Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #1351
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
First team All-SAA! Congrats Bear!

Breeze, how are Brett and Bailey doing? How have they been navigating the restrictions of the pandemic?

rjolley,

Hey, thanks for asking.

Bailey is going to University of South Carolina studying for a Cardiovascular Technologist degree, and is doing well and having fun. She actually got Covid about a month after arriving on campus, but sickness only lasted about 4 days, the bigger issue for her was fatigue, and that lasted much longer. Beyond that her biggest impacts have been restrictions at school that prevent gatherings, which makes it tough to interact and meet people. However, during rush her freshman year, the school broke the girls up into small groups to limit exposure and Bailey made 2 great friends from that experience. They get along so well they are planning to room together next year. She also got into a sorority and though there has been very little provided in the way of interaction she really likes her big sister. So at the end of the day, she's made some very good friends, which is what I was hoping would happen. Her swim "friends" growing up showed that they were far from loyal to Bailey, and I was really hoping that she'd meet a better group of girls at school.

Brett's had a harder time with the impact of the pandemic. Not sure if you recall, but he was coaching for Gold swimming when the pandemic hit. The initial flight to isolation caused the team to shut down, which caused Brett to be laid off. When the team ramped back up, Brett wasn't invited to return, as they were going to proceed with a skeleton crew. That ended up being a long drawn out story, where the owner didn't want Brett, then they wanted him but the owner wouldn't ask so he had another young coach do it which contradicted what the owner had said previously. This of course confused Brett as he felt the young coach was wanting him to return but hadn't cleared it with the owner, so when he didn't jump at the chance to return the owner sent a long nasty email criticizing him. At this point Brett washed his hands of that job.

From there he floundered for quite a while. Sleeping in really late, moping around, and generally acting bored and maybe a little depressed. He got a bit motivated and starting using my access to CBT Nuggets to work on IT training. In fact, he took the certification test for Network+ and was pretty close to passing with no practical experience. I urged him to look for an entry level IT job to get some experience before trying to take the test again, and he did. Eventually, he started working for a small IT group that does managed services for small clients, but also has a public facing retail shop for repairs. Brett currently works in the repair area, where he's fixing phones, computers, TVs, you name it, and he really enjoys it. He enjoys it so much that he is always working overtime, especially now when they are behind because he was absent for a couple of weeks due to Covid (he had almost no symptoms but the owner didn't want him around until he had two negative tests and that took a while). Over the last 3 weeks, and scheduled for the foreseeable future, Brett is working 6 days a week and logging around 55 hours. Having a more serious job has really helped, Brett now gets himself up for work, takes care of business, and is generally much happier.

Last edited by Breeze : 03-04-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #1352
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Dola...

Any word on the seniors BSC will be losing?

Good question...I'll break down the impact of graduation soon. I'll need some time to compile that data.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #1353
rjolley
College Starter

That's all great news, Breeze. Always great to see the kids start to find their way. I've been enjoying the same watching my daughters as they get closer to their college graduations.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #1354
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola...

Any word on the seniors BSC will be losing?

SAA Conference Scoring Breakdown

Code:
BSC Berry Rhodes Centre Hendrix Milsap Suwanee* Freshman 108 195 226 59 98 15 NA Sopho 213 89 7 59 0 3 5 Juniors 158 37 144 265 74 0 60 Seniors 79 156 54 73 18 4 NA
*Note: Suwanee only sent 2 swimmers to the 2021 championships as the rest of the team elected to forgo the meet to avoid the quarantine requirements upon return to campus. Numbers posted are from the 2020 meet.

- Berry's freshman class is good, but Rhodes was even better in 2021. (I will note that Berry's points are under-represented because of Ross Valdez's exposure to Covid just a few weeks before the meet. Had he been 100% he would have scored significantly higher than he did.)
- Berry's 37 point junior class is actually a bit misleading. Bo Dyer, who scored 39 points at the championship meet this year is actually athletically a Jr., but academically he's a senior and he walked with senior class so his points were added to the senior line in the table above.
- Things are currently pretty tight between the top teams over the last 2 years (Fresh/soph), despite Birmingham Southern's huge lead in the sophomore class

Obviously, Berry needs a huge recruiting class this year for 2 reasons. First, to offset the massive losses they are going to experience from the graduating class. Second to position themselves moving forward to be able to compete with BSC for the conference championship.

Currently, Berry appears to have a good recruiting class set up. I know there are a couple of A finalist level breaststrokers coming in. Along with a nice mid-distance swimmer. There are a couple of others who have indicated they are coming that will be nice additions, but they haven't been confirmed yet. However, as good as that is, there is a buzz around the team that the class could get much much better. I'm not going to get into specifics at this time, we'll wait to see what happens, but the current returning swimmers are all working hard to recruit friends to the school, and if they are successful this team will be in a prime position to challenge BSC for the title if not next year, in 2023. Fingers crossed...

Last edited by Breeze : 03-08-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #1355
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Berry Swim and Dive Teams Secure CSCAA Scholar All-America Award

The Vikings continue their streak, each earning honors every year since the program's inception in 2009. To earn the honor, teams were required to post a GPA of 3.0 or higher for the Fall semester.

More than 450 institutions were named to the CSCAA's Scholar All-America team for their grades in the Fall and in terms of NCAA Division III, Berry is one of 177 women's teams and 134 men's teams to be awarded the honor.

The women's team posted a 3.61 GPA, while the men's team earned a 3.47.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #1356
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update - Bear

Bear just informed us that he will be living in a 6 person townhouse next year, and the group he will be living with are all swimmers:

- Bear
- Ross
- Noah
- Paxton
- Riley
- Hunter

He's super excited about it. He wants to be able to cook some of his own meals and he loves being with his teammates.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #1357
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

Through the years I've mentioned numerous swimmers the kids have gone up against that have accomplished a lot in the sport, and with the Olympic Trials coming up, I expect quite a few to be swimming there, so I could have several more updates to provide. However, this was one that I felt needed to be documented.

Jake Magahey, the distance swimmer from Georgia that dominated the 500/1000/1650 when Bear was growing up, just won the NCAA Championship in the 500 Free as a Freshman.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...in-five-years/

Last edited by Breeze : 03-26-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #1358
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Southern Athletic Association - Swimmer Rankings

Collegeswimming.com has a final ranking of the SAA swimmers for the 2020-21 season.

Code:
Season 2020-2021 Name Team Points 1 Charlie Fountain Birmingham Southern College 720.15 2 Joseph Swing Birmingham Southern College 691.75 3 Dylan white Berry College 691.60 4 Evan Ziolkowski Rhodes College 684.95 5 Hayden Henderson Birmingham Southern College 677.00 6 Ross Valdez Berry College 675.10 7 Chase Bolding Birmingham Southern College 658.20 8 Arthur Bishop Rhodes College 650.45 9 Chris Rubin Birmingham Southern College 645.65 10 Bear Breeze Berry College 643.92 11 Carson Maggio Birmingham Southern College 636.70 12 Noah Brand Berry College 636.38 13 Bryan Killian Centre College 633.15 14 Anthony Carbone Sewanee 632.10 15 Michael Bemis Berry College 631.17 16 Harrison Rozman Rhodes College 630.70 17 Maxwell Shoyat Centre College 629.35 18 Henry Lang Centre College 627.40 19 Alex Gauldin Birmingham Southern College 619.18 20 Driscoll Crabbe Birmingham Southern College 618.45 21 Jackson DeFore Birmingham Southern College 609.27 22 Garrison Herfel Centre College 604.61 23 Will Guzman Rhodes College 603.30 24 Paxton Higgerson Hendrix College 602.30 25 Hunter Kenny Berry College 601.19

Berry also finished the season 12th in Division 3, but that is seriously misleading as several of the major D3 swim programs elected not to compete at all.

Note: The scores are calculated based on event swim times compared to the rest of college swimmers.

Note: Given the Covid options of this past season not counting towards eligibility, its difficult to determine what class each swimmer is in, the 2 italicized Berry swimmers I know are choosing to graduate and will not be returning in 2021-22

Last edited by Breeze : 04-15-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #1359
rjolley
College Starter

Congrats Bear. Very strong freshman season.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #1360
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Academic Update

Bear continues to do well academically finishing the second semester with a 4.0. He came home for a short period of time, but is now back at school to be part of a research project. Despite the fact he's basically a freshman, and he hasn't had organic chemistry yet, he's been brought on to assist with testing and research of a long running study. The purpose of the study is to try and restore the American chestnut tree to it's former appearance. Apparently, if they can't determine what's impacting the tree's growth, then the American chestnut tree will cease to exist.

Basically, my understanding is he'll be testing the impact of fungus on the tree's cells. His group's part of the study is to try and understand why the Asian chestnut tree is resistant to fungi while the American version isn't.

I'll miss him during the testing period, but it's only for about 6 weeks and this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. It exposes him to the type of work he's considering doing and it looks much better on a resume than lifeguarding or teaching swim lessons for the 3rd straight year.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #1361
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

Just some general notes on Bear's friends and training partners:

- Alex Gonzalez, who signed to swim with Iowa for the 2021 season only to enroll and almost immediately be informed Iowa was dropping their swim program, is transferring (along with 3 Iowa teammates) to Cincinnati for the 2022 season

- Despite having a pretty solid Freshman season, Tommy Eaton elected to transfer from FSU to Cincinnati where he'll join Alex and co.

- Two additional SwimAtlanta swimmers, that will graduate in 2022 - Owen Holland and Ben Grottle, verbally committed to Cincinnati as well

- Jack Aikens ended up being CollegeSwimmings #3 overall recruit in the nation. He's headed to UVA to compete.

- Grant Davis - #6 collegeswimming recruit in Georgia - committed to Auburn

- Nick Bohn - #11 collegeswimming recruit in Georgia - committed to Alabama

- Former distance swimming rival Brendan Hausdorf (#21 Ga.) committed to LSU

- Brett Sasser (#34 Ga.) committed to FAU

- SwimAtlanta teammate Sebastien Sergile is currently the #6 recruit in the Nation for 2022

- Roman Valdez (roommate Ross Valdez's brother) is currently #4 in Georgia for 2022 and is verbally committed to LSU.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #1362
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update - Olympics

This year USA Swimming has elected to split the Olympic Trials into 2 separate meets. Wave 1, which features the lower seeded swimmers, and Wave 2, which will have all the contenders for one of the few team slots. I've looked into some of the swimmers that my kids grew up with to see who qualified for the trials. Here is the list:

Men

- Jack Dolan
- Jack Aikens
- Jake McGahee
- Grant Davis
- Liam Bell
- Ian Grumm
- Leyton Smith
- Raunak Khosla
- Bradley Dunham
- Jack Dubois
- Jack Dalmolin
- Aiden Stoffle
- Nate Stoffle
- Sebastien Sergile

Women

- Emma Cole
- Sheridan Schreiber
- Addie Rose Bullock
- Jade Foelske*
- Tristan Ulett
- Ryeene Ulett
- Abby McCulloh

*Note: will probably compete for the German Olympic Team

The Wave 1 meet starts on the 4th, and the psych sheet has been posted. I've looked through it, and there are several names of qualifiers above that aren't listed. I'm not sure if they elected to not compete, or if they will be in the Wave 2 meet because they have an event that reached the Wave 2 cut, thus they get to swim all their events in that meet (not sure specifics around competing in the two meets if you have cut times in both).

Here is who I did see in the psych sheet, along with their seed for this meet, if you want to watch out for them during the broadcast:

Men

Lleyton Smith - 100 Back (4), 200 Back (13)

Bradley Dunham - 100 Back (22), 200 Back (10)

Jack Dubois - 400 Free (19)

Aiden Stoffle - 100 Free (15), 100 Back (44), 100 Fly (15), 50 Free (76)

Nate Stoffle - 100 Back (27)

Sebastien Sergile - 200 Fly (19)

Women

Emma Cole - 100 Fly (17), 50 Free (10)

Sheridan Schreiber - 100 Breast (31), 200 Breast (14)

Abby McCulloh - 800 Free (3), 400 Free (12)

I'll add this same information once the psych sheet for Wave 2 drops.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #1363
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Don't remember if this was asked or mentioned anytime in the last couple of years, but did Bear ever grow any taller?
Old 06-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #1364
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't remember if this was asked or mentioned anytime in the last couple of years, but did Bear ever grow any taller?

Unfortunately, no - he's still 5' 8". We had hopes he'd be taller when he was younger, but he stopped growing pretty early.

Last edited by Breeze : 06-04-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #1365
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quick Update - Olympic Trials

Was talking to Bear yesterday (6/6) and he mentioned a swimmer that I missed in the psych sheet. Henry Bethel made the 'B' Final of the 100 Breast. He swam with Ross Valdez's on the high school and club team.

Last edited by Breeze : 06-07-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #1366
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The Wave 2 pre-scratch psych sheet was released. Here are the swimmers we've competed with and against that will be swimming along with their seeds.

Men

400 IM - Raunak Khosla (16), Ian Grum (34)
400 Free - Jake Magahey (7)
100 Brst - Liam Bell (19), Raunak Khosla (28)
200 Free - Jake Magahey (10)
100 Back - Jake Aikens (17), Jack Dolan (20), Nate Stoffle (32), Ian Grum (33)
100 Free - Jake Magahey (19), Jack Dolan (48), Jack Aikins (67)
200 Brst - Raunak Khosla (43)
800 Free - Jake Magahey (11), Grant Davis (38)
200 Back - Ian Grum (9), Jack Dolan (24), Jack Aikins (30)
200 IM - Raunak Khosla (21)
100 Fly - Raunak Khosla (58)
50 Free - Jack Dolan (57), Jack Aikins (59)

Women

100 Fly - Tristen Ulett (43), Rye Ulett (52), Addie Rose Bullock (61)
100 Back - Rye Ulett (15), Addie Rose Bullock (34), Tristen Ulett (42)
200 IM - Tristen Ulett (44), Rye Ulett (57)
200 Fly - Tristen Ulett (24)
100 Free - Tristen Ulett (69)
200 Back - Rye Ulett (9)
50 Free - Tristen Ulett (48)

There are definitely some swimmers here who could make B finals for sure and maybe even A finals, so if you are watching the trials next week you might keep some of these names in mind. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Jake Magahey make the team as at least a relay alternate in the 200 Free (needs to be top 6).

Last edited by Breeze : 06-11-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #1367
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Just a quick note:

Jake Magahey made the semi-finals in the 200 Freestyle. So if you watch tonight you'll see him swim. Obviously, he did great to get to the semis, but he'll have to swim much faster to get in the top 6 and be considered for a relay spot.

Jack Aikens also will be swimming in the semi-finals tonight. He'll swim the 100 back, he comes into the evening seeded 11th.

And I missed a couple other swimmers in my search of the psych sheet. Addie Farrington swam in the 100 Breast today, and Micah Sumerall was a Gold Team coach for a while before Bear switched over to SwimAtlanta. Micah is also in the Semi's of the 100 Breast tonight.

Last edited by Breeze : 06-14-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #1368
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

- Ian Grum made semi's in the 200 back tonight

- Jack Aikins also made semis in the 200 back. He comes in seeded 3rd (though several of the big name cruised to a time good enough to make semi's and are behind him). He posted a 1:57.57 - which tied him for the 7th fastest 200 Back by a 17 year old in US history. He'll be swimming again tonight in the semi's, and while I don't expect him to really challenge for an Olympic spot, he might be able to sneak into the finals with another good swim.

- Ranauk Khosla made the semi finals in the 200 IM

Last edited by Breeze : 06-17-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #1369
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post

- Jack Aikins also made semis in the 200 back. He comes in seeded 3rd (though several of the big name cruised to a time good enough to make semi's and are behind him). He posted a 1:57.57 - which tied him for the 7th fastest 200 Back by a 17 year old in US history. He'll be swimming again tonight in the semi's, and while I don't expect him to really challenge for an Olympic spot, he might be able to sneak into the finals with another good swim.

So Jack looked great in the semis last night and he made the finals tonight. He'll come into the finals seeded 5th, and if things hold true to form, Jack will likely lead the race early. In both prelims and semis he led for 150 meters, only to be passed in the last lap.

Edit to add: Jack finished 7th at finals

Last edited by Breeze : 06-21-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #1370
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

Bear is now home for the rest of the summer and he'll be joining SwimAtlanta to train. He's not super excited about it, given he's really not in peak shape and everyone else already is. He's afraid he's going to drown...