Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #351
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm totally confused by this. Foreign substances have always been illegal. Just because they aren't proactively checking for it doesn't mean someone might not get caught for it. See... PEDs! So now it's OK to admit that you were using a specific substance and it's unfair to start cracking down mid-season? He should be suspended for being stupid enough to admit it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #352
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm totally confused by this. Foreign substances have always been illegal. Just because they aren't proactively checking for it doesn't mean someone might not get caught for it. See... PEDs! So now it's OK to admit that you were using a specific substance and it's unfair to start cracking down mid-season? He should be suspended for being stupid enough to admit it.

This is also the guy that hinted that the Blue Jays may have been cheating by stealing signs when they hit him hard during a start last month.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:49 AM   #353
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah? To me, it goes back the spirit of the law vs. letter of the law. It is the PED argument all over again. Baseball (because I don't who) has evidently been breaking the letter of the law. There was an acknowledgement by both teams that we won't make a big deal about it because our guys are doing it too. The umpires nor MLB decided to enforce the laws because IMO the home run became to prevalent in the game. Pitchers took it too far and now they have to go back enforcing the letter of the law once again. I have no idea if not using the substance is going to cause injuries. I am still struggling to understand how pitchers who supposedly spent the entire lives not using these sticky substances and not hitting batters are now going to be plunking batters non stop because the sticky stuff has been taken away.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #354
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is also the guy that hinted that the Blue Jays may have been cheating by stealing signs when they hit him hard during a start last month.

Wait? So taking it out on the Astros and a team associated with the Astros (Red Sox) didn't take that out of the sport? That's /shocking/ to me, particularly when, if you asked around, reports were that at least half a dozen teams were doing the same thing as the Astros and another half dozen were doing it in a less organized fashion. But, hey, throw the book at Houston and it's all fixed (that said, they probably deserved it for a litany of other transgressions but MLB pretended it was just for sign stealing to try and make it all go away).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #355
tarcone
Coordinator

Baseball and cheating go hand in hand.
The MLB motto should be "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #356
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wait? So taking it out on the Astros and a team associated with the Astros (Red Sox) didn't take that out of the sport? That's /shocking/ to me, particularly when, if you asked around, reports were that at least half a dozen teams were doing the same thing as the Astros and another half dozen were doing it in a less organized fashion. But, hey, throw the book at Houston and it's all fixed (that said, they probably deserved it for a litany of other transgressions but MLB pretended it was just for sign stealing to try and make it all go away).

SI

But what about Shoeless Joe?!?!?!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #357
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Yeah? To me, it goes back the spirit of the law vs. letter of the law. It is the PED argument all over again. Baseball (because I don't who) has evidently been breaking the letter of the law. There was an acknowledgement by both teams that we won't make a big deal about it because our guys are doing it too. The umpires nor MLB decided to enforce the laws because IMO the home run became to prevalent in the game. Pitchers took it too far and now they have to go back enforcing the letter of the law once again. I have no idea if not using the substance is going to cause injuries. I am still struggling to understand how pitchers who supposedly spent the entire lives not using these sticky substances and not hitting batters are now going to be plunking batters non stop because the sticky stuff has been taken away.

It is the PED thing all over again. Except, I don't remember a single active player getting indignant about MLB finally cracking down on PEDs and publicly stating "You can't take injections away from me now, I'm hitting too many HRs. That's unfair!" They continued to deny it regardless of what evidence may or may not have been made public.

I mean, at least act like you care whether people know you are cheating. It's better to be an unproven liar than an admitted cheater!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-16-2021, 09:48 PM   #358
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
It is the PED thing all over again. Except, I don't remember a single active player getting indignant about MLB finally cracking down on PEDs and publicly stating "You can't take injections away from me now, I'm hitting too many HRs. That's unfair!" They continued to deny it regardless of what evidence may or may not have been made public.

I mean, at least act like you care whether people know you are cheating. It's better to be an unproven liar than an admitted cheater!

But they don't care because this is GOOD cheating while steroids was bad cheating.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #359
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Diamondbacks are very, very bad right now.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #360
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The Diamondbacks are very, very bad right now.

I watched part of the game last night, man they have horrendous pitching. Their starter threw 47 pitches in the first inning losing the 2-0 lead he was spotted.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #361
spleen1015
Coordinator

Everyone is putting this on the players, but this whole situation is on MLB.

The teams were teaching the pitchers how to use all of these substances.

This is on MLB for allowing it to happen and not cracking down on it sooner.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #362
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I watched part of the game last night, man they have horrendous pitching. Their starter threw 47 pitches in the first inning losing the 2-0 lead he was spotted.

It doesn't help that the Giants see more pitches than almost any other team, but yeah. They choked away a 7-0 lead on Tuesday, capped off by a 2-out, 2-strike, bottom of the 8th grand slam to Mike Yastrzemski to lose 9-8.

I have a bad habit of going to other teams' fan blogs to read the sentiment when something dramatic happens; the Diamondbacks fans called the loss when they gave up their first run and it was 7-1. It's gotta be rough to be a Diamondback fan right now.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #363
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just heard an interesting stat. One player has hit 15 or more HRs each of the last 5 years including last year. who is it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #364
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just heard an interesting stat. One player has hit 15 or more HRs each of the last 5 years including last year. who is it?

Yelich?

Old 06-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #365
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yelich?

Nope
Old 06-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #366
bob
College Starter

The Yankees got out of the 1st inning against the Blue Jays on Thursday with the MLB’s first-ever 1-3-6-2-5-6 triple play.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-tur...inst-blue-jays
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:14 AM   #367
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sure is refreshing to not see the Yankees on the wrong end of a baserunning meltdown for a change.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #368
tarcone
Coordinator

That triple play was awesome.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:40 PM   #369
JPhillips
General Manager

Sniper gets the kill on Cueto.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #370
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Jose Ramirez
Old 06-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #371
bob
College Starter

The foreign substance checks have gotten quite ridiculous already.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #372
tarcone
Coordinator

What is going on with all the injuries this year? It is making my roto team hard to follow.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #373
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The foreign substance checks have gotten quite ridiculous already.
I know! I was checked three times today, and I don't even pitch. At least, that is what the guy said he was doing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What is going on with all the injuries this year? It is making my roto team hard to follow.

You'll never convince me that the half-assed spring training hasn't played a significant role in the injury rate.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #375
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You'll never convince me that the half-assed spring training hasn't played a significant role in the injury rate.

You also see players bulking up a lot more than they used to and Baseball is just not a sport whose movements are conducive to having a lot of muscle mass when it comes to injury avoidance. Stanton looks like a Greek God and is constantly battling torque injuries, Judge is the same and they both just started to cut down on that this past off season.

Players need to train smarter with more functional/flexibility stuff.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-23-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #376
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
You also see players bulking up a lot more than they used to and Baseball is just not a sport whose movements are conducive to having a lot of muscle mass when it comes to injury avoidance. Stanton looks like a Greek God and is constantly battling torque injuries, Judge is the same and they both just started to cut down on that this past off season.

Players need to train smarter with more functional/flexibility stuff.

They also try and jack the ball from the park every swing. Back in the day guys shortened their swings a lot, even power hitters did that with 2 strikes or in a spot they could make a productive out.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #377
Atocep
Coordinator

The Mariners Hector Santiago becomes the first pitcher ejected for a foreign substance. I'm curious to see what variation of "it must have been in a supplement" we get from this.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #378
tarcone
Coordinator

We used to scuff balls up to get a better grip. Maybe baseball should just use one ball for a few inning.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:32 PM   #379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Mariners Hector Santiago becomes the first pitcher ejected for a foreign substance. I'm curious to see what variation of "it must have been in a supplement" we get from this.

More interesting will be the results of the supposed chemical analysis they'll conduct. He's claiming they'll find nothing but rosin and sweat ... what if he's telling the truth?

What if they start out 0-for-1?
Old 06-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #380
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
More interesting will be the results of the supposed chemical analysis they'll conduct. He's claiming they'll find nothing but rosin and sweat ... what if he's telling the truth?

What if they start out 0-for-1?

I just heard that he was ejected due to the substance being inside the glove. The reporter said that any substance even rosin found inside the glove is deemed illegal.

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-27-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #381
Atocep
Coordinator

I look at the Angels and I'm just amazed at how badly they've mangled the roster while Trout has been there. They guy has been the best player in baseball for about a decade and has a total of 15 postseason PAs. On top of that, with Trout out with his injury, Ohtani is the odds on favorite to win the MVP this year and they're still 3 games under .500.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #382
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think you could put the names of every pitcher in MLB and AAA, random 12 or 13 of them and end up with a better pitching staff than the Angels have had since they last made the playoffs. It’s absolutely criminal how little they have invested in pitching across the board.

Oh, and they repeated the Hamilton and Pujols mistake with Rendon when they had a shot to get a true number 1 starter in FA. So that’s great. I’m honestly not sure why Trout didn’t walk.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #383
Ksyrup

I've never understood the rules for breaking in balls.

At high school/travel ball levels of softball, when a new ball is introduced, the pitcher is not allowed to do anything to the ball so the catcher rolls it to the mound through the dirt. Occasionally, the pitcher will roll it back and repeat the process. I don't know why pitchers aren't allowed to get a decent grip on a brand new ball. Especially in scenarios when you are likely playing an entire game with less than 6 balls. It's not like MLB where they throw out every ball that touches the dirt. Every ball is going to be scuffed up by like the 3rd inning. Makes no sense.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #384
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I've heard a similar theory about the NFL. You know how there's now that weird first week of training camp where, like, four guys across the league go down with serious ligament injuries? Someone was saying it was b/c with all of the reduced OTAs, etc., guys show up and immediately go into full-speed training camp mode, and their bodies really need to ramp up instead. That it would be better injury-wise to have a longer camp that ramps up more gradually.

But then you cut two weeks out of the players' offseason time, so it probably won't happen. They will all just assume that they'll avoid the injury bug.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #385
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm starting to get nervous about how the Pirates will end up blowing the #1 overall pick in the draft in a couple of weeks. They always seem to get the #1 overall pick in the years there is not a consensus top player. They did okay with Gerrit Cole, but a lot of people thought they should have taken Rendon or Bauer at the time (I think Rendon had sort of been the consensus guy and may have gotten injured). Otherwise, we've ended with Bryan Bullington (-0.3 career WAR), Kris Benson (12.9), and Jeff King (16.8). We had the worst record in 1986, but the Mariners got the top pick that year because it alternated leagues back then, so they got Ken Griffey Jr. and we got Mark Merchant (never made the major leagues).

It looks like there are 3-4 projectable SS, the two Vanderbilt pitchers, and the C from Louisville in the conversation. I feel like taking Leiter from Vanderbilt or the C (Henry Davis) is the safe pick, but we are going to probably end up with a high school SS that we will have to wait six years for and won't know how to develop.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #386
spleen1015
Coordinator

With the trend of young players hitting the league these days, that high school SS could be in the majors in 2023 doing bad things to baseballs.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #387
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I never knew that about Griffey. That stinks.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #388
JPhillips
General Manager

Just take Leiter and be happy. He's got a high floor and ceiling.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #389
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm starting to get nervous about how the Pirates will end up blowing the #1 overall pick in the draft in a couple of weeks. They always seem to get the #1 overall pick in the years there is not a consensus top player. They did okay with Gerrit Cole, but a lot of people thought they should have taken Rendon or Bauer at the time (I think Rendon had sort of been the consensus guy and may have gotten injured). Otherwise, we've ended with Bryan Bullington (-0.3 career WAR), Kris Benson (12.9), and Jeff King (16.8). We had the worst record in 1986, but the Mariners got the top pick that year because it alternated leagues back then, so they got Ken Griffey Jr. and we got Mark Merchant (never made the major leagues).

That happened with the Dodgers-Mariners. One got A-Rod, the other got Darre Dreifort. Both wanted A-Rod. Dreifort wasn't a bad consolation pick, as he started his career in the majors, but injuries derailed him.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #390
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

It looks like there are 3-4 projectable SS, the two Vanderbilt pitchers, and the C from Louisville in the conversation. I feel like taking Leiter from Vanderbilt or the C (Henry Davis) is the safe pick, but we are going to probably end up with a high school SS that we will have to wait six years for and won't know how to develop.

I don't think a college guy is the best choice considering where the Pirates currently are. They're likely a minimum of 3-4 years away from contending in the central and that might be optimistic. Mayer and Lawlar have the highest ceilings and the timelines make more sense than taking a college guy. Rocker's velo is way down from last year, Leiter looks like a big league 3 starter, and I don't think Davis is a number 1 overall type talent. I'm not a fan of round 1 catchers in general though outside truly elite talent such as Rutschman. As you've said, the Pirates have made a lot of mistakes in the draft but I do think what they seem to be leaving toward right now is the right call.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #391
Atocep
Coordinator

Trevor Bauer may have pitched his last game for at least this season. The details coming on his sexual assault allegations are sick and disturbing.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:42 PM   #392
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Trevor Bauer may have pitched his last game for at least this season. The details coming on his sexual assault allegations are sick and disturbing.

I read his lawyer saying they have text messages of her telling him to do what he did, saying she wanted to be choked, etc...as well as him expressing concern about her well being.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-30-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #393
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That's the gentlemanly thing to do after choking someone unconscious multiple times, anally raping them while unconscious, and continuing to hit them while unconscious.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #394
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
That's the gentlemanly thing to do after choking someone unconscious multiple times, anally raping them while unconscious, and continuing to hit them while unconscious.

Not the point.

I hate Bauer, and he certainly may be guilty as hell and I would have no problem seeing him rot. But the reality is there are people out there who are looking to exploit someone like this. If they indeed have messages from her requesting these things going to be hard for her to make a case.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-30-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:35 PM   #395
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Not the point.

I hate Bauer, and he certainly may be guilty as hell and I would have no problem seeing him rot. But the reality is there are people out there who are looking to exploit someone like this. If they indeed have messages from her requesting these things going to be hard for her to make a case.

From the Athletic's article, it sounds like she consented to some of the things, but definitely not all of the things he did to her and at one point she even told him it wasn't mean to be a "free-for-all".

Regardless, he's either a disturbed human being or he's a monumental idiot because I don't know why someone worth millions would put himself in a situation like that with someone he just met through instagram DMs.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #396
JPhillips
General Manager

My prediction:

Bauer suspended for some maybe all of the rest of the season.

No criminal charges.

Bauer back in 2022.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #397
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
From the Athletic's article, it sounds like she consented to some of the things, but definitely not all of the things he did to her and at one point she even told him it wasn't mean to be a "free-for-all".

Regardless, he's either a disturbed human being or he's a monumental idiot because I don't know why someone worth millions would put himself in a situation like that with someone he just met through instagram DMs.

That was behind a paywall for me but I completely agree anyone who does stuff like that, consensual or not, is broken. I also am always amazed when a multi million dollar athlete puts themselves in a position like this.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #398
tarcone
Coordinator

I hate this shit. Iowa had a BB player in the early 00s charged with rape. A girl showed up drunk and at his apartment, then went to the emergency room with anal bruising. Was it rape? Was it an enthusiastic girl with regrets?
Regardless, athletes need to know better an react accordingly. Tape that shit or get a letter of consent.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:20 AM   #399
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was behind a paywall for me but I completely agree anyone who does stuff like that, consensual or not, is broken. I also am always amazed when a multi million dollar athlete puts themselves in a position like this.

So I'm firmly in the "I absolutely don't understand how people can enjoy that sort of thing" camp. But I also understand there are people out there that ARE into that sort of thing. It's weird, and I don't understand why they are into that, but I get that they are into that.

This seems to be far beyond the level of acceptable, even for this sort of thing, however.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #400
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So I'm firmly in the "I absolutely don't understand how people can enjoy that sort of thing" camp. But I also understand there are people out there that ARE into that sort of thing. It's weird, and I don't understand why they are into that, but I get that they are into that.

This seems to be far beyond the level of acceptable, even for this sort of thing, however.

I always harken back to a quote from Jake Roberts in beyond the mat when it comes to athletes / celebrities and this type of stuff. Roberts basically references the fact that when women are throwing themselves at you every night you just get more and more depraved, from adding a second, to toys, to having them do each other and so on, until you basically forget how to make love/have sex like a normal person.

I would imagine there are plenty of folks in a position of celebrity that go down these paths. To be clear, if these allegations are true Bauer has some issues and if they occurred without consent while the woman was unconscious they are criminal.

Either way, there is definitely things that don't add up with how she handled it as well. Not sure why you go back a second time after that first experience. I will hold out judgement until the process plays out, but at best he is a creep and at worst he needs to be held accountable if all of the alleged victims allegations are true.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-01-2021 at 08:37 AM.