter

barkeep, looks awesome, my only question at this point it what times are you looking at for deadlines (i wont play if i cant be available for the deadlines)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm in, with no betting this time.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
SnDvls
Pro Starter

looks like fun, I'd love to play, but we're moving into a new house this weekend then it's the daughter's 1st birthday so I'll have to pass this time. I'll be following along though. Put me down as an alternate if someone has to bail out during the game, maybe my time will free up a little then.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
barkeep, looks awesome, my only question at this point it what times are you looking at for deadlines (i wont play if i cant be available for the deadlines)
I'm looking at 9 AM and 9 PM or 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern being the deadlines. This works fairly well in my schedule while working well for most parts of the country. The long day cycle is intended to give the maximum number of people a chance to play. However, if people tell me this doesn't work in practice I am amenable to going to a more traditional cycle like the one Neon had in WW16.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 11-30-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Make me the seer. That role rules. I really enjoyed it.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

LOL. I'm done with that.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm in....

I'll bet you 5 bucks I can get you betting by the end of the game Ardent
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Time stamp error above.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

I'll play again.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
McSweeny
College Starter

this looks pretty interesting, i'm in again if
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I'll play.

Barkeep, did you intentionally omit the spymaster role? It's referenced in the assassin section but not listed in the nobles section.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #15
Vince
Pro Starter

Mr. Wednesday beat me to the punch.

I'll sign up -- lord knows I followed that other game too much without even being involved.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm in please.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I do believe his Coffee-ness shall return to the fray for this one.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #18
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm; in.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #19
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This one sounds like it will be interesting to watch.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #20
Vince
Pro Starter

Damn it, I had my day one vote lined up until you said that RA
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 PM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Damn it, I had my day one vote lined up until you said that RA
LOL. Sorry, but it always seems as if I'm a wolf. I'm watching from the sidelines this time!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #22
McSweeny
College Starter

i just re-read the rules again, looks like this will be quite confusing

excellent

McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #23
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I'm in.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #24
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
I'll play.

Barkeep, did you intentionally omit the spymaster role? It's referenced in the assassin section but not listed in the nobles section.

The spymaster became the Sneaky Noble. It has been fixed in the rules. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
i just re-read the rules again, looks like this will be quite confusing

excellent

Unlike Spawn I think the game itself should be easy to understand for anyone familiar with Werewolf. I just hope the game itself will be interesting for all sides .
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Vote Ardent Execute

Oh wait. Sorry.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #26
saldana
Pro Starter

I'm in. i will have to beg a little to get IT to change my window as soon as the night deadline becomes official

i'm sure Dubb is suspicious of me already
Old 11-30-2005, 06:42 PM   #27
kingfc22
Head Coach

Doh. Too late already??? I already see an alternate list...

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-30-2005 at 06:43 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #28
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Doh. Too late already??? I already see an alternate list...
sndvls asked to be on the alternate list, the signups are still open as far as i know
Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #29
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Vote Ardent Execute

Oh wait. Sorry.

VOTE WARLORD DIE

Old 11-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #30
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I think we need to take a serious look at Saldana. Something tells me he is an assassian
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #31
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im in if there is still spots available
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #32
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Im in if there is still spots available
Yes there are plenty of spots still available.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #33
kingfc22
Head Coach

Barkeep - add me to the list
Old 11-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #34
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Yes there are plenty of spots still available.

Got it, then im in...saw sundvls listed as alternate and got worried i was too late
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #35
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Nice, I'll play.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #36
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
I think we need to take a serious look at Saldana. Something tells me he is an assassian
just kill me now and get it over with

Last edited by saldana : 12-01-2005 at 12:31 AM. Reason: yeah, i can spell
Old 12-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #37
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93

LOL. Thats exactly what I was thinking Dubb, he seems pretty suspicious.....
Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #38
hoopsguy
General Manager

Is there any doubt that the president will be the first one assassinated, just because you don't get opportunities like that all that often?

I'll be in if this doesn't start until next week. This week is a mess. If you are looking for an earlier start then please pencil me in as an alternate.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #39
Barkeep49
Coordinator

One final bump. After looking over my schedule we'll probabally do 9 AM and 10 PM Eastern as the deadlines.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wasn't sure I'd have time to play, but what the heck...count me in.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #41
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm in if there's room.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #42
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Actually, Schmidty, you can have the last spot. Put me in as alternate 2.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #43
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Actually, Schmidty, you can have the last spot. Put me in as alternate 2.

We can have both of you if im not mistaken...he just shows next spot on top post, but hes one that sine 4-5 guys...note my post a couple up
Demotivation
Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #44
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
We can have both of you if im not mistaken...he just shows next spot on top post, but hes one that sine 4-5 guys...note my post a couple up
Yes that is correct. I can basically accomodate with balance any number of players in this game larger than 10 since I can simply duplicate or omit roles in order to provide balance. So I'm putting you both in. If you'd like to be an alternate instead that's fine as well, but the more the merrier.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #45
Barkeep49
Coordinator

One final bump. For balance purposes 1 more player would be ideal.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #46
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Werewolf roles have been sent to everyone but Blade. Blade your inbox is full. Please empty some room so I may send you your role.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #47
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Scenario:
You are a noble in the land of Pastel Order. Your king has recently died after a long and prosperous rule. According to the law of your land, all of the nobles assemble to elect a new king, based on merit.. For many of you it will be the first time you’ve had a chance to crown a king. From all over the land the various Nobles arrive. Some are well known, others more obscure. What can be certain is the eclectic mix of individuals.

On the first formal night of the assembly there is a magnificent banquet. As the banquet comes to an end, the previous king’s Prime Minister stands up.

“Assembled nobles welcome. I know it is with a heavy heart that all of you have come here today. I must, however, make your heart heavier. Our spies have learned that the evil land of Antler Fanatics has infiltrated the highest level of our kingdom. Their lust for our land is well known and it seems as though some of you in this very room have been trained as assassins. Nobles you must not let this nefarious plot work. I urge you to jail or kill one person in this room each day until we have crowned a king. The success of your decisions will be reported to the populace of the kingdom. Our citizens are wise and will only accept equally wise rulers. Good luck to all of you”

With that the banquet ends and the Nobles go off to plot what they will do in the days to come.

Please note the changes made to the Fast Talking Noble role. There are also a couple of other minor changes that I’ve made over the past few days to various parts of the rules.

These changes, particularly to the Fast Noble role, were made to ensure game balance. This set of rules has never been used before and I believe there to be a couple of obvious strategies for each side to use in the first couple of days. I balanced the game accordingly. If, however, these weren’t as obvious as I had thought I wanted to make sure the game did not quickly become unfair/unfun.

Night Zero Actions are due by Monday at 9 AM Eastern, but will be processed earlier if received earlier. The first lynch deadline will be 10 PM Eastern Monday. After that we’ll be trying the roughly 12/24 cycles described in the rules.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #48
Blade6119
Coordinator

So night actions we go, but im sure we can start game too...So what does everyone think would be a great strategy? Or just random votes and hope we come out ok?
Demotivation
Old 12-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #49
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't understand why this game is called "werewolf."
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #50
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I don't understand why this game is called "werewolf."

This game is nothing, you need to go back and read some of the previous "werewolf" games. And I'd recommend it to anyone new to the game anyway. It may take a while, but it will greatly help you ability to pick things up during the game.