Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #301
bhlloy
Coordinator

Playing semantics a bit, but assuming it's at least 3 million after taxes, agent fees and other things that we might not be aware of in contracts, that's enough money for life assuming you don't mismanage it.

I mean yeah, nobody is getting 3 million and hiding it under their mattress and being set for life, but with any kind of sensible money management, you should be making enough off a lump sum like that to live on for a very long time indeed.

Now do I think most athletes or NBA players are falling into the sensible money management category - probably not, but that doesn't really answer the original question.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #302
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think it would be set for life money for most of us at this point even after the taxes etc. I don't think it is for a 19 year old who presumably had the assumption he'd be making much more in a few years, unless that kid was amazingly mature. Who knows, maybe Chriss is off the court.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #303
molson
General Manager

I think people who would retire after acquiring a few million dollars generally don't have the mindset of people who are able to acquire a few million dollars (even sports millionaires.)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #304
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As far as Chriss goes, the Cavs really habe no incentive to play him. We dont have his 4th year option so we are severely limited as to what we can pay him next year anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Playing semantics a bit, but assuming it's at least 3 million after taxes, agent fees and other things that we might not be aware of in contracts, that's enough money for life assuming you don't mismanage it.

That's not even a pair of top notch houses in larger markets.

Assuming you buy even one piece of property - say, my dream of a Vegas penthouse - then you better hope it's a fairly short lifetime.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That draymond flagrant was awful. Kerr getting fined 25k for righteous anger.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #307
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also Chriss threw down an insane dunk over jarret Allen last night.

https://youtu.be/skP1dls35n0

Last edited by stevew : 02-14-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #308
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

That was gross, I'm just glad the Nets won. Nice to see them on a roll. Aside from being a big fan, I bet their season win total over 32 so I am cruising.

Also a big Chriss fan being a UW alum. Nice to see him play well, he was nails last night.

Other rambling thoughts, I think Kenny Atkinson should be coach of the year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #309
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I took 5 NBA season win total bets.

Nets over 32
Bucks over 47
Jazz over 49
Kings under 22
Pistons over 38

Nets and Bucks I am golden, Jazz and Pistons I'll have a good sweat, Kings I got taken out in a body bag.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #310
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I mean yeah, nobody is getting 3 million and hiding it under their mattress and being set for life, but with any kind of sensible money management, you should be making enough off a lump sum like that to live on for a very long time indeed.

Now do I think most athletes or NBA players are falling into the sensible money management category - probably not, but that doesn't really answer the original question.

What people fail to realize is NBA players of low means are basically paying for everyone in their family when they get rich, which dwindles your cash pretty fast after taxes, agent fees, and the odd bad investments (lol).

Obviously if you're in a rich family or parents who don't see you as a meal ticket, it's less of an issue, but it's more akin to winning the lottery than some kind of windfall. But that's true for people who get a pro sports contract, as with people who live paycheck to paycheck when they make six figures.

Not to mention you spent all of your life working on sports, not common sense. I know doctors who get swindled, so it's not just athletes but they're more prone given how many people hang around the game to get scraps.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #311
miked
College Starter

All this talk of the Lakers, I went and looked at Ball's stats...dude is shooting 40% FT. Insane.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #312
miami_fan
Coordinator

So do we believe that Anthony Davis is actually injured? Or is he "injured"?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #313
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So do we believe that Anthony Davis is actually injured? Or is he "injured"?

The whole situation is a farce. Team wants to shut him down, league steps in and says no, so he will just have mystery injuries.

Makes the whole thing even worse. He is an asset of the teams, they should be able to do as they wish.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ray Felton is still in the league...wow
Old 02-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone actually enjoy watching Westbrook or Harden play ball? I like several guys on the Thunder but Russ makes them hard to watch. And then that Harden pairing with Chris Paul is like double eye cancer. Harden is good but I just hate watching the flails and the 3s. Chris Paul is nearly every bit as dirty as Draymond but he does the State Farm commercials so he gets a pass.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #316
spleen1015
Coordinator

I like old school fundamental basketball. That streak Harden had where he had over 200 straight made FGs without any of them being assisted is not good basketball so screw that shit.

I can't watch him to that illegal move he does. I think it was Mark Jackson who did some analysis of it during a game last week. Every time he starts the move with the ball in his right hand he travels. Every time its in his left to start, he doesn't travel. It sucks. I see college players making the same move now. It's not good.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #317
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The whole situation is a farce. Team wants to shut him down, league steps in and says no, so he will just have mystery injuries.

Makes the whole thing even worse. He is an asset of the teams, they should be able to do as they wish.

I agree but let me play devil's advocate. Can small market teams which, in the past, complained about other teams resting their star player when they come to town turn around and sit their own star player when it is in their best interests?

I don't know what the Pelicans are supposed to do tbh. I probably would send him home. But that still feels the best choice of terrible options. Even without AD, I am not sure they can drop that much lower in the league standings than they are now. Is tanking games beneficial for them this season if they are just going to move from the eighth worst team to the sixth worse team?I don't know.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #318
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
All this talk of the Lakers, I went and looked at Ball's stats...dude is shooting 40% FT. Insane.

But he's better than LeBron because LeBron doesn't make free throws.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #319
miami_fan
Coordinator

New Orleans Pelicans part ways with Dell Demps, sources say

At least two years too late IMO.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kawhi and dad bros unite in their love of new balance when he unveils his new signature shoe this weekend
Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #321
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Better late then never, I guess. They still lost a generational talent through treating the team like a side-project for the Saints' front office.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe someone who simply inherits a billion dollar company is not the most qualified option to run it?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #323
Groundhog
Coordinator

No commentary on the all star weekend so far, but pretty impressive performance from Joe Harris. The dunk comp was overall pretty mediocre, but Diallo had a couple of dunks that deserve to be up there with the best ever IMO. Feels like it's about time to put the dunk comp aside again for a few years though.

No real interest in today's "main event", but maybe the new format will make things a bit more competitive.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #324
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
No commentary on the all star weekend so far, but pretty impressive performance from Joe Harris. The dunk comp was overall pretty mediocre, but Diallo had a couple of dunks that deserve to be up there with the best ever IMO. Feels like it's about time to put the dunk comp aside again for a few years though.

No real interest in today's "main event", but maybe the new format will make things a bit more competitive.

I have pretty much sworn off all all-star games/events in all sports. I might check in to see the reaction to D-Wade and Dirk being introduced but that would be about it.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #325
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should just do a 3 on 3 tournament and give the winners 1m each.

(If that's not enough stakes, maybe 5m is?)

Last edited by stevew : 02-17-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #326
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Dunk contest needs a different format (I'd go two ten minute jam sessions where the judges just vote for the beat dunk after each half and you get some commercials in the interim. Maybe you make it 15+ if you want guys to do these ridiculous pull outs, though I think John Collins ended that for a few years.)

But it's always a decent thing for some young guys Q Rating (people now know who Hamidou Diallo is), and next year you'll have Zion and a good chance LaVine is back in if he's still a Bull.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #327
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Zion and Ja would likely both be in.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #328
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know that everyone mocked the Kings when they compared Hield to Curry but hield is playing well. Glad to see Sacramento playing well(sorry Lathum)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #329
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I know that everyone mocked the Kings when they compared Hield to Curry but hield is playing well. Glad to see Sacramento playing well(sorry Lathum)

haha

I knew I was DOA on that bet 5 games in, and TBH I have made it all up and them some betting on them early season before the books adjusted.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #330
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
haha

I knew I was DOA on that bet 5 games in, and TBH I have made it all up and them some betting on them early season before the books adjusted.

Too many teams tanking now. It's hard to win less than 30 now if you have no reason to tank.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #331
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Heild has developed into a kind of a Klay Thompson with less defense.

Comparing Devin Booker and Zach LaVine and the hype surrounding one vs the other is interesting as well. Stats are pretty close. Both are on bad teams and neither really plays defense. One is considered a key building block and the other is considered a bad contract.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-21-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #332
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't watch anything more than highlights but it sure seems like the NBA is gearing up to push the Lakers into the playoffs.

Also amyone else read that long form on ESPN about the crooked ref guy? Crazy stuff
Old 02-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #333
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Atocep - I think part of it is attitude perception. Both are bad defenders, but Booker seems like he tries while LaVine appears indifferent (or at least did in prior seasons when the narrative took hold). Booker also technically isn't being paid huge money yet, which probably matters for some of the analytic obsessed people. I have been with you on the Devin Booker is slightly overrated train for the past 2 seasons - he's developing into a very good player but still has holes, and I feel if you asked people just before John Wall's injury if they'd rather have him or Bradley Beal right now 95% would've said Booker, which is crazy to me. (Okay, maybe I'm just as much on the Bradley Beal is underrated train!)

It's funny that people were pointing out the problem with Scott Foster before the game. NBA just doesn't care about the perception here.

Clearly did care entirely about perception in the Donaghy case. The guy reffed two of the biggest playoff screwjobs in recent memory, no wonder the NBA didn't want to dig deeper. I was shocked at the amounts allegedly won by the syndicate - I always thought it was just a smaller operation with him & his handlers. For some reason I also thought he was just wagering on overs and calling the game in a way to get there - in a small scale operation that would seem to be the easiest angle to work without generating suspicion. Also shocked that ESPN went after the NBA with that.

Celtics/Bucks also had some late craziness. Bucks up one, Marcus Smart does crazy Marcus things and ties up Giannis with 3.7 on the game clock & 0.2 on the shot clock. Giannis wins the tip, Lopez tips it and it hits the rim, but the refs rule he tried to shoot so it's a shot clock violation and Boston ball with 3.5 left. Even after reading the 2-minute report I still can't understand the mechanics - are both shot and game clock supposed to start on the tip, on possession, or is the game clock supposed to start on the tip but shot clock only restart when the offensive team is deemed to have gained possession?

To continue the theme that the last 2 minute report blows, even as a die-hard Celtics fan I don't think Kyrie was fouled on his last second attempt, but the NBA decided to come out & say the refs missed 3! calls in those 3 seconds NBA says referees missed multiple calls at end of Milwaukee Bucks-Boston Celtics game (The foul I thought they missed was on Giannis on his chase down block of Tatum with about 5 minutes left. Yes hand gets ball, but his arm came down through Tatum's and he made body contact from behind. Chase down blocks are exciting, but any contact from behind needs to be called or it'll lead to some bad injuries.)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #334
JPhillips
General Manager

I love what the Nets have been able to do given their lack of draft picks, but I hate that the most likely outcome of all this is a decade of mediocrity.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #335
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That tech on Boogie for the shoe toss was ludicrous
Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #336
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I won't rule out this Celtics team making a run, especially if they get matched up with Philly in the 4/5 series and can carry that emotion forward, but man this Celtics team is an unlikeable group of front-runners & beta's. Blame it on Kyrie all you want (and unlike a Bill Simmons I actually agree with the +/- stats that say the team is much better with him on the court than off it), but frankly this team just doesn't like each other & they're no fun to watch. I'd trade Kyrie in a heartbeat for 2016 Isaiah, and I don't think it's a coincidence those teams that liked each other had an amazing record in close games and this team doesn't.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Don't worry about it...he's there
Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 AM   #338
Groundhog
Coordinator

Unfortunately for Kyrie (and Boston) I think he's picked up more than a little bit of LeBron's extreme alpha dog personality, without LeBron's extreme ability to influence the game as much on both ends (in his prime).
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #339
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't know what's more amusing, that the Lakers were looking to turn to Melo in the first place, or they backed off because they thought he wasn't going to be able to help them in the playoffs any more.

I'm about a big as LeBron fan as anyone, but he has got to stop playing a mediocre GM and trying to play with all his buddies from the mid 2000s who aren't good anymore. I'd estimate at least 80% of my Laker fan friends on FB have turned on him after the turnover and a few bad defensive plays in the last game already.

Last edited by bhlloy : 03-04-2019 at 10:52 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #340
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I used to love LeBron but it is obvious he is more interested in being a brand than a basketball player.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #341
Atocep
Coordinator

ESPN's piece on Robert Sarver today....yeesh
Old 03-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #342
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Hawks baby blue set is straight fire.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #343
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
ESPN's piece on Robert Sarver today....yeesh
Pretty much sums up being a Suns fan these last 10 years - ugh. Of course, nothing will change he will roll out the green James Jones with no scouting staff as GM next year. Then, two years later, we will all lament about how bad the Suns are still.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #344
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Give it another few decades, and you might even get close to what it's like to root for the Lions in the NFL. Sucks cause I know you are a longsuffering Suns supporter.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #345
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Unfortunately for Kyrie (and Boston) I think he's picked up more than a little bit of LeBron's extreme alpha dog personality, without LeBron's extreme ability to influence the game as much on both ends (in his prime).
I wouldn't call LeBron an extreme alpha dog - he's way too passive aggressive with all his interviews and social media posts. I do think Kyrie has picked up a lot of his attitude from that, and some from a true alpha dog - Kobe. There was a quote from Kyrie (from his time in Cleveland) where he talks about how Kobe told him you need to have conflict on the floor or in the locker room to be great, and it's just insane. Teams with true alpha's that won championships have some conflict because you have insanely competitive people like Kobe, MJ, Kevin Garnett, even a Draymond Green, but they're not good because of the conflict they're good because they're talented and competitive. Plus Kobe probably cost the Lakers another title or two by pushing Shaq out the door.

The weird part is that until the all-star break and Kyrie fanning the Knicks rumors it was pretty much all narrative - once they made the lineup change to start the Marcus's and play Gordon Hayward less (plus Hayward/Brown/Horford started playing better) they were the second best team in the NBA by net rating for 2-3 months. Now the last two weeks have happened and it's hard not to agree with everyone that it's unfixable and we're better off if Kyrie leaves, but this team is still very talented and has shown they can beat Milwaukee & Toronto & dominate Philadelphia H2H. Who knows, it'd be great to just ignore them until the playoffs, but you look at the schedule and it's Golden State on national TV tonight, the Lakers Saturday night on ABC in the worst team chemistry of 2019 bowl, Philly again a week later, with 2 against the Kings team that is sneaky my favorite League Pass team right now in the middle.

On the bright side it seems like the Clippers will hold on to the 8 seed, and the Lakers and LeBron shitshow has been quite enjoyable. Inbounding the ball off the back of the backboard and everyone's body language afterwards is one of the most astounding things I've seen. The last inbounding play that cracked me up like that was Russell Westbrook's hilarious 6 step travel.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #346
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should just treat Sat night like the All Star game and let Kyrie and LeBron draft teams.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #347
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
They should just treat Sat night like the All Star game and let Kyrie and LeBron draft teams.
Better yet treat it like Friday night and have them pretend to coach guys who pretend to listen.

The other weird thing I can't get a read on is that Kyrie still has a rep as a guy who's really well liked by players and looked up to by young guys... just clearly not any who have played with him. LeBron is similar, though I think the narrative has changed and even he's been shocked by how little interest other stars have in playing with him.

I still hope it works out in Boston, but yeah if it doesn't, Kyrie & KD playing in New York under James Dolan, with a bunch of young players like DSJ & Trier who want shots would be great to watch implode.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #348
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm enjoying the Lake-show a hell of a lot myself. Also loved the clip of Kuzma (of all people) shoving LeBron in the direction of a defender about to shoot a jumper because LeBron did not rotate. Honestly, feels like LeBron never put his foot on the accelerator this season and has a care factor of slightly above 0%. Almost like leaving Cleveland was a blessing, like he knew he didn't give a shit anymore and would rather do it in LA where he can guest on albums in his spare time.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #349
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Hey, we don't suck anymore! Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in. - YouTube
Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #350
miami_fan
Coordinator

I haven't been keeping up with the Bulls. Why is Robin Lopez still there?