Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #16151
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It sounds like Atlanta also has longer wait times and fewer health care professionals than where I grew up in Boston. But that's not too surprising with the number of universities and the focus on health care companies in the Boston area, so I know I should be careful projecting that experience towards other parts of the country.

Down here in Charlotte it's still got a decent amount of hospitals etc compared to the rest of the state, but there's also been huge class action lawsuits for monopolization etc, so I'm guessing wait times aren't too bad but costs are higher than they should/could be.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #16152
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess some shit went down in West Virginia that would normally be good for a few days of news cycles, but instead it's a blip and nothing more. That's crazy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:26 AM   #16153
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You all should read An American Sickness: How Health Care Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back by Elisabeth Rosenthal.

I never actually got to the "take it back" part. I got too pissed off at how we're all getting fucked by Big Pharma, Health Insurance, Hospitals, the big banks that support them and the politicians being bribed/lobbied to look the other way or keep the system in place.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #16154
Thomkal
Head Coach

House Judiciary sends over 80 people associated with Trump/Trump Org document requests for their investigation into corruption and obstruction of justice. Just about everybody who's been named in connection to Mueller/Russia/ethical violations are on the list including Donald Trump Jr, Kushner, Trump campaign. I think one of the few missing is Ivanka
Old 03-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #16155
PilotMan
Head Coach

At least he's consistent, but no government shutdown this time.

The NDSU Bison football team went to the White House today and trump brought out the fast food buffet again. Why? Why even have any food at all?

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-04-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #16156
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Libertarian in me asks why spend any money on food at all or invite a football team for that matter?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #16157
JPhillips
General Manager

Traditionally the President pays for the food for these events with private money. My guess is Trump desperately wants to fit in with what he thinks college students are like while also spending as little money as possible.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #16158
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The Libertarian in me asks why spend any money on food at all or invite a football team for that matter?

Well don't worry cause there will never be a Libertarian in the white house.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #16159
molson
General Manager

I think it's somebody in the administration's attempt to make Trump look more folksy. Somebody else might have gotten away with it. Who cares what the athletes eat? I don't think I ever expected they had some luxury spread. A regular box lunch kind of thing would probably cost less than fast food at those volumes.

Last edited by molson : 03-05-2019 at 12:33 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #16160
Thomkal
Head Coach

Former white house lawyer Ty Cobb says Mueller is an "american hero"

Former White House lawyer Ty Cobb calls Mueller 'an American hero' - POLITICO
Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #16161
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
At least he's consistent, but no government shutdown this time.

The NDSU Bison football team went to the White House today and trump brought out the fast food buffet again. Why? Why even have any food at all?

With the wealth of idiocy this President and administration engages in, this seems like way too small a thing to be concerned about.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #16162
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
With the wealth of idiocy this President and administration engages in, this seems like way too small a thing to be concerned about.

Fast food for thought.

*drops mic*
Old 03-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #16163
Thomkal
Head Coach

Paul Manafort's sentencing today around 3:30 (the first one)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #16164
JPhillips
General Manager

Another item for the things that should be scandals but won't be:

The President's son-in-law, who was denied a security clearance until his father-in-law overruled those responsible for the clearances, met with Saudi officials without including anyone from the State Department and so far has refused to release any details of the meetings.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #16165
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Paul Manafort's sentencing today around 3:30 (the first one)

Judge denies Manafort's lawyers asking for leniency on foreign banking and tax offenses. Now moving on to discussing the severity of his mortgage fraud.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #16166
QuikSand
lolzcat

Brown out, won't run for Pres. Maybe we should start counting the Dems who aren't running, it feels like a shorter list.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #16167
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Judge denies Manafort's lawyers asking for leniency on foreign banking and tax offenses. Now moving on to discussing the severity of his mortgage fraud.

Judge rules Mana does not get credit today for accepting responsibility for his crimes. Basically because he hasn't. But judge noted Manafort spent over 50 hours talking to Mueller.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #16168
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

47 months. America is awful.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #16169
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I've known people sentenced for longer for selling ecstasy
Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #16170
RainMaker
General Manager

Texas woman jailed for five years for 'accidental' voter fraud - BBC News
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #16171
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

You see, she hasn't "lived an otherwise blameless life.”
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #16172
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wow, its like the judge completely ignored Manafort's history-a blameless life? I'm sure his daughter would not agree. And he even gave a lesser sentence than the defense asked for. Disgusting.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #16173
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Weird. The North Carolina judges were much more understanding. Korean green card holder avoid prison time for illegal voting in NC | Raleigh News & Observer
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #16174
JPhillips
General Manager

Somehow the Miami Herald found out the owner of the spas busted in Miami was at Mar-a-Lago for the Super Bowl party.

And there's a selfie with her and Trump.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...227186429.html
Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #16175
QuikSand
lolzcat

Krugman finds the nail I have been fondling here on and off, and just hammers it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/o...p-deficit.html

Money quote:

Quote:
What about the ignorance? As many people have pointed out to no avail, Trump is all wrong about what trade deficits do. True, at times of high unemployment deficits can cost us jobs. But in normal times they don’t reduce overall employment, nor do they make us poorer.

On the contrary, other countries are sending us valuable goods and services, which we’re paying for with pieces of paper — paper that pays very low interest rates. Who’s winning, again?

Beyond that, however, Trump is completely wrong about what causes trade deficits in the first place. In fact, his own policies have provided an object lesson in the falsity of his vision.

In the Trumpian universe, trade deficits happen because we made bad deals — we let foreigners sell their stuff here, but they won’t let us sell our stuff there. So the solution is to throw up barriers to foreign products. “I am a Tariff Man,” he proudly proclaimed.

The reality, however, is that trade deficits have almost nothing to do with tariffs or other restrictions on trade. The overall trade deficit is always equal to the difference between domestic investment spending and domestic saving (both private and public). That’s just accounting.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #16176
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Somehow the Miami Herald found out the owner of the spas busted in Miami was at Mar-a-Lago for the Super Bowl party.

It sometimes feels like we are beta-testing a political sim. And the feedback is going to be like "First, this is a really fun idea, and I'm excited for when this gets released! I do think, though, that there are some issues with the 'stickiness' of the parties' bases. Last night, I ran a scenario where I made a candidate who had very low intelligence and temperament and wisdom and ethics. I gave him high charisma and gave his opponent maximum unlikability so he could just barely get elected. I then wanted to see how badly he could lose re-election. So I pretty much set major scandals and crimes to be revealed every week (I'm talking like collusion with enemy countries and stuff and pictures of him with human traffickers). And I also just had him do nothing (I know that the the developer said that he was going to come up with effects for the 'executive time' setting, but I'm just using it in beta to fill out the schedule with no actual work (In my head, I'm pretending that the President is just sitting in bed watching TV for 8 hours a day, lol)). And every time he meets with a foreign leader in a summit, I have nothing happen from it.

"It would seem that this should tank his approval, right? But it is just sitting at 45%, and nothing is changing it. I understand that each party has a 'base' and the engine won't have a guy get, like, zero votes. But I am wondering how much our actions will matter if someone trying to lose cannot get below 45% approval. What do y'all think about that?"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #16177
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It sometimes feels like we are beta-testing a political sim. And the feedback is going to be like "First, this is a really fun idea, and I'm excited for when this gets released! I do think, though, that there are some issues with the 'stickiness' of the parties' bases. Last night, I ran a scenario where I made a candidate who had very low intelligence and temperament and wisdom and ethics. I gave him high charisma and gave his opponent maximum unlikability so he could just barely get elected. I then wanted to see how badly he could lose re-election. So I pretty much set major scandals and crimes to be revealed every week (I'm talking like collusion with enemy countries and stuff and pictures of him with human traffickers). And I also just had him do nothing (I know that the the developer said that he was going to come up with effects for the 'executive time' setting, but I'm just using it in beta to fill out the schedule with no actual work (In my head, I'm pretending that the President is just sitting in bed watching TV for 8 hours a day, lol)). And every time he meets with a foreign leader in a summit, I have nothing happen from it.

"It would seem that this should tank his approval, right? But it is just sitting at 45%, and nothing is changing it. I understand that each party has a 'base' and the engine won't have a guy get, like, zero votes. But I am wondering how much our actions will matter if someone trying to lose cannot get below 45% approval. What do y'all think about that?"

This is gold. Thank you. I so badly want to steal it.

Like Steam?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #16178
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

This is beautiful. And immensely depressing. So, just about right for the current times, well done!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #16179
QuikSand
lolzcat

+++so good
Old 03-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #16180
Thomkal
Head Coach

House passes along party lines a bill that requires presidents to release their tax returns.

House passes bill to require presidents to disclose their tax returns | TheHill
Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #16181
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump surveys tornado damage in Alabama, then signs Bibles for survivors.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #16182
PilotMan
Head Coach

He wrote that, right?

Like Steam?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #16183
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
He wrote that, right?

I'm sure his followers think so
Old 03-08-2019, 11:29 PM   #16184
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Krugman finds the nail I have been fondling here on and off, and just hammers it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/o...p-deficit.html

Quote:
Money quote:
In the Trumpian universe, trade deficits happen because we made bad deals — we let foreigners sell their stuff here, but they won’t let us sell our stuff there. So the solution is to throw up barriers to foreign products. “I am a Tariff Man,” he proudly proclaimed.

The reality, however, is that trade deficits have almost nothing to do with tariffs or other restrictions on trade. The overall trade deficit is always equal to the difference between domestic investment spending and domestic saving (both private and public). That’s just accounting.

Interesting. I do believe in the first bolded for the most part when talking about China and not sure I really understand the second bolded (and don't have anymore free nytimes read).

Trade deficits are when imports exceeds exports so not sure what that has to do with domestic investment spending. Appreciate anyone able to shed some light here.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:20 AM   #16185
Edward64
Head Coach

Go shale oil ... but only for enough time where Tesla or like can become the norm. Hate being under the yoke of ME oil.

But from what I understand, there's a difference between oil quality and we will still need some oil from ME and Venezuela.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/busin...bia/index.html
Quote:
Move over, Saudi Arabia. America is about to steal the kingdom's energy exporting crown.

The United States will surpass Saudi Arabia later this year in exports of oil, natural gas liquids and petroleum products, like gasoline, according to energy research firm Rystad Energy.

That milestone, driven by the transformative shale boom, would make the United States the world's leading exporter of oil and liquids. That has never happened since Saudi Arabia began selling oil overseas in the 1950s, Rystad said in a report Thursday.

"It's nothing short of remarkable," said Ryan Fitzmaurice, energy strategist at Rabobank. "Ten years ago, no one thought it could happen."

The expected breakthrough reflects how technology has reshaped the global energy landscape. Drilling innovations have opened up huge swaths of oil and natural gas resources that had been trapped in shale oilfields in Texas, North Dakota and elsewhere.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:33 AM   #16186
Edward64
Head Coach

Some pictures of unauthorized immigration. Puts some humanity into the discussion and from both sides.

Migrants surrender to US Border Patrol agents | 1 | New York Post

Mistakes have obviously been made (most egregious is how we screwed up separating kids from parents) but would like to think 98% of Border Patrol etc. are enforcing laws compassionately.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #16187
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Now this goes from embarrassing to a real scandal. MotherJones is reporting that the owner of the spas has been advertising her ability to connect Chinese business people with the President and Minister of Commerce and even arrange White house and Capitol Hill dinners.

If she was so open about her activities just imagine what's going on at Mar-a-Lago with people who don't want their activities to be known.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #16188
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Trump surveys tornado damage in Alabama, then signs Bibles for survivors.

I prefer the Fake Melania storyline for entertainment

Last edited by kingfc22 : 03-09-2019 at 09:24 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #16189
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I prefer the Fake Melania storyline for entertainment

Certainly better than the real ones
Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #16190
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't know the details of her proposal (I'm sure its not all baked out) however I'm not against the concept.

I do remember bits and pieces about the AT&T breakup and I think its been shown that it was a net positive.

Break up monopolistic (however that's defined) companies. I think Amazon and Google fits. Don't think FB is one. But not sure I want to do this if it puts us at a disadvantage with China.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...ialism-at-sxsw
Quote:
Warren also ramped up criticism of the tech giants such as Amazon, Facebook and Google while speaking in front of an Austin crowd containing at least a few of their employees. Hours earlier, she unveiled a proposal to curb the power of tech companies through various means, including the reversal of what she called “anti-competitive” mergers such as Facebook’s acquisitions of Instagram and WhatsApp and Amazon’s purchase of grocery chain Whole Foods. Warren also called for Amazon and Google’s various businesses – in the latter’s case, its search engine and ad platform -- to operate as separate entities.

The 2020 Democratic candidate likened Amazon’s business practices to a game of baseball, asserting that the e-commerce platform “sucks out an incredible amount of information about every buyer and seller,” and then uses that data to gain an unfair advantage when selling its own products through “Amazon Basics."

“You can be an umpire – a platform – or you can own teams,” Warren said. “But you can’t be an umpire and own one of the teams that’s in the game.”

Warren added her plan would level the playing field between tech giants and smaller businesses.

“My view is, break those things apart and we will have a much more competitive, robust market in America,” she said.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #16191
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Now this goes from embarrassing to a real scandal. MotherJones is reporting that the owner of the spas has been advertising her ability to connect Chinese business people with the President and Minister of Commerce and even arrange White house and Capitol Hill dinners.

If she was so open about her activities just imagine what's going on at Mar-a-Lago with people who don't want their activities to be known.

TBH, don't think this is worthy of "scandal" yet (or at least not for Trump).
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #16192
JPhillips
General Manager

The key insight into the Trump years, the more bad shit you do, the less any of it matters.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #16193
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #16194
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just another day in Trumps America.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #16195
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Go shale oil ... but only for enough time where Tesla or like can become the norm. Hate being under the yoke of ME oil.

But from what I understand, there's a difference between oil quality and we will still need some oil from ME and Venezuela.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/busin...bia/index.html

The thing is, what you say you want and what you're quoting are diametrically opposed.

You're touting America's emergence as a leading exporter of oil products. That isn't the same thing as energy independence. We import like 8 million barrels a day of crude, and export like 1.2 million barrels per day of the same.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #16196
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
So it's almost two months in power for the House Democrats. Can you articulate what their agenda is?

And, to the extent you can name anything, is that the same agenda upon which they were elected in purple districts five months ago?

Anti-corruption.

Yes.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #16197
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
So it's almost two months in power for the House Democrats. Can you articulate what their agenda is?

And, to the extent you can name anything, is that the same agenda upon which they were elected in purple districts five months ago?

As stated above, Anti-Corruption and Voting rights are the top agenda items right now.

Net Neutrality and Legalization are backburner topics.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #16198
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Last week, President Trump introduced Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, as "Tim Apple."

That was an easy slip of the tongue to make. Some people jumped on it and made fun of him on Twitter for it. But, whatever. Famous people who speak a lot in public sometimes mis-speak. And people make fun of them for it. And then we all go on.

Much more telling has been Trump's reaction. First, he started telling people that he said "Tim Cook, Apple," but that the microphone did not pick up the Cook. Then, when even a casual review of the tape showed that was a lie, he changed the story to this

A President who flubs a name: fine. A President who is so pathologically thin-skinned that he cannot handle the idea of people making fun of him for flubbing that name: scary.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-11-2019 at 02:39 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #16199
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fake flub news!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #16200
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fox's Tucker Carlson's 'Bubba the Love Sponge'Â*comments spark uproar
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote