Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Weird job-hunt stuff.

Graduated last month, worked up a résumé, got it posted, all that jazz.

Got a hit on it a few days later from a company down in Madison, who said they'd seen it and encouraged me to apply more formally, résumé and cover letter, all that jazz.

So, sure, what the hell.

They reply to me today with an email saying that they require cumulative collegiate GPA from their applicants and could I please provide that?

Which I had, at least for the most current coursework (which was all upper-division stuff). It...kinda sounded like they wanted my GPA counting stuff I took from 1999-2006 also. That struck me as odd.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Not that I agree with it, but it is not odd. I graduated in 1998 and had companies asking me for it as well. I get that. You want to make sure that I graduated, but with over 15 yrs of work experience, I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well, I mean, my résumé included my year of graduation/Bachelor of Arts degree, my Latin honors, and my GPA from the courses completed at UWGB.

If all they're checking is my graduation status, it seems like that would have been enough? Why the reference back to stuff from 10-15 years ago?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
StLee
High School Varsity

It could just be a policy for a little extra "proof" of your collegiate career. They are just asking for transcripts, right?

Different field, I'm sure, but I have a master's degree and still have to send my bachelor's degree transcripts and copy of my B.A. to every job I apply for despite having an advanced degree. One job interview quizzed me on my freshman C's in biology despite the fact that I was applying for a job that needed a master's in English. That was among the stranger questions I ever had on a job interview.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

They didn't ask for transcripts, though. They asked for my GPA.

If transcripts is what they mean, I can send those, but that isn't what they said.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
chadritt
High School Varsity

As someone who works in a field where nobody cares that I graduated high school let alone college....theyre asking for your college transcripts after fifteen years in the work force???? Seriously? Is that normal in most fields?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sometimes pay grades (or bands within pay grades) have guidelines or restrictions based on the level of educational attainment. In these cases physical proof is required to allow offers at a certain level.

But frankly, as a former hiring manager, it's BS to me. I'd like the standard background check to confirm if you're being truthful about getting a Diploma, GED, BA, etc... but not because the educational attainment matters, rather the truth does.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
chadritt
High School Varsity

ah, that I get. I list what college I graduated from just because its fairly well known in my industry so I feel it helps me but I dont even know what my GPA was. One person whos now a friend did get hired on a show we worked on together partially because we graduated from the same college, though 6 or 7 years apart, and they knew it would lead to me giving her some extra benefit of the doubt while I was training her.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote