Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2024, 12:31 AM   #10001
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, if you had told me back in 1999 when a young wrestler named K-Krush that won the new NWA-Wildside TV Title would someday feel like a surefire WWE Hall of Famer .... I probably would have suggested you find a good rehab program.

Fast forward 25 years and the absolute delight of a character that R-Truth has become is just amazing.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:45 PM   #10002
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It appears that NJPW's Alex Coughlin has been forced to retire.

Rumors point to a medical issue, possibly neck injury/condition.

This seems to be what David Finlay referenced the other day about losing one of his War Dogs, though there had been no word about it from Coughlin until a Tweet on Saturday. I do hope that Finlay's reference didn't force Coughlin to reveal it sooner than he was ready for.

If this is as it appears, a damned shame.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:57 PM   #10003
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Y'know, if you had told me back in 1999 when a young wrestler named K-Krush that won the new NWA-Wildside TV Title would someday feel like a surefire WWE Hall of Famer .... I probably would have suggested you find a good rehab program.

Fast forward 25 years and the absolute delight of a character that R-Truth has become is just amazing.

What's crazy is he looks like he has barely aged. Insane that he is 52!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:39 PM   #10004
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What's crazy is he looks like he has barely aged. Insane that he is 52!
I thought this was about Pumpy for half a second
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:08 PM   #10005
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Ugh, just realized that the Monday after Wrestlemania also happens to be the day of the eclipse. I am driving back from Philadelphia to Toronto that day. Which is essentially going to be impossible, since Niagara Falls has declared a state of emergency, and are expecting to get approximately 1 million visitors that day. I looked up hotels on the way, and Buffalo hotels are going for $800+ USD. That's insane. So it looks like we'll be staying in a hotel at Mansfield, PA, which is as close as I can get on the way to the border before hitting the maniacal pricing. Ah well. What are the odds.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:26 PM   #10006
RainMaker
General Manager

Edge seems to be doing good work in AEW but I find the whole thing kind of sad. He's holding a midcard title fighting Zack Ryder on their B or C show for an audience of like 400k people. I'm sure he's being paid incredibly well but have to wonder if he regrets not taking less to stay in WWE where he could probably still do some interesting stuff. Especially now that HHH is booking it all.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:47 PM   #10007
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Edge seems to be doing good work in AEW but I find the whole thing kind of sad. He's holding a midcard title fighting Zack Ryder on their B or C show for an audience of like 400k people. I'm sure he's being paid incredibly well but have to wonder if he regrets not taking less to stay in WWE where he could probably still do some interesting stuff. Especially now that HHH is booking it all.

I don't get any sense of regret from him. He's just winding down wrestling pals and the occasional random, I think that's probably all he cared to be doing at this point.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:29 PM   #10008
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't really get the booking of Jay White. Not sure if he should be in the main event or anything, but getting absolutely beaten to a pulp from a 60 year old man last night isn't the best look. I like Billy Gunn too but come on.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:17 PM   #10009
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There's an Indy wrestling event tonight to honor one of the pioneers of the Internet Wrestling Community, Dean Rasmussen (of deathvalleydriver.com, a board I hang out at).. it's good stuff.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:54 AM   #10010
PilotMan
Head Coach

Do we think WM will be worth the full watch this year? Is it worth 2 days?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:59 AM   #10011
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Do we think WM will be worth the full watch this year? Is it worth 2 days?

I haven't kept with it as much as I wanted to, but people seem really, really excited about it. Greatest build in years, hot main event angles, loaded card.

I don't know if I can find 8 hours this weekend to get through it, but, I'll start it and probably take a few days to get through it all.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:15 AM   #10012
RainMaker
General Manager

Good for Mark Briscoe. That was a great moment.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:47 PM   #10013
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty good first night. Sami-Gunther was phenomenal. Thought the main event was great too. The only disappointment was the Uso match which didn't seem to click.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:24 AM   #10014
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Usos match reminded me of the Williams sisters finals in tennis. I would like to say it was good acting but it just looked uncomfortable.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:26 AM   #10015
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I think if you cut every match down by 30% you've got yourself an all-time great show last night.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:07 AM   #10016
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

now THAT'S more like it
Old 04-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #10017
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
now THAT'S more like it

