Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #251
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sounds like his camp is going to come out and trash any team that isn’t the Lakers. I’d love the Pelicans to let him stew and then deal him to a terrible team at the draft so he can’t play with a still elite level LeBron, but they are probably resigned to getting a sub-optimal deal from LA at this point.

Last edited by bhlloy : 02-01-2019 at 08:28 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #252
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Dirk and Wade added to the AS game. Good move.

Agreed.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #253
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sounds like his camp is going to come out and trash any team that isn’t the Lakers. I’d love the Pelicans to let him stew and then deal him to a terrible team at the draft so he can’t play with a still elite level LeBron, but they are probably resigned to getting a sub-optimal deal from LA at this point.

His dad came out and said he doesn't want him to go to Boston because of what they did to Isiah Thomas. They don't have any loyalty to their players.

Where is The Brow's loyalty to the Pelicans?
Old 02-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #254
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd much rather have my superstar force a trade and get something for him rather than get nothing. At least the shit we got for Kyrie was semi usable

Last edited by stevew : 02-02-2019 at 01:39 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 AM   #255
bhlloy
Coordinator

Or he could go to management quietly, let them shop him and get what a top 5 player in the league should get in terms of a return and then sign where he wants in free agency. Rather than essentially making it known that he’s only worth acquiring by one team and completely tanking the package they are going to get back.

I get why he’s doing it and the timing behind it, but I can’t imagine the bad taste it would leave if I was a Pelicans fan.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:53 AM   #256
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
His dad came out and said he doesn't want him to go to Boston because of what they did to Isiah Thomas. They don't have any loyalty to their players.

Where is The Brow's loyalty to the Pelicans?

Apparently it's immoral now to trade any NBA player unless they demand it.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:50 AM   #257
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Or he could go to management quietly, let them shop him and get what a top 5 player in the league should get in terms of a return and then sign where he wants in free agency. Rather than essentially making it known that he’s only worth acquiring by one team and completely tanking the package they are going to get back.

I get why he’s doing it and the timing behind it, but I can’t imagine the bad taste it would leave if I was a Pelicans fan.

Aren't all of the teams that would be in the market better off knowing ahead of time he is only going to be a rental? I assume they're allowed to talk to him before a trade is done to ask and when he tells them he won't resign there, behind closed doors, we're right back where we are now? At least the way it is now teams aren't wasting their time calling NO when, in the end, there's no way they'll want to take him on as a rental.

Of he could be part of NO's plan to screw whoever they can get to bite on a trade by keeping his mouth shut? If I'm a Boston or NYK fan and find after making the deal he never had any intention of resigning with anyone other than LA I'm pissed. And as a GM I'm never dealing with NO again.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:23 AM   #258
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Something tells me the deal has already been agreed to, and all of the leaks and reports is just posturing to sell the deal to the fanbases.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 02-02-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #259
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Is this even possible in 2019? If he goes to management quietly, who leaks the request to Woj or Shams first, his current team, or the teams being shopped to. I mean we heard about Porzingis going to management to ask about his future a few hours before his trade. The other part is that teams are allowed to ask the player if he plans to re-sign with them long term before the trade is completed. No team is giving fair value (whatever that means) without at least a soft yes. Right or wrong, NBA teams generally do not do rentals in the same way MLB teams do.

Going back to the Knicks/Mavs trade, did anyone see the Mavs going from a future led by Harrison Barnes and Dennis Smith Jr. before the 2018 draft to one with Luca and Kristaps eight months later? Great work by Donn Nelson.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #260
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is this even possible in 2019? If he goes to management quietly, who leaks the request to Woj or Shams first, his current team, or the teams being shopped to. I mean we heard about Porzingis going to management to ask about his future a few hours before his trade. The other part is that teams are allowed to ask the player if he plans to re-sign with them long term before the trade is completed. No team is giving fair value (whatever that means) without at least a soft yes. Right or wrong, NBA teams generally do not do rentals in the same way MLB teams do.
Multiple teams have done this recently. OKC with Paul George, Toronto with Kawhi, Boston with Kyrie was 2 full seasons instead of 1.5 but the same principle, and literally two days ago Dallas traded for Porzingis even when the reporting is that Porzingis would rather sign a QO instead of an extension this summer. (Which would be an insane move for him if he doesn't come back this season and he's offered close to the max.)

According to Woj (who admittedly seems to be pushing an anti-Lakers agenda), the Lakers offer right now is Kuzma, Ball, Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley a 1st and not taking back Solomon Hill's $12m next year... that seems pretty beatable even if a team only thought they'd have 1-2 playoff runs with AD. And it doesn't even require the Pelicans and Mrs. Benson to be spiteful to laugh at that offer. Like has been pointed out elsewhere LeBron is 34... he isn't slowing down as much as a normal human, but he can't have too many elite seasons left, and if the Lakers aren't at least willing to put all their moderate assets on the table why not call AD's bluff and force him to wait until LeBron's age 36 season.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #261
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd rather keep Lonzo and trade Ingram and it might happen because Ingram just isn't going to be what we had hoped
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #262
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'd rather keep Lonzo and trade Ingram and it might happen because Ingram just isn't going to be what we had hoped

I'd rather keep Ball also, he plays stellar defense and is a nice playmaker. He'd fit in well with Lebron and Davis.

I think Ingram can still be a really good player but not sure he will blossom with Lebron as he doesn't fit in very well.

Now, I'd personally trade Ingram, Ball, Kumza, zubac and two first round picks if that's what it takes. Not for this season but you'll be able to fill in the spots around LJ and ADto have a contending team in the offseason
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #263
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Don't understand potentially trading both Stephenson and Rondo in this Davis package. Unless they're basically admitting that this season is over.

Also hoping Walton gets fired. I'd love him as the Cavs next HC.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #264
Groundhog
Coordinator

Going to be LeBron-AD and the G-League All-Stars.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #265
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You can't get a franchise player with 18 months of team control for nothing, so I totally get them wanting to give up the farm to get him, none of those players are even close to what AD offers you provided he's not hurt. Dump them, have some cap space and see where you land. It's a big risk, but Lebron shows up there
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #266
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I think you have to give up whatever to get him even if it's the entire roster. If it gets to the offseason, the price goes up and you are now bidding against the Celtics (even with all the noise that he doesn't want to play there) or the chance that a team with a better young player to build a package around hits the #1 pick.

This season is probably a wash even with AD, the Warriors haven't broken up yet and I don't think even two of the top 10 players in the league gets you past them. I think they are probably keeping an eye on limiting LeBron and gearing up for an all-in 2020, and in those circumstances who cares about Stephenson and Rondo.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #267
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - pretty funny to see his camp try to improve the public perception of him trying to force his destination by naming a couple of random teams that there is no way have the assets to deal for him. I'm sure he'd much rather play for the Bucks or Clippers than the Celtics, that makes perfect sense.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 AM   #268
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there some limit to how much salary you can pay on the stretch provision per year? Cause Cleveland should just trade for all the mahimnis/solomon hill's in the world and just devote 40% of their cap to non players since they arent going to win anyways. Just collect picks instead of having to use your cap space for marginal improvements.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #269
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
I think you have to give up whatever to get him even if it's the entire roster.

This. Tell LeBron the rest of the year will suck but he gets AD and maybe Kawhi or Kyrie to go with him plus whoever they can sign as rentals in the off-season to fill out the roster - I have to think he isn't going to say no. They've got to bring in more firepower to contend anyway.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #270
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kyrie and LeBron reuniting is def a possibility.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 AM   #271
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saw some Melo Ball highlights the other day. Dude had a massive growth spurt. No idea if he can even be eligible for the NCAA next year, but he’s easily 6-6 or 6-7 now
Old 02-05-2019, 02:32 AM   #272
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Saw some Melo Ball highlights the other day. Dude had a massive growth spurt. No idea if he can even be eligible for the NCAA next year, but he’s easily 6-6 or 6-7 now

It’s a shame what that father did to that kid. He likely could have gone to any school for a year before going pro. His attention whore dad really cheated him out of that experience.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 AM   #273
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Don't understand potentially trading both Stephenson and Rondo in this Davis package. Unless they're basically admitting that this season is over.

Also hoping Walton gets fired. I'd love him as the Cavs next HC.

Are you really going to be a GM who lets a deal fall through for a generational talent because of those two guys?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #274
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No...i didn't really look at the Lakers cap situation that closely. I figured they had some other guys to trade, but they really dont have enough salary to go out if they aren't tossing both of their decent vets in.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #275
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No...i didn't really look at the Lakers cap situation that closely. I figured they had some other guys to trade, but they really dont have enough salary to go out if they aren't tossing both of their decent vets in.

I played with the trade machine on espn a little the other day just to see how tough the dollars were on this.

Rondo, Ingram, Stephenson, Beasley works
Ball, Ingram, Stephenson, Beasley works

Pretty sure you have to have two of the three larger salaries (Rondo, Ball, Ingram+Stephenson) to get it to fly
Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #276
Danny
Head Coach

I'm not really sure why the media is so gung ho on New Orleans waiting so they can deal Davis to Boston. They're much more likely to get the best of Magic than Ainge. You can pretty safely assume any trade the Celtics agree to will end up resulting in them winning the trade, probably by a wide margin.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:27 AM   #277
Groundhog
Coordinator

Tobias Harris to Philly is pretty big. That's one hell of a starting 5. Like, not Warriors level, but should be enough to get them out of the East if Butler doesn't start challenging the starters to pick up games alongside the rookies.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:11 AM   #278
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least boban got freed.

Don’t blame the Clips for selling very high on Harris. Not sure I’d wanna go 25m/year on someone like that
Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #279
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Tobias Harris to Philly is pretty big. That's one hell of a starting 5. Like, not Warriors level, but should be enough to get them out of the East if Butler doesn't start challenging the starters to pick up games alongside the rookies.

It's kind of a weird mix of relatively high usage guys who, outside of Redick, don't really work well off ball. I think it makes them more interesting because they stagger their guys pretty well, but I thought they needed depth more than another big gun.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #280
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I will say that I am impressed by the Pelicans strategy here. The Lakers need a pre-deadline deal much more than the Pels do. If the Pels don't make a deal, then they still get to deal him in the offseason after a bidding war. If the Lakers don't make a deal, then they might lose out on him.

And it sounds like the Pels understand that they have that leverage and are forcing LA to keep coming to the table with bigger and bigger Godfather offers.

It is still one of the worst-run franchises in sports, so I can see it all still going sideways. But good on them for now.

(Of course, if they had shown this level of competence when building around AD, then he wouldn't be demanding to leave now, but that's all water under the bridge, I suppose.)

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-06-2019 at 08:42 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #281
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Speaking of debates, is it possible that the John Wall contract is worse than the Chris Paul contract? The Rockets had to know that they were probably going to get two good years max out of Paul, last year and this one. Wall possibly being done before he even entered the extension? Hoo boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Wall contract is the worst in the NBA IMO. It's quite possible the Wizards got better today with Wall being ruled out for the rest of the season. The guy gives zero fucks on the court right now and is in desperate need of a change of scenery.

Debate is over.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Wall’s deal even insured? I know the insurance company can rule out a certain amount of contracts per year. Like Amare wasn’t getting insurance.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #283
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am all in for player power and players playing a part on where they play but...

MARQUESE CHRISS, YOU CAN'T BE THE ONE MAKING TRADE REQUESTS!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #284
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I am all in for player power and players playing a part on where they play but...

MARQUESE CHRISS, YOU CAN'T BE THE ONE MAKING TRADE REQUESTS!

He probably figures the Bulls have some openings and they'll trade for anything...
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think he technically has a no trade clause since his option was declined.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #286
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Debate is over.

9-7 since his injury. I can't believe they're not trading Beal and Porter to clean house. I don't see how you make that roster work again.

EDIT: And right after posting this I see Porter appears headed to the Bulls for Portis and Parker. Those 2 should fit magnificently with that team.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-06-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 PM   #287
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Chriss traded to the Cavs.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 AM   #288
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chriss made his money so it’s hard to be critical, but he is a classic example of someone who needed to stay in school. He couldn’t keep outnof foul trouble at UW. Hard to develop at the next level when you pick up 5 fouls in 8 minutes.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #289
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Really like what Dallas is doing. Now that they have Doncic and KP, clearing cap space to try and get a third star. It would be really cool to see Carlisle have a good roster to coach again next year and beyond.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #290
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Really like what Dallas is doing. Now that they have Doncic and KP, clearing cap space to try and get a third star. It would be really cool to see Carlisle have a good roster to coach again next year and beyond.
There's also a 30% chance they can keep their pick if they fall to the 7th worst record. If I were them, I wouldn't rush Porzingas back and keep moving vets not in their plan. If they can somehow land a top 4 pick in the lottery + Doncic + Porzingas + some cap space, they will be in prime position.

Last edited by Arles : 02-07-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #291
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I read somewhere Cuban said KP won’t play this year.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #292
Atocep
Coordinator

The Fultz era is over in Philly. Traded to the Magic for Simmons plus first and 2nd round picks.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #293
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Like the Raptors picking up Gasol. The trade clarifies their rotation and if Gasol perks up a bit, it gives them excellent flexibility.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #294
Atocep
Coordinator

I can only guess with the shots at Walton and Lebron recently that Lavar wants Lonzo out of LA.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:17 AM   #295
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I read somewhere Cuban said KP won’t play this year.

Yep, I've seen that reported as well, and it makes sense. There's no upside to pushing him back.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:11 AM   #296
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Debate is over.
Who was debating it? The Wizards played better with him hurt even when he was allegedly good.

The fun game is predicting the next one... Russell Westbrook is a sneaky candidate (and Bill Simmons having him at 19 in his trade value column proves both how out of touch he is, and how hard trade value is to define in today's NBA of shorter contracts and player options), but I have to assume someone will overpay a non-max player in free agency with all the cap space and big market teams who are promising big signings this summer. I like DMC well enough, but if he signs a max with say, the Knicks this summer... I anticipate half a good season and them desperately trying to dump him by January 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Chriss made his money so it’s hard to be critical, but he is a classic example of someone who needed to stay in school. He couldn’t keep outnof foul trouble at UW. Hard to develop at the next level when you pick up 5 fouls in 8 minutes.
On the flipside, John Calipari would argue he's a poster child for why you need to leave if you're a 1st(/lottery pick). 9 mil isn't quite set for life money but it's pretty good, and there's the likely chance Chriss would've stagnated at UW too, only without a few million in the bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I can only guess with the shots at Walton and Lebron recently that Lavar wants Lonzo out of LA.
Or he wants LeBron out of LA.

I really do wonder if there was a tacit back channel implication when LeBron went to LA that if LaVar kept quiet LeBron's camp would push to keep Lonzo in LA when the next trade happened... and once it became apparent Lonzo was an option in talks Lavar Ball went back to being Lavar Ball.

On court wise, frustrating loss tonight, but when a team hits 3's like that what can you do? And if the Celtics had to lose off a random bounce, it was great that Rondo got the game winner.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #297
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think 9 million would set me up for life. The interest alone would be more than enough for me every year.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #298
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think 9 million would set me up for life. The interest alone would be more than enough for me every year.

Agreed. 9 million does set you up for life. If it doesn't, you're not doing money right.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Agreed. 9 million does set you up for life. If it doesn't, you're not doing money right.

It's probably comfortable but it's not crazy money.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's not like its 9mil take home either.