Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Jim's Non-update

The Proverbial Non-Update Update

I promised to update everyone about the future of Front Office Football by the end of September. As we’re closing in on this date, I’m providing that update, but I have not made any decisions.

I was fairly certain I would have those decisions made by now, but they’re somewhat dependent on events which are out of my control.

I have been evaluating what I have in what we were calling Front Office Football 9. It needs a lot of custom artwork and it probably needs to be converted from Qt (which we were using as a framework base) back to a more familiar framework. Qt can do a lot of things, but every little change is time-consuming as all get-out and there are some serious incompatibilities with how it serves tables and what I need it to do. I would also have to redesign the framework to back out of using FaceGen since we never did the pieces that require our own custom artwork.

In the meantime, I’ve been working on my drawing skills and also how to better use custom artwork. The results look nice, but I’m stretching what that familiar framework can do. Plus, I need to redo the menu system and convert the framework to do paging the way pretty much every other game in the universe does it (spreading windows all over dual monitors is a lot of fun, but it destroys your review scores). So I’m not certain I could have FOF9 done by next fall.

I hope to have a real update by the end of October, but, then again, I thought I was being fairly conservative by saying end of September.

NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Regarding his FaceGen comment I did this up for the JV competition recent release in that forum. Not professional but reflects a possibility. It's obvious though that this is the least of the challenges.

Last edited by NawlinsFan : 09-26-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

It's obvious though that this is the least of the challenges.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:46 AM   #4
james17
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawlinsFan View Post
The Proverbial Non-Update Update

I promised to update everyone about the future of Front Office Football by the end of September. As we’re closing in on this date, I’m providing that update, but I have not made any decisions.

I was fairly certain I would have those decisions made by now, but they’re somewhat dependent on events which are out of my control.

I have been evaluating what I have in what we were calling Front Office Football 9. It needs a lot of custom artwork and it probably needs to be converted from Qt (which we were using as a framework base) back to a more familiar framework. Qt can do a lot of things, but every little change is time-consuming as all get-out and there are some serious incompatibilities with how it serves tables and what I need it to do. I would also have to redesign the framework to back out of using FaceGen since we never did the pieces that require our own custom artwork.

In the meantime, I’ve been working on my drawing skills and also how to better use custom artwork. The results look nice, but I’m stretching what that familiar framework can do. Plus, I need to redo the menu system and convert the framework to do paging the way pretty much every other game in the universe does it (spreading windows all over dual monitors is a lot of fun, but it destroys your review scores). So I’m not certain I could have FOF9 done by next fall.

I hope to have a real update by the end of October, but, then again, I thought I was being fairly conservative by saying end of September.

Just keep at it, Jim. There's no doubt in my mind you'll have an improved product in the end.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
fstarz1369
n00b

Rock on Jim.. best football sim out there, We're with ya
fstarz1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

I'll got my money ready for you.
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
RD
n00b

This project has a good possibilty of sailing into the sunset
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #8
thefatcat
n00b

OOTP really did a job on Jim didn't they. They have a lot to answer for!
thefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Why not hire contractors from upwork and crowd source the work via kickstarter or something.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
fortheglory
Mascot

I have a bad feeling this is going to once again mean no Mac version (if anything is released at all)
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #11
Jukeman
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatcat View Post
OOTP really did a job on Jim didn't they. They have a lot to answer for!

Considering how the world turned out, it was the right decision on their part.
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote