Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Action!PC Golf 2014 Released

Last year the first version of the game was released, which was discussed in this thread.

Action! PC Golf: Available - Front Office Football Central

New version has been released with many new enhancements, which I have listed below. If you enjoy golf (especially during Masters weekend), it's a good strategy golf game that produces realistic results and atmosphere. It is not an arcade/3d game like Tiger Woods Golf, but offers a really good golfing experience.

Link to game page.
Action! PC Golf

Listed Enhancements:

2014 Edition Features

New Gameplay Features

•The 14 clubs in each golfer's bag can be customized from an assortment of woods, hybrids, irons, and wedges. Club trajectories and distances are modeled using real tour launch monitor data.

•Clubs are now selected for short game shots. The amount the shot carries and rolls is dependent on the club selected. If you don't carry a high lofted wedge in the bag, you'll have difficulty with short side pitches from poor lies.

•Vastly improved short game AI allows computer controlled golfers to better navigate difficult slopes on and around the greens. This also applies to user shots when “Auto Read Greens” is on.

•A new option for simple shot targeting allows you to simply click the spot where you want the shot to end up. The computer AI will generate a setup that, if perfectly executed, finishes as close as possible to that spot. Once a spot is targeted, the landing and finishing points of the generated shot are displayed, and the shot controls are set for that shot. Any adjustments to the shot can be made manually before clicking the swing button. This option allows users to skip the nuances of shot making and focus on broader strategy decisions. It's also a great way to learn the game, since you get to see how the AI sets up the shot to get it where you want. This option expands the game play styles available; from a simple click to target mode, to advanced setup without any aids.

•Enhanced physics and animation on putts creates a realistic depiction of putts with multiple breaks.

•Instant replay is available after each shot.

•Occasional unplayable lies in spots like trees, deep rough, waste areas, and pot bunkers require a drop with a one shot penalty.

•Approach shots can hit and deflect off the pin.

•Improved approach shot AI allows computer golfers to pick smarter targets on the green in different circumstances. You'll see longer shots aimed away from trouble, and wedge shots more precisely targeting the pin. Computer golfers are also better at using slopes on the greens to get approaches close to the target.

•Improved ball flight and roll animation, and improved reactions to terrain and slopes on the course.

•Option to choose wood or metal wood sounds in season preferences.

New Team Events

•Team cup events of up to 8 sessions and 12 players per team. Events are completely customizable or can be loaded from a preset template. Teams can be created player by player or filled automatically using various statistical categories and rankings, filtered by country or world region. Detailed stats are kept for each event.

•Team event templates can be saved for frequently used formats. About a dozen templates are included with the game, covering many popular formats.

•Teams can be created and saved for use in team events. Stats for saved teams are kept, including record, matches won and lost, holes won and lost, average winning/losing margin and more.

•A team ratings report shows the strengths and weaknesses of each saved team.

•Saved teams can be tracked in stroke play events on the new teams tab. After selecting how many scores should be counted from each team, every saved team that has at least that many players in the event will be displayed with its total score on the team leader board. When creating stroke play tournaments, players can be added to the field by team.

•Rankings are kept for USA, International, and European cup teams. These rankings can be used to create your teams at the end of the season.

Course Customization and Enhancements

•Custom course creation allows courses to be made using holes from any installed courses. Courses can be created from scratch or existing courses can be edited. Course name, location, and weather averages can also be set.

•Custom course layouts – edit the par, tee and pin positions of each hole on a course to create alternate layouts which can be used in any round. Examples of custom layouts could include: matching the week's tournament setup, historical tee positions, creating a par three course out of a standard course, converting par 4s to par 5s, setting more difficult or easier pins, and more. Many existing courses have been updated with alternate layouts mirroring their various real life course setups.

•Most course imagery has been retouched and enhanced for cleaner, more vibrant graphics.

•Add course logos by saving a 'Logo.jpg' image in any course folder.

New Casual Round Options

•New casual round game modes include best ball (stroke and match play), skins game, and modified stableford scoring.

•Choose custom starting and finishing holes for casual rounds, plus a 36 hole option.

•Option to set the starting score for each player in casual rounds allows you to recreate the last group on Sunday. This option along with custom start and finish holes allows many different scenarios to be created.

•Casual rounds can now be saved and resumed later.

New Statistics

•Strokes Gained Putting, which measures putting ability by comparing the result of every putt to the tour average from that distance, is now a tracked statistic for golfers and individual holes.

•Hole stats report includes score average, fairway and green percent, putting, and scoring breakdown for each hole. This report can be filtered by course, par, and hole number.

•Course stats include best round and scoring average.

•New player of the year award standings.

•New golfer rankings report displays world, money, cup points, player of the year, and team qualifying ranks.

•Stats are kept for major championship finishes and money earned.

•Individual golfer stats are kept for each tournament, viewable on the summary form by round and totals.

•More stats have been added to the shot by shot scorecard for each round, including strokes gained putting, driving distance, proximity, scrambling, and more.

New Tournament Features

•The new tournament leader board is sortable by categories including cup points, world rank, alphabetical, country, and more.

•Modified stableford scoring option in tournaments.

•A first tee announcer announces players on the first tee of tournaments using the Windows narrator voice. A pronunciation tool allows you to adjust how names are pronounced. Many common golf names and places have pronunciations already built in.

New Tools and Options

•Import golfer ratings from one season to another. Similar to the model league function in our other games, this allows you to update your season in progress with new ratings. For example, upon finishing the 2013 season ratings can be updated using the 2014 data to continue on to the next season, preserving existing stats and rankings. New players are also optionally imported.

•Option to choose what month the season starts in. This allows the current wraparound schedule to be used.

•Season era sliders have been added to account for equipment and course conditions of past eras. These include driving accuracy, approach shots, short game, and putting.

New Appearance

•New background images. Save any of your own images into the 'Images/Backgrounds' folder and they will be used as backgrounds without having to be renamed.

•Add course logos by saving a 'Logo.jpg' image in any course folder.

•The new schedule form displays tour, tournament, and course logos when installed. Events are color coded by type of event, with major championships in bold.

•Click a hole on reports and tournament screens to view the hole image.

•Add a tour logo to the season folder or the game's images folder in the format “TourLogo.jpg” and it will be displayed on the tour schedule.

•Golfer pictures are now displayed on the leader board. Golfer pictures and course logos are displayed on the end of round form.

SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Bought it. Last version was great and this one looks even better!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Bought it. Last version was great and this one looks even better!

I can't argue with that
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

In case anyone is interested and not sure what it plays like, the developer posted an excellent walk-through of 18 holes....gives good perspective on the game.

2014 Golf - 18 Hole Walkthrough - YouTube
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So does this have a season/career mode in it?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
So does this have a season/career mode in it?

By default, you play a season...for example the seasons currently available are 1920's, 1962, 1973, 1986, 1993, 2000, 2012, 2013, 2013-2014, and all time greats....you can play a bunch of tournaments for that season, like a tour.

As for career play, there are two ways you can play multiple seasons, but neither is the traditional career play (i.e. aging, skill changes, etc.).

1) At the end of the season, you can choose to advance to next year and you'll be able to play as many years in a row you want, keeping all the stats for each year.

2) A new feature with this version is you can you can import ratings from another season into the current year. An example of this is if I just completed the 2012 season, I can import the 2013 season. What this will do is for all golfers in the 2012 season that match golfers in the 2013 season, their ratings would be changed to the 2013 ratings. Any golfers in the 2013 season that didn't exist in the 2012 season, will be added. Therefore allows you to play consecutive seasons with ratings changing based on each season. Also keeps all your stats.

As mentioned, not what you traditionally call career play, but you can play seasons after seasons keeping the stat history and changing the ratings if you use option #2.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
APC
Mascot

I'm thinking about giving the 2015 version of this game a shot. It looks intriguing.

But how much control do you really have over your golfer? Can you take a decent player and make him good to great if you strategize right? Or do guys mostly perform to how they did during that particular season?
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
I'm thinking about giving the 2015 version of this game a shot. It looks intriguing.

But how much control do you really have over your golfer? Can you take a decent player and make him good to great if you strategize right? Or do guys mostly perform to how they did during that particular season?

You have a lot of control over your golfer during a round of golf....you make all the decisions as far as your golf shot setup (club, aiming, type, shape, etc.), but of course you have to play the strengths of the golfer your playing. Don't expect to be a long hitter if the golfer your using isn't known for it. Each golfer is based on ratings so they will normally play within that range so its not realistic to take the worse golfer and expect them to win consistently with you controlling them, unless you just happen to call the perfect golf shots and get a lot of luck. But just because you don't win all the time, doesn't mean it can't be still fun with a lower ability golfer. Its still fun and challenging to see if you can do better than real life. If you play with the top talent on the tour, you certainly will have a better chance of success.

As I always say, the company offers a 30 day money back guarantee....really no risk to try it and if doesn't work out, return it....although I think you will enjoy it.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
APC
Mascot

I've never played a golf sim. It doesn't seem like a sport that would lend itself to a sim game instead of an arcade game.

But Dave's other games are so great that golf recently caught my eye and I'm considering giving it a try. And yes, the money-back option is always there if I need it.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I've never played a golf sim. It doesn't seem like a sport that would lend itself to a sim game instead of an arcade game.

But Dave's other games are so great that golf recently caught my eye and I'm considering giving it a try. And yes, the money-back option is always there if I need it.

I would agree that most popular games like Tiger Woods golf certainly give the impression of golf being an arcade game, but APC Golf is no where like an arcade game. It has all the strategy options you would assume a golf game would have and the results/tournaments play out fairly realistically. I am certainly in the minority, but I would play this game over Tiger Woods golf (and golf club, perfect swing, etc.) since I enjoy the strategy/realistic results more so than my ability to control the golfer via gamepads and such. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy arcade golf games for casual fun and own most of them, just prefer this one more.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #11
APC
Mascot

How does the game handle different eras? Will the older golfers always be at a disadvantage compared to today's golfers since today's golfers hit it so much further?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
Ramzavail
College Starter

an option for fictional golfers would appeal to me.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
path12
Coordinator

I bought the version from a couple years back and still play the occasional round.

If you like the idea of a board game on your PC you'll probably like this. If you are hoping for a new EA Tiger Woods, well, not so much.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Is Augusta available as a custom course?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Is Augusta available as a custom course?

Augusta comes with the initial game package when you buy it.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
an option for fictional golfers would appeal to me.

There is an option to create your own golfers so you could make a fictional world for yourself with some work.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I bought the version from a couple years back and still play the occasional round.

If you like the idea of a board game on your PC you'll probably like this. If you are hoping for a new EA Tiger Woods, well, not so much.

That's interesting....although I agree it absolutely is no tiger woods or any game like that, I don't really get a "board" game feel from it either. To me it is a golf strategy game that with reasonable graphics/control for this type of game.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #18
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
How does the game handle different eras? Will the older golfers always be at a disadvantage compared to today's golfers since today's golfers hit it so much further?

There are various era settings you can change such as driving distances, other shot types, tee locations, etc.....gives you the ability to represent the different equipment/skills/conditions over the years.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
APC
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
There are various era settings you can change such as driving distances, other shot types, tee locations, etc.....gives you the ability to represent the different equipment/skills/conditions over the years.

So, for example, if I create an all-time greats tournament, will the modern players have an edge because of how far they hit it? Or are settings available to balance that out?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #20
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
So, for example, if I create an all-time greats tournament, will the modern players have an edge because of how far they hit it? Or are settings available to balance that out?

In your specific example of distance, there is an average driving distance setting that you set as part of the season your playing that represents the average driving distance for a 7.0 rated golfer ( average golfer) in distance. So that settng would help make cross era golfers compatible in distance since their golfer rating is based on how well they did in a given year compared to other golfers in that same year. For example (just making up the stats), if Nicklaus was rated a 7.2 in 1975 and tiger was rated a 7.6 in 2000, if they played each other tiger would still have an advantage. If both Nicklaus and tiger had a 7.4 in their respective seasons, then they would generally be even in distance when they played each other.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #21
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just FYI, ActionPC Golf 2015 version was released last night....here are the enhancements for this year.

2015 Edition Features

•New match play tournaments allow brackets of anywhere from four to 256 golfers. Matches can be played over one round or a best of up to 11 matches. Any type of tournament can be held as match play, from an exhibition, up to a major championship.

•All time and season records are now tracked in over 50 categories. Examples include records like longest putt, most birdies in a round, largest 18 hole comeback, youngest major championship winner, and many more. All time records include real world records as a starting point, and all records are tracked automatically and can be edited manually.

•New pop-up zoomed view of the hole is displayed when the ball is within about ten feet, adding to the suspense and detail of shots and putts that pass near the hole.

•Option to download live real world weather at any location in the world, for all modes of play. Live weather locations are preset for each course and can be customized.

•The new scorecard search form will find all tournament scorecards that match any desired maximum and minimum criteria, including round score, number of birdies, longest drive, and more. Click any found scorecard to view detailed shot by shot round info and statistics.

•All tournament scorecards for the current season are listed on each golfer form. Click any scorecard for detailed shot by shot info and statistics.

• Expanded golfer photo options include multiple action shots, as well as easy drag and drop tools to add photos. To add an image from the new form, drag and drop it from your file explorer right onto the form, and then choose the type of shot and lie you'd like it to apply to. For example, you could have a picture that appears only on wedge shots from deep rough. It's possible to add dozens of photos each for your favorite golfers. Photos are not included.

• Terrain around the green is displayed automatically before approach and short game shots. The “read green” and “terrain at this point” options show more detailed depiction of the slopes that might affect the shot.

• Improved landing and roll-out physics, and improved interaction between course firmness and each type of surface.

• Import and export schedules from one season to another. Several schedule templates are included.

•Import tournament fields from a simple text list of players.

• Import world rankings from a csv file that lists player names alongside points average.

• Tournament summary reports now show cup points, money earned, and change in cup and world rankings.

•The tournament field limit has been increased to 256 golfers for all tournament types.

• New option to show post shot analysis for computer controlled golfers.

•Several tutorial videos are included within the game, and more will be added throughout the season.

•New left/right tendency tracking for tee shots.

•Included “Heroes of April 1960-2014” set includes 33 major championship winners.

•Included 2014-15 season with 300 golfers rated through March 2015, a complete schedule, and national teams.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thank you for all of your information.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #23
frnk55
High School Varsity

Love that it tracks all time records. Cool stuff.
I don't suppose it will be available on steam sometime?

Last edited by frnk55 : 04-11-2015 at 12:33 PM.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #24
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Love that it tracks all time records. Cool stuff.
I don't suppose it will be available on steam sometime?

I highly doubt it anytime in the near term...likely not the type of game that translates well to steam, but who knows in the future.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #25
APC
Mascot

Dug into the game tonight and had a blast playing my first round. But when I advance to round 2 of the season's opening tourney, I only make it through 2 or 3 holes and the game stops responding.

Emailed Dave, so hopefully he can figure out what's up.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:48 AM   #26
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dug into the game tonight and had a blast playing my first round. But when I advance to round 2 of the season's opening tourney, I only make it through 2 or 3 holes and the game stops responding.

Emailed Dave, so hopefully he can figure out what's up.

That's interesting and too bad your seeing issues...is this with the newly released 2015 version? What is your system specs (I.e. Operating system, memory, etc)? I haven't seen this type of issue posted before so hopefully something easily correctable.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #27
APC
Mascot

Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 GB of RAM, IntelCore i32350m.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #28
APC
Mascot

Might've been my C: drive filling up. I moved everything to my D: drive and have played two rounds without an issue.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #29
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

How does a full season work if the game only comes with 10 courses?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
How does a full season work if the game only comes with 10 courses?

You would play tournaments using only the courses you own...if the schedule uses a course you don't own, you must change it to a course you do own. There are a total of 43 courses available (if you purchase them all) so just about enough not to have repeats.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #31
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Do you know if this works with Crossover on a Mac?
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #32
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Do you know if this works with Crossover on a Mac?

Have not seen that mentioned....have seen parallels referenced. The company allows returns for first 30 days, so you could always buy and try, then return if doesn't work. Or email them at [email protected] to see if they can provide a direct answer.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #33
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Have not seen that mentioned....have seen parallels referenced. The company allows returns for first 30 days, so you could always buy and try, then return if doesn't work. Or email them at [email protected] to see if they can provide a direct answer.

Thanks!
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #34
Bobble
College Prospect

Is anyone else a little unsatisfied with the way putting works? Shouldn't I be choosing direction and swing effort on putts just like I do for every other swing?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #35
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Is anyone else a little unsatisfied with the way putting works? Shouldn't I be choosing direction and swing effort on putts just like I do for every other swing?

Some people have mentioned this in the past, but from my own personal standpoint I am fine with the current implementation based on this type of game. If you were to have complete control over putting swing/direction, etc., the game would have to somehow provide the player with the ability to precisely read the green and would think the green itself would have to be mapped in much greater detail to include all the precise changes that come with the greens. With the goal of this type of golf game being more about strategy in my opinion (versus what the other more graphical/arcade games want to deliver), I think the options they provide makes sense. You still have to assess the situation (i.e. distance, lie, uphill/downhill, breaks, etc.) and choose the appropriate putt type to have the best chance of success. Even the competitor golf strategy product pretty much uses a similar system (no option to swing/aim) on the putting green.