I thought about your earlier post at the end of the show. I have to go back and watch it again but everything up to Cody taking the mic and asking Triple H and Bruce Prichard to come out to the ring was brilliant. I thought it was the perfect sign off moment. The rest felt like something that would have been better for the behind the scenes or extras menu of a DVD.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 03:19 PM   #10018
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought it was a really good show. Usually not a fan of tons of run-ins and stuff in big matches, but they did this real well. The pop for the Undertaker was crazy.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:29 PM   #10019
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If instead of Taker's bell we got broken glass, that stadium would have exploded
Old 04-08-2024, 05:34 PM   #10020
RainMaker
General Manager

I think I saw someone report that Austin was supposed to be there but his wife got sick and he couldn't make it.

Regardless, that pop was pretty monumental too for Undertaker.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:22 PM   #10021
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Well, just got back from Philly today. It was a long weekend.

Cool thing that happened, is that we basically bumped into The Rock on the way back from the WWE World show. He was staying at the hotel (Ritz-Carlton) beside ours, and was going to the Wolf gym across the street, right off Broad St. The bodyguard (2 of them) essentially body checked my son out of the way. The Rock was pretty inconspicuous, with a hoodie pulled up. No one else had any idea it was him.

My son ended up coming back a few minutes later to see if he could get a pic during the exit, but Dwayne actually went out through the back door, a few people leaving the gym confirmed that he had already left.

Night 1 was pretty good. The Sami Zayn / Gunther match was incredible. The main event was much, much too long. I think they said there were 22 minutes of intros and several minutes even after the bell rung before there was any action at all. But it was well received overall. The first real Rock match since 2013 was a special treat. Every crowd enjoys booing him at first, but he's so good at what he does, that it's hard to keep booing.

Night 2 was much better. MITB cash-in was crazy over. The crowd went nuts. You might hear the chants "turn the light off" or "we can't see" in the first third of the show, there were some production lights around the top that were pointed right at the stands, and it was quite blinding. The crowd was getting so pissed off that they eventually started chanting "Chris Benoit" and "Vince McMahon". The huge pop that happened just as LA Knight was about to win was because the lights were finally turned off. Unbelievable response to the main event for this one. It was another long match, but all the interference actually played off well with the live crowd. I think the pop when Cody won is the loudest pop I have ever heard at a wrestling show. I turned around to my son after the show was over and just said "Not bad, but not that much happened". LOL. It was certainly an important weekend in terms of storylines for the company, and almost all the major championships changing hands.

I wasn't really too excited about going, it was really for my son, but the storytelling has definitely improved over the VKM time. I'm going to keep watching.

Also, drivers in Philly like to honk their horns. A LOT. Our hotel was right off Broad St. and it continued until about 3am every night! Why so horny?

Update #2: And it was cold. So cold. It wasn't just the temperature, it was crazy windy up in the nosebleeds. I was wearing my winter jacket. I'm fron Northern Ontario, and I don't get cold. But I was shivering like crazy by the end of the show.

Last edited by Mota : 04-09-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:38 PM   #10022
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

RIP Akebono Taro, the former sumo Yukozuna (as Akebono) a who had a Wrestlemania Sumo match against the Big Show, as well as a lackluster MMA career.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-10-2024 at 11:40 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:23 AM   #10023
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Between Ospreay responding to Triple H’s WM presser about not wanting guys who don’t want to grind early in their careers and releasingthe backstage brawl footage and it being pretty much exactly as CM Punk describes I am really worried about the state of AEW today.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:57 AM   #10024
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, WWE is poking at them a lot right now, but AEW is responding to everything. WWE is hot, so people believe them. CM Punk was super over at Wrestlemania, they obviously did not see the Punk that AEW fans watched the last 2 years. So that video is just going to reinforce their preconceived notions, nobody ever changes their mind on the internet.

Best thing for AEW to do is to stay away from anything WWE related, and try to create their own viral moments.

Add-on comment: I've actually seen fans say "Yeah, he just choked him a bit", like it wasn't a big deal. I'm sorry, I don't physically assault my co-workers when we disagree on things.

Last edited by Mota : 04-11-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #10025
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Add-on comment: I've actually seen fans say "Yeah, he just choked him a bit", like it wasn't a big deal. I'm sorry, I don't physically assault my co-workers when we disagree on things.

Punk actually said that so they are just repeating it, but there is more to that than you are saying. I assume you probably don’t work in something like wrestling and I also assume that no one at your work is/was/has publicly disrespected you on TV no less. And if they did I assume that management would probably intervene but let’s assume they didn’t. I guessing when you confronted them they probably wouldn’t challenge you to a fight in front of all your coworkers.

I mean there is a lot more here than attacking your coworker over a disagreement.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #10026
RainMaker
General Manager

I just don't get what they gain from this. No one really disputes that they fired Punk or had some cause for it. And I'm guessing most casual wrestling fans don't care or don't know what the fuck they're talking about on the show.

So you showed a security cam video of a scuffle backstage? What's the point? Maybe they get a slight ratings bump for that show but I don't see how it helps them moving forward. The company feels more like WCW every day.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:40 PM   #10027
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I'm guessing most casual wrestling fans don't care or don't know what the fuck they're talking about on the show.

Are there really any casuals watching AEW at this point?
Old 04-11-2024, 02:56 PM   #10028
molson
General Manager

The funniest thing is remembering Tony Khan's comment that he feared for his life.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:58 PM   #10029
RainMaker
General Manager

I was expecting more considering all the talk around it. Seems like a scuffle backstage which I imagine happens a lot in the wrestling business.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:18 AM   #10030
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The funniest thing is remembering Tony Khan's comment that he feared for his life.

Fearing for his life may have been a stretch, but I doubt Tony's ever had anyone come at him like that before. And who knows what Punk says to him in that moment. He points and lunges at him and clearly says something while doing it. But at the end of the day, you've got Jerry Lynn and Chris Hero right there, so any potential violence gets broken up pretty quickly.

It seems like the real winner in terms of showing the video may have been Jack Perry, whose Scapegoat shirt immediately sold out after the video and who was, by all accounts, massively over last night at the NJPW show in Chicago - and really leaned into all things Punk at that.

Also, it's a shame for Punk that his UFC opponents didn't have long hair that he could grab onto to get them into a front headlock position.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:51 PM   #10031
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Also, it's a shame for Punk that his UFC opponents didn't have long hair that he could grab onto to get them into a front headlock position.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:09 PM   #10032
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Fearing for his life may have been a stretch, but I doubt Tony's ever had anyone come at him like that before. And who knows what Punk says to him in that moment.

Literally everything else Punk has said about it seems to check out based on the video (unlike Kahn who among other things claims he was almost killed by a falling light) so I would tend to believe that what was said was, “This place is a fucking joke man. You are a clown. I quit.”
Old 04-17-2024, 06:58 PM   #10033
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Literally everything else Punk has said about it seems to check out based on the video (unlike Kahn who among other things claims he was almost killed by a falling light) so I would tend to believe that what was said was, “This place is a fucking joke man. You are a clown. I quit.”

"I didn't punch anybody." Technically true I suppose; he swung and missed.

"[Samoa Joe] told me to stop, and I quit." It looked more like Jerry Lynn and Chris Hero pulled him off, and then he lunged at Tony. But Samoa Joe was there and probably told him to stop.

"I turned to Tony and said... I quit" Again, more like turned and lunged towards him while Lynn and Hero were holding him back.

Punk also presented himself as calm and the voice of reason in the situation ("I thought I was doing a responsible thing") while he's clearly anything but in the video. The Chael Sonnen reference is also entirely inapplicable. I don't think anyone would question Wand was clearly the aggressor in that situation and Sonnen was defending himself. By quoting Sonnen, Punk suggests that he made physical contact first to defend himself, and omits the fact that he waited until Perry was putting his hair up in a bun to attack. He also conveniently omits grabbing Perry by the hair to be in a position to "choke [him] a little bit."

But yes, apart from these half-truths and omissions, pretty much happened as he said.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote