Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Look at that damn line!!! UP THE GUT!!!

I forget, do I owe you a playbook?
Yessir.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #252
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tuesday's practice was a little nightmarish. The boys are getting restless. I installed a pro-set series, where the receiver lines up, goes in motion, and essentially lead blocks on the play. Fairly easy concept, but we were having a number of headaches with it. Carlos and Noah look to be our main receivers with this, JD and Bryce the backs. Nick T and Jacob are other options at receiver, but I doubt I use them there. They worry me a bit.

I had to try and get a receiver out there instead of 3 backs due to Carlos's mental state and Connor being out for the game.

To top off the bad practice, we couldn't practice Thursday due to rain. The boys came out, we watched the White Hawk tape and the Steelers, who we play this week.

It was painfully clear that the White Hawks won because of superior blocking. I pointed out over and over where someone hit a guy for a second and let him go...and that guy made the tackle. I hope we are a little more resilient in our blocks today.

The Steelers are 2-5, and look eerily similar to us. They've beat the two teams they should have beat (those teams are 0-14 combined), but didn't beat the rest. They're very simplistic on offense and defense. We should beat these guys handily as we march to the playoffs.

Speaking of, it looks like we're almost guaranteed to be in the 3rd of 5 brackets. I really don't see a scenario where we sneak into the 2nd bracket.

As of right now, that bracket consists of two teams we've played and beat, though I'd be nervous to play them again at this point.

Here are the standings as I know them. There are about 3-5 games where I had to 'assume' a team won. In almost all of the games, I'm positive I'm assuming right. Ties count as half a win...which is figured in. 4 teams in each bracket.

W L T PCT Opp W Opp L SOS
SG 1 6 0 1 18 21 0.462
Tigers 7 0 1 17 29 0.37
White Hawks 6 1 0.857 16 24 0.4
Bulldogs 6 1 0.857 17 26 0.395
Titans 5 1 0.833 10 29 0.256
Trojans 4 2 1 0.75 16 28 0.364
Red Hawks 5 2 0.714 13 29 0.31
SCAC 3 3 2 1 0.7 16 18 0.471
SCAC 1 4 2 0.667 14 25 0.359
Vols 3 3 1 0.583 28 17 0.622
Blue Hawks 4 3 0.571 24 22 0.522
SCAC 2 3 3 0.5 16 23 0.41
Eagles 2 4 0.333 23 16 0.59
Steelers 2 5 0.286 23 20 0.535
SCAC 4 0 4 2 0.25 24 12 0.667
SG 2 0 6 1 0.083 27 15 0.643
Raiders 0 7 0 32 12 0.727
Colts 0 7 0 32 14 0.696
Seahawks 0 7 0 27 17 0.614
Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #253
Poli
FOFC Survivor

As you can see, we've had the unfortunate luck of playing the current #3-6 teams. Additionally, we've beat the team just above us and below us. That adds up to the strongest SOS for a team that actually has a win.

This all leads me to believe that the league had set me up for failure. I'm almost 100% positive of this at this point. Had we not beat SCAC 1 or the Blue Hawks, had we lost instead of tied the Trojans, we'd be 1-6 at this point...and no one would really blame us. That looks like the same schedules handed out to the teams on the bottom: SCAC 4, Raiders, Seahawks, and Colts. Pretty retarded scheduling, in all honesty.

I'm really proud of the boys to have fought through such a tough schedule and to have this season turn out the way it has. We'd probably be 7-0 or 6-1 if we had the Titans schedule, but I can't really help that.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #254
Poli
FOFC Survivor

There are some intriguing matchups that could potentially put us in the 2nd bracket.

Colts @ Blue Hawks. Blue Hawks finish their season with 3 wins over teams that will be a combined 1-23 on the season.

Trojans @ Red Hawks. The Red Hawks are the only wild card I really don't know about. I'm not sure if they beat the Eagles last week or not. If they lose, it would definitely help us to get into the 2nd bracket.

Raiders @ Seahawks. 0-7 teams fight it out. I think the Raiders will win this one.

SCAC 1 @ SCAC 2. If SCAC 2 pulls off the win, that might really be the decider on if we make the 2nd bracket or not. If SCAC 2 loses, we're likely in the 3rd bracket no matter what.

Eagles @ SCAC 4. SCAC 4 doesn't have a win, I don't suspect they'll beat this weak Eagles squad, either.

Bulldogs @SCAC 3. Bulldogs should win this one rather easily.

Titans @ SG 1. Titans need the win to make the first bracket. SG 1 is just trying to hold on. Loser could end up in the 2nd bracket, or this could just be a tune up for a playoff rematch. Titans surprisingly lost to SCAC 1 (we beat them 6-0), 8-6 last week.

White Hawks @ Tigers. I think the Tigers staff will have them ready. I suspect the Tigers roll on this one.

Steelers @ Vols. We need this one to get our confidence back up.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #255
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Oh, and thanks for the playbook, Senator!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #256
Barkeep49
Coordinator

These youth football schedules with the radically uneven schedules is fascinating. You play the hand your dealt and it does seem like your boys have player there hand quite well.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #257
Poli
FOFC Survivor

37 (it might have been 39) to 6 win for the Vols today, refs requested to run the clock in the second quarter and both teams agreed. At that point, it was 25-0 Vols with 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.

Other scores:
Titans reportedly beat SG 1.
Tigers beat the White Hawks 20-0. I'm thrilled with that.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #258
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'll break down the film tonight or tomorrow. Incredible job by the boys.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #259
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Woohoo! Nice to get back on the winning side after 2 consecutive losses.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #260
Pro Rookie

dola - your standings table looks wrong. You have a problem with the ties.
To take your Vols, a 3-3-1 record should give you a .500 winning %, not .583.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #261
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies View Post
dola - your standings table looks wrong. You have a problem with the ties.
To take your Vols, a 3-3-1 record should give you a .500 winning %, not .583.
Wins count as half a win. So, we're really 3.5 as of that standings. In reality, we're now 4.5.

Doing my own investigative work, I believe we'll face the Trojan from our own league again. We're likely to face SCAC 2 and SCAC 3, both of whom lost yesterday.

As it turns out, 5 of our 8 opponents made the top 8 teams. The Trojans finished 9th, despite not being a team that won a game, and we're behind them with the same record. Why? Because at that point, it goes to total points. So, they actually benefit from the weak schedule. Meh.

Anyhow, finishing in the Top 10 with our schedule is an accomplishment to be proud of!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #262
Pro Rookie

A tie should count as half a win. But it also counts as a full game.

So while you do indeed now have 4.5 wins, you've played 8 games, so that would give you a .563 winning %.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #263
Pro Rookie

dola - is that the regular season done by the way? only 8 games on the schedule?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #264
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We win the toss and defer.

Hunter kicks the ball off short, Ray nearly recovers the ball on their 40 yard line. Ray continues this great effort, making the tackle on the first play from scrimmage, strips the ball, and recovers it.

We line up in Trojan, our overshifted shotgun formation where the backs line up behind Ray, Nick C, and Ashanti (who is the overshifted player from the left side. Carlos takes the snap and goes 40 yards, untouched, for the score. Jacob misses the kick, badly. 6-0 Vols.

Hunter gets off a better kick and the Steeler player falls on it. Steelers on their 30. An incorrectly called incomplete pass later (the ball went backwards, it was CLEARLY a lateral), and they try their reverse. JD and Nathaniel make the tackle before they actually get the ball to their receiver, and Carlos makes the recovery after chasing the reverse action. First down on the 30.

Noah is in the game at this point at receiver and holds # 47, the outside linebacker as we try to run outside with Bryce. He doesn't do a great job of either blocking or holding, though # 47 THROWS NOAH TO THE GROUND, but that wasn't called. Steelers actually decline the holding call as Bryce lost a yard on the play. Bryce makes them pay for that one as we run off tackle with him the next play. Bryce cuts back against the grain and scores from 31 yards out. Jacob tries to kick it again, misses again, and we won't try to kick another one all year. 12-0 good guys.

Hunter squibs this kick despite my pleads to kick it deep. Ray nearly recovers it near midfield. Ray strips another football out on the Steelers first play and Hunter recovers the ball. I'm then warned by the head referee that if my assistant coach continues to yell "BALL! BALL!" from the sidelines on every play, that he will call us for a personal foul. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

JD carries off left tackle for 7 and we try to throw a pass to Nick, his brother. Nathaniel's pass is intercepted at the Steeler 41.

The Steelers come out and try to run their trips right formation, though one boy was lost and ran over to the trips side late. They flag him for illegal procedure, a correct call. Carlos intercepts the quick hitch, which we were expecting, and returns it for a score. However, we're flagged for a block in the back. I would say that was incorrect as well, but I'll give the ref the benefit of the doubt at this point. The illegal procedure took place at their 41 yard line and the block in the back at the 23. I'm not a master of referees, but that tells me that we should decline the illegal procedure, they take the penalty and we're backed up to their 33. Instead, they have us take over INCORRECTLY at the 45. This wouldn't GET ON MY NERVES so much if 1. the head referee wasn't a flag happy buffoon or 2. IF HE WASN'T A REFEREE FOR HIGH SCHOOL GAMES.

Bryce comes out and scores on a sweep, though they flag Carlos for holding. I can deal with that. What I can't DEAL WITH IS THAT # 47, as Bryce is near the endzone, TACKLES CARLOS FROM BEHIND AT the 38, and I can clearly see it on the tape. They do see that, flag # 47 for it, however, they call it offsetting. That might actually be the right call, but for as flagrant as a hit as that was, as malicious as it was, I think he should have been ejected. He was trying to hurt Carlos and as he was sent off the field (personal fouls mandate 1 play off, 2 PFs and you're ejected), he yelled back to his team, that "I don't care, he deserved it", which was in earshot of me and the head referee.

Carlos, who hurt his ribcage on the play, wouldn't return for the rest of the half and was gunshy again the rest of the game.

We wedge with JD next and gain 4. Bryce tries to run off tackle right, but is stuffed for no gain, just as the whistle is blown a Steeler dives in to the pile, leading with his helmet, a personal foul that sends the Vols up 15 more yards. #47 got his hands up around Noah's neck when Noah tried to block him, and Noah was crying when we huddled up. Out goes our 2nd receiver thanks to #47 in about 4 plays, and in comes Nick T.

We wedge, despite having Nick T taking his first snap ever at wing, and gain 4. Bryce carries off right tackle for 1, and we call for JD off right tackle. It clogs up quickly and JD turns upfield after bouncing off a blocker and scores from 20 yards out.

At this point, the referee comes to me and tells me to get 28 points as quickly as I can so they can run the clock. JD wedges up the middle for the extra point. 19-0, good guys.

Hunter kicks the kickoff right to one of their players who surprise us all by heading straight upfield. He returns it to our 46.

With Carlos out, we're now down our corner that's on their lone receiver. With some of our subs in on defense, I have to run someone out there and fast. My subs went in for the defensive line and David at linebacker. David is probably the lightest and most athletic of the bunch so I send him back out as the corner.

That turned out to be a good call. Two plays later, David picks off a pass and returns it to the 50 yard line as the first quarter expires.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #265
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies View Post
A tie should count as half a win. But it also counts as a full game.

So while you do indeed now have 4.5 wins, you've played 8 games, so that would give you a .563 winning %.
I see, yeah, I caught that last night, I had updated my formula earlier but it apparently didn't save. I did correct it.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #266
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Jacob starts out the 2nd quarter with a wedge, gains a yard, hurts his back, and runs off the field. JD, not usually the wing these days on that play, lined up as a flanker. I guess that gives us another look.

Bryce would score on the next play, a designed sweep with the crack block that he turns upfield as soon as he sees Ray just open up a HUGE lane. We try our 2nd pass on the extra point. Nick C is wide open, but Nathaniel doesn't loft the ball over the player at the goalline. He jumps and tips the ball away. 25-0 good guys.

Hunter gets off a good kick that the Steelers fall on at their 38. After the kick I'm asked if it's alright if they run the clock continuously to get the game over. The Steelers apparently asked for it, so I agreed.

Three plays later, Layne recovers our fourth fumble of the game at their 40. JD carries off left tackle for 3, Bryce then breaks two tackles off right tackle and is forced out of bounds at the 1 yard line.

With just 1 minute remaining, Jacob has come into the game but Noah had not. We're lucky we're not called for 12 men on the field. Instead, Jacob was lost and never got set so we're flagged instead for an illegal procedure. I send Noah out and we call Nathaniel to keep the ball off the right side. He gains 4 yards on the play. JD scores on the wedge from 1 yard out to get us in the endzone. We try and throw the ball to Ashanti on the play action but Nathaniel is rattled. He doesn't complete the play properly and throws a horrible pass that falls incomplete. Ashanti was wide open. 31-0, good guys.

Steelers fall on the kickoff at their 40 yard line. They score on a busted play as the half expires. Nathaniel ran too far inside and the quarteback ran around him to the outside. Ray, who should have covered the tight end, was instead inside rushing the passer. To his credit, the QB did a great job breaking 2 tackles along the way for the score. The extra point was no good.

Halftime score Vols 31, Steelers 6.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #267
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

nice win!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #268
Poli
FOFC Survivor

JD recovers the 2nd half onside kick at our 45. JD then carries for no gain off the left side and Bryce scores from 55 yards out. However, Nick C is correctly called for a personal foul away from the play and we're backed up 15 yards from the spot to our 40.

Bryce then carries on a sweep for 2. JD wedges for 5. Bryce then carries on 4th-7 and runs for a first down on a sweep to the Steeler 43. Yard carries off tackle by JD and Bryce set up a 3rd and 8, Bryce goes outside for 10 and the first down to the Steeler 31. JD gets another yard and Bryce picks up 14 off tackle as the 3rd quarter expires.

31-6, good guys.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #269
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Steelers never had the ball the entire 3rd quarter.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #270
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Nathaniel carries on our shotgun running set and goes from the 17 to 10 for a gain of 7. Noah, the younger brother, carries on the same play for 2. Ray flips a Steeler completely over on his block.\

I start getting some other kids involved. Jacob carries on the wedge for 2 and the first down. David, the left tackle, carries for no gain on a wedge. Hunter, the left guard, gains 4 on the wedge but loses the ball as he fights through a tackle. Steelers recover on their 2 yard line.

We went 58 yards, taking more than 9 minutes off the clock.

Ray makes what should have been a safety tackle on the first play, but they spot the ball just outside of the endzone.

Ray makes the next tackle and strips the ball. It appeared that Nathaniel recovered it in the endzone for the touchdown. Alex, my backup lineman, wedges but gets just a yard.

37-6, good guys, with 2:30 left in the game.

Jacob is back to kick it off and it goes just 5 yards. He starts yelling at me how he hasn't been the regular kick and I get in his ear right away for that.

Carlos makes a big tackle on the reverse for an 8 yard loss and the Steelers fumble and fall on the last two snaps to end the game.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #271
Poli
FOFC Survivor

For the game:
Nathaniel 0-1 passing, 1 INT.

Rushing:
Bryce 11-153 yards 2TD
JD 10-48 yards 2TD
Carlos 1-40 1TD
Nathaniel 2-11
Jacob 2-3
Hunter 1-4
Noah 1-2
David 1-0

Fumble Recoveries
Ray
Carlos
Hunter
Layne
Nathaniel (I think), 1 TD

INTs
Carlos, David

Tackles
Ray 5
Nick C 4
Carlos 3
Bryce 2
Nathaniel
JD
Layne
Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #272
Barkeep49
Coordinator

After this dismantling I blame WW for your losses.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #273
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
After this dismantling I blame WW for your losses.

Nope, he has losses because of his refusal to use the Run and Shoot.

Handing off is for sissies!

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-26-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #274
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This just in, tie-breakers were different than I expected. We finish ahead of the Trojans and take the #9 spot overall. We are the top team in our bracket and have homefield for the playoffs.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #275
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We play SCAC 2 today. SCAC 2 lost to SCAC 1 (who we beat 6-0), the Blue Hawks (we beat 18-6), the Titans, and the SG 1 (called 'The Impact'). All four teams are quality teams, so losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of. Their three wins, however, came against the bottom feeders. They beat the Steelers, the Seahawks, and the Raiders.

That means they haven't played any of our league's teams. I didn't see them play as I watched future opponents, either. I'm going into this game somewhat blind.

I'm fortunate enough to have found some photos of their team on the field provided by their proud parents, but the usefulness of those is limited. It appears this team will line up in shotgun and throw the ball as well as use a 3 back set. We'll have our hands full.

Defensively, they look like they've very multiple. I've seen them line up with 2 to 4 defensive linemen. We'll probably try running Trojan on them right off the bat and see how it looks.

Practice wise, it was hard to practice without knowing our opponent. We worked on tackling and blocking fundamentals for the most part, as well as lining up for just about everything on defense. We worked on the craptacular trick plays "Wrong Ball" and "Isn't that a penalty?" as well.

Offensively, the only new thing I put in for that pro set was a counter.

Connor will once again be out for this game. Jacob missed Thursday's practice with a fever, but his dad assured me that his son would be there for the game.

Thursday's practice was even more limited as we cut practice early so the boys could go to the local high school game, which is traditionally played on Thursday of this week as teams get ready for the playoffs.

This will be one long day of games. After our game, the Bulldogs play the Titans in the 1st bracket's competition. I will be announcing that game. The next game is our future opponent, win or lose. If we win, we play the winner, if we lose we play the loser. It's between the Trojans and SCAC 3. I've seen SCAC 3 play three times this season, I'll be ready for them. Following that, it's the Tigers vs. The Impact in another 1st bracket match. Following those? 11-12 yr old competition, where some undefeated teams lock horns, one of which is a local team.

I'm sticking around for all of those!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #276
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Volunteers 30, SCAC 6!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #277
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Game recap after the Tennessee-South Carolina game.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #278
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We opened up this morning losing the coin toss. I believe we've only won 2 coin tosses all year. They elected to receive, and we kicked to the north endzone. A fairly decent return set up SCAC 2 on their own 46.

After a 2 yard gain, we jump offsides two plays in a row due to long snap counts and give them a 1st down. Nick C makes a big play in the backfield to help turn the tide and the SCAC Tigers turn the ball over on downs at our 42.

Bryce starts the game out in our shotgun formation run, the Trojan. Bryce gains good yardage, but we're called for holding. Bryce then fumbled away a ball he never put away. SCAC took over on our 34.

Ashanti makes a big hit on first down for a loss, but that's the only highlight of this drive. Nathaniel completely overruns the play and Ray ignores his assignment as he goes for the running back instead of the quarterback. The quarterback scores from 40 yards out. They miss the 2 point kick and we're concerned on the sideline what might happen. To this point, we had not won a game where we had trailed at any point.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #279
Poli
FOFC Survivor

David returns the short kick to the second line for 10 yards to our 45. Carlos takes the ball on Trojan and gains 11 and then 8. Carlos has been killing me as a runner. He hasn't shown much interest in carrying the football after getting hammered by the White Hawks and Titans.

JD takes it up the middle on the wedge for a yard. Bryce takes it off tackle to the right for 2 and the first down on a 3rd and 1. Bryce then tries a sweep for no gain. Carlos then gains 6 on a Trojan and Bryce gets the first down with another sweep for 8 yards.

JD's wedge gets us nowhere and for some reason that play is pretty much a stalemate. Hunter's called for a hold and Bryce gains 4 on Trojan. Facing a 3rd and 15, I convince Carlos to take the ball on Trojan. 25 yards later, we're in the endzone. Finished with attempting kicks, we try to run off tackle. It looked like we got in, but the refs denied it.

Game tied up, 6-6.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #280
Poli
FOFC Survivor

SCAC recovers the kick on their 43. A deep ball falls incomplete even though the receiver was pretty much wide open. Ashanti blew the coverage. Two plays later, Ash redeems himself with the best play he's made all year, and leaping interception that gives us the ball on our 41.

Two holding calls on this drive eventually force us to punt on a 4th and 17. Carlos punts the ball down the middle of the field which is most definitely not by design. SCAC muffs the punt and David recovers it. Carlos scores on the Trojan again, this time from 53 yards out. We attempt to wedge for the extra point and we're denied.

12-6, good guys.

Nick C and Noah make the tackle on the kickoff. However, Noah is flagged for leading with the helmet on the tackle. Layne, Ray, and JD all get their mitts on the ball carrier and drop him for a loss on first down. Layne and Nick C combine for a tackle for loss on 4th down and we take over with just under a minute in the half.

Unfortunately, we don't get anything going and they take over with 3 seconds on the clock. We go prevent defense. Bryce and Ray lined up on the hashes at our 10 yard line. Ashanti and Carlos dropped to our 20. That didn't matter when Layne made the sack for a loss of 8 and to end the half.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #281
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I spent the half talking the boys up about how this game could be 24-6 already. We suffered some poor blocking on the left side which in turn hurt us on the right. I could see them sending their better players to our right side.

Noah took the 2nd half kickoff back to our 48. Three plays later, Carlos once again scores, this time from 48 yards out. The play? Trojan. The play has become our home run. Bryce tried a sweep for the extra point but allegedly had his knee hit the ground before his body went into the endzone.

18-6 good guys.

Ashanti makes the tackle on the kickoff, but not before SCAC returned it to our 38. Two plays later, Carlos intercepts a deep ball at our 21 yard line.

At this point I start shuttling in some subs who rarely see time on offense. Nolan (the Big N) and Alex find their way on the field at left tackle. Nick T is in at tight end. Jacob as our receiver. Eventually we have to punt and they take over on our 43.

Three runs later the quarter ends.

Start of the 4th: 18-6 Vols.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #282
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Here's where I got a little confused.

4th and 9 on our 42. Start of the 4th. They come out of the break punting. PUNTING? Turns out to be a decent call. The punt is eventually picked up by Bryce, but for all the juking and jiving, he ends up on the 8 yard line.

Nolan provided me with another classic moment here. He comes running onto the field and I call for the wedge. I didn't even realize he was there. I send the team out of the huddle and as the team lines up I start hearing Nolan's name. I scan over our offensive formation and then I see Nolan beside Ray. While the whole team is in their 3 point stance and looking forward, Nolan is looking at me with his hands near his shoulders as to ask, "what gives?" I call timeout to get him out of there and start laughing to myself about that.

Three plays later, Bryce scores on Trojan from 83 yards out. The longest play from scrimmage for our team on the season and unofficially for our association at our age level (the other three coaches couldn't recall having a run that long on the year when I spoke with them). JD tries to wedge again, no luck once again. 24-6.

A lineman caught the kickoff at their 48. Three plays later, Nolan makes the tackle. Let me emphasize that. NOLAN MADE A TACKLE.

Once again, we force a three and out. Carlos makes a good return on the punt. We call a pass to Nick C, who got behind the defense and drops the ball. Gah! Jacob wedges for 3 yards and then we pass to Ashanti. Ash isn't ready to catch the pass and it falls incomplete, but he's bumped as the ball comes close and we gain a pass interference call.

We turn the ball over on downs four plays later on their 23 yard line. Two plays later, Carlos picks off a hitch pass and has a Pick 6. Hunter tries to wedge but again we can't make it work.

Ray ends the game with a huge sack that leaves the poor boy on the ground for a minute or two before he finally gets up.

30-6 good guys.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #283
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Stats:
Rushing
Bryce 17-108, 1TD
JD 8-12
Carlos 7-161, 3TD
Nathaniel 3-2
Jacob 1-3

Passing
Nathaniel 0-1

Interceptions
Carlos 2
Ashanti 1

Tackles
Ray 8
Nick C 7
Layne 4
Hunter 3
Ashanti 2
JD 2
Noah 1
Bryce 1
Nolan 1

Sacks
Ray
Layne
Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #284
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
There are some intriguing matchups that could potentially put us in the 2nd bracket.

Colts @ Blue Hawks. Blue Hawks finish their season with 3 wins over teams that will be a combined 1-23 on the season.

Trojans @ Red Hawks. The Red Hawks are the only wild card I really don't know about. I'm not sure if they beat the Eagles last week or not. If they lose, it would definitely help us to get into the 2nd bracket.

Raiders @ Seahawks. 0-7 teams fight it out. I think the Raiders will win this one.

SCAC 1 @ SCAC 2. If SCAC 2 pulls off the win, that might really be the decider on if we make the 2nd bracket or not. If SCAC 2 loses, we're likely in the 3rd bracket no matter what.

Eagles @ SCAC 4. SCAC 4 doesn't have a win, I don't suspect they'll beat this weak Eagles squad, either.

Bulldogs @SCAC 3. Bulldogs should win this one rather easily.

Titans @ SG 1. Titans need the win to make the first bracket. SG 1 is just trying to hold on. Loser could end up in the 2nd bracket, or this could just be a tune up for a playoff rematch. Titans surprisingly lost to SCAC 1 (we beat them 6-0), 8-6 last week.

White Hawks @ Tigers. I think the Tigers staff will have them ready. I suspect the Tigers roll on this one.

Steelers @ Vols. We need this one to get our confidence back up.

Just to recap this:
Blue Hawks won easily, 45-0.
Red Hawks dismantled the Trojans, 36-6.
Seahawks shocked me, beating the Raiders, 19-0.
SCAC 1 beat SCAC 2, 20-0.
Eagles beat SCAC 4, 27-8.
Bulldogs took out SCAC 3, 18-0.
Titans beat the SG 1 Impact 13-0.
Tigers beat the White Hawks, 20-0.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #285
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yesterday's schedule started with our win over SCAC 2.

The Bulldogs (7-1) then took on the Titans (6-1), those arrogant bastards. You wouldn't believe the way they entered the field. They came in as a team from outside the field area about 15 minutes before kickoff chanting the little song, "Everywhere we go...people want to know...". They sang that song as they came down the stands towards the sideline, to the cheers of retards, I mean Titan parents. The ruckus was very distracting, considering we were still on the field playing.

The Bulldogs played them to a stalemate, just like we did. However, they continued to work the outside and finally got free when some of their outside players missed tackles. That's all they needed. Bulldogs win, 12-0.

The Trojans and SCAC 3 took the field after that. I had to announce the first quarter of that game and attempted to do that as I taped the game as well. I wanted the tape most importantly because we played the winner. From the get go, I focused more on SCAC 3, because I felt that was who we would play.

The Trojans played without their quarterback, who allegedly was out for hunting and their 'star' running back, who was out sick. I don't think they would have mattered. SCAC set the tone early, scoring on 4 plays and eventually winning 12-0, though it certainly could have been worse.

The next game was our association's Tigers, playing SG 1, "The Impact". Holy snikes, the Impact have some fast kids. However, the Tigers repeatedly threw the ball on them and won, 22-6.

That win sets up a rematch of the Bulldogs and Tigers. Tigers won the first one, 8-0, on a bootleg with 2 minutes left in the game. This ought to be a good one, and I'm likely the one to announce it.

We'll probably play the game before them as we face SCAC 3.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #286
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm licking my chops after watching that game and then the tape when I got home.

Their defense is retarded simple. Kind of a cover 3 in the secondary, but really it's more of a 3 guys deep in case something goes wrong. They line up with anywhere between 3-5 guys on the line and blitz just about everyone else. Blitzers inside the tackles have to be 3 yards back and they push the envelope with that. On the outside of that, they can be in a 2 point. We should destroy them on that.

Offensively, not very complicated. They don't have a true sweep play. They run a double tight I with a flanker/wing left or right. FB's 3 yards deep, HB's 6 yards deep. Off tackle left and right with both. QB boot/pass after faking. QB sneak as well, which they run pretty well.

They also line up with a double tight trips look, they change out the back who's in the trips. Interestingly enough, the back will line up as if they're in the I when they're in the backfield. Same plays for the most part.

Finally, an empty set where they have two tight ends on the line and three receivers left or right. I know they can throw out of it, I've seen them do it in the past, though they didn't today. QB sneak as well out of this.

They ignore the TE's, so that means we can. Thanks for letting us focus on other things, coach.

I'm incredibly confident we'll be the "Super Bowl" winners for our bracket in 7 days.

Last edited by Poli : 11-03-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #287
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm trying to think of a few wrinkles to throw in off the Trojan play. I know that SCAC 3 is going to come out gunning for it since that's the play we repeatedly scored on.

One will almost have to be a pop pass. I keep waiting for defenses to shift over when they see that play over and over, but to this point everyone has kept two defenders to the outside of our weak side. Should they ever give up on that they'll be in for a nasty surprise.

We'll keep the pro set plays in as well. We haven't actually ran a double wing play besides wedge in two games. We'll look to see if we can't pass and protect the passer this week if they're bringing 8 kids on every snap.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #288
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Looks like we'll have a 10 am kickoff, which allows us a little more sleep, a little more chance to wake up, and a little more chance for us to complain that it's freezing cold at 10 am this Saturday.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #289
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Here are a few photos from the White Hawks game. I stole them from their site. Look at that coach, now he's a stud.

Last edited by Poli : 11-05-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #290
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Big Ray.

Last edited by Poli : 11-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #291
Poli
FOFC Survivor

JD is ready to go.

Last edited by Poli : 11-05-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #292
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Layne and Nick C combine on a tackle.

Last edited by Poli : 11-05-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #293
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Do the photos show up for anyone else or are they just red x's?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #294
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

x
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #295
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Gotcha, I'll take care of that this afternoon.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #296
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Uploaded to my myspace page. Hopefully that'll allow more of you to see them.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #297
Pro Rookie

AE, pics work for me and look great!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #298
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am impressed with the fields, is that field turf?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #299
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It is. Nice to play on, but ruined most of my defensive line coaching for the first half of the year. I told my defensive linemen to "grab grass" if they felt they were getting shoved out of a gap. One drive into our first game on our field and the boys alerted me that they couldn't grab grass on the turf.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I told my defensive linemen to "grab grass" if they felt they were getting shoved out of a gap. One drive into our first game on our field and the boys alerted me that they couldn't grab grass on the turf.

Sorry but ...