Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

We Are East Westphalia (FM 15)

It's been a long time since I tried a Football Manager career outside England, and an even longer time since I tried writing about it. I haven't abandoned my Anglian adventure, but I've been finding myself distracted by the opportunity to try my hand at something new.

I usually download a database that opens up leagues farther down the pyramid than the ones included in the game. This time, I'm going to start out with a bigger club. My players won't be as adorably flawed, but they'll be able to do more cool things. I think I might know enough about the game by now that I won't completely break a bigger team.

I decided to begin my tale in Germany this time. I took a long time figuring out what club I wanted to manage and, in the end, I enlisted the help of my daughters. They are 11 and 8, and they like to wake up on weekend mornings and watch the Premier League or the Bundesliga with me. I'm not sure what criteria weighed most heavily in their decision; Little Sis is a connoisseur of club badges, and both girls have an artist's eye for color.

After some deliberation, they returned with their verdict. I'm taking the controls at Deutscher Sportclub Arminia Bielefeld.

Die Arminen (or Die Blauen, if you prefer) are located in the city of Bielefeld. They play in 3. Liga, the third division of German football. They're a much bigger club than I usually manage. For one thing, Die Blauen play in a real stadium, a very cool vintage football ground built back in 1926. Its traditional name, Bielefelder Alm, refers to a club member's declaration that the addition of a few cows would make it resemble an alm (an Alpine meadow). Now it's called SchücoArena, thanks to a sponsorship deal with a local company that makes solar panels.

I learned that Arminius was a German chieftain whose army wrecked three Roman legions at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD. I like that fighting spirit.

The German phrases on their crest are cool, too. "Wir Sind Ostwestfalen" means "We Are East Westphalia," and relates to the region the team calls home. Both my daughters giggled over the idea of "East Westphalia."

"Stur" means "stubborn," and "hartnäckig" could translate to "obstinate," "tenacious," or "tough." "Kämpferisch" means "combative," a trait Arminius would certainly appreciate. I wouldn't mind creating a team with those qualities, a resolute, tough, battling club who won't back down.

I'm not sure how much of this my girls knew when they picked Arminia for me, but they ended up doing a fine job. So, now We Are East Westphalia, and I hope that's the case for a long time.

Please feel free to comment anytime. I enjoy knowing someone's out there, following along.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-07-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 August 2014

The preseason is complete, and today is the first matchday in the Third Division. Let's get to know the players who will pull on the blue, black, and white shirts of Arminia Bielefeld as the season begins.

The league rules stipulate that I must include at least four German U23 players in my matchday squad. I like this rule, because it encourages me and my rival managers to develop home-grown talent.

The star ratings come to you courtesy of Benjamin Müller, my Assistant Manager.

Goalkeepers

The first thing I noticed when I took over die Blauen was the lack of a solid goalkeeper. I didn't feel comfortable with Schünemann as my starter--at least not yet--and the second best 'keeper is only 16, which makes him too young to play in first team matches.

Marafioti was the best option I could afford to bring in. He's a solid gloveman with no real weaknesses, unless you count his age. Ciro is comfortable with the ball at his feet, so I can use him as a sweeper keeper if I want.

Defenders

Right back Walther is one of the team's best players. He is a do-everything fullback who likes to get forward, but without neglecting his defensive duties. Christoph is also our most accomplished set piece taker, and his long flat throw is a valuable weapon.

Maier will start at left back. He is much the same kind of player as Walther, with a little less positional awareness, but with the same high motor.

van der Ven has just begun training again after suffering a knee injury in our first friendly match, so I've barely had a chance to see him in action. I've never seen a center back with so much pace (19)!! and he is also a commanding aerial presence.

Karow, another big, strong center half, will probably be the Flying Dutchman's partner. I'm using a Ball Playing Defender with this team, hoping to do something more than simply hammer the ball up the pitch and hope our guys get there first. Karow looks like he'll be OK in this role.

Keep an eye out for Noorlander, whom I signed on a free transfer. He's a determined, hard-working young player whose passing ability should make him an outstanding creative defender one day.

Bock is a valuable player, too. He's not only a capable center back; he can also do a job as a holding midfielder. For that matter, so can Noorlander. Sebastian also gets points for his name, which cries out for the addition of the nickname "Johann."

Buck is a solid, versatile squad player. He's paid fairly well for this role, but he's content with it, so he's worth keeping in the team.

Bauer, Ziereis, and Schönwälder are natural midfielders, so we'll meet them there.

Midfielders

Bielefeld turn out to be quite well suited for my favorite formation, a simple 4-4-2 with relatively standard roles.

My best options on the right wing, Vogel or Schönwälder, are very similar players. They are fast and hard-working, and neither is technically sharp. If I want a little less pace and a little more skill, I can call on young Hartmann.

On the other side, I have a choice to make between Kern and Ziereis. Kern expects to be in the first team, while Ziereis is content to be a backup, but I won't let that be the deciding factor. They're close enough that I'll probably give both men playing time and see who wins the spot.

I am very pleased with my options in the middle of the park. Schuster is an all-action midfielder who can play a variety of roles well. Most of the other central midfielders are more defensive-minded players, like Bauer and John, so Max will often be employed higher up the pitch, serving as our main creator. Both Bauer and John are hard-tackling, no-nonsense midfield presences, and I have more of the same in Noorlander and Bock.

Veteran Bade is versatile, but he's set to leave on a free transfer when his contract runs out. I'll use him when I need him, rather than taking playing time away from younger players like Arbogast, Kost, and Hartmann.

Forwards

I've had success with a classic "big man, little man" strike partnership, and I think that will work with die Arminen, too.

Kaufmann is our team's main man and the club's captain. There's nothing flashy about his game; he's a big, strong, aggressive target man who gives nothing away to the league's most formidable defenders. Larger clubs are expressing some interest in buying him, but his contract has two more years to run and he's happy here. In other words, he's not going anywhere.

Even if I lose Markus, I have a younger version of him in Gärtner. Neither of them are the most agile of strikers, but they're both surprisingly fast and athletic.

Meier's composure and concentration could use improvement, but he's the best of the "little men." If he keeps his head in the game so he can take advantage of his pace and skill, he'll be just fine.

Schuster, Vogel, and Kern can also lead the line, so I have a variety of options here, too.

Arminia were relegated last season, and the board are looking for me to lead them back to the second flight. The team to beat will almost certainly be Dortmund II, but I don't think they can be promoted. That makes us the favorite to go up...so the board might not be patient with me unless we start the season on the front foot.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-07-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
thehitcat
H.S. Freshman Team

Looking good! Can't wait to get into it with the East Westphalians (you're daughters are right, that's hilarious. It's similar to the town of West, Texas which is in the Northeastern part of the Lone Star state.)
thehitcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitcat View Post
Looking good! Can't wait to get into it with the East Westphalians (you're daughters are right, that's hilarious. It's similar to the town of West, Texas which is in the Northeastern part of the Lone Star state.)

Thanks, thehitcat. I've had a lot of fun getting to know the players, and I hope all of you will, too. I hope you'll keep following, and please feel free to comment anytime. I don't find it to be distracting or intrusive.

I'll probably write monthly updates, and I'll be back with the first one later today.

[Update:] You know what they say about the best-laid plans, right? I ended up not having time to write the promised post last week. Hopefully that will happen later today.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-15-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 September 2014

One month into the season, it’s safe to say Arminia Bielefeld are living up to expectations. Fueled by the goal-scoring prowess of hitman Alexander Meier, die Blauen find themselves second in the league, behind a Dresden side that is yet to taste defeat.

I’m surprised to see two of the Bundesliga clubs’ reserve sides at the bottom of the table. I have a feeling they won’t stay down there for long.

We hated to be out of the German Cup so early, but we had an especially tough draw, against a Hamburg side that is currently second in the Bundesliga. A big crowd came out to SchücoArena to watch us, and we put up a heck of a fight before their superior class finally won out.

Meier opened his season with a hat trick at Osnabrück, and delighted the home crowd with another three-goal haul in the final fixture of August. His seven goals make him the league’s top scorer, and he was a worthy choice for Player of the Month in the Third Division.

He wasn’t the only Bielefeld player who played well in August. His strike partner, Markus Kaufmann, is one of three players at the top of the assist chart, with three. Veteran goalkeeper Ciro Marafioti has the highest average rating among the league’s glovemen, and defenders Luc van der Ven and Christoph Walther are ranked among the best at their positions, too. As expected, van der Ven has been dominant in the air; no player in the league has contributed more key headers than the Flying Dutchman. We've conceded only one goal in four league games, so I couldn't be happier with our defensive work.

Marafioti and van der Ven have both been named to the Team of the Week, and Meier has been selected twice.

I’m also pleased with the play of Rudi Noorlander. The young center back played key roles in two of Meier’s goals against Fortuna Köln, splitting their defense with perfectly weighted long passes. Rudi doesn’t possess the defensive awareness of Fred-Werner Karow, but his ability to trigger the attack makes him a valuable weapon.

The transfer deadline passed without any activity on our part. Two or three Division Two clubs had expressed some interest in Kaufmann, but none of them made an offer. I’m not sure I would have considered them, anyway; it would take a very sizable chunk of change to make me part with the popular club captain.