Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #501
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
less than 4 hours and he's gone.

How did the regents think it would go? It amazes me the lack of awareness supposedly smart people have.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #502
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How did the regents think it would go? It amazes me the lack of awareness supposedly smart people have.

I think they were trying to pay as little money as possible. Keep the AD, keep the coach, buyout the low man on the totem pole in the strength coach, and force the U pres, who wanted Durkin out, into retirement. Idea went over like a lead balloon, but it was a nice effort.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They seemed to think that sanity may reign in the end.

Instead, they caved to the hysteric mob. It's Maryland, not exactly a shock.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-31-2018 at 08:58 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 PM   #504
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
They seemed to think that sanity may reign in the end.

Instead, they caved to the hysteric mob. It's Maryland, not exactly a shock.

They let a kid lay on the field and die of heat stroke.

How are they not culpable?
Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #505
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They let a kid lay on the field and die of heat stroke.
How are they not culpable?

The trainers fucked up. Which is in the report, not even sure anybody is disputing that.

The rest of it? Seems like a lot of overblown horseshit that pretty much proves that the alleged statements from the strength coach were right on target. Soft, entitled kids raised by whiny ass parents, most of whom will never amount to jackshit since they've just been taught that -- in 2018 -- if you whine long enough cause somebody hurt your feelings or actually expected you to do something, cowards & fools will just make the mean people go away.

What's toxic there seems to be questionable character players they recruited, far more than the staff.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #506
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The trainers work for the coach. He is the CEO.

Someone has to be accountable. A kid is dead. A death that was preventable.

How is this even a debate?
Old 10-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #507
cuervo72
Head Coach

Those whiny-ass parents, wanting their kids to come home all alive and shit. Don't they know this is FOOTBALL? And these low-character* players who dare to think about questioning their betters!

* no, this is not code for anything
Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 PM   #508
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, if your handler tells you to toil on the field, you toil on the field!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 PM   #509
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Rutgers football player charged in attempted double-murder plot

Terrible look for Ash and his program. That's gotta be another strike against him.
Sounds like the program was helping him get counseling for his break up and he was arrested after he made comments to a strength coach that were reported to superiors and the police. So Ash should still be fired for on field things, but sounds like the staff did the right things here.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 PM   #510
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The trainers fucked up. Which is in the report, not even sure anybody is disputing that.

The rest of it? Seems like a lot of overblown horseshit that pretty much proves that the alleged statements from the strength coach were right on target. Soft, entitled kids raised by whiny ass parents, most of whom will never amount to jackshit since they've just been taught that -- in 2018 -- if you whine long enough cause somebody hurt your feelings or actually expected you to do something, cowards & fools will just make the mean people go away.

What's toxic there seems to be questionable character players they recruited, far more than the staff.

Dude...you mention the reports. Bear Bryant in Junction wouldnt have went as far they went in Maryland. A kid had a heat stroke and was allowed to lie on a field alone and cook his brain while EVERYONE carried on and ignored him. If he had been given basic decent care anytime in the 2 hours he laid there hes probably still alive today.

Frankly I think criminal charges are justified.

Quote:
The trainers work for the coach. He is the CEO.

Someone has to be accountable. A kid is dead. A death that was preventable.

How is this even a debate?

This.
I'm all for toughening up football players. I think the game has gotten too soft. But this isnt about toughness. This is about failure to provide basic first aid to a dieing child. And the orders come from the coach.

I cant say much here...except this.
The about face had nothing to do with sponsor backlash and everything to do with the prospect of a zero member recruiting class.

As a parent of a senior high school football player who is a D1 recruit...he'd give up football before he'd ever play for any team that employed Durkin. I'm not alone in that sentiment. That voice was heard today. I promise that.

Ive numerous times expressed the sentiment that football is the last gladiator sport. Players sacrifice their bodies for personal gain. They depend on calm and rational folks to protect them because they are incapable of protecting themselves. When that protection knowingly and willfully disregards their duty this outcome is a given. That it was only 1 is the only surprise.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 10-31-2018 at 11:42 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #511
bob
College Starter

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #512
Atocep
Coordinator

The crew for this Texas/WVU game is shit. Unsportsmanlike like conduct on David Sills for doing a horns down in the endzone after a TD and then WVU's left tackle is ejected for an open handed shove on the PAT.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #513
Atocep
Coordinator

And a dirty hit on Grier knocks him out of the game.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #514
Atocep
Coordinator

28-27 Texas at the half. The officiating has been awful on both sides. WVU got the short end with the Cajuste ejection, but overall the game has been called tighter than any game I can recall watching.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #515
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

UK is a feel-good story that didn't have a shot against UGA and overrated as top 10, but Florida at #11 is a joke.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #516
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU and Texas just played one of the best games of the year. Officials be damned.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #517
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can already see how much tighter the windows are for Tua to throw in than in past weeks.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #518
Atocep
Coordinator

The official's explanation on the horns down penalty was that it was done to incite the crowd. Which means any hand signals (horns up, gator chomp, tomahawk chop) done toward the crowd while playing on the road should be penalized.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-03-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #519
Ksyrup

Inciting a crowd can be positive or negative. When the defense is imploring the crowd to get louder, they should also be flagged.

A&M should start the game with a 15 yard penalty for having a 12th man.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #520
Ksyrup

If you watched any of the UF game, Mizzou players were Gator-chomping all game. But perhaps the refs judged the crowd to be too depressed to get incited.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #521
tarcone
Coordinator

Terrible game for Iowa.

Will finish 8-4. What a disappointment. I dont know wh I get disappointed. Its what we are.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #522
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
UK is a feel-good story that didn't have a shot against UGA and overrated as top 10, but Florida at #11 is a joke.

Hey let me enjoy a nice win over a rated team.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #523
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Can Bobby Petrino survive this?

Especially with Jurich no longer AD..the team has quit on him

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-04-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #524
Ksyrup

Petrino has been rumored out for over a month. Rumblings are that they won't/can't afford the buy out, but oddly I believe the buy out goes up AFTER this year, so it might be better to cut him now.

The other reason why he is likely gone is Jeff Brohm. I don't have any idea if Brohm wants to come back home and coach UL, but if he does and UL has the chance to get a hot coach, Petrino has no shot at staying.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #525
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Petrino has been rumored out for over a month. Rumblings are that they won't/can't afford the buy out, but oddly I believe the buy out goes up AFTER this year, so it might be better to cut him now.

The other reason why he is likely gone is Jeff Brohm. I don't have any idea if Brohm wants to come back home and coach UL, but if he does and UL has the chance to get a hot coach, Petrino has no shot at staying.

I'm not even sure he WANTS to stay.
After the death of his father, he just doesn't seem to enjoy the game anymore
Old 11-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #526
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, he's out one way or another after the season. Rumors are that he's fallen back into his old off the field habits, but that could very well be Louisville trying to avoid the buyout.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #527
Atocep
Coordinator

Beatty out at Kansas. Sounds like he'll stay through the end of this season.

Kansas going after Les Miles.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #528
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Terrible game for Iowa.

Will finish 8-4. What a disappointment. I dont know wh I get disappointed. Its what we are.

I am a little biased, but I saw an Iowa team who stuck in it against an underrated team at home, nearly winning despite playing from behind almost all game. I know they’re not where you want them to be but I didn’t think their effort was bad at all - just had some big play lapses.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #529
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you thought you heard a very angry noise sometime early Saturday afternoon that was probably me reacting to the Ole Miss QB play.

If you looked back you'd almost certainly find an angry outburst from me about his performance vs Arkansas when I was there 53 weeks ago. I'll be damned if he didn't bail out almost exactly the same way this weekend.

I've not had a player elevate me to white hot rage at the college level to this extent since Reggie (F'n) Ball.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #530
digamma
Torchbearer

The LSU jokes write themselves.

kailss on Twitter: "when you’re face is all you see when you open social media… "
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #531
bob
College Starter

Quote:
If you thought you heard a very angry noise sometime early Saturday afternoon that was probably me reacting to the Ole Miss QB play.

If you looked back you'd almost certainly find an angry outburst from me about his performance vs Arkansas when I was there 53 weeks ago. I'll be damned if he didn't bail out almost exactly the same way this weekend.

I've not had a player elevate me to white hot rage at the college level to this extent since Reggie (F'n) Ball.

Did he throw the ball away on 4th down?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #532
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I am a little biased, but I saw an Iowa team who stuck in it against an underrated team at home, nearly winning despite playing from behind almost all game. I know they’re not where you want them to be but I didn’t think their effort was bad at all - just had some big play lapses.

I was more afraid of Purdue than anyone else on our schedule. We do not match up against a team like that very well.

I felt our play calling was bad. We rushed 4 and dropped 7 and let the QB pick us apart. We should have gone the MSU route and pressured the crap out of the QB. But, no. win or lose we do it our way.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #533
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Did he throw the ball away on 4th down?

Couldn't slide fast enough rather than even make an effort to convert on a critical third down.

Most gutless player I've ever seen at this level, zero heart whatsoever.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #534
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

I guess they don't emphasize grammar that much at LSU?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #535
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Really hoping Louisville can't come up with the money to buy-out Petrino. Jeff Brohm is an incredible coach and is doing some amazing things with one of worst hands that could be dealt to a Power 5 coach. I really hope he likes the idea of competing for the B1G West year and year out and isn't ready to go back to the shit show that is UL right now.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #536
molson
General Manager

Not sure I'd ever see a time again where the Syracuse football team was ranked higher than the Syracuse basketball team. Or even that the Syracuse football team would be ranked at all (it's been since 2001 that they were). So it's crazy to see them at #13 in the CFB rankings with only very close losses to Clemson and Pitt on the road. The Clemson loss, in particular, was a real missed opportunity since they caught Clemson at the absolute perfect time (right in the middle of the QB thing and with Clemson down to their 3rd QB after an injury).

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2018 at 01:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #537
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Really hoping Louisville can't come up with the money to buy-out Petrino. Jeff Brohm is an incredible coach and is doing some amazing things with one of worst hands that could be dealt to a Power 5 coach. I really hope he likes the idea of competing for the B1G West year and year out and isn't ready to go back to the shit show that is UL right now.

I, of course, am rooting for the opposite. Welcome to Louisville, Jeff!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #538
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Not sure I'd ever see a time again where the Syracuse football team was ranked higher than the Syracuse basketball team. Or even that the Syracuse football team would be ranked at all (it's been since 2001 that they were). So it's crazy to see them at #13 in the CFB rankings with only very close losses to Clemson and Pitt on the road. The Clemson loss, in particular, was a real missed opportunity since they caught Clemson at the absolute perfect time (right in the middle of the QB thing and with Clemson down to their 3rd QB after an injury).

On the flipside, FSU football is a shitshow and their basketball team annihilated UF last night (they had as big a lead as Duke over UK at one point and ended up coasting to a 20+ point win).

My daughter is good friends with a kid down the street who is a huge Notre Dame fan. They go to quite a few of the ND games. Mackenzie has wanted to go to an FSU game forever. So this past summer, his dad offered to get us tickets and we'd go to this weekend's game together. Of course, I said yes.

Two weeks into the season, I was regretting that decision and the $350 for tickets pretty badly. And now, the weekend is upon us and not only is FSU going to get kicked up and down the field, but it's going to be below freezing at kickoff. I now know why I never go to live sporting events.

On the plus side, I've never been to South Bend, so I can say I've been. I told Mack to come up with a new meme in case the cameras zoom in on us when it's 50-0 - the deadpan "kiss my ass" stare was taken last weekend at LSU.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #539
Ksyrup

So here's where FSU football is... Ian Book out for ND due to a rib injury. FSU is now the team you sit your banged up QB against to prepare for Syracuse. 52-16.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #540
bronconick
College Starter

All they need is the entire Notre Dame defense to get food poisoning and FSU might cover the +17.5 line.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #541
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
So here's where FSU football is... Ian Book out for ND due to a rib injury. FSU is now the team you sit your banged up QB against to prepare for Syracuse. 52-16.

Notre Dame hasn't beaten anyone that badly all year, and they played Ball State.

Florida State may be atrocious, but they can actually stop the run if they choose to. It's just a matter of if their offense can be bothered to do anything. I'm thinking more like 42-24.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #542
Ksyrup

Factoring in the weather, I don't see us scoring that much. And maybe ND won't have to play all that hard and not run it up, but the flipside is, this is a chance to have a lopsided score against a name opponent (even if the name is tarnished at the moment). They kinda need to keep up with Clemson, since this is a common opponent.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #543
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Factoring in the weather, I don't see us scoring that much. And maybe ND won't have to play all that hard and not run it up, but the flipside is, this is a chance to have a lopsided score against a name opponent (even if the name is tarnished at the moment). They kinda need to keep up with Clemson, since this is a common opponent.

Is FSU really THAT BAD that they have zero chance in this game? As a ND fan this game scares me (although as a ND fan every game seems to scare me).
Old 11-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #544
Ksyrup

Yes. They are terrible. No offensive line and still no clue on how to play offense/defense, sloppy, lining up wrong, looking at each other with no idea what play calls are, 10+ penalties a game, etc.

I know Jimbo royally screwed us last year by stopping to coach, recruit, etc. as early as September, and OL has always been a problem (Rick Trickett routinely under-recruited and "coached them up"), but Taggart's inability to at least get the basics down this far into the season is extremely troubling. I think against Clemson, we had 4 illegal formation penalties. WTF?

We are second to last in D-1 in average yards per rush (2.9). Only San Jose State is worse.

So yeah, if we beat ND at ND in 20 degree weather, ND deserves to drop out of the top 25.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #545
Butter
Coordinator

Counterpoint, ND could very easily have lost to Vanderbilt at home.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #546
Ksyrup

I don't see any chance for FSU unless the defense plays out of its mind. And usually when they try to do that, the offense provides no help and the D either gets tired and eventually caves, or just gives up. But usually, they just run around looking clueless while WRs are wide open. It helps that the better QB is out for this game, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

The closest we've come to playing a complete game for 4 quarters was against WF, and we were down 10-0 halfway through the 1st quarter in that game.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #547
molson
General Manager

Quote:
On the flipside, FSU football is a shitshow and their basketball team annihilated UF last night (they had as big a lead as Duke over UK at one point and ended up coasting to a 20+ point win).

Yes, Syracuse hasn't beaten anybody and they have an inflated poll number due to other teams losing....I don't have any great aspirations for them, but winning 7 (hopefully at least 8 with Louisville still on the schedule) games of any manner is still pretty novel for them. They've only won 9 or more once since my Sophomore year there in 1997.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #548
Ksyrup

They are a solid team. We barely beat you last year. You can see the team getting better year after year.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #549
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Is FSU really THAT BAD that they have zero chance in this game? As a ND fan this game scares me (although as a ND fan every game seems to scare me).

Yeah, I think they really are that bad.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #550
Ksyrup

Thank God we didn't get GT this year. I bet you guys would have run for 900 yards because there's no way this coaching staff would have had our defense ready to deal with the option.