Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #301
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I have to agree with the general sentiment here...Locke has become far-and-away the best character on the show.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #302
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I find your use of the word "become" interesting.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #303
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I still like Ben as much as Locke... The fact that Ben + Locke was in a good part of the episode of course helped.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #304
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I find your use of the word "become" interesting.

How so?
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #305
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

For me, Locke has been the best part of the show since his "Godfather" moment with the orange.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #306
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Locke was intriguing to me early on, but I felt that the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle was the main hinge to the story early on. Then again, with so many threads moving in so many directions, it's hard to call any one thread a "hinge."
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #307
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I have to agree with the general sentiment here...Locke is far-and-away the best character on TV.
fyp
Quote:
Locke was intriguing to me early on, but I felt that the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle was the main hinge to the story early on. Then again, with so many threads moving in so many directions, it's hard to call any one thread a "hinge."
I think I've bitched about it in these threads before, but I feel like there has to be a huge demographic watching for the JacKateSawyerJuliet romance shit, while personally I could not care less. Give me Jin, Sayid, Sawyer without women around and Hurley for comic relief (Are you from the future? That's ridiculous. Then who's the President Hurley? Uhh...uhhh... fine, we're from the future.) and I'm happy. Give me Locke, Ben, some mystical things and it's guaranteed to be the best hour of TV I watch that week.

On actual show topics, the most interesting response to me was Richard Alpert's. He's always been presented as a neutral arbiter who is above the people on the island. Now he thinks Locke could be a problem?

Michael Emerson can even make reading bedtime stories creepy -
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #308
Pyser
Pro Rookie

sun can die with kate now as far as im concerned, by the way
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #309
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think that Locke believes Jacob doesn't exist which is why he's taking everyone with him so he can come out and say "HA I killed him!"
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #310
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I think that Locke believes Jacob doesn't exist which is why he's taking everyone with him so he can come out and say "HA I killed him!"

It has to be something much more complicated than that, or Locke wouldn't have said anything.

Besides, now that Locke has died and risen, his experience with Jacob will be different this time.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #311
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post

Don't forget that John did have an encounter with Jacob the first time he went to the cabin. I believe he heard a voice say "kill me" before everything in the cabin went crazy.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #312
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Don't forget that John did have an encounter with Jacob the first time he went to the cabin. I believe he heard a voice say "kill me" before everything in the cabin went crazy.
I thought it said "help me"
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #313
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FWIW, this season while he was alive, Faraday acted circles around everyone on the show. He was phenomenal.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #314
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
FWIW, this season while he was alive, Faraday acted circles around everyone on the show. He was phenomenal.

Even dead, he acted circles around at least a few of them

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #315
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

really? I like the actor in general, but I thought his twitchy portrayal of Faraday was kind of lame.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #316
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
really? I like the actor in general, but I thought his twitchy portrayal of Faraday was kind of lame.
I completely disagree. His character is by nature brainy and meek, but when it came time to step up an lead, he did so with the unsure geeky confidence someone who only does so hesitatingly can do. His compassion for the red-haired chick both while she was dying as an adult and as a little girl on the swing was gripping, and the episode two weeks ago when he was losing his memory and being convinced to go back to the island was brilliantly understated. I've enjoyed Faraday more than any other character this season, and that says a lot when someone upstages Ben Linus.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #317
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that was something else.

man, they really love those Deadwood actors, don't they?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #318
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

/mind blown
Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #319
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I have very mixed thoughts about the finale. In general, I loved it.

Spoiler
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #320
Pyser
Pro Rookie

glad the season is over. didnt like it. hope time travel is done.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #321
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. what a great finale... I don't even really have words for it, I sat glued to the tv the entire time. I'll have to watch again today just to let it sink in.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #322
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cross posting a post I made over at OOTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Here's my thing. DL and CC have been saying for a few days or weeks that there was a huge game changer that would make us wonder how they could continue with the show. I didn't see anything that makes me wonder how the show can continue.

Is it that Juliet managed to detonate the bomb? It doesn't make me think how the show can continue. I guess knowing there is a season 6 coming, I know there is more coming. I don't need to wonder how they could continue with the show.

I believe that you can't change things that have happened. So, the Incident that is referred to is the result of Juliet detonating the bomb.

The only thing that was a big shocker to me was Locke's body being in the box and the Locke running around appears to be some sort of nemesis of Jacob's. But even that makes me shake my head.

It looks like there has been this battle of sorts between Jacob and this other dude for a very long time. I think this has somehow been the catalyst for a lot of what has happened. But why is this new nemesis dude of Jacob's being introduced now? I feel maybe there should have been references to this dude already. Maybe there have been and we just don't know it yet?

I dunno. I'll definitely watch Season 6. I guess I am bummed some because I don't feel like the Season 5 finale is on the level with the prior seasons. We've had a lot of build up to lots of mystery and now that the mystery is being revealed, it's not very shocking or awesome.

I'll also add that nothing in this finale was as surprising or shocking as "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!" Just disappointed I guess.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #323
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I was surprised/shocked to learn that they're all just pawns in some sort of retelling of the book of Job.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #324
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The only thing that was a big shocker to me was Locke's body being in the box and the Locke running around appears to be some sort of nemesis of Jacob's. But even that makes me shake my head.

I'm a little annoyed at myself for this, because I knew Locke was not Locke but something manufactured by the island. I even thought that the box may have contained a body and I STILL didn't draw the obvious conclusion. I am dumb.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #325
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Cross posting a post I made over at OOTP.

I'll also add that nothing in this finale was as surprising or shocking as "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!" Just disappointed I guess.

Saying that the Jacob nemesis needed to be introduced previously...he has been. He's been Christian and the smoke monster. Since the smoke monster told Ben to follow Locke's every command, it seems obvious that the nemesis is the smoke monster. Same goes for the fact that Christian showed up to encourage Locke to leave the island setting all this up. Plus it looks like the nemesis is probably the one responsible for all the appearances of dead people on the island, since it seems to be able to simulate anyone who is dead and whose body is on the island.

Going to be very interesting to see where they go from here.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #326
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

also, Juliette has a great rack
Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #327
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Saying that the Jacob nemesis needed to be introduced previously...he has been. He's been Christian and the smoke monster. Since the smoke monster told Ben to follow Locke's every command, it seems obvious that the nemesis is the smoke monster. Same goes for the fact that Christian showed up to encourage Locke to leave the island setting all this up. Plus it looks like the nemesis is probably the one responsible for all the appearances of dead people on the island, since it seems to be able to simulate anyone who is dead and whose body is on the island.

Going to be very interesting to see where they go from here.

That makes some sense to me.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #328
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
also, Juliette has a great rack

Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #329
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was surprised/shocked to learn that they're all just pawns in some sort of retelling of the book of Job.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

This is the problem for me when people get all fancy and make allusions to the bible. I have no idea what the book of Job is about.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #330
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Book of Job - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT:
It's this dialogue from the beginning that had me thinking this way:

Quote:
Silas from Deadwood: I don't have to ask. You brought them here. Still trying to prove me wrong, aren't you?
Jacob: You are wrong.
Silas from Deadwood: Am I? They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.
Jacob: It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.

Makes me think that everyone coming to this island (repeatedly) are involved in some great morality play between a God-like figure and a Satan-like figure. Jacob is trying to prove something about the inherent good of man.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-14-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #331
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Wow.. what a great finale... I don't even really have words for it, I sat glued to the tv the entire time. I'll have to watch again today just to let it sink in.

That's how I felt, too.

I kept checking how much time was left after every commercial break because I didn't want it to run out of time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #332
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
That's how I felt, too.

I kept checking how much time was left after every commercial break because I didn't want it to run out of time.

I just have kept saying wow.. or woah or something because my wife (who doesn't really watch Lost) was in the room with me doing school work and at one point she told me to stop saying wow, I was getting on her nerves.. I didn't even know I was doing it...

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #333
Swaggs
Coordinator

The only disappointing thing, for me, was that Claire was completely absent. I didn't really miss her this season, but I thought there might be a little teaser about what her storyline has been/will be -- especially with Sun lingering over Aaron's crib and the DS ring (I thought that was kind of to remind us about her).

It was cool to see Bernard and Rose (and Vincent). Also, looked like we got a glimpse at the Black Rock (I think) there at the beginning.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #334
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It was cool to see Bernard and Rose (and Vincent). Also, looked like we got a glimpse at the Black Rock (I think) there at the beginning.

I assume so, although I was rather distracted by how bad the digital effect looked. Did someone slash their effects budget? Last week's sub shots were painfully bad. I half expected to see some stop-motion skeletons jump after it into the water.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #335
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Great episode. Really epic.

I wasn't really surprised that Locke wasn't really Locke. I suspected that might be the case after the smoke monster appeared as Alex.

A lot other stuff surprised me though such as Jacob not being somebody who was already on the show and Jacob and the smoke monster being super old nemesis.

So the guy talking to Jacob at the beginning (the scene the shows the statue and what appears to be the Black Rock) is the smoke monster, right?

I'm completely confused to the bad guys are now though. Jacob seemed to be the good guy but a lot of things the others have done have been pretty bad. Maybe they ignore his commands sometimes?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #336
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, I think the smoke monster is the Jacob's nemesis. So, all of the dead people we've been seeing are him I guess.

After reading some of the other reactions from people and their theories, things aren't that bad. I wonder how the folks in 1977 tie into the Jacob story.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #337
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I wonder how the folks in 1977 tie into the Jacob story.

My guess is, just like Jacob whispered to EvilLocke, "they're coming."
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #338
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Is it for sure Juliete set off the bomb? The screen just went blank at the end - I don't think that means she set off the bomb....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 05-14-2009 at 10:12 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #339
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I only have one real problem with last night's episode...when did Sawyer lose his balls? Is the fact that he just blindly follows Juliet's lead supposed to show he's been domesticated, or what? It just didn't seem to fit his character (at least he was confused by Juliet's flip-flopping).
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #340
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My guess is, just like Jacob whispered to EvilLocke, "they're coming."

Was he referring to the Losties or the group that was carrying Locke's dead body is a cargo crate? It appears he's met the people from both groups (that women was the one under the mask I think), but I was unsure of which group Jacob was referring to. That said, I can't imagine the Losties staying in the 70s any longer or stopping their plane from crashing.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #341
spleen1015
Coordinator

I guess it is possible that the bomb had an effect on the magnetic field down there and sent all of our friends back to the correct time.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #342
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the bomb going off (or not) gives them a lot of flexibility. Even though I hope they do not, they could almost do a reset (if Farraday and Jack are correct, the plane lands w/o crashing) and bring back all or alot of characters that have died and spend all of next season doing an alternate timeline (Kate is still in custody, James is still in search of Mr. Saywer, Sun and Jin are in a tenuous marriage, Locke is pathetic, Shannon/Boone/Charlie are still alive, Desmond is still on the island, etc.) or they could spend time (which they almost certainly will, to some degree) delving into the mythology between Jacob and his nemesis and the history of the island.

Part of what made the episode so great, for me, was the fact that future direction of the show was very dependent on whether or not the bomb went off, the anticipation of it (w/ all the various realizations that each of the characters seemed to come to terms with), it surprisingly not working (creating potential storylines of Jack becoming an even more pitiful/self-doubting character, Saywer blaming Jack for Juliet's loss, Kate coming to terms with Jack being alright with a timeline where they do not know each other, etc.), and then Juliet setting it off anyway.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #343
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Well that episode confirms that Locke isn't special at all. He is what he always has been a pawn. Anti-Jacob(AJ) is the one who trick Richard into telling Locke to leave the island and die.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #344
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess it is possible that the bomb had an effect on the magnetic field down there and sent all of our friends back to the correct time.

It is hard (impossible, really) to wrap our head around all of the rules of time travel, since they are all really theoretical or fictional.

Since we know that there was young Ben, young Miles, young Elloise, etc. (ie: Miles was able to see himself as a child, so the child did not cease to exist when the "current" Miles was in his "timeframe"), I assume that they will all grow up and live their lives to become the modern day characters (rather than the characters that went back in time being sent back to the appropriate time), but now the plane will not crash because the hatch will have never been built and the magnetic pulse will not pull down the plane.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #345
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I only have one real problem with last night's episode...when did Sawyer lose his balls? Is the fact that he just blindly follows Juliet's lead supposed to show he's been domesticated, or what? It just didn't seem to fit his character (at least he was confused by Juliet's flip-flopping).

his character has flip-flopped over the years a bit too much. he's the hardened con man with a heart of gold.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #346
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Well that episode confirms that Locke isn't special at all. He is what he always has been a pawn. Anti-Jacob(AJ) is the one who trick Richard into telling Locke to leave the island and die.

I really liked this aspect of the Locke story.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #347
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
It is hard (impossible, really) to wrap our head around all of the rules of time travel, since they are all really theoretical or fictional.

Since we know that there was young Ben, young Miles, young Elloise, etc. (ie: Miles was able to see himself as a child, so the child did not cease to exist when the "current" Miles was in his "timeframe"), I assume that they will all grow up and live their lives to become the modern day characters (rather than the characters that went back in time being sent back to the appropriate time), but now the plane will not crash because the hatch will have never been built and the magnetic pulse will not pull down the plane.

I really hope that the result of the bomb isn't that the Swan never gets built and the plane never crashes. I don't like that idea. All of this is tied to the Jacob game being played with the other dude.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #348
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I really hope that the result of the bomb isn't that the Swan never gets built and the plane never crashes. I don't like that idea. All of this is tied to the Jacob game being played with the other dude.

that won't happen
Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #349
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Thoughts on Locke as the smoke monster/vehicle for Jacob's nemesis:

When Eko was judged by the smoke monster, he was found unfit. Unfit to do what? Perhaps be the vehicle? The last words Eko spoke were to Locke, saying "You're next."

Also tying into why it is so important that people get buried on the island... to not let the nemesis have a chance to control them?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #350
Swaggs
Coordinator

I guess anti-Jacob also appeared as Walt when he was on the island giving Locke instructions (after Ben shot him)?

Was he also appearing as Hurley's imaginary friend Dave?