Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #51
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I've been enjoying Perfect Draft. Pick your players in 20 minutes and see how you do versus others. Do you go pitching heavy? Hitting? Defense? Some balance? Do you worry about your bench at all? Do you take that great pitcher now and pass up on a great hitter hoping you can make up for it with a very good hitter later?

Lots to think about and execute on.

Is this part of OOTP?

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #52
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is this part of OOTP?

yes

Id tend to agree with the earlier posts. I find this entertaining.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-28-2021 at 11:29 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A fool and his money are soon parted.

No, I'm not talking about buying OOTP. Not regretting it.

I'm the fool tho.

Why? Because just like a fool and his money will soon be parted, a pitcher with fragile/wrecked durability will find his various arm parts parted quickly. Again. And Again. And again.

One wrecked durability pitcher I signed in a hist-replay went on the IL FIVE TIMES in a single season (and this is at OOTP classic injury mode, not modern day normal).

And I have him onstaff for two more years. Joyous.

(I actually traded a young 4 star pitcher because he had fragile durability).

FA needs at least a little bit of polish I think, too many good players available even until the middle of spring training.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #54
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Felix Arellano

Injury history from 1987-88 only.

3/2/87 Strained Forearm (out 8-9 weeks)
5/10/87 Herniated Disc (Back) (Out 3-4 weeks, 1 setback)
6/23/87 Finger Blister (D2D, Moderate, 3 days)
6/29/87 Back spasms (D2D, Moderate, 3 days)
7/14/87 Finger Blister (D2D, Moderate, 3 days)
7/20/87 Tender SHoulder (D2D, Minimal, 5 days)
7/30/87 Mild Shoulder Inflammation (D2D, 2 Weeks, Moderate)
8/15/87 Finger Blister (D2D, 2 Weeks, Moderate)
8/29/87 Sprained Elbow (D2D, 2-3 Weeks, Moderate)
9/16/87 Back Spasms (D2D, 1 Day, Moderate)
9/26/87 Reoccuring Back Spasms (OUT, 2-3 Months)
3/16/88 Back Spasms (D2D, 1 week, Moderate)
3/28/88 Sore Thumb (D2D, 1 week, Moderate
4/11/88 Back Spasms (D2D, 2 weeks, 1 Setback, Moderate)
4/17/88 Shoulder Inflammation (OUT, 4 Weeks)
5/19/88 Elbow Sprain (D2D, Moderate, 2 Weeks)
6/14/88 Mild Abdominal Sprain (D2D, Moderate, 1 week)
6/28/88 Strained Abdominal Muscle (Out, 6 weeks)
8/29/88 Wrist Soreness (3 days, D2D, Moderate)
9/19/88 Strained Abdominal Muscle (OUT, 8 Weeks, 1 setback)

Spring Training 1989:
Torn Labrum (shoulder), OUT, SIX MONTHS

Felix, my friend. Your body is telling you something. GET OUT.

Edit: Updated. In the long tradition of giving folks unflattering nicknames, I think I should tag him "Sicknote" or "Injured list"

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-28-2021 at 01:23 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oof, yeah. That's rough.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #56
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Felix Arellano

Injury history from 1987-88 only.

I almost expected to see something like "Dislocated elbow while signing contract extension."
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I think there's too many injuries to fragile/wrecked pitchers, even at OOTP classic level, but, eh, it's something to look at when you're signing players.

The FA logic definitely needs some look, players are settling in FA for like 1/3'd of what they wouldn't accept pre-FA
Old 03-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #58
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I've been enjoying Perfect Draft. Pick your players in 20 minutes and see how you do versus others. Do you go pitching heavy? Hitting? Defense? Some balance? Do you worry about your bench at all? Do you take that great pitcher now and pass up on a great hitter hoping you can make up for it with a very good hitter later?

Lots to think about and execute on.

I feel stupid but why can't I find it?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #59
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I feel stupid but why can't I find it?

Its on the right side. Sign in and then show perfect drafts towards about 3/4 down the screen on the right side.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #60
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, I think there's too many injuries to fragile/wrecked pitchers, even at OOTP classic level, but, eh, it's something to look at when you're signing players.

The FA logic definitely needs some look, players are settling in FA for like 1/3'd of what they wouldn't accept pre-FA

Depends IMO. I think the injury proneness should be hidden.

However IRL, if you get a pitcher like Rich Hill or Michael Pineda you can be sure that they will miss most of the season due to random injuries.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Do I need to register and be online?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #62
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Do I need to register and be online?

yes. It is against other people. These tournys go fast.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-29-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
yes. It is against other people. These tournys go fast.

so I found it and opened my 6 starter packs. Waiting for my team to be submitted, says preparing.

I think it said you play a game every 30 minutes and something about the season lasting a week?

I feel like I may be in the wrong place.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #64
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
so I found it and opened my 6 starter packs. Waiting for my team to be submitted, says preparing.

I think it said you play a game every 30 minutes and something about the season lasting a week?

I feel like I may be in the wrong place.

Yeah, you are in perfect team. If you go back to the start screen choose perfect draft you will be in the right place.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks!

Been in the entry pool queue for a while
Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #66
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Thanks!

Been in the entry pool queue for a while

IIRC, the entry pool lasts until the next Monday. So, relax and enjoy racking up some Perfect Points (or just completely ignore it -- it's totally separate from Perfect Draft). You can do Perfect Team Tournaments with your Perfect Team and Perfect Drafts while in the Entry Pool so you're fine.

It's a little Perfect-ly confusing. You have a team and points to buy more cards/players. That team, once the entry pool is done, will be in a promotion/relegation league with other people online. You may also, if you like, join tournaments for which you would build a team from your existing cards/players. The tourney may be only "iron level" (ratings 40 - 60) players or it may be historical players or whatever. It's not the exact same team you have in the entry pool but it is built from your cards/players like that was. You can be in 3 tourneys at a time.

Lastly, new this year, you can do one Perfect Draft which is unrelated to all that. No points, no existing cards/players, no fuss, no muss.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Right now I can't do anything. Says "you need to at least be in the entry pool to join tournaments"

Where do I do the perfect draft from that is unrelated?

Sorry for all the questions. One of the issues I have always had with OOTP games is sometimes they are too complex.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So it looks like I got into a tournament, but when I try to submit my lineup it says it doesn't pass sanity check because bullpen roles arent set. When I go to my staff I only have three guys in the bullpens, but I am only working with the players from my card pack. Arg...
Old 03-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think I have it figured out except the one perfect draft without points, et...but I am really having fun with this.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That said, if you've got OOTP21, I'm not convinced this is a must-buy upgrade at full price. The UI is still cluttered, I don't notice any real improvements to any of the core gaming functions. The 64-bit thing is noticable, but if you don't play in a massive league setup or have a speed enough machine, it's marginally important.

It could be a sale purchase if someone is on the fence or doesn't have a league moving to upgrade.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #71
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I think I have it figured out except the one perfect draft without points, et...but I am really having fun with this.

I've had an issue with Perfect Draft where I go there and it doesn't update with the available drafts to join. Refresh if you see nothing.

Other than that, what are you having trouble with in Perfect Draft?
Old 03-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #72
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

FA logic has been poor for awhile. Offer a player a 4 year/$120 million extension and then watch them hit free agency and get a 2 year/$30 million deal.

Computer teams paying way too much for players in their 30's.

Or in free agency you target someone who wants 6 years/$200 million and watch them sign a contract for half that the next day.

The injury stuff is off too. Fragile/Wrecked players get hurt way too much while Durable/Iron Man get hurt way too little. It is to a point where that is the single most important factor to me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #73
Capital
High School Varsity

Are you playing against AI teams or human players in perfect draft?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #74
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Are you playing against AI teams or human players in perfect draft?

Other humans but the games are simmed, you set up your lineups, strategy, etc. and let it rip.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The perfect draft is so much fun. I am currently drafting a team. My first three picks so far are my 3 OF positions, Acuna, Springer, and Ted Williams. Lol.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The perfect draft is so much fun. I am currently drafting a team. My first three picks so far are my 3 OF positions, Acuna, Springer, and Ted Williams. Lol.

8-1 first 2 rounds. Added Rizzo and Pablo Sandoval. My staff is anchored by Gerrit Cole and Steve Carlton with a couple old timers. Ted Williams is insane, as he should be.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #77
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The injury stuff is off too. Fragile/Wrecked players get hurt way too much while Durable/Iron Man get hurt way too little. It is to a point where that is the single most important factor to me.

That is one of my biggest complaints about the game. Yes some guys are injury prone but I think this takes it to the extreme.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #78
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

That's scary -- both ways. Both to face and for you to be able to get through the rest of the draft and have appropriate guys be available. I've done a few now where I CANNOT find a backup catcher. Not good. I'm starting to value a little versatility in those 3 - 6th round guys. I wish it were easier to see L/R splits, speed, stealing, etc. Oh, well. It's still a ton of fun.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #79
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ran into a simworld-stopping bug, where the AI is not respecting foreign player limits while signing players in a Japanese league, so it stops the sim (It doesn't auto-drop excess foreign players, so you have to go in Comissioner mode)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:12 PM   #80
Swaggs
Coordinator

I’ve only made it through one season so far and it feels pretty similar to me, so far. I guess that’s good and bad.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #81
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone know where you can find a list of all the achievements for perfect team?
Old 04-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'll have to upload a silent crash bug report (a world-project, probably too big, 4 europe leagues, 4 pac-am leagues, US league), but I have another "Now I'm only falling apart" player. This time a batter.

This year he's had the following:

Quadriceps Strain
Knee Inflammation
Hamstring Soreness
Shoulder Tendonitis
Strained Groin..

And it's only JUNE!
Old 04-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #83
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just had my first crash in 2024. Still as annoying as ever.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #84
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I was lucky enough to get a card that I could sell for 200k. I re-invested that money in 50 packs of Gold Packs. Been nothing but the same low 80 players over and over. I think Ive gotten Max Muncy 30 times already.

Kind of lame how you just keep getting the same players over and over with a random very low chance at some cool player.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #85
rjolley
College Starter

It's easier to target a player you want and buy his card on the market.

Last season, I tried to get as many Negro League cards as I could. They almost never popped up in packs. I saved up and bought Josh Gibson's card on the market and that was my best card year over year. I may load up OOTP21 here in a bit and see if there are any more NL cards out there to buy.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #86
Atocep
Coordinator

This version has some issues, but I'm still having fun with it and there's nothing that really creates those personal stories you create in your own mind as you play and "relationships" you develop with your favorite players.

I'm playing as the Royals and drafted a hard throwing college righty 25th overall one year. He blew up as soon as he hit the minors, was in the majors within 2 years, and going into his 3rd season he's a top 10 pitcher. His name is Chad Layton, he's noted for his intelligence, and no matter the game says his nickname is The Professor as far as I'm concerned.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:13 AM   #87
stephen645
n00b

But like GrandDawg said, I think the focus will continue to be on the microtransaction game.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #88
Atocep
Coordinator

One thing this version does better than previous versions is you see more failed starters ending up in the bullpen.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #89
Swaggs
Coordinator

I see the potential and maybe I am guilty of comparing it to fully patched past versions, but I have continued to have periodic crashes and, more frustratingly, I got 4 years into my Pirates' rebuild, made the playoffs, and after the league expanded in the offseason, the new season never began. I'm not sure if it didn't generate a new league schedule or what, but my league got stuck in the arbitration/pre-free agency period until the following Spring, when I gave up and quit.

I do like Perfect Team/Draft. I got a 100 rated card of some older reliever that I'd never heard of and auctioned it off for 120,000 coins. I turned around and bought 100 rated Cole and deGroom for ~20,000-25,000 each, bought 15 gold packs, and then have been completing team missions on the auction to earn more gold packs. I didn't get any other 100 rated players, but got quite a few 90+ players and am still sitting on 20,000-25,000 coins after auctioning off doubles. Last season, I didn't check out Perfect Team until a little later in the year, but I feel like I'm off to a real good start and will have a longer time to earn the residual money.

I've only come in 2nd in the Draft portion twice, but it is a fun time killer. My general strategy in the real game is to build with defense up the middle at catcher, SS, and CF but with the Perfect Draft, it seems like I've had more luck going heavy on stud starting pitchers in the first few rounds.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #90
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I find the tournament structure for perfect draft dictates how I draft. If it is a BO5 I go heavy on SP to try and shut down the first few games then steal one with my 3-4-5 starter.

The key IMO in those tournaments if finding guys in the late rounds who can play multiple positions. If your guys are tired you are screwed. It is almost impossible to do well if you go the distance in a series.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:09 AM   #91
rjolley
College Starter

With PD, I try to get 4 good to great starters and run a 4 man rotation. That leaves me with one more selection for a good bat.

I also usually get 1 catcher, unless a great defensive catcher comes up in the later rounds.

The strategy hasn't paid off in getting rewards, though I have gotten to the quarters a few times.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #92
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think you probably get killed when your catcher gets tired.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #93
rjolley
College Starter

Good point. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #94
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm a big fan of getting catchers with really high position ratings (like 70+) throughout the system. I've played for years and years, but last year I read about it and then watched a Youtube video where they demonstrated the effects. It really impacts the development and performance of pitchers.

For the past two versions, I always go out and get Ali Sanchez. He's not very good offensively, but always seems to somehow outperform his ratings and he has a really high catcher rating and seems to always be (or turn into) a captain.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #95
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm a big fan of getting catchers with really high position ratings (like 70+) throughout the system. I've played for years and years, but last year I read about it and then watched a Youtube video where they demonstrated the effects. It really impacts the development and performance of pitchers.

For the past two versions, I always go out and get Ali Sanchez. He's not very good offensively, but always seems to somehow outperform his ratings and he has a really high catcher rating and seems to always be (or turn into) a captain.

High "catcher ability" is what I look for first, and if they can hit a lick (or have good eye at the plate) and I'm good. High "catcher ability" is somewhat hidden, but I watch the games closely and the ability to frame the pitches turns a significant number of balls into called strikes. In my opinion, "catcher ability" is way more important than "catcher arm", although I wouldn't go below a 45 on the 80 scale for that.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #96
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Won a 5K perfect draft last night. Pretty excited.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #97
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Won a 5K perfect draft last night. Pretty excited.

The Perfect Drafts are a lot of fun for me. It's a perfectly (HA!) level playing field (well, aside from RNG -- I don't think every team entered gets to select from the same exact pool of players/cards). PP are a fine reward but I generally prefer to win packs. I'd rather rip a pack than bargain shop for a card. Ripping a pack feels a little like getting a pack of cards when you were a kid. Infinite possibilities. Buying on the auction house feels like the worst combination of dominance by those with more time/money/insider experience + being taken advantage of + occasionally ripping someone off. I mean, it's free market and it's fine. Just that a pack is more fun.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #98
spleen1015
Coordinator

I joined a group of folks who's goal it is to play F2P called BFF. I've learned how to get the best out of the game while staying F2P.

First, the Live mission rewards are a good place to start and get some good cards. The best SP in the game right now, Cy Young is the top reward from completing all of the missions. They may be tough to finish now because silver prices are nuts.

I play bronze tournaments, take the dupes and good cards from those packs and make PP on the AH. Used that PP to finish the Live missions.

I've won 542 packs just from playing bronze tournaments, averaging 16 packs per day. I'm just spamming Bronze Bo7 tournaments.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #99
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I joined a group of folks who's goal it is to play F2P called BFF. I've learned how to get the best out of the game while staying F2P.

First, the Live mission rewards are a good place to start and get some good cards. The best SP in the game right now, Cy Young is the top reward from completing all of the missions. They may be tough to finish now because silver prices are nuts.

I play bronze tournaments, take the dupes and good cards from those packs and make PP on the AH. Used that PP to finish the Live missions.

I've won 542 packs just from playing bronze tournaments, averaging 16 packs per day. I'm just spamming Bronze Bo7 tournaments.

I heard of that group on the OOTP Twitch shows.

I spam Iron tourneys right now. Came in first or second a few times, but nothing like the success you've hit.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #100
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I heard of that group on the OOTP Twitch shows.

I spam Iron tourneys right now. Came in first or second a few times, but nothing like the success you've hit.

Look through your tourneys and see if you see a team that has won a few times or a team that gets the finals a lot. Then copy their team.

You can also export the stats from the tournaments you enter. Summarize a few in a pivot table in Excel and you can get a good idea of who the best players to use are.