Chinese 1 6.25%
Other 1 6.25%
Eh, trout 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Jobs' liver transplant

Call me cynical, but when I first read this, I was thinking US, Chinese or some other nationality.

Apple CEO Jobs received liver transplant - U.S. business- msnbc.com
Quote:
Steve Jobs, the chief executive of Apple Inc., received a liver transplant about two months ago but is expected to return to work later this month, CNBC reported on Saturday.

Jobs, a pancreatic cancer survivor, stepped away from managing day-to-day operations for the consumer electronics giant about six months ago, citing unspecified health issues.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Jobs, 54, recieved the transplant in Tennessee. CNBC confirmed that Jobs' jet flew from San Jose to Memphis in late March.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-21-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

I would like to add that I do believe Jobs is a special person. Jobs is probably one of 10 people in recent US history that have change our country (for better or worse) with his paradigm shifts.

If anyone deserves to use his wealth to game the system (if that's what happened), I'm okay with it.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Am I missing where it says being wealthy helped him game the system? All it says is that he had a transplant.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Am I missing where it says being wealthy helped him game the system? All it says is that he had a transplant.

You're right. Hence ... "call me cynical".
Old 06-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

whatever cynical face
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I don't get it.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I thought the title was referring to Job from the Bible, not Steve Jobs liver transplant.

Quote:
I don't get it.

The implication is that he wasn't on any sort of list, presumably, that he just went and got it done and that he paid to get a liver faster than he otherwise would have, but we don't know, since they're not talking about that publicly (not that they should, really.)
Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I thought the title was referring to Job from the Bible, not Steve Jobs liver transplant.

The implication is that he wasn't on any sort of list, presumably, that he just went and got it done and that he paid to get a liver faster than he otherwise would have, but we don't know, since they're not talking about that publicly (not that they should, really.)

Ah, I see. Well, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Rich and famous=better than you or I in our capitalist, hero-worshipping society.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I did too.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Can't you move up transplant lists if you pay for it?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Acid in the 60's + working with lead solder in computers = health problems when your older
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jobs'
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought the title was referring to Job from the Bible
Is he still waiting for his transplant? He's going to pissed that Steve Jobs jumped the line.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I would like to add that I do believe Jobs is a special person. Jobs is probably one of 10 people in recent US history that have change our country (for better or worse) with his paradigm shifts.

If anyone deserves to use his wealth to game the system (if that's what happened), I'm okay with it.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Can't you move up transplant lists if you pay for it?
My understanding is technically no. However, if you have the financial wherewithal to lobby on your own behalf and you have the resources to provide financial benefits to hospitals involved, they may be more forceful in advocating your case.

Each state has its own transplant list and you can list yourself in a different state to improve your chances. Tennessee only has like 1/6 as long of a list as California does. If you have the ability to fly to another state on a moment's notice, that's to your advantage.

I've read that Jobs was listed in Tennessee for about 48 days. It was unclear from I've read if he was listed under his own name. As a PR guy, I remain awe-struck by Apple's and Jobs' ability to keep big things under wraps. They kept his pancreatic cancer secret, they kept the transplant secret -- even the first freakin' iPhone appeared like a thief in the night.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
As a PR guy, I remain awe-struck by Apple's and Jobs' ability to keep big things under wraps. They kept his pancreatic cancer secret, they kept the transplant secret

+1

Whoever is in charge of his op sec probably ought to be brought on board at DoD or the NSA or something, damn the cost.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

There were stories back in January indicating that he was considering a liver transplant due to complications from cancer surgery. I know that Bloomberg reported it.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

Just an update.

Did Steve Jobs' money buy him a faster liver transplant? - CNN.com
Quote:
Livers are a scarce resource. In any given year, only about one-third of the people on the national transplant waiting list receive one, and as of late June, more than 16,000 people were on the list.

Yet it sometimes seems that celebrities in need end up at the front of the line when they need a transplants, and people often assume they get preferential treatment. (Rumors about special treatment circulated after baseball player Mickey Mantle's liver transplant in 1995, for example.) Health.com: The real gift of life: How medical donations help

The truth is more complicated. No one can actually buy an organ in the United States (legally, that is). But getting a liver transplant, it turns out, is a lot like getting into college. Once you're on the waiting list, your chances of getting off it depend largely on your personal circumstances -- how sick you are and whether you are a good donor match. But getting on the list in the first place -- or on more than one list, as the case may be -- requires resources and know-how that most people don't have.