Grizzled Veteran

I'll work on Gladhandling
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #202
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I think we should consider all posting our area of specialization. What it can do is make it know exactly how many units of work should be completed on a specific job and will show us where and if there is faked work. I'm also guessing (but I am definitely not sure) that wolves do not have an area of specialization and thus the wolves are forced to lie about it or risk having other villagers become trusted.

I want some discussion on this, but I don't see a downside to this yet.

Why put it out there right up front? I will be happy to volunteer for a specific task when it looks like my specialty will help, but it seems advantageous for the company folk to know for sure who can do what.

So I'm not inclined at all to divulge that info yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #203
Danny
Head Coach

Dubb, Jeheinz and Clap should be the only ones on Gladhandling. If someone is lying, we will know it tomorrow.

Since we have 20 players and 8 possible specialties, having three people revealed does not mean anyone is lying.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #204
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Why put it out there right up front? I will be happy to volunteer for a specific task when it looks like my specialty will help, but it seems advantageous for the company folk to know for sure who can do what.

Considering we all have one and they won't know what is coming next, I don't see how it helps them more than it helps us.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #205
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
My bsdar is starting to get pinged. Three gladhandlers at this point and not a single other specialty has more than one at this point. I guess we play the wait and see game for everyone to reveal.

Mine is one that has already been mentioned, though not useful for either converting the camp or searching.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #206
path12
Coordinator

Since gladhanding appears full, I'm available for either orating or the rescue mission. Will be around later and put in my action then.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #207
Danny
Head Coach

If someone is an orator it would definitely be helpful to come out as such, so we can send as many as possible on the mission.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #208
RendeR
Coordinator

I am also good a searching. I will go on the mission.

RENDER JOINS MISSION
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #209
RendeR
Coordinator

It would appear that there are ar least 2 of everything, if not 3. This is both good and bad, good inthat it gives us duplicates of the things we will need any given day, bad because it leaves the doors wide open for the sympathizers to lie through their fangs..err teeth.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #210
RendeR
Coordinator

I'll be out till late tonight.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK, still getting caught up, but I really don't like the way Barkeep and Danny made the decision for the rest of us that we should all share our skill. Barkeep going as far as to say he expects others to share.

Am I the only one who thinks it is a very poor idea to clue the wolves into what we are good at?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #212
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Dubb, Jeheinz and Clap should be the only ones on Gladhandling. If someone is lying, we will know it tomorrow.

still catching up but man do I totally disagree with this.

I think it is better to win the camp today by over voting actions then it is to try and cut it close to the vest, lose the camp and have a 2/3 chance of ousting a villager.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #213
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I think it is better to win the camp today by over voting actions then it is to try and cut it close to the vest, lose the camp and have a 2/3 chance of ousting a villager.

This seemed to help a lot in the cathedral game, obviously we are still learning mechanics here, so we don't exactly know what kind of an effect losing one day has. I still don't really see how revealing specialties hurts us when we all have them.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #214
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This seemed to help a lot in the cathedral game, obviously we are still learning mechanics here, so we don't exactly know what kind of an effect losing one day has. I still don't really see how revealing specialties hurts us when we all have them.

IIRC the cathedral game required someone to be voted out everyday. In this game if we convert the camp we don't have to lynch someone the next day, and the reality of it is 80% of the time we will be lynching a villager.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just checking in, need to read the rules again to see what's going on
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #216
Autumn
Head Coach

Do we know how many units of things it takes to succeed?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #217
Autumn
Head Coach

Ugh, I wrote something and it done got ate.

I was wondering about what the implications of missions will be. Does it help the Sympathizers for the group to fail at a mission? I wonder if similar to Hoopsguy's Marvel game, there is something at stake in the missions that could fall to us or them depending on how the mission goes.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #218
TheNorm
Mascot

Checking in--will be in and out sporadically the next few hours; 24 and playoff hockey will most likely have my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post

I'm also more inclined to agree with this. It looks like you've got gladhandling covered so I'll help out on either the mission or the oration.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #219
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If someone is an orator it would definitely be helpful to come out as such, so we can send as many as possible on the mission.

Danny, you missed my work earlier on oration. More importantly though, I'll come out and say it. I'm an orator x3. I'm not caught up but should I "unwork" and go on the mission?
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #220
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Checking in--will be in and out sporadically the next few hours; 24 and playoff hockey will most likely have my attention.

I'm also more inclined to agree with this. It looks like you've got gladhandling covered so I'll help out on either the mission or the oration.

Playoff hockey would have my attention but my Penguins have already advanced. A certain someone here can eat it.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #221
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think it is a mistake to cut tasks close. We alaso have no idea if the wolves have a way to prevent someone from completing their task
Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #222
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so is anyones skill not X3?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #223
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Playoff hockey would have my attention but my Penguins have already advanced. A certain someone here can eat it.

i hate you
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #224
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
i hate you

Are you sure you don't hate the Flyers for betraying you?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #225
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you sure you don't hate the Flyers for betraying you?

no, just you, the flyers will get to firing players shortly
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #226
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Can we oust The Jackal the way the Penguins ousted the Flyers?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #227
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Can we oust The Jackal the way the Penguins ousted the Flyers?

you'll be golfing shortly enough
Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #228
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, I'm done now. I actually thought the Flyers had us if they would've kept up the physically play. As their physical play dropped off, so did their chances on winning.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #229
The Jackal
Coordinator

can i go on a mission to hit him in the head with a shovel instead of the main one?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #230
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Alright, I'm done now. I actually thought the Flyers had us if they would've kept up the physically play. As their physical play dropped off, so did their chances on winning.

