Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #2751
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Seven Pounds - 8/10

As talked about by previous posters, the critics have this movie all wrong. I don't know if they have something against Will Smith, or what, but this movie was pretty fucking good.

The performance by Will Smith was simply amazing. It's been awhile that I have felt so emotionally invested in a film in awhile. Anything that drawed my attention away from the screen pissed me off because all I wanted to do was watch what Will Smith was going to do.

Even though I knew what he was doing the entire time. This movie is extremely predictable, and from the beginning on you know exactly what is going to happen throughout the entire movie. But who gives a shit. I don't care if I already know whats at point B, all I care about is the getting from A to B, and trust me, the journey was great.

I have seen this film being knocked for being too morbid and too depressing. Are you fucking serious? Since when was that a reason to knock a film, especially for a professional critic. That has nothing to do with how good a film is. It may be extremely morbid, but I knew that going in. If I wanted to watch something positive I would have fucking watched Marley And Me.

A couple of the plot elements were iffy, and implausible, and thats why it got docked the couple points. But the performances and the way this film drew me in were enough to watch it again.

Bravo Will Smith, and even though I forgot to mention it, Bravo Miss Dawson. She was phenomenal as well.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #2752
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
The Day the Earth Stood Still: (8.5/10)

This movie got very terrible reviews, but I still enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Have you ever seen the original (I'm wondering if seeing the original changes the way people feel about the remake)?

/tk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
When taken in the context of the time it was made, the original is an absolutel classic. I was crushed to see Keanu Reeves involved in this one.

Quote:
I never saw the original, but plan to soon.

The movie certainly wasn't spectacular, but I dont think it was bad at all. Keanu Reeves was, well, Keanu Reeves. But to me, with the character he plays, he's tolerable. Jennifer Connelly was very good, but the rest of the acting was very forgettable.

Like I said, my thoughts are slightly skewed since I pretty much enjoy anything sci-fi. There were some awkward moments, but also some very cool scenes.

I also LOVED watching Giants Stadium get destroyed.

The Day The Earth Stood Still 7.5/10

My take on the original is faded in antiquity, aka I hardly remember it but as was said for its time it was a classic. I plan to watch it again soon. Reeves was actually very good for this role. He is normally very wooden and stiff and that fits this part to a T. I was very dissapointed with the ending. I just sorta felt like ...."umm...thats it?" It was good and it was interesting, however it is definitely a ONE time only watch. I won't bother watching it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Narnia: The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. 9/10

Never read the book. But this movie was very good and had a lot of great messages in it. I watched it with 11 people on Christmas Eve, ranging in ages 7-55 and everyone really liked it.

Chronicles of Narnia 7/10

I love pretty much every sci-fi/Fantrasy film and this one fit right along a good but not great line for me. I've actually found I like it more the more often I watch it. Its a Movie that grows into a "Oh thats on, lets watch" kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's a bit different than normal superhero movies in that it really explores the nature of good and evil far more than the normal superhero film. Where in the normal film, there is an obvious good and evil, in TDK, the title character has to do some really shady things and go beyond the border of acceptable to get what he needs. Which is why there is this discussion of the White Knight (Harvey Dent) and the Dark Knight (Batman). And of course, what happens to Harvey and the conversation at the end of the film.

This is a perfect review of the Dark Knight. Its a Comic Book Movie that makes you sit back and really think about the nature of who we are and how we make decisions of right and wrong. Ledger of course is the real reason to see this film, the storyline and special effects just make it that much better.

I give TDK a 9.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Hancock- 4/10

There really isn't much to say as it wasn't good at all. I also watched I am Legend recently which was much better than this trash.

I am Legend- 7/10

As I said, I recently watched this and it was ok. I wish they would have talked more about Nevill's past and focused more on how everything developed. Most of the movie was about Nevill and his dog surviving in New York and the shots of the city were great. I liked the movie but I just wish they had added a little more back story than what they did.

The lack of backstory and total lack of internal dialoug/naration leaves you wondering WTF? through most of this version of the film. I hope the rumours of prequel are true as it should make both movies MUCH more enjoyable to watch back to back.

I am Legend 6.5/10

I agree with you to an extent on hancock, on one side it was made way too campy for the more serious story they try to tell at the end, however I love the way they develop the characters and the twist at the end is pretty awesome. I think if they follow this one up with another, like I am legend, it will make for a saturday night double feature in my DVD player.

Hancock 7/10

Quote:
The Golden Compass - 4/10: Seriously, seriously disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it. Seemed like the studio wanted a 1.5 hour movie and thus they crammed in as much as they good in that time frame, all the while forgetting to explain all sorts of stuff and playing down the religious themes to almost nil (well, the Magisterium look vaguely Catholic, but that's it). And then mangling a lot of the plot as well. I knew they were going to cut out the ending to the book (which is amazingly good) so that the movie ending could be "upbeat", but it was even more horrid to see it done like this.

One of the worse movie adaptations I've ever seen of a book. Pullman really deserved far more.

I have never read this series of books and even so I found this movie dreadfully slow and totally confusing. WTF is a magesterium? What is dust? Why do bears talk? I dunno, it just seemed so very cobbled together, dicordant and generally...well..dull.

Golden Compass 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Charlie Wilson's War [6.5/10]

Hrm. Wasn't exactly sure where to go with the rating. I enjoyed the film, but it seems like one of those "greater than the sum of its parts" deals. Tom Hanks was good - no surprise there - but I am not a Julia Roberts fan and I think she was badly miscast. I'm hovering between a 6 and a 7, so I'll split the difference.

I agree with you almost entirely here, I am definitely not a Roberts fan but I will sit and watch this movie over and over again. The interplay between the CIA guy and Wilson is simply brilliant.

7.5/10 from me
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #2753
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I remember a thread talking movies that you are ashamed you like (or something like that) and I immediately thought of The Mummy, one of my favorite movies. I thought Mummy 2 was worse, ruined by The Rock and the CGI. So I didn't have much expectation for Mummy and the Emperor Dragon or whatever the hell the title was. But surprisingly, I actually liked it better than Indy 4, not by much though. 6.75/10.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #2754
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Bridge to Terabithia - 7/10

From the trailer, I was expecting a Narnia-type movie but it has more to do with the friendship of 2 kids than it has to do with Terabithia.

I was horrified when I saw the trailer because I thought they did Narnia the shit out of it. In fact, I almost didn't go see it because of that. Most misleading trailer in history, one that probably cost them a few ticket sales. Whoever put that one together should be fired.

I thought they did a pretty nice adaptation of the book and I thought Leslie was perfectly cast. Of course, it was toned down some from the book, but not by much.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #2755
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
just watched King of Kong, a documentary about competitive Donkey Kong players.

The movie was absolutely fascinating. I was watching while my wife was doing some baking, figuring she wouldn't be interested. She came in and got sucked in as well. There are apparently some criticism about the way the filmmakers manipulated the story somewhat, but I don't really care about that. I just found everyone involved to be completely fascinating. Every single person protrayed was ridiculously absurd, and just when you think it can't get any more bizarre, in walks Mr Awesome. As a documentary, I'm not sure how I'd rate it, but in terms of entertainment, I'd give it an 8.

I watched this yesterday and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone. Some of the characters are fantastic unintentional comedy and others are simply likable. Even if they did manipulate the story a bit, its just a good film to see.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 AM   #2756
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Most misleading trailer in history, one that probably cost them a few ticket sales.

I thought the Bruce Almighty trailer was pretty misleading. Advertised it as typical Jim Carrey camp, and while he had his moments, it was a much more thoughtful movie than I expected from the trailer.

Although from what I've seen, they DID camp the hell out of Evan Almighty, so maybe something happened with ticket sale trends on the first movie that told them camp was the way to go.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #2757
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i vote truman show as most misleading trailer ever. it was carreys first serious film, but the trailer was still zany comedy.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #2758
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i vote truman show as most misleading trailer ever. it was carreys first serious film, but the trailer was still zany comedy.

Seems par for the course with his movies. There's an expectation that Carrey = zany comedy, so they'll cherry pick for the trailer to get people in to see Zany Carrey.

Only one I can think of where I haven't seen that happen was Eternal Sunshine.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #2759
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Seems par for the course with his movies. There's an expectation that Carrey = zany comedy, so they'll cherry pick for the trailer to get people in to see Zany Carrey.

Only one I can think of where I haven't seen that happen was Eternal Sunshine.

While I never saw it, wasn't he in a horror movie based on 23 or something like that?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #2760
boberot
High School Varsity

Seven Pounds [6.5 out of 10]

I didn't love this movie. Like most have said, I figured it out in the first 15 minutes and then the predictability and the inevitability dampened my enjoyment. Yeah, I get it -- he's going to do this for this person and that for that person. His motivations were simple and heavy-handed as well.

Perhaps for those reasons, I thought the movie dragged a bit at times. I don't need belly laughs or car chases to enjoy a movie. I like subtle nuance as much as the next guy, but I didn't really feel this movie was subtle or nuanced.

Still, an above average movie that is enhanced by a really good performance by Will Smith.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #2761
Calis
College Starter

Got a chance to see The Wrestler last night and I'd say it rates about a 9.5. Really excellent movie. The talk about Mickey Rourke putting in a performance for the ages is not hyperbole. He was perfect in the role. I'm hard pressed to think of an instance where an actor better portrayed a character than this and I'm coming up empty. I don't know much about Rourke's life, but it sounds like this role hit pretty close to home and it shows. I can't hype up his performance enough.

The movie itself was a change of pace from Aronofsky's other works. It's very straightforward. There were a few points where it was a bit heavy-handed, but overall it was the best I've seen this year. Probably helped that I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid, and was also intrigued by the life and behind the scenes aspect.

Tonight I watched Slumdog Millionaire and that would also deserve around a 8.5. It's a great underdog story and you really find yourself pulling for the guy. Some beautiful shots also. It might be a better film than The Wrestler, I haven't decided yet, but Rourke's performance gives The Wrestle the edge.

Highly recommend both movies.

Last edited by Calis : 01-05-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #2762
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I have seen this film being knocked for being too morbid and too depressing. Are you fucking serious? Since when was that a reason to knock a film, especially for a professional critic. That has nothing to do with how good a film is. It may be extremely morbid, but I knew that going in. If I wanted to watch something positive I would have fucking watched Marley And Me.
lol
Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #2763
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
lol

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but I saw that, too...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #2764
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
While I never saw it, wasn't he in a horror movie based on 23 or something like that?

It was an absolutely terrible movie.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #2765
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mad Money - 3/10: A decent movie (like 5 or 6 out of 10) through 2/3rds of it, but the ending was super-happy BS. Meh, just meh.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #2766
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, I think so, but I think the only reason THAT one didn't get the comedy play is because as soon as ONE parent takes an 8 year old to see a slasher flick promo'ed with comedy trailers, lawsuitilarity would ensue.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #2767
Lorena
Unregistered

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 8.5/10

Like Augustus, I wasn't sure how to feel about the movie at first... I should have appreciated it more. Great acting by everyone, even the actors that had bit parts (like the lightning guy). Benjamin's mom had me lol'ing too. Good costumes, sets, makeup, score, just a nice sweet enjoyable movie, will definitely watch again.

Last edited by Lorena : 01-03-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #2768
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Revolutionary Road- 8/10

Superb acting by DiCaprio, Winslet was good, too, but I think this is Leo's show. The movie tells the tale of a 50's couple that has trapped themselves in a suburb they want no part of. Things start off poorly for them, and don't get any better, except for a slight high from an escape fantasy.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #2769
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull [5/10]

Formulaic humdrum. It had a few moments, but not enough to salvage it.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #2770
SFL Cat
College Starter

Tale of Despeaux - 4/10

First animated movie I've ever gone to where I found myself looking at my watch thinking, "holy...isn't this thing over yet?"

Bedtime Stories - 6/10

Not a big Adam Sandler fan, but I enjoyed this one for what it was, a fun holiday popcorn flick.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 01-03-2009 at 11:02 AM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #2771
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Wrestler - 10/10

If you are a die hard wrestling fan, this is a must. I am sure if you're not, it'd still get an 8 or 9 out of 10 because Rourke is just sensational. I honestly think it'd be a robbery if he doesn't win an Oscar for his portrayl of Randy the Ram.

It's sad to think this isn't even as bad as a lot of wrestlers, especially from the Territory day, are today. He nails everything about the dead beat wrestler stereotype and the actual in ring stuff is amazing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #2772
MrDNA
High School Varsity

There Will be Blood - 4/10 So I guess it's largely my fault for not liking this, as I expected it to be more than tangentially connected to the book it was based on (Oil!). Oops. The begining was plodding and the explanation for a lot of what happened was just not there (so maybe it WAS good I read the book...?). The worst part of the movie was the music, however. It was like they had some leftover tracks from Psycho and just decided to toss them in at random non-dramatic spots in the movie. I did like watching Daniel Day Lewis go nuts, though. And he has a nice moustache.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #2773
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The Wrestler - 10/10

If you are a die hard wrestling fan, this is a must. I am sure if you're not, it'd still get an 8 or 9 out of 10 because Rourke is just sensational. I honestly think it'd be a robbery if he doesn't win an Oscar for his portrayl of Randy the Ram.

It's sad to think this isn't even as bad as a lot of wrestlers, especially from the Territory day, are today. He nails everything about the dead beat wrestler stereotype and the actual in ring stuff is amazing.

This one is on my list for sure.. I've heard great things about it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #2774
rowech
Pro Starter

Burn After Reading (6/10) -- I liked parts of it but overall, the movie didn't quite flow very well. Felt like there needed to be another half hour of movie to space things out a little better and build some of the stories a bit more before connecting everything together.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #2775
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The Wrestler - 10/10

I'm not really a wrestling fan and this was an amazing movie. Micky Rourke was perfectly cast and should get some serious oscar attention from this. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #2776
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Slumdog Millionaire - 9.5/10

Very well done movie about a kid from the slums of India who goes onto the Indian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and wins big--and as such, gets accused of cheating. The movie is the story of him growing up as a slumdog, the experiences he went through and how/where he picked up the answers to the questions on "Millionaire."

Lost 0.5 point because I thought the ending was almost...too planned. On the one hand, the final "Millionaire" question was too predictable.
Spoiler

As a side note, I think the violence depicted in the film was necessary, though it was a bit too much for me, especially at the beginning. That is, I think that the violence may well be an accurate portrayal of what it's like in parts of India, but especially the police brutality in the beginning was too much for me to stomach.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #2777
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I might have to go see Slumdog Millionaire as it is one of the rare movies where I haven't heard a SINGLE serious knock against it... and I have a gift certificate to the movies...
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #2778
Pyser
Pro Rookie

bridge to terabithia - 7/10

quick review: 2 kids drop a lethal amount of acid on a rope swing.

good movie..oddly i remember the book from my childhood, which i dont think ive ever done before. seemed like a good adaptation, and didnt suffer from british people staring wide-eyed at everything all the time, like most kids movies do.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #2779
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Slumdog Millionaire (9.5/10)-- Well, as said, enough people are coming out talking about this movie. I went and saw it tonight, and I agree with them. It's a fantasic movie. Very enthralling. As terpkristin said, the last question is obviously a serious stretch, but I didn't mind it, because, in my opinion, it was perfectly in line with the themes the movie was setting up and what sort of tale it was trying to tale.

I'll spoiler this last for terpkristen on her criticism of it:

Spoiler

I would recommend this movie to just about anyone, although be prepared for the ugly side of the movie. It's not for kids.

Off of the top of my head, I think I have only seen one other movie so far this year that is comparable to this one in overall quality, and that was Dark Knight.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-04-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #2780
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wall-E: 9/10 What an amazing movie. It was a simple love story that was so mesmerizing and immersive. I am not a fan of sci-fi but this one worked on a level that you do not care what surroundings they used.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #2781
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Slumdog Millionaire (9.5/10)-- Well, as said, enough people are coming out talking about this movie. I went and saw it tonight, and I agree with them. It's a fantasic movie. Very enthralling. As terpkristin said, the last question is obviously a serious stretch, but I didn't mind it, because, in my opinion, it was perfectly in line with the themes the movie was setting up and what sort of tale it was trying to tale.

I'll spoiler this last for terpkristen on her criticism of it:

Spoiler

I would recommend this movie to just about anyone, although be prepared for the ugly side of the movie. It's not for kids.

Off of the top of my head, I think I have only seen one other movie so far this year that is comparable to this one in overall quality, and that was Dark Knight.

Amazing movie - went to see it twice. The acting was brilliant. The violence - meh, its happened before, but if I have to tell another white person (I'm Indian) that the movies aren't a guide to reality, I think I'm going to scream.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #2782
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Its campy and ridiculous, but the cinematography is brilliant, and I defy you not full in love with the little kid.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #2783
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Wrestler - 10/10

QFT.

10/10 indeed.

"I'm an old, broken-down piece of meat, and I deserve to be all alone, I just don't want you to hate me."
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #2784
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this film. It was beautifully shot and the cast was especially strong given that their roles were, quite literally, changing throughout the movie.

I took the film to be a meditation on the search for love and meaning in life. I've always enjoyed Fitzgerald's short stories and so I think it's worth noting that several key elements were changed for this film adaptation. In doing so, I think those behind the film altered the story's message considerably.

Thinking back to the short story now, I think both the story and the film work in different ways and speak to different aspects of the human experience.

I would not be surprised to see "Benjamin Button" nominated for Best Picture.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #2785
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm not really a wrestling fan and this was an amazing movie. Micky Rourke was perfectly cast and should get some serious oscar attention from this. I'd recommend it to anyone.

It is encouraging to hear that norms may enjoy this movie as well as fans of the "sport".
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #2786
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 9/10

Really liked this one. Very sweet and sad story that has stuck with me since I walked out of the cinema last night. There was certainly a Big Fish element to it, as Augustus says. Didn't seem as long as it was, and I'll be buying this one when it comes out on DVD.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #2787
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Wrestler: 10/10

Just wow. That's all I can really say.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #2788
RainMaker
General Manager

The Dark Knight (8 out of 10) - Maybe it was just too overhyped but I expected more. Ledger is brilliant in his role and needed more screen time. The story is alright and seemed to get rushed at the end. The one thing I couldn't stand was the voice of Batman. Sounded like a 70 year old with lung cancer.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #2789
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Dark Knight (8 out of 10) - Maybe it was just too overhyped but I expected more. Ledger is brilliant in his role and needed more screen time. The story is alright and seemed to get rushed at the end. The one thing I couldn't stand was the voice of Batman. Sounded like a 70 year old with lung cancer.

That was indeed the only thing I found distracting about that moie. I truly hope they drop the gravelly voice routine in future editions.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #2790
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Batman Begins: 3/10. I like action/adventure movies but this one had nothing there. Maybe someone who has an interest in superhero comics, or even a remote interest in them, would feel something. The character of Bruce/Batman was so wooden that you don't care or feel anything. No chemistry at all between Bruce and Rachel. Even the bad guys didn't feel like bad guys, someone you want to see dead. Very little in the way of a story arc, starting right off with karate man somewhere and most scenes just jumping right into something. But the worst thing was the stilted dialog. It was as if everyone was reading directly from the comic book pages.

I'll watch Dark Knight, at least I have an expectation of a real bad guy.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #2791
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Batman Begins: 3/10. I like action/adventure movies but this one had nothing there. Maybe someone who has an interest in superhero comics, or even a remote interest in them, would feel something. The character of Bruce/Batman was so wooden that you don't care or feel anything. No chemistry at all between Bruce and Rachel. Even the bad guys didn't feel like bad guys, someone you want to see dead. Very little in the way of a story arc, starting right off with karate man somewhere and most scenes just jumping right into something. But the worst thing was the stilted dialog. It was as if everyone was reading directly from the comic book pages.

I'll watch Dark Knight, at least I have an expectation of a real bad guy.

I didn't get the hype of Batman Begins after seeing it either. I was like "....This movie kinda sucks. Why is everyone saying it's so great?"

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #2792
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I didn't get the hype of Batman Begins after seeing it either. I was like "....This movie kinda sucks. Why is everyone saying it's so great?"

Same here. Though I didn't think it was a 3/10 bad. Maybe more like 5/10. Though I thought The Dark Knight was fantastic. Makes up for Batman Begins.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #2793
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Same here. Though I didn't think it was a 3/10 bad. Maybe more like 5/10. Though I thought The Dark Knight was fantastic. Makes up for Batman Begins.

Maybe there was a little bias built into that score, after seeing some say that Begin was better than Dark Knight.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #2794
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
That was indeed the only thing I found distracting about that moie. I truly hope they drop the gravelly voice routine in future editions.

I watched Dark Knight again last week, and there was one scene that made me laugh. Batman is with Lucious (Morgan Freeman's character, who knows Bruce = Batman), and Batman still uses the funny voice. Must be some kind of voice modifier in the mask, otherwise why would Batman need to hide his voice there lol.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #2795
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was reading up on this movie at imdb and I think that for many people, this was the Batman movie everyone was waiting for - after the jokey ones that preceeded it. I can understand that.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #2796
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I watched Dark Knight again last week, and there was one scene that made me laugh. Batman is with Lucious (Morgan Freeman's character, who knows Bruce = Batman), and Batman still uses the funny voice. Must be some kind of voice modifier in the mask, otherwise why would Batman need to hide his voice there lol.

I don't think it's that he "hides" his voice when he's Batman. I think it's almost the opposite, actually.

Bruce Wayne is Batman's alter ego. It's the socially acceptable face he presents to the world when he has to, and Bruce Wayne's "voice" is, well...kind of an airhead. Ditzy, bubbleheaded, devil-may-care...and that's not who he really is. He uses that voice to fit that persona.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #2797
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Pineapple Express: 8.5/10 - Loved it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #2798
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I don't think it's that he "hides" his voice when he's Batman. I think it's almost the opposite, actually.

Bruce Wayne is Batman's alter ego. It's the socially acceptable face he presents to the world when he has to, and Bruce Wayne's "voice" is, well...kind of an airhead. Ditzy, bubbleheaded, devil-may-care...and that's not who he really is. He uses that voice to fit that persona.

So apparently he created batman just to use his natural voice?

Must have been difficult to live all those years of his life hiding his actual voice.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #2799
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Boring day here, so me and the girl are going to see Yes Man. Not really expecting much, but it should be good for a few laughs.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #2800
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Boring day here, so me and the girl are going to see Yes Man. Not really expecting much, but it should be good for a few laughs.

This post is out of line.

The thread is not called "Next Movie I'm Going to Watch."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote