Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

Aging Players in Pro Strategy Football 2014

Hey, I'm still working through all this and testing, wanted to throw this out there in case anyone has some feedback.

What I'm doing is, at the end of a season:
(1) age all players one year
(2) for every active player, based on his age and position, calculate two values for every attribute (durability, speed, etc), increasePct and decreasePct. I plan on these being very small, with increasePct a little higher when they're young, and decreasePct increasing as they start getting pretty old for their position. Note that these differ for different attributes. So, for example, a great QB may not see his Leadership diminish even as he ages, but may start seeing his durability decrease or maybe his long passes.
(3) roll the dice for every attribute and see if it increases or decreases

In addition, your allocations into training and conditioning will affect the results during the season.

Here's the important point, though. I don't think you'll see many changes each season unless a player is very young or very old, and even then you won't always see changes. My fear is that if I increase young players every season, that'll be unrealistic, and on the other hand, I don't want to lose players too quickly.

The odds will differ based on age, though. There will be a higher chance of very young players increasing.

One last thing. Since I currently have team values for offensive and defensive lines, I'll have to assign a random chance of them decreasing, and a small chance of them increasing. If they do decrease, you're going to want to address that in the draft phase.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this. I imagine the best test will be when it's in people's hands, though!

Pro Strategy Football is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Pro Strategy Football
High School JV

I'm also trying to decide how to use your Training and Conditioning resources. I see two options:
(1) at the end of preseason run one more round where I assign a small percentage based on your allocations and check every player to see if their durability, etc changed.
(2) leave ratings alone in the preseason and instead use your values when computing results during the game

Number (1) has a few advantages. One, some players may see improvement (or even decrease if you didn't allocate anything) while other players don't. Two, you can see the effect in the ratings rather than it being hidden. Three, it's much simpler.

Disadvantages to number (1) are that it's very coarse. Changing a player's speed from 7 to 8 is more significant than me using a small modifier in the game.

One big difference is that number (1) might make a change in none, some, or all your players, while number (2) would affect everyone.

*** I've decided to go with option (1), and I'll have the percentages vary by their current values, too. For example, if you put resources into conditioning, then a player with a low durability has a better chance at increasing it than a player who already has a durability of 8.

Last edited by Pro Strategy Football : 11-08-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Pro Strategy Football is offline   Reply With Quote