Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Thinking about purchasing a Wii

I am thinking about going and buying a the standard version of the Wii today and am curious what others think are must haves? Its primary users would be my wife and I and we would like to utilize the interactive features it provides as much as possible. We would also use it a few times a month with a group of people.

Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

You can do all that with sex too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
You can do all that with sex too.

Yea, but I am not interested in sharing.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh ok, carry on then.

I would guess Wii Fit is a must-have then.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Yes, go out and get one this instant.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Extra Wiimote and Nunchuk so you can each play (and an additional 2 of each if you want 4 folks at a party to all play).

If you have a wired network, you want a LAN adaptor.

If you have an HDTV, a set of component cables.

And check out the Wii Games thread for plenty of advice on what games to get.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

Where can you just go out and "buy one today" ? Are these now easier to find in stores. I have never seen one for sale!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Do or do not. There is no think.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If you want to play any old NES games from the Virtual Console, you don't need an extra controller--you just put the wiimote on its side.

If, however, you want to get any games from the Super Nintendo and beyond, then you need either the classic controller accessory or a gamecube controller.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd recommend going with 4 Wiimotes and 2 nunchucks. Most party games I've played can be played with just the wiimote. I'd definitely get Boom Blox, there are several fun game modes for 2 to 4 players. For Boom Blox you can play with just the Wiimote, but it is also easier to navigate the view with a nunchuck. Smarty Pants is a great game for 4 player trivia. Mario Kart is another great multiplayer game, and it's solo is much better than the other two, though you might want to have another nunchuck or two for muliplayer depending on how much you and others like the Wii Wheel.

If you're only getting one game to start off, I'd say Boom Blox is the best party game I've played.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

I've seen Wiis for sale several times over the past month, after having never seen one available in a store. I've seen them at Best Buy three times, Target once, and K-Mart once. The first time I saw one, at Best Buy, I carried it around with me and called everyone I could think of, to see if they wanted one.

Other than the fact that I have never played Smarty Pants, I pretty much agree with all of mckerney's advice. Four Wiimotes and two nunchaks is what we have been running with and we haven't had any problems. And Boom Blox is amazing. Anytime we have had people over and they have played it, they immediately bought it or started looking for a Wii to buy.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Yes, get one. I've loved mine since getting it in May. My son and I play Mario Kart quite a bit and my wife and I love the Wii Sports still. I've played a lot of Mario Kart online as well, which is fun, till my Wii stopped connecting (my wireles router is upstairs, Wii is downstairs...wonder if that's it)

You'll enjoy it, so I'd definitely say get one.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

Yes.

Wii Fit.

Mario Kart

For the extra controller by the WIi game. Whats it called? Anyway it comes with a controller and a game for only $10 more then just a controller. Its a sports game. Is it Wii Play?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would do an honest evaluation of which type of games you want to play before rushing out and getting one. Many of the games for the system are great. But there are quite a few top titles each year that will not come out on the wii. If you play sports games or any kind of action shooters the wii options are very limitted
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You should, they are great fun
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

My friends and I play Rock Band and Wii Sports. Great fun. The Wii Rock Band is not able to download songs, but comes with a few extra on the game disk. There is also a expansion disk already out. Rock Band with an extra guitar and the expansion disk will set you back a couple hundred dollars though (on top of the Wii price).
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for all the great advice! We got Mario Kart, Boom Blox, the 4 remotes and 2 nunchucks as suggested.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Oddly, I saw an ad yesterday for new Comcast subscribers (who get cable + internet + phone) to receive a free Wii until August 17th. I'm not sure how they are going to be able to pull that off, given the scarcity of the console, but with the University getting ready to kick back into full gear, I imagine that deal will be very successful.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Oddly, I saw an ad yesterday for new Comcast subscribers (who get cable + internet + phone) to receive a free Wii until August 17th. I'm not sure how they are going to be able to pull that off, given the scarcity of the console, but with the University getting ready to kick back into full gear, I imagine that deal will be very successful.

Nintendo is pumping a ton of units into the U.S. right now. In lesser retailers like Sears or K-Mart, Wiis will sit for several hours on the shelves. Also, anyone who checks with a place like Best Buy or Gamestop on a daily basis to find out which day the Wiis are arriving can get a Wii pretty easily by just showing up when it opens.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey, lay off the SHLD!!!!

Lesser retailers my ass!

We got 9 Wii for a panasonic TV/Free Wii promo a few weeks ago and still have at least one left. We don't normally sell consoles, but I will admit that the amount of Wiitards calling trying to get one has pretty much gone extinct.
Wiitards have been replaced by converter box tards.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hey, lay off the SHLD!!!!

Lesser retailers my ass!

We got 9 Wii for a panasonic TV/Free Wii promo a few weeks ago and still have at least one left. We don't normally sell consoles, but I will admit that the amount of Wiitards calling trying to get one has pretty much gone extinct.
Wiitards have been replaced by converter box tards.

Perhaps 'lesser' was a poor choice of words. I meant to say "retailers that I never visit".
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
In lesser retailers like Sears or K-Mart, Wiis will sit for several hours on the shelves.

(sorry)
(sort of)
(can't resist)

As opposed to the weeks the PSP's and PS3's sit on the shelves at these lesser retailers?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-12-2008 at 03:09 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Perhaps 'lesser' was a poor choice of words. I meant to say "retailers that I never visit".
You're not the only one.

Check out same store sales sometime from year to year if you want a good laugh.