Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

Home Server Help

So, generally I'm at, or at least, used to be near the forefront of understanding on tech and how I can use it. One area where I've fallen behind is in my home server. My current setup is running Windows Home Server 2012 on an old PC, with multiple external hard drives to store files, like photos, and movies, music, etc. This set up is a dinosaur right now, and I need to move it into current times, take advantage of newer Win 10 options, whatever, and nip any potential failures going forward in the bud. My set up now is somewhat stable, but always needing some sort of maintenance or having some kind of issue. WHS 2012 has always seemed kind of buggy.

We really don't use it as a streaming media server, as we have subs Amazon music and Netflix and what have you. But, I need to be able to use it back up and restore numerous laptops for the family and as a place for file sharing and storage. Sort of our own personal family cloud. I have looked around a little bit, but it doesn't seem like there's something out there that's a good fit, right out of the box for what I'm looking for.

So what do I need? How can I get this whole thing modernized before my current set up just ages out, something fails, and I lose something I didn't want to lose. Online cloud storage feels pricey, but maybe I'm missing out on something else. Any help, ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-25-2018 at 09:22 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You might look at something like FreeNAS. I have a server set up with this with 11 3TB drives. I've ripped almost all my CDs, DVDs, HD-DVS, and Blu Rays to it. I have my other machines set up to back up to it.

It isn't as intuitive or GUI driven as WHS, but it does work really well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm looking to replace the hardware to. Looking for low maintenance, easy set up at this point. I think I've spent enough time slaving over how to make shit work with shitty parts for 2 lifetimes. I'd rather build drones now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote