Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #251
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Can you actually post to specific lists on Facebook though? I thought that was more of just a grouping within your friends list for organizational purposes.

Yep. I do it.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #252
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Is there not some sort of "friend request purgatory" like FB has where I can just leave him forever, so he can think that maybe I just didn't notice the request? (Which is actually true for me at FB. I just looked, and I had 41 pending friend requests, several of whom I would have accepted immediately had I seen them...) Is there no way to prevent me from having no contact or association with certain people?

According to Google:

When you block someone:
  • You won't see their content in the stream or on Incoming (even though you'll remain in their circles).
  • They'll be removed from any circles of yours that they appear in.
  • They'll be removed from your extended circles even if you have mutual connections.
  • They won't be able to comment on your content that was posted after they were blocked.
  • They won't be able to view content shared with your circles (although they may still see content you post publicly).
  • They won't be able to mention you in posts or comments.
When you block someone, we won't proactively notify them. But since blocking someone limits the interactions that person can have with you, they may figure out that they've been blocked.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #253
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

If I understand Ben's desire, it is similar to what I do where I simply ignore friend requests that I don't know who they are. I don't have as many waiting on me as Ben does, but I have a small handful it seems myself.

What you posted from google there seems like it puts work on me to keep people out right? Instead of just ignoring the request, by default they can just add me to a circle, and then I have to go back through later and block them if I notice them adding me?

Or am I misunderstanding how google is doing that? I definitely would like to set mine up so people can't just add me without my choosing to let them.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #254
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Also, in short it doesn't matter if someone adds you to their circle. That just means they'll see your public posts on their feed, they won't see anything you share to your circles. It works different than facebook. You add people to your circles and they add you to theirs, there is no cross confirmation.

That said, I am quite sure the fella you reference is fofc .

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-14-2011 at 03:00 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #255
wade moore
lolzcat

Ben - fwiw, that's Anal Bum Cover I believe. He's the one that got me my initial invite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #256
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Also, in short it doesn't matter if someone adds you to their circle. That just means they'll see your public posts on their feed, they won't see anything you share to your circles. It works different than facebook. You add people to your circles and they add you to theirs, there is no cross confirmation..

Just to reiterate this - it is not necessary, really, to block anyone at all. If they aren't a member of a circle you are posting to (which, I imagine, would be the case for someone you don't care about) then they will not be able to see anything you post.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #257
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So, um, another question: some dude named Rob Ordona (friend of Wade's, evidently) added me to his circles. I have no clue who this is.

Rob Ordona = AnalBumCover
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #258
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Just to reiterate this - it is not necessary, really, to block anyone at all. If they aren't a member of a circle you are posting to (which, I imagine, would be the case for someone you don't care about) then they will not be able to see anything you post.

This
Old 07-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #259
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just joined a hangout, which is basically an audio/video enabled chatroom. Was tethered off my phone in a hotel and it still worked pretty seamlessly. Nice and clean.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #260
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

If anybody can still invite, I'd like to check it out mrotoole00 at gmail.com Thanks!
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #261
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I wouldn't mind an invite as well....even though it looks like it won't do much good at the moment. scottgardiner1970 at gmail.com. Thanks in advance!
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #262
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Thanks Jeff!
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #263
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So it looks like Trillian has built in support for Google chat now, don't need to muck around with configuring Jabber. Added a GoogleTalk connection, user/pass and it connected and added contacts/circles instantly.

For people that want to get Google chat working with any Jabber client this should work for you, obviously just find the pertinent values and input to your client:
Configuring Trillian Pro for Google Talk - Google Talk Help

Other client directions:
Other IM Applications - Google Talk Help

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-14-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #264
MJ4H
Coordinator

How do I just get rid of the names it has on my list that it pulled itself from people I emailed in like 2005? Also, how do I make it show real names and not some nickname they put into Google in 2005?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #265
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like I can rename and delete in Trillian, that may just be a local system fix though.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #266
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Pretty cool slideshow on the possibilities of Google+

Just click the first photo.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #267
DanGarion
Coordinator

Fuck you Google, they completely screwed up my Google Apps account today with the migration to the new system that was supposed to add more services to Google Apps. I have to now log in to separate accounts to get half my shit to work. And of course Google+ is on the old account that I had to figure out a name to rename it to, not on my real Google Apps account that was already my second account because they fucked me over back when I created it as well. GAH.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #268
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Fuck you Google, they completely screwed up my Google Apps account today with the migration to the new system that was supposed to add more services to Google Apps. I have to now log in to separate accounts to get half my shit to work. And of course Google+ is on the old account that I had to figure out a name to rename it to, not on my real Google Apps account that was already my second account because they fucked me over back when I created it as well. GAH.

If I have this right, you might want to look at this.

HOW TO: Make a Google+ Desktop App

G+ up to 10 million already.

Google+ Users Share 1 Billion Items Per Day, Says Larry Page
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #269
MJ4H
Coordinator

This is why I'm annoyed:

Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #270
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
This is why I'm annoyed:

Ah, your Gmail contact list. You can customize this and have people not appear or appear or sometimes appear etc. Because the list is kind of ... generic ... I learned to customize it right from the beginning (of my 2nd gmail account).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #271
MJ4H
Coordinator

Tell me how please. I've tried what it says in the help file (turn off the only add people I've explicitly allowed) and it had absolutely no effect).

Also tell me how to use full google plus names if possible instead of "the cyclist"

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #272
Rizon
Pro Starter

So what you do is hover your mouse over said person's name. A little window will pop up to the right of your cursor. There is a box called MORE ... you can choose when you want to see them in chat. You can also click their name and change their contact details, including their display name.
Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #273
MJ4H
Coordinator

So now I have zero people showing up at all after blocking the gmail people (and readding circles). Great. Also, I would hope I don't have to manually edit hundreds of people's names. I'm serious, this is enough to make me give up on this if this doesn't get fixed.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-14-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #274
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I have to imagine they'll improve the chat client. When? No clue.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #275
Rizon
Pro Starter

You're talking about within Gmail, right?
Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #276
MJ4H
Coordinator

I've had enough. Completely uninterested until then. Someone PM me or something.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #277
Rizon
Pro Starter

I knew it was borked up from an old address I used long ago, and manually edited and added people as time went on in my 2nd gmail account, so yeah, I feel you.
Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #278
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
You're talking about within Gmail, right?

I went into G+ cleared out all the circles.
I went into GMail, clicked "never show" for all the ones left.
Went back into G+ and readded the circles I wanted to chat.

Completely fucking blank. No one.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #279
MJ4H
Coordinator

And now my circles are completely empty. This thing is fantastic. NO REALLY IT IS.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #280
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, if IM is your killer must have feature and nothing else much matters then this isn't going to do it for you. Clearly the majority of the development cycle wasn't spent on IM.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #281
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, if IM is your killer must have feature and nothing else much matters then this isn't going to do it for you. Clearly the majority of the development cycle wasn't spent on IM.

Well, trying to clear out people from GMail chat has completely wiped out every person I've ever added to a circle. So clearly, no, this isn't going to work for me.

And it isn't a killer must have feature, but it is a major selling point (hangout--video chat--is one of the big things people are touting). But this makes facebook chat (which is awful) look like a beautiful thing.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-14-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #282
Rizon
Pro Starter

Sucks man. I don't ever use Gmail chat so I'm not familiar with it at all. Trying to find G+ chat and tinker around with it. Other than that that's all the help I can give ya.
Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #283
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I would at least take it to the G+ support forums so it helps them sort it out.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #284
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think you may have missed this:
Quote:
Is there no way to prevent me from having no contact or association with certain people? Some of the dudes I grew up with are some *very* sketchy characters, and I have no desire to be circle-jerkers with them.
There are simply too many people I grew up with who are simply too dangerous and unpredictable. I'm not talking "guys I knew by name," but "guys I played basketball with just about every evening some summers until I went off to college."

There are two individuals in particular with extensive criminal records who have tried to contact me on FB. If I didn't have a family, I'd be ok with it. But in my current life, I don't want them to know I blocked them, and I do not want my name associated with them in any way, shape, or form--including being in their circles. One of them fairly recently contacted a friend of mine, claiming to be my cousin, which he is not. (We have the same last name and grew up in the same neighborhood, but no relatives on my father's side have ever lived anywhere near my home town.) The friend happens to be an attorney, and the miscreant was trying to use my name to help convince my friend to "get some things expunged from my criminal record." The other dude got out of 15ish years of prison last year for aggravated sodomy, rape, and kidnapping. Both currently sit in Friend Request Purgatory on FB, so they don't know for *sure* that I want nothing to do with them. I'd like to think that I'm "out of sight, out of mind" to these guys. These are the types of people I prefer not to piss off. I'm perfectly willing to shoot to kill to protect my family and/or myself, but I'd rather do what I can to avoid being put in that sort of situation. *shurg*
Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #285
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Rob Ordona = AnalBumCover
AND WHY DON'T YOU USE THE NAME ANALBUMCOVER IN YOUR SOCIAL NETWORKS????!!!!!!1

Ok, got it. No worries.

And to be clear, I *want* to like this and for it to be an easy transition. I just don't see it happening, though.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #286
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
This is why I'm annoyed:

Pat Hutchins is path12 and Vince Cressio is Vince Pt. II
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #287
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to figure out why google+ thinks that I should add Alyssa Milano to one of my circles?

Is google+ that sophisticated to know that I had a crush on her back in the 1980s??

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #288
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know, but I'm gonna add her. That increases the chances of us hooking up right?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #289
Ben E Lou

Heh, cuerv just made a great point...

Quote:
9:27:59 am [cuervo72]: trying to wrap my head around these G+ circles still
9:28:29 am [cuervo72]: have to be some settings I'm missing
9:28:56 am [cuervo72]: like Ben is saying, gee, ok Mr. Convicted felon can add him to a circle
9:29:10 am [cuervo72]: and...everyone can see this?
9:30:42 am [cuervo72]: see politicians start popping up in bimbos' circles
9:41:56 am [cuervo72]: morning champ
9:42:01 am [Morgado]: hey ben
9:42:10 am [Ben E Lou]: "9:30:42 am [cuervo72]: see politicians start popping up in bimbos'
circles"----heh
9:42:19 am [Ben E Lou]: didn't think about that, but yeah
9:42:54 am [Morgado]: lolz
9:42:58 am [Ben E Lou]: high-priced hookers with their senator in their circle ftmfw!!!
9:43:11 am [cuervo72]: yy
Ben E Lou now approves of Google+, just for the potential mayhem
9:43:29 am [Morgado]: Paging Eliot Spitzer and David Vitter
9:43:36 am [cuervo72]: right right
cuervo72 was going to use Spitzer but forgot the bimbo name
9:44:00 am [cuervo72]: even just regular folks though
9:44:17 am [Morgado]: Spitzer is doin alright, tho - his show tanked, but they kept him on for the
replacement show
9:44:29 am [cuervo72]: "who is this girl whose circle you're in, hmmmm?"
9:44:38 am [Ben E Lou]: oh lord
9:44:45 am [Ben E Lou]: yeah...mayhem
Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #290
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Its just a change people will get used to(for the better imho). Its not any different than twitter. Who's circles you are in is just people that want to hear what you say, not vice versa. No one cares if some hooker is following a politician until the politician starts messaging her back.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-15-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #291
Ben E Lou

I'll bet some wives will care what women are following their husbands...
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #292
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I absolutely can agree with not wanting certain people to be able to associate with you. My sister in law is a festering pile of dogshit, and I want nothing to do with her. However, if her dumb ass does move to Google+, I'm sure she would try to get into our business. I have no desire to communicate with her at all.

And every couple years this dickhead from freshman year tries to make contact with all of us. This dude stole a lot of our stuff. I obviously never want to talk to or hear from him again, but something like Google+ would draw him out of the woodwork I bet.

Anyways, it's amazing that someone rapes/etc and is out of jail in the time that I've been out of HS. I can absolutely see why Ben wouldn't want to ever have to deal with those guys again.

Last edited by stevew : 07-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #293
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Really think you are equating it to much to how friends work in facebook. Circles do not equate to someone you know well. Especially since no one but you can see how people are organized. I understand you're point but I really think its a non-issue. I suspect if this takes off most people will have far more people in their circles than they are in others.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #294
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I mean I don't want to drop the whole fear of change phrase, comes off sounding disrespectful and that's not my intention, but in reguards to this specific issue that's really what it is.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #295
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I mean I don't want to drop the whole fear of change phrase, comes off sounding disrespectful and that's not my intention, but in reguards to this specific issue that's really what it is.
Tell me how that is. If I'm in his circles, I am associated with a rapist. If I block him, I have done more to potentially piss off a rapist than merely pretending I never saw the request.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #296
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Its not any different than twitter.
...and I don't really use twitter, either. I have an account, but I've found very little use for it.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-15-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #297
spleen1015
Coordinator

He doesn't get to see anything you post unless you put him in one of your circles and post to the circle he is in.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #298
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He doesn't get to see anything you post unless you put him in one of your circles and post to the circle he is in.
I get that. But I see no way to prevent someone from broadcasting to the world that he has some association or connection to me. Am I wrong about that?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #299
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't know how you can prevent that.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #300
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I don't really consider you associated with him and I think people understand this, or if they don't now they will.

And I do not use twitter either, but it does work the same and has not been a concern. So I made the comparison.