Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #201
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Haha. Fair enough
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #202
molson
General Manager

So he sucked the last few years, and now he's older.

The Vikings are a good team, but I guess the management is making their own bed here, so I can't feel sorry for them.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Ugh. ESPN needs to STFU and get off of Favre's nuts.

this too
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #204
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

They had better get off to a fast start. A 1-3, 0-2 start and there will be plenty of grumbling on why you allowed someone to come in several weeks into training camp and assume the starting QB job.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #205
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what's the logic in doing this again - aside from the fact that you're removing the ball from Peterson's hands that many more times a game - particularly with the game on the line when we all know Favre tries to press too much and ends up making big mistakes.

Seems like with a dynamite running game like they have that teams will be putting 7 or 8 in the box and you ought to be able to throw against them no matter who your QB is.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #206
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
...I guess the management is making their own bed here, so I can't feel sorry for them.

Bingo. As a Packers fan, I can't complain.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #207
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
They had better get off to a fast start. A 1-3, 0-2 start and there will be plenty of grumbling on why you allowed someone to come in several weeks into training camp and assume the starting QB job.

Of course, if they go 3-1 or 4-0 despite his 70.5 QB rating, he will get praised for his "grit", "leadership", "knowing how to win", and a bunch of other crap that's going to make me sick all season long.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #208
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
what's the logic in doing this again - aside from the fact that you're removing the ball from Peterson's hands that many more times a game - particularly with the game on the line when we all know Favre tries to press too much and ends up making big mistakes.

Seems like with a dynamite running game like they have that teams will be putting 7 or 8 in the box and you ought to be able to throw against them no matter who your QB is.
This. Sage actually looked pretty good in their preseason game as well.

At this point, Favre is like the Allen Iverson of the NFL. If you have nothing, he can take a load and win you 6-8 games. But, if you have a good team, he's going to take away high percentage chances (ie, All Day) and replace them with his lower percentage deep shots.

It's funny, my dad said when Favre announced his retirement that he thought Favre just didn't want to stay in the dorm with the other "kiddies". Looks like he may have been right.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #209
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
This. Sage actually looked pretty good in their preseason game as well.

At this point, Favre is like the Allen Iverson of the NFL. If you have nothing, he can take a load and win you 6-8 games. But, if you have a good team, he's going to take away high percentage chances (ie, All Day) and replace them with his lower percentage deep shots.

It's funny, my dad said when Favre announced his retirement that he thought Favre just didn't want to stay in the dorm with the other "kiddies". Looks like he may have been right.

exactly. and with AD forcing defenses to play 8 in the box against him and Sage looking OK in preseason so far (and maybe I'm the only person in the world who hasn't given up on Tavaris Jackson either), the team would have been alright. Not a SB-contender, but Favre certainly isn't enough to put them over that hump and make them a SB contender, nor is he a long-term solution, so he's just a band-aid for a problem they didn't have, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see them do worse than last year with him in there.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #210
mckerney
Coordinator

Fuck, I knew he wasn't going to stay retired. Still hate Brett Favre, going to be hard to cheer for him this year...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #211
Danny
Head Coach

Brett has never been a favorite of mine, but I generally liked him. I am so sick of him now too. For me, his reputation has been tarnished.

Last edited by Danny : 08-18-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #212
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

what a fucking maroon
Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Fuck, I knew he wasn't going to stay retired. Still hate Brett Favre, going to be hard to cheer for him this year...

At least you got Farve and not Vick
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #214
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #215
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #216
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
exactly. and with AD forcing defenses to play 8 in the box against him and Sage looking OK in preseason so far (and maybe I'm the only person in the world who hasn't given up on Tavaris Jackson either), the team would have been alright. Not a SB-contender, but Favre certainly isn't enough to put them over that hump and make them a SB contender, nor is he a long-term solution, so he's just a band-aid for a problem they didn't have, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see them do worse than last year with him in there.

Sage is what he is. A QB that can read a defense fairly well and throw a lot of short passes. Playing against teams that stack the run you need a QB that can stretch the field and isnt afraid to take chances. Having Favre will open up the running game in which Sage couldnt scare a defense enough to open it up for AP. This move will make AP a 2000 yard rusher this year. I cant say I am happy about how it all came about but I am very happy that it finally happened as a Viking fan.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #217
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Let's not forget that Childress will be starting his 4th season as HC of the Vikings and that the spent a fair bit of the offseason trying to get Favre to play. While we shouldn't discount Favre's apparent desire to play for the Vikings (or at least against the Packers), this was always a gamble by Childress to get past the Wild Card this year.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #218
Samdari
Roster Filler

Sounds like this was a done deal when they announced Favre would not come back a few weeks ago.

"Coach, I want to come back, but I am too good for training camp"

"No problem, Boss, but I have to pretent to the other guys that I feel training camp is important, so here's what we're gonna say...."
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #219
SegRat
High School Varsity

Big Packer fan, and was a big Favre fan, the way I feel now, fuck him! I am so sick of hearing about him every couple of weeks. He is such an ego maniac. I dont ever hope someone gets hurt, now I hope he blows his fucking knee out.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #220
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Speaking as unbias as I can, I still don't understand how Minnesota can think this is a good move (especially after, apparently, Sage had a decent outing in the first preseason game) Nobody (literally, nobody) knows what Favre will do after this season, so let's just say you sign him for 1 year. You are banking on a guy that is going to be turning 40 in 2 months and in the last couple of years, has shown he can't handle the big-pressure situations as he has in the past. Plus, this totally throws the chemistry of your team into a mess - and the worst part: you are letting Favre run the show. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #221
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Sage is what he is. A QB that can read a defense fairly well and throw a lot of short passes. Playing against teams that stack the run you need a QB that can stretch the field and isnt afraid to take chances. Having Favre will open up the running game in which Sage couldnt scare a defense enough to open it up for AP. This move will make AP a 2000 yard rusher this year. I cant say I am happy about how it all came about but I am very happy that it finally happened as a Viking fan.

You can't hand the ball off to AP when the other team has possession.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #222
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's one thing for the Packers to put up with his retirement crap (he did win a Super Bowl for them). But I don't see why the Vikings are dealing with it. I also wonder how the "Diva" will feel about joining up with some of the guys who slammed him publicly once he announced his retirement (ie, Jared Allen).
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #223
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I used to really like him, but I'd rather just see him go away at this point.

Completely agreed. I was still in his corner until this last stunt. He should have come back a few weeks ago if he was going to come back.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #224
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I think I just threw up in my mouth.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #225
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It's one thing for the Packers to put up with his retirement crap (he did win a Super Bowl for them). But I don't see why the Vikings are dealing with it. I also wonder how the "Diva" will feel about joining up with some of the guys who slammed him publicly once he announced his retirement (ie, Jared Allen).

Reading some of the training camp visit reports yesterday, I get the impression Favre called them and said he was still coming, just after TC. Those reports died out with little fanfare.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #226
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I see he has a partially torn rotator cuff too? Going on 40, repaired tendon, partially torn rotator cuff, new team, coming in after missing a few weeks of camp and all the OTA's... yeesh. Ok, have at it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #227
Autumn
Head Coach

The Vikings have a guy they can really build around in Peterson. The fact that they're going this direction instead of building for the future seems crazy. When Brett does retire they're just back at square one, and eveyrone's anohter year (if he lasts that long) older.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #228
TroyF
Coordinator

I don't know how this is going to work out. (I think better than most people seem to think) I do have to say I'm amused at how everyone seems to be viewing Sage as a good game manager who fits the offense.

In his last 414 pass attempts, Sage has thrown 22 INT's. He's fumbled the ball 3 times in that span (losing 2)

Last year, Brett threw the ball 522 times and had 22 INT's. He fumbled 5 times and lost 0.

Sage is a worse game manager than Favre.

I dunno. Favre was actually pretty good until the final 5 games last year when he went to hell. If he gets better pass protection and nothing happens to AP, I think this makes the Viking a Super Bowl contender.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #229
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I see he has a partially torn rotator cuff too? Going on 40, repaired tendon, partially torn rotator cuff, new team, coming in after missing a few weeks of camp and all the OTA's... yeesh. Ok, have at it.
At least the Vikings aren't stuck with a healthy Kyle Orton.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

All I have to say is... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The story that just won't go away.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #231
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
The fact that they're going this direction instead of building for the future seems crazy.

Not when the situation is Childress is gone this year if they don't do anything in the playoffs.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #232
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I feel like Favre needs a nickname...

How does Brett " " Favre sound?
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I feel like Favre needs a nickname...

How does Brett " " Favre sound?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #234
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Completely agreed. I was still in his corner until this last stunt. He should have come back a few weeks ago if he was going to come back.

Yeah, in my mind I would thinl reporting for camp and even going on the PUP list until now would have gone over better with teammates. But what do I know, probably not.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #235
Rizon
Pro Starter

In other surprising news: Lance Bass is gay.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #236
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I don't know how this is going to work out. (I think better than most people seem to think) I do have to say I'm amused at how everyone seems to be viewing Sage as a good game manager who fits the offense.

In his last 414 pass attempts, Sage has thrown 22 INT's. He's fumbled the ball 3 times in that span (losing 2)

Last year, Brett threw the ball 522 times and had 22 INT's. He fumbled 5 times and lost 0.

Sage is a worse game manager than Favre.

I dunno. Favre was actually pretty good until the final 5 games last year when he went to hell. If he gets better pass protection and nothing happens to AP, I think this makes the Viking a Super Bowl contender.
Favre with the Jets:
522 attempts, 65.7% completion, 6.7 yards per attempt, 22 TDs, 22 INTs, 10 fumbles (2 lost)

Sage in his last 15 games:
411 attempts, 65.7% completion, 7.6 yards per attempt, 21 TDs, 22 INTs, 8 fumbles (5 lost)

So, Sage has a higher TD %, higher yards per attempt and the same completion %. He is about 1% more likely to have a fumble/pick, but that's about all Favre has on him. Combine that with Favre's gimpy rotator cuff, his age and the fact that 9 of his 21 TDs came in 2 games against banged up defenses (SD and Arizona in weeks 3 and 4) - and I'm not sure where all this "Favre is a massive upgrade" information is coming from.

After the BYE in week 5, Favre played 12 games for the Jets and had 10 TDs, 18 INTs and 8 fumbles. That's Super Bowl material right there!

Edit: Here was that 12-game schedule: Cincy, Oakland, KC, Buffalo twice, StL, NE, Ten, Denver, SF, Seattle and Miami. That's teams with a combined winning % in the low 40s (only 3 over .500).

Last edited by Arles : 08-18-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fumbles/fumbles lost is largely a "luck" statistic too though isn't it? i mean it's impossible to say someone is more likely to have a fumble that will be lost (especially trying to neutralize for teammates). Who's to say that if Favre wasn't in Sage's position he wouldn't have lost 5 fumbles too. Because once he's down and he has fumbled the odds against HIM being in a position to recover it are very low - it's largely a function of his teammates...and now they'll have the same set of teammates
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #238
mckerney
Coordinator

Blarg.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #239
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am going to go take a dump in honor of Favre's career/legacy as a Packer.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #240
Arles
Grey Dog Software

You can't expect Leon to fumble the ball and pick it back up. Leon can't do everything!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #241
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Blarg.

Wow, Fran Tarkenton unretired as well?

edit: just commenting on how old he looks there.

Last edited by Cringer : 08-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #242
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Please please please let this be the end of it and we stop talking about Favre until he's eligible for the Hall of Fame. Great career, but man this drawn out retirement was not a good move on his part.

*sigh*
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #243
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Let's bear in mind that Favre's never been asked to be a "game manager" nor is he inclined to fill that role, while Sage has almost certainly never been asked to be anything but a "game manager".

With Sage, the Vikings are looking at a season of 8 defenders in the box and a decent, but hardly stellar record with the playoffs largely dependent on how crappy the rest of the division is.

With Favre, the Vikings could go 4-12 or 12-4.

It's a high-risk, high-reward gamble by a coach who figured he had another season of mediocrity or two before he got axed so instead of following through on trying to build or acquire a long-term solution at QB (and clearly Jackson wasn't it), he's gambling.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #244
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Brett Favre clearly has such a large dick that he can knock people out of the way when they try to go after one of his fumbles. [/ESPN]

Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you think favre can lead a team to 12-4 still?

i'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #246
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The rumors started spreading early Tuesday morning as I was watching Detroit go through a two-hour practice: A private airplane was in Hattiesburg, Miss., waiting to take Brett Favre to Minnesota. I checked in with a few trustworthy people, and their tight-lipped reactions suggested that an event we have considered inevitable at times and impossible at others will become reality.

So here is my unqualified reaction: Call it the three B's. What a Blatant, Brazen and Brilliant ploy to skip training camp and still be given the reins to a Super Bowl-caliber team.

this guy is smoking something...Minnesota a Super Bowl caliber team? That's really fuckin stretching the definition of Super Bowl caliber.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #247
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Brett Favre clearly has such a large dick that he can knock people out of the way when they try to go after one of his fumbles. [/ESPN]

Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #248
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was it really necessary ESPN to show the local coverage from a helicopter showing Favre's car on the way to the Vikings facility? *sigh*
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #249
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
you think favre can lead a team to 12-4 still?

They play in the NFC North. Anything can happen.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #250
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
this guy is smoking something...Minnesota a Super Bowl caliber team? That's really fuckin stretching the definition of Super Bowl caliber.

Great running game, pretty damn good defense (based on last year of course), and Favre. I think Favre will do better then what most think he will do (not saying the levels of GREATNESS, but pretty good). That sounds like a Super Bowl level team. I mean, I take Favre now over Jim McMahon or Mark Rypien or even Trent Dilfer. Maybe I still have the blinders on just a little, I still think he may be able to match last season without the end of season fade.

Now....I do want him to fail. I am a Pacer fan after all. I also wonder wait to see how he starts off. I would expect a slow start based on injuries and no camp. In the end that may help him finish the season though and maybe he new knows what he is doing here.

Still, please fail. Go Pack Go!