Yeah, just a few too many holes and some piss poor luck, and the Penguins managed to close at the end there. Ah well.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #231
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

And I hate to say it but the Penguins might spoil my dreams of Steelers Super Bowl Champs, Penguins Cup Champs, and the resurgent Pirates winning...81 games.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #232
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

We have three things to do. Why waste resources on the two things we can quantify when we also have a goal we don't know what it will take to succeed at (nor the benefits/consequences of success/failure). I agree some duplication is good, so having the 10 units of work for gladhandling strikes me fine, but how much overkill do you propose? I hear you echoing my point that we don't need to lynch to win in this game, but it seems to me that we are better off succeeding that failing the missions.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #233
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
OK, still getting caught up, but I really don't like the way Barkeep and Danny made the decision for the rest of us that we should all share our skill. Barkeep going as far as to say he expects others to share.

Am I the only one who thinks it is a very poor idea to clue the wolves into what we are good at?
Tell me why I'm wrong. As Danny mentioned, cooperation in the cathedral game was helpful. In fact many of my games have required the villagers to cooperate in an uncertain environment. The more they did so, whether it was To Crown a King, Spawn, or Cathedral, the better they did. I'm pretty excited to play in a game that requires this mechanic rather be hosting one since I think I have real insight having developed and watched a bunch of them. That's why I think I'm right that we should share. Tell me how, if we reveal widely, the wolves are going to have better luck picking us off?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

With 20 people we should be able to complete those tasks.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #235
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

1894 – After Eugene V. Debs organizes the Pullman strike, the Sherman Anti-Trust Act is first used, not to break up companies or protect consumers, but to prosecute and jail union strikers.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #236
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Tell me how, if we reveal widely, the wolves are going to have better luck picking us off?

I don't know how and I don't know enough about the mechanics of the game yet.

I do know that giving wolves info helps them, and the way you and Danny decided in a span of about 10 posts that we all are expected to reveal struck me as really off.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #237
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

Since we have 20 players and 8 possible specialties, having three people revealed does not mean anyone is lying.
To recap here are the specialities we know about so far:
Searching
Gladhandling
Oratory
Treasury
Hunting

Half the players have revealed. I admit to growing somewhat concerned about our trio of gladhandlers at this point.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #238
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know how and I don't know enough about the mechanics of the game yet.

I do know that giving wolves info helps them, and the way you and Danny decided in a span of about 10 posts that we all are expected to reveal struck me as really off.
You keep asserting that the wolves gain from info. You are so wrong. It's the villagers who benefit from info. We have to work together. This let's us work together. It also means that if someone fakes a role we are more likely to catch it. The fact that everyone has a role is in the rules, so it's not like this shoudl take the wolves by surprise. Villager cooperation? A good thing. You can be suspicious by nature, that's fine. But making sure we complete our work AND our mission each day indicates to me that we should share rather than waste unnecessary people on tasks.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #239
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just don't trust barkeep this game.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #240
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
1894 – After Eugene V. Debs organizes the Pullman strike, the Sherman Anti-Trust Act is first used, not to break up companies or protect consumers, but to prosecute and jail union strikers.

Are we in a time machine?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #241
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I will occasionally post historically interesting posts, and they will all come from real history. The purpose is both to teach and to entertain by fleshing out the game. Enjoy!

From the rules Poli

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #242
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Are you suggesting I DON'T READ THE RULES??

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #243
Autumn
Head Coach

I agree, so far, Barkeep. I can't find any real downside to revealing. Until we see a person being blocked in the act, I don't think we have to assume it's possible.

I think it's fine to not cut it too close. But I haven't thought of any reason people shouldn't reveal their specialities, other than to make things easier for the wolves.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #244
Poli
FOFC Survivor

PS

I still haven't.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #245
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I just don't trust barkeep this game.

Lathum, I'm not sold on the revealing thing either but I think this is a huge jump to make from that.

To my recollection BK has always been a consistent advocate of villagers sharing information that may help. And he makes a good point insofar as many of his games have had a similar mechanic and he's observed all of those.

In my opinion his suggestion can be agreed or disagreed with, but don't turn this into a likely villager/villager pissing match so quickly. At least he put an idea out there.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #246
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I was wondering about what the implications of missions will be. Does it help the Sympathizers for the group to fail at a mission?

It makes sense to me that if we are not seen as willing to help rescue fellow miners that it will be tough to convert this camp over to the union.

So in that sense, yeah, I think it would help the Sympathizers for us to fail at this mission.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have no desire to engage in a pissing match, there is just something about his early play that creeps me out.

That being said I don't have a skill that can help us today so I will go where everyone thinks is best.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #248
Autumn
Head Coach

It certainly seems in the Sympathizers favor to keep that information quiet, or incomplete. They will undoubtedly be busy faking work and it will be near impossible to catch them at it if we don't know what people can do and how well they can do it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #249
Autumn
Head Coach

For the moment I will work on the Orating requirement. It seems we only have 4 units on it right now and I can supply one.l

WORK ON ORATING
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #250
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
It certainly seems in the Sympathizers favor to keep that information quiet, or incomplete. They will undoubtedly be busy faking work and it will be near impossible to catch them at it if we don't know what people can do and how well they can do it.

I don't disagree that it is probably in the best interest. What I don't like is how people rushed headlong into doing it.