Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #5251
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Wow. I couldn't stand that movie. Probably the worst movie that I saw last year. I didn't know people liked it, haha!

I thought it was all right. I saw it on an ariplane, so my standards were a bit lowered, but I enjoyed it well enough.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #5252
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Grave of the Fireflies: 8/10 - The most saddening, depressing, hard to watch film I have ever seen, and its animated. I will never watch it again if I don't have to, but I'm glad I did once.

Yeah it's probably a 10/10 for me based on emotional impact. Saw it probably 10 years ago, can't see myself watching it ever again. My GF made it only 15 mins in before she had to turn it off.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #5253
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Side Effects: 7/10 - I don't think the trailer does this movie justice. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Rooney Mara was great.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #5254
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I thought it was all right. I saw it on an ariplane, so my standards were a bit lowered, but I enjoyed it well enough.

And I do have to admit, I give movies a lot of slack usually. Something tells me the script was probably pretty decent, it's just (to me) the execution that fell flat.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #5255
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I really enjoyed OZ The Great and Powerful today. Seems like its been all or nothing with critics they either give it a great score or a horrible one very polarized, I imagine due to comparing to the original. I really liked it. The visuals were just beautiful and made great use of 3D. It's not necessarily deep or meaningful but I'd give it a solid 8/10 on fun factor alone!
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #5256
korme
Go Reds

Side Effects - Didn't know much about this going in, other than that it was Soderbergh's last major motion picture. I thought the first half of the movie kind of dragged, didn't really know where the story was going... then BOOM, the whole movie turns around and the second half was incredibly satisfying. Liked it a bunch. 7/10

Worth noting that an old man fell asleep during the movie, and whenever he woke up he made a loud noise that scared the hell out of most of the people in the theater.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #5257
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Panic Room (aka 90 minutes of Jodie Foster's surprisingly ample cleavage)

5-ish/10 skipped watching it a million times but it was on bravo early this morning so... i'd call it a turd that fincher polished to a mirror shine
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #5258
chinaski
College Prospect

Blancanieves (2012) - IMDb

Black and White, silent film retelling of Snow White. Easily 10/10.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #5259
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Master-?

I'm not sure how to rate it, but it's probably my least favorite PTA film. Maybe I need to see it again. The individual performances were great but the overall story was nowhere as good as I thought it would be. I didn't like Joaquin Phoenix at all, perhaps I would have preferred to see the story told through the eyes of the Master.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #5260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Safety Not Guaranteed 9/10

Really enjoyed this. It's got a very original idea for the story and really good performances from the cast. Aubrey Plaza from Parks & Rec was so good in this. The story really goes in places that you don't expect. Highly recommended if this comes to your area.

Finally caught up to this at redbox and I agree that it was a great movie. Good casting of Mark Duplass, Jake Johnson and Aubrey Plaza. Maybe the ending could/should have been a bit more ambiguous but it's definitely worth checking out and one of the more original things I've seen in a long time. 8.5/10

Last edited by stevew : 03-24-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #5261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Savages-7/10. I love Taylor Kitsch so I'm probably biased. There were some pretty big flaws here, and I really wish Stone was still a young filmmaker who didn't give a fuck. First off, Blake Lively not doing nudity is just dumb. She had at least 3 different sex scenes where she was basically fully clothed. Salma Hayek was pretty solid. I guess I was hoping for some frenetic true crime type movie and they didn't really push the envelope as much as I would have liked. The double ending is pretty iffy as well, I was fine with either ending but showing both is pretty silly.

Last edited by stevew : 03-24-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #5262
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Olympus Has Fallen

5/10

Mrs. A and I had had a rough week, and we were looking for escapism. And this movie gives it to you. Bad guys take over the White House and capture the President. A (semi)disgraced Secret Service agent is trapped inside and is the only one who can stop them. It checks all the action movie boxes.

But, that's all it does. It does not add one thing to the action-blockbuster canon that was not there already. Also, I don't expect a lot from my plots and characters in action movies, but this one really made it hard to suspend disbelief at some of the choices the characters made and their motivations for doing so.

Also, the whole premise of the movie (guy trapped in a building trying to stop evil plot taking place inside that building) made you think of Die Hard. Which did not help this movie. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen: "Movie, I watched Die Hard. I grew up with Die Hard. Die Hard is a favorite movie of mine. Movie, you are no Die Hard."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #5263
rowech
Pro Starter

Wreck-It Ralph (10/10) -- absolutely perfect movie for a kid of the 1980s and a good movie for everyone else. Unbelievable imaginations shown by the minds that made it.

Argo (10/10) -- great movie. I really had never heard of the story until the movie came out. Just amazing that it worked.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #5264
korme
Go Reds

The Place Beyond the Pines - So much here. This is Derek Cianfrance's sophomore follow up to Blue Valentine, a movie that personally moved me and I contend it's a top tier movie from 2010. TPBtP fails a little bit for me, trying to do so much (it's really 3 40-min movies) with not a whole lot of story to work with. There are parts in the movie that I absolutely love (the car chase scene, Brad Cooper's "predicament"), but too often the movie drags and you can see Cianfrance really doesn't know how to end the movie.

It has it's moments and it's not completely off the rails, but at best I'm giving this one a 6/10.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #5265
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Finally watched Brave. Would I be considered a creepy, old man if I really liked it?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #5266
Edward64
Head Coach

Battle Los Angeles.

A fun mindless action movie, take it for what its worth. Modern version of Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #5267
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched a bit over the past couple of weeks.

Safety Not Guaranteed - 10/10
Saw it without know anything about it, and absolutely loved it. Small cast, but everyone was great. Fun plot, fun characters, fun movie. My gf was asleep when I watched it, but I made her watch it the next day - even watching it again myself - and she loved it too.

Savages - 5/10
Just plain OK for me. Some decent action scenes and the like, but I just plain didn't like or care about any of the characters and yeah, the double ending thing was a bit of a miss with me.

Red Eye - 6.5/10
Caught this on TV having never heard of it before. A few years old and some horribly cheesy acting by just about every member of the supporting cast, but despite that it was surprisingly entertaining for a fairly straight-forward and one-dimensional thriller.

Cabin in the Woods -7.5/10
Interesting take on the typical teen slasher flick. My enjoyment was probably diminished a little by some spoilers I'd heard since it had been released, but overall I thought it was a good film, but I feel like, given the premise, there were so many cool places to go with the idea and they didn't quite get there.

Wreck-it-Ralph - 8/10
I wanted to love this film, but after a fantastic first half of the film, I found the Candy Racer land to be the least interesting in the movie. Still, a very enjoyable picture, but just didn't maintain the momentum all the way through for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #5268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Finally watched Brave. Would I be considered a creepy, old man if I really liked it?

I can't see how. I'm a fan of most things Pixar. However, I thought this was one of their weaker outings.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #5269
Easy Mac

Oblivion - 3/10

Unbelievably boring. It was like a cobbling together of every sci-fi movie ever made. It was like a dumb version of Moon cobbled together with Wall-E. I was checking my watch after 35 minutes, but I still had 90 to go. Completely wasted Jamie Lannister. The women are pretty though.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #5270
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I can't see how. I'm a fan of most things Pixar. However, I thought this was one of their weaker outings.

SI

It was a traditional Disney princess movie (albeit quite dark) which Pixar had not done before, so that was cool. Also, I think the production value, esp. the lighting and water, was beyond extraordinary.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #5271
rowech
Pro Starter

Django Unchained (10/10) -- I like Pulp Fiction better but as a "traditional" movie this is probably Tarantino's best.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #5272
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Man With The Iron Fists – 7/10

Yeah, it’s dumb and makes no sense, but that’s kinda the whole point. If you watched bad kung-fu movies as a kid, well, this is what they woulda liked like with big Hollywood budgets. A whole lot of fighting and fun and pretty ladies, and shot beautifully. Russell Crowe must have chuckled to himself after reading the first 3rd of his script, and thought to himself “they are going to pay me for this????”.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #5273
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
The Place Beyond the Pines - So much here. This is Derek Cianfrance's sophomore follow up to Blue Valentine, a movie that personally moved me and I contend it's a top tier movie from 2010. TPBtP fails a little bit for me, trying to do so much (it's really 3 40-min movies) with not a whole lot of story to work with. There are parts in the movie that I absolutely love (the car chase scene, Brad Cooper's "predicament"), but too often the movie drags and you can see Cianfrance really doesn't know how to end the movie.

It has it's moments and it's not completely off the rails, but at best I'm giving this one a 6/10.

If they had stuck with the first 40-45 minutes and just made THAT a movie, I would've given it an 11. It was that good. Sadly, I agree with you that it drags a lot, and the last third is by far the worst. Based on the strength of the first third of the movie, though, I would give it an 8.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #5274
korme
Go Reds

PAIN AND GAIN - Michael Bay, everybody! I find these movies the hardest to rate because I'm not grading them on an 'Oscar-scale'. Look, it's mindless big-budget action. I enjoyed it, it took me on a ride and for 2 hours and 9 minutes I wasn't bored at all. My only qualm is that they really drum up and have fun with some stuff that is actually pretty grotesque and morbid.... this movie could probably also be made as a serious thriller in the right hands (not Bay's). 6/10
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #5275
Suicane75
Coordinator

2 Hours and 9 Minutes? Jesus.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #5276
korme
Go Reds

It was long, but it didn't feel long. Lincoln was obviously a much better story, but that felt long. This didn't feel long.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #5277
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

42 - 7/10: Good, not great movie about Jackie Robinson. There were a ton of cheesy moments (complete with the swelling music) that made me roll my eyes. However, I was happy that they showed how essential Branch Rickey was (I feel he tends to be forgotten in the drama). The leads were excellent and some great acting by the other players, at times surprising (wait, is Wash from Firefly calling Robinson those names ).
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #5278
korme
Go Reds

I haven't seen it yet, but I think the biggest compliment Iron Man 3 can get is that it feels very Shane Black-ian, who happened to also write/direct Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. So that makes me much more excited than I was.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #5279
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I was disappointed with the "twist" in Iron Man 3. It was very smart, very funny... but... bleh.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #5280
rowech
Pro Starter

This is 40 (7/10) -- This is a tough one to rate. I got a lot of laughs out of it but the movie was too long and didn't have much on plot. It felt more like a series of skits. I also appreciated it for the fact it made me feel my marriage might not be all that abnormal at our age if people are making movies of some of these things.

Last edited by rowech : 05-05-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #5281
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Django Unchained (9/10)- Watched it, finally, last night and found it to be Tarantino's tightest film in regards to story. I really appreciated some of the cameos and the throwback scenes to some of his old movies (in particular the recreation of the Reservoir Dogs ear scene between 'Moonlight' and Django as well as the Western version at Candyland of the huge kung-fu brawl from Kill Bill). Really an enjoyable flick and I thought that Waltz was truly awesome.

Edited to add: I normally am not a Dicraprio fan because I feel like he can't shed his persona with a lot of his roles BUT I think he was very, very good here. I enjoyed the bi-polar nature of his character and he played it well.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 05-05-2013 at 12:04 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #5282
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Personally didn't enjoy Iron Man 3. Way too cheesy and there was a whole section in the middle that I felt was just a waste of time. Way too much Tony Stark out of the armour as well.

The twist was funny to an extent but as a comic book fan ... ugh.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #5283
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Personally didn't enjoy Iron Man 3. Way too cheesy and there was a whole section in the middle that I felt was just a waste of time. Way too much Tony Stark out of the armour as well.

The twist was funny to an extent but as a comic book fan ... ugh.

That's encouraging to me as I am decidedly not a comic book fan.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #5284
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I loved Iron Man 3.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #5285
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Nope. Brave was one of the best movies of the year last year. For the record, I really liked Argo, too.

Iron Man 3: 8/10 - Solidly entertaining, funny, blockbuster fun. Better than Iron Man 2. Would have liked more Ben Kingsley, but otherwise a good night out movie. Wife loved it.

And for the record: I don't give a flying f$%# about you comic book fanboys, b$%#^# and whining about how the Mandarin didn't live up to his comic book persona. Holy crap, people. If the comic books are so precious to you, by all means, it's not like they erased them and you can't still read them in your mother's basement.

It's not a faithful rendering of the story. Heck, he isn't even Chinese. He has no rings of power. In fact, the ONLY thing he has in common with the comic book is his name. So get over it.

end rant.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #5286
chadritt
High School Varsity

What if I was just bothered by the fact that
Spoiler
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #5287
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
What if I was just bothered by the fact that
Spoiler

Well, that I can understand.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #5288
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

This is the End: 8/10
Michael Cera is worth the price of admission on his own. This isn't ever going to be on a Best Comedy list, but it's a good, solid film with several laugh out loud moments.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #5289
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This is 40 (7/10) -- This is a tough one to rate. I got a lot of laughs out of it but the movie was too long and didn't have much on plot. It felt more like a series of skits. I also appreciated it for the fact it made me feel my marriage might not be all that abnormal at our age if people are making movies of some of these things.

I find that woman is like nails on the chalkboard to me. Didn't resonate with me at all. My wife enjoyed it though.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #5290
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I find that woman is like nails on the chalkboard to me. Didn't resonate with me at all. My wife enjoyed it though.

I was somewhere in-between. I thought it was a good, funny movie that could have been much better with a good lead actress.

Similar to Funny People (w/ Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen). That could have been a great movie, but Apatow got too wrapped up in building (what should have been a small part of the movie) the entire second half of the movie around his real life wife and kids.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #5291
revrew
Team Chaplain

Now You See Me - 8 out of 10

Fun, intelligent, full of twists, very entertaining. The actors aren't "stretched" at all in this, as they just play the parts these actors always do (Jesse Eisenberg is brilliant but manic, Woody Harrelson is a smartass, Morgan Freeman is a curious voice of quiet wisdom, etc), but the story and the magic elements are a lot of fun, particularly for the casual fan of magic.

The movie is a "see it once" only type, however, as I saw it a second time with my wife, and after seeing how all the tricks are done, the movie just isn't as interesting the second time through.

Man of Steel - 8.5 out of 10

Yes, the secondary characters are underdeveloped, and yes, the action sequence in the 3rd act drags on too long. But Henry Cavill rocks the role, and it's really all about Clark Kent anyway. He makes Christopher Reeve look like a dufus.

Not the entertaining, funny thrill ride that Ironman is, not quite as dark and moody as Batman, but a bit more artistic while still being Heartland and apple pie. Still, it's got layers of complexity to it. The faith metaphors are rampant, and outside of violence, it's the most family-friendly superhero movie to date. My family and I are going to love this movie, probably even own it.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #5292
Suicane75
Coordinator

This Is 40 couldn't have been any worse if a row of convicts took turns sodomizing me the entire, eternal, time it was on.

The men are fake, the women are dumb, the viewer is asleep. But hey, they have Ryan Adams in it to prove how cool they are now, 10 years too late for the people who they think they're aiming this at.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #5293
korme
Go Reds

The movies I've seen in theatre this year, and the order in which I enjoyed them:

Mud
Side Effects
This is the End
The Great Gatsby
The Place Beyond the Pines
Iron Man 3
Star Trek: Into Darkness
The Internship
Pain and Gain
Now You See Me
The Heat
--
Jurassic Park 3D

Last edited by korme : 07-09-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #5294
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Upstream Color - 10/10 - If you saw and liked Primer, this is that guys second film. It is entrancing, and I felt like even if I didn't know the plot I still wanted to watch it.. But the plot wasn't as hard to follow as I thought it might be. It is a little strange, but basically amounts to these people being brought under mind control by a parasite that is being bred for that purpose. This involves implanted memories, etc. Eventually two of these people who have been "bugged" meet each other and over time they discover what is going on. Shane Carruth is quickly becoming my favorite filmmaker.

Berberian Sound Studio - 8/10 - I give this an incomplete grade at the moment because I accidentally dozed off the first time I watched it, but it is a very unique film about this sound guy for movies who is apparently a very good sound guy.. He gets hired by a really strange and eccentric director to do the sound for a torture horror film, and it starts to psychologically affect him. Thats about where I think I passed out, but that's what clonazepam does to a man. It wasn't the movies fault.

Its a Disaster - 8/10 - Similar in some ways to This Is The End, only with different comedic talents at work. David Cross is outstanding, but Julia Stiles had me laughing my ass off and wondering why she doesn't do more comedic roles. Good ensemble cast comedy about a couples brunch gone awry.. Horribly, horribly awry. Oh, and there is also an apocalyptic event involving dirty bombs.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-16-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #5295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Might as well bump this thread.

My wife and I worked our way though all the old Star Treks in the past month after seeing Into Darkness. I found there were basically 4 tiers of movie. I guess if I had to give them numbers, it would be 8/7/6/5 (maybe a 4 for Star Trek V- seriously; never try to search for God). I also put them in order within the tiers

Tier 1 (8): 8 (good and new) – 4 (favorite) – 2 (good and old)
Tier 2 (7): 6 (good sendoff and a return to the old) – 1 (interesting plot but 70s old and slow)
Tier 3 (6): 7 (cool to see Kirk and Picard but otherwise meh) – 3 (could not stand alone; companion to 2)
Tier 4 (5): 9 (mediocre fanservice) - 10 (seemed like a mediocre episode) – 5 (never try to search for God)

This list totally won't end in disagreement and tears...

I really wanted to put 2 higher and downgrade 8. However, 8 really is a solid movie on its own and 2 has some significant flaws to it. Maybe I should flip flop 4 and 2 as 4 is also a lot of fanservice and the plot isn't as good. Either way, those are easily the 3 best movies. And put together with 6, you easily have the top 4 so the even-odd theory seems to work.

Also, I think 1 is hard to rate. It feels like a slow paced 70s scifi horror movie like Alien. It has those real 70s flaws like that it's plodding: it's over a half hour just to get into space which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the movie is earth based but the plot is an outer space plot. However, it's an interesting scifi idea once it gets out of the proverbial driveway.

That's another thing about the average Star Trek movie until 9/10: I had forgotten that there were all sorts of little subplots running throughout the movies to keep developing future characterization. They knew they would be making more movies so they spent some screen time building pieces for the future.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #5296
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks for bumping as I need to catch up:

The Hobbit (4/10): This was discussed in another thread but I think I need to watch it again in a more proper perspective. I expected FotR and got a CGI cartoon instead.

Moneyball (5/10): Pretty boring actually plus it had Jonah Hill; plus no mention of their MVP or Cy Young winner.

Lincoln (9/10): I went in not knowing what they would focus on and was surprised. When I watched it the first time, though, I was bothered by the push to have the 13th Amendment passed because I thought that had happened after Lincoln's assassination. Turned out that I was thinking of its ratification and Stevens/Radical's hard push on the 14th. I watched it again and loved the acting and drama.

Argo (9/10): It's amazing how one can take a story in which you knew the ending and still have it nerve-wracking as if you didn't know the ending.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 07-07-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #5297
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watched Argo last night. Was fantastic.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #5298
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Might as well bump this thread.

My wife and I worked our way though all the old Star Treks in the past month after seeing Into Darkness. I found there were basically 4 tiers of movie. I guess if I had to give them numbers, it would be 8/7/6/5 (maybe a 4 for Star Trek V- seriously; never try to search for God). I also put them in order within the tiers

Tier 1 (8): 8 (good and new) – 4 (favorite) – 2 (good and old)
Tier 2 (7): 6 (good sendoff and a return to the old) – 1 (interesting plot but 70s old and slow)
Tier 3 (6): 7 (cool to see Kirk and Picard but otherwise meh) – 3 (could not stand alone; companion to 2)
Tier 4 (5): 9 (mediocre fanservice) - 10 (seemed like a mediocre episode) – 5 (never try to search for God)

This list totally won't end in disagreement and tears...

I really wanted to put 2 higher and downgrade 8. However, 8 really is a solid movie on its own and 2 has some significant flaws to it. Maybe I should flip flop 4 and 2 as 4 is also a lot of fanservice and the plot isn't as good. Either way, those are easily the 3 best movies. And put together with 6, you easily have the top 4 so the even-odd theory seems to work.

Also, I think 1 is hard to rate. It feels like a slow paced 70s scifi horror movie like Alien. It has those real 70s flaws like that it's plodding: it's over a half hour just to get into space which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the movie is earth based but the plot is an outer space plot. However, it's an interesting scifi idea once it gets out of the proverbial driveway.

That's another thing about the average Star Trek movie until 9/10: I had forgotten that there were all sorts of little subplots running throughout the movies to keep developing future characterization. They knew they would be making more movies so they spent some screen time building pieces for the future.

SI

This post is confusing
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #5299
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Despicable Me 2 - 7/10: Really fun animated movie. Though it suffers because the first one is just so great. This was a funny and interesting movie as well, but probably suffers due to comparison with the original. Thought it dragged slightly in the middle, but brought it back around in the end. And the minions are always (ALWAYS) hilarious.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #5300
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

20 Feet from Stardom - 10/10

Absolutely wonderful documentary about some of Motown's best backup singers, and what became of their careers, interspersed by commentary from Springsteen, Jagger, Stevie Wonder, Sting and Ray Charles, among others. Had a smile on my face right from the beginning. It is one of those movies where the audience gave it a big round of applause when it was over.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote