Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Places to visit for your bucket list

What's on your bucket list?

I like visiting different places, seeing old things, experiencing different cultures, and trying local foods.

In no particular order (and US passport notwithstanding) some top bucket list trips include

1) Galapagos - yeah, let me catch some sea life to eat!

2) Pyramids

3) Jerusalem & West Bank (prob not Gaza strip though). I like history and this place has it in spades

4) Iraq. Babylon, Uruk etc. same as Jerusalem, love the history

5) Florence. Birthplace of the Renaissance

6) Amazon river. I remember seeing a Jacques Cousteau special where he had a river boat on the Amazon. Love to do that (and catch some piranhas to eat!)

7) Myanmar, Laos, northern Thailand, Vietnam's Halong Bay

8) Been to China (Beijing, Hong Kong) but want to visit a bunch of other places there like Macau, Wulingyuan, 3 Gorges dam, Xi'an, Tibet etc.). Have to learn some Mandarin first though

9) Bali

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Two things. I want to crisscross the country. Up both coasts, cross from the south then back through the north. Just spend a day or two in different areas along the way. Visit cultural sites, old churches and eating whatever the main cuisine is.
Then, I basically want to do Europe the same way. Probably by train. Just spend a few months just exploring and taking the experience in.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

All that's left for me at this point is probably Dodger Stadium.

If they perfect transporter beam tech then add Normandy
(I can't fathom me ever enduring transatlantic flight, I begrudge trips to my nearest Walmart which is about 5 minutes away)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Antarctica, Argentina, Australia.

With those three, I'll have finally hit my longest-standing bucket list item of having visited all seven continents.

Beyond that? Maybe a Romance of the Three Kingdoms-based itinerary in China or horseback riding like Genghis Khan in Mongolia.

Oh and Portugal. Didn't get there when I was in Spain (opted for my first time to Turkey instead).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Going to the actual Rose Bowl for the game. Would be monumentally easier if Clemson made it there at some point.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

Oh and Portugal. Didn't get there when I was in Spain (opted for my first time to Turkey instead).

We are looking at Portugal as an early retirement destination in a couple of years, along with Mexico.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm hoping space flight tourism somehow becomes feasible in my lifetime.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-07-2021 at 08:59 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Going to the actual Rose Bowl for the game. Would be monumentally easier if Clemson made it there at some point.

I’ve done this
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

Rose Bowl really is a crappy stadium, but is so iconic that just the experience of being there makes up for all of that.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
bhlloy
Coordinator

Assuming I make it to travel again...

Australia/New Zealand
Italy/Greece
Tokyo

We had a trip booked for the Galapagos and Macchu Piccu in 2020, that's not happening in 2021 either but hoping that will be our next trip in 2022.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
tarcone
Coordinator

Ireland
Normandy beach
Jerusalem
And as many National Parks as I can

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Forgot about Japan.

Not Tokyo but Kyoto which is more "old" Japan from what I've read.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
BillyNYC
High School JV

Antarctica (last continent left...)
Morocco
Greenland
Hokkaido
Namibia
Oman
Beijing/Shanghai

Part of me moving to Berlin last year was to hopefully be able to travel more and do various weekend trips to see some places. Obviously that hasn't been possible. Still, hoping to get in long weekend trips to Malta and Lisbon later this year.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What's on your bucket list?

I like visiting different places, seeing old things, experiencing different cultures, and trying local foods.

In no particular order (and US passport notwithstanding) some top bucket list trips include

1) Galapagos - yeah, let me catch some sea life to eat!

2) Pyramids

3) Jerusalem & West Bank (prob not Gaza strip though). I like history and this place has it in spades

4) Iraq. Babylon, Uruk etc. same as Jerusalem, love the history

5) Florence. Birthplace of the Renaissance

6) Amazon river. I remember seeing a Jacques Cousteau special where he had a river boat on the Amazon. Love to do that (and catch some piranhas to eat!)

7) Myanmar, Laos, northern Thailand, Vietnam's Halong Bay

8) Been to China (Beijing, Hong Kong) but want to visit a bunch of other places there like Macau, Wulingyuan, 3 Gorges dam, Xi'an, Tibet etc.). Have to learn some Mandarin first though

9) Bali

Galapagos is worth it. Just an incredible experience.

Pyramids are at the top of my list too. I should add that you might like Chichen Itza if you're ever in Mexico. Not a terribly far drive from Cancun.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #15
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Is it weird I don't have one? Like, there's so much out there that wherever I end up is probably going to be pretty cool and then I'll slowly forget 90% of it.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #16
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have to say I thought Chichen Itza was a bit of a disappointment... definitely an incredible thing to see but very touristy and busy and the tours/information available were mediocre at best.

With that being said, Cancun is relatively cheap, incredible weather and beaches if you go at the right time of year and the resorts up the coast are amazing, so still well worth a visit overall.

Last edited by bhlloy : 06-09-2021 at 04:25 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

The only country on my bucket list is Australia. I have done the other continents beside Antarctica but I have no interest in going there. I will travel to other countries I have never been to but Australia is the only one I really want to experience.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Israel, Egypt, Greece, England/Ireland, St. Petersburg and Moscow. And I guess our Denmark/Estonia trip that got wiped out last year. (my girlfriend's great-grandparents were from Denmark, and mine were from Estonia, so hey, that's a trip, why not - not really bucket list originally, but it was COVID'd so we want to do it when we can) And I want to go back to Japan and climb Mt. Fuji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
With that being said, Cancun is relatively cheap, incredible weather and beaches if you go at the right time of year and the resorts up the coast are amazing, so still well worth a visit overall.

I've never wanted to have a beach/resort vacation, but I went with some friends to Isla Mujeres off the coast of Cancun, and then went back again 4 more times over the years. So relaxing. At night we'd wade out into the Ocean with flotation devices filled with beer, and not see another human anywhere. Otherwise you just cruise around the island on a rented golf cart and consume lots of seafood and Mexican beer. Not sure if that's all different than regular resort life but it's not what I expected. Much more laid back. I've still never been to Cancun except for the airport and then a shuttle through town to the ferry terminal.

Last edited by molson : 06-09-2021 at 05:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Since I was little, I also always wanted to go someplace that I wasn't really allowed to go, or was dangerous, or was at least perceived that way. Someplace where if I told people where I was going, they'd worry about my safety and wonder what the hell I was thinking. And where I could have an experience relatively fewer Americans have had. I think maybe I've outgrown that now. But I still love to read travel guides and blogs about these kinds of places. Over the years, that included places like Beirut, the Palestinian territories, Iraq, North Korea, Damascus.

The closest I ever got to that was probably Istanbul while they were engaging in a new military offensive against the Kurds, and about 3 years after they had a series of ISIS terrorist attacks targeting tourists. From what I can tell that was a pretty good time to go, not many crowds and a big security presence everywhere.

Last edited by molson : 06-09-2021 at 05:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Since I was little, I also always wanted to go someplace that I wasn't really allowed to go, or was dangerous, or was at least perceived that way.

I can't relate this story nearly as well as I'd like but this reminds me of what one of Will's HS classmates has spent the past couple years (give or take) doing.

Basically he covered a large chunk of the globe -- hoboing, odd jobbing, etc -- and went through absolutely nutty parts of the world. Deserts, jungles, mountains, you name it ... rarely going through any official checkpoint or passport process, frequently entering & exiting via what might be termed "bandit territory".

More than once he social media'ed what might well have been his final message, only to come out of it on the other side relatively unscathed.

I forget which African nation was the one where he decided "okay, my luck has been pushed far enough, time to come home" but having spent time in Asia, Central American, and the Middle East, Africa was where he decided things were too dicey to continue.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #21
BillyNYC
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Since I was little, I also always wanted to go someplace that I wasn't really allowed to go, or was dangerous, or was at least perceived that way.

When I was in Kosovo for a few days in 2018, just about everyone freaked out. But the war was like 20 years ago. I felt quite safe, stuff was cheap, and they love Americans (due to US support during the war). Pristina even has a large statue of Bill Clinton.

After doing a lot of research to be comfortable I wasn't going to a literal war zone, went to the divided town of Mitrovica. The south side of the river is Kosovar Albanian. The north side is Serb. The bridge is patrolled by Italian peacekeepers from NATO. And it was so pleasant. You can freely walk from one side to the other. Women pushed strollers across the bridge. People in cafes on both side. It truly felt like 2 different countries, with different flags omnipresent on both sides and memorials to one side's heroes/another's villains.

It definitely was NOT unsafe, but I couldn't convince anyone of this. I suppose that's the best of both worlds?
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #22
briona112
n00b

Have you ever met anyone who didn't have a bucket list? You know, that record you keep of all the places you have to see before you die? Or maybe it's a list of the spots you need to visit in the next few years. Whatever your time span, heading on a bucket list trip is even more thrilling than taking a normal vacation. At the end of your holiday, you can cross that location off your "must-sees" and add a new one to the mix.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #23
siona
n00b

I wish to visit three countries:

Nepal
Canada
Dubai
siona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #24
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
When I was in Kosovo for a few days in 2018, just about everyone freaked out. But the war was like 20 years ago. I felt quite safe, stuff was cheap, and they love Americans (due to US support during the war). Pristina even has a large statue of Bill Clinton.

After doing a lot of research to be comfortable I wasn't going to a literal war zone, went to the divided town of Mitrovica. The south side of the river is Kosovar Albanian. The north side is Serb. The bridge is patrolled by Italian peacekeepers from NATO. And it was so pleasant. You can freely walk from one side to the other. Women pushed strollers across the bridge. People in cafes on both side. It truly felt like 2 different countries, with different flags omnipresent on both sides and memorials to one side's heroes/another's villains.

It definitely was NOT unsafe, but I couldn't convince anyone of this. I suppose that's the best of both worlds?

I will seconded you on Kosovo being a safe place for Americans to visit.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

Would love to do this (well, maybe in a years time). Don't think I can quite afford $66k-122k but $20k each is probably doable.

Quote:
It would've been unthinkable 12 months ago as the cruise industry reeled from the effects of Covid, but one operator is now offering an epic new voyage that will last nine months and take travelers to more than 150 destinations.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's Serenade of the Seas is set to commence sailing in December 2023 from Miami, sailing for 274 nights before returning to Florida in September 2024.

In a statement, Royal Caribbean International president Michael Bayley said the trip -- dubbed "The Ultimate World Cruise" -- is designed to help travel-starved cruisers "make up for lost time."

Serenade of the Seas has been a stalwart of the RCCL fleet since 2003. The 965 feet long ship has 13 decks and can accommodate up to 2,476 guests, according to Royal Caribbean's website.

Upon leaving Miami on the world cruise in late 2023, the vessel is set to travel around the Caribbean, before scheduled stop offs in Central and South America, including trips to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro and Argentina's Iguazu Falls.

Also on the globe-spanning itinerary are landmarks including the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal and the Pyramids of Giza.

Travelers can book the full nine-month experience, or schedule a specific chunk of the trip and just join for the Americas and Antarctica, for example.
Royal Caribbean told CNN Travel the price range for the full excursion is between $66,000 to $112,000 per person, plus taxes and fees.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I read about this earlier.

I set the Over/ Under on dead passengers at 17.5
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

I honestly could not do that trip, I would go absolutely nuts being confined to a boat that long, regardless of how frequent/long the stops were.