Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #301
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Yesterday was a rough day for us.

We traveled to Ft Worth for a short two day visit to the grandparents house for swimming, relaxation and horse rides. Everything went really well until last night. My kids were taking turns riding one of the horses and Zachary (4) had already ridden and Ean (almost 3) was taking his turn when the horse spooked and sent him flying.

He came down on his head, on a rock. There was blood everywhere but he didn't get knocked out. A friend, who is a nurse, rushed us to the childrens hospital. She called ahead and when we got there they took us in right away. He was in a lot of pain, but stayed awake.

They did some blood work, xrays and a CT scan, and everything came back negative. You have no idea how scary it was to see your baby in a neck collar. He was alright except for the 2 in crescent shaped gash on his forehead and the numerous scrapes under his left eye.

He did his so well, and after a little more crying and 17 stiches (13 exterior, 4 interior) he got to go back home. We are traveling back to our house today. I am hoping that we don't have any problems in the airport with all the extra security. It was a good trip, just ended with more excitement then any of us would ever hope for.

Please put my "tiny" in your thoughts and prayers as he heals over the next few weeks.

PM

Ugh. I'm very sorry to hear that, Pilotman. Brings back some bad memories for me.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #302
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

For me as well (mentioned upthread somewhere). Sorry to hear about what happened. He's got some prayers coming.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #303
ibnsgirl
H.S. Freshman Team

That is rough, PM. I'm glad to hear that your son is on the mend!

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately. It seems like there has been so much going on of late.

Last month, Lucy turned 1, and we had a little party for her. It was threatening to rain and it did sprinkle a little, so not a whole lot of people showed up. That was probably just as well. Lucy did really well; she is doing so much better around other people. It was also really good that my mom and Tony's parents came to our apartment for the party (they hadn't been here since she was a few weeks old). Lucy was soooo much more comfortable and willing to interact with everybody. Singing “Happy Birthday” kind of freaked her out, but she regained her composure and then gave and in-depth explanation about, well, something. Overall, a good day was had by all.

I don’t even remember when I updated anything last, but Lucy is walking (and trying to run), trying to climb on everything that is under a foot tall, and she still has just one, lonely chomper.

We are also going to be moving in the foreseeable future! Tony got a promotion/transfer to a town that is about an hour from where we are now so he is commuting, but we want to get somewhere closer. We’ve made several trips to the area house-hunting, and Lucy has really been a trooper.

We are hoping to have a house on few acres, maybe to have a few animals, including my horse (who’s currently living at my mom’s). While I’m looking forward to having Ben right there, don’t think that it hasn’t crossed my mind all the scenarios of having a toddler near a horse.

Between house-hunting and starting our own mini-ranch, I’m sure that there is fodder for a dynasty, but I’m not sure I’d do all that great a job of keeping it updated right now. Maybe soon… Until then, visit beaches.com! That is classic, Wolfpack!
Thanks to my supporters: TonyR (SA Griffins FC), sterlingice (Houston Hippopotami), TK (Real Terps FC), the notorious pirate AE (Puke Green Sox FC), Krondor (Krondor Lancers), Dark Affair (Orient Express), and tucker rocky (Jacksonville Kickers).
ibnsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:24 AM   #304
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Yesterday was a rough day for us.

We traveled to Ft Worth for a short two day visit to the grandparents house for swimming, relaxation and horse rides. Everything went really well until last night. My kids were taking turns riding one of the horses and Zachary (4) had already ridden and Ean (almost 3) was taking his turn when the horse spooked and sent him flying.

He came down on his head, on a rock. There was blood everywhere but he didn't get knocked out. A friend, who is a nurse, rushed us to the childrens hospital. She called ahead and when we got there they took us in right away. He was in a lot of pain, but stayed awake.

They did some blood work, xrays and a CT scan, and everything came back negative. You have no idea how scary it was to see your baby in a neck collar. He was alright except for the 2 in crescent shaped gash on his forehead and the numerous scrapes under his left eye.

He did his so well, and after a little more crying and 17 stiches (13 exterior, 4 interior) he got to go back home. We are traveling back to our house today. I am hoping that we don't have any problems in the airport with all the extra security. It was a good trip, just ended with more excitement then any of us would ever hope for.

Please put my "tiny" in your thoughts and prayers as he heals over the next few weeks.

PM

That must have been really scary! I'll have tiny in my thoughts PM
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #305
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry I never got around to posting this.

Introducing Noah William Brown. Born on July 13th, will be 8 weeks this Thursday. Was 8 lbs 1 oz and 20 1/2 in.

vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #306
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Vex: Congrats! Way to go!
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #307
Radii
Head Coach

congrats!!!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #308
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

congrats Will but tell me this, the little thing is not even two months old and there you are, staying late at night playing a network game of FM2006??? Woah, you're a tougher man than I

FM
Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #309
Lorena
Unregistered

Aww... what a cutie Vex! Grats
Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #310
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Adorable baby, congrats Vex.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #311
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
congrats Will but tell me this, the little thing is not even two months old and there you are, staying late at night playing a network game of FM2006??? Woah, you're a tougher man than I

FM

He was actually spending the night at his grandparents, so it worked out well

Last edited by vex : 09-05-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #312
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

From a blog my wife enjoys reading:

Quote:
Dear Leta,

A couple of days ago you turned thirty-one months old. I’m pretty damn glad this month is over, to tell you the truth, and not because of anything you have done. In fact, you are probably the one thing that has pulled our bodies through the thick mud of the last few weeks, through the crappy pea soup of circumstances that sometimes happen when you are responsible for putting things back together after they have gone terribly wrong. It’s called Being an Adult, and it totally sucks. Many nights your father and I will fall lifeless into bed, and in the moments before we both fall asleep one of us will turn to the other and say, “I want gum. Pink gum.” Those are the first words out of your mouth every morning, and it’s our way of reminding each other of what we have to look forward to, of the reason our lives are really quite wonderful. It’s impossible to dwell on the more difficult parts of life when you live with someone who farts and then routinely screams, often in public, “Daddy tooted!”

Mornings are your most talkative time, and after demanding a piece of gum and before I’ve even lifted you out of the crib you start asking for various items from the kitchen as if ordering from a menu:

“A cup of water. Big. With ice in it.”

“Strawberry coptart. Not hot.”

“Chitchen. Four. With mustard. And tetchup.”

If I bring you water in the wrong cup, or fix you a poptart that has no icing, you become so unnecessarily insolent that if I were your server I would secretly spit into your Diet Coke. You will only eat a specific brand of chicken nuggets, ones shaped like the silhouettes of dinosaurs, and in the most recent bag we bought there was one piece that must have gotten caught in the machine at the manufacturing plant. Two dinosaurs had fused into one giant lump, and I actively avoided serving it to you until it was one of the only pieces left. I was hoping that maybe you wouldn’t notice the odd piece, and you didn’t until you had already dipped it in ketchup and brought it to your mouth. That’s when the monstrosity locked eyes with you and ate your face off. There was a lot of blood, a lot of splintered wood where the deformed dinosaur had wrestled you to the ground, had confronted you with its Wrongness, and afterward as I mopped up the carnage your father mentioned that he had avoided serving you that exact piece, too. Do you know how embarrassing it is to realize that you have rearranged your life for a chicken nugget?

Just one day previous to that incident we were all sitting around the table having lunch together, you and I and your father and the babysitter, when you refused to eat the chicken we had cooked for you. This is not uncommon — see: every post I have ever written about your eating habits — and my take on this now is to completely ignore you. Whether or not you eat a particular meal is going to have very little effect on whether or not you make it to your next birthday, so I no longer spend any energy worrying about this. Your father, however, cannot stifle the DNA given to him by his own father, and when you rebel this way he feels an irresistible need to prove just how much control he has as a parent, and more importantly, as a man. “Leta!” he said as he gripped the top of the table with his fists. “You see all three of us sitting here? We are all your bosses. Mama is your boss, Katey is your boss, Daddy is your boss. Your bosses are telling you to EAT YOUR CHICKEN.” It wasn’t the most convincing argument he has ever made, but it was probably his loudest. You sat very quietly with your hands in your lap, and after shooting both me and the babysitter a quick look you pointed straight at your father and said in a tone that gave him the first glimpse of the hell his life will be when, several years from now, you and I end up having our periods during the same week, “Mama is the boss OF YOU!”

This month we have spent many afternoons playing with your ugly plastic baby dolls, pushing them around the house in strollers and wrapping them in blankets to keep them warm during the long, cold summer. You love to put together puzzles, draw flowers, jump on the bed, and recite entire books from memory. One day when we had exhausted all your usual activities, I was searching for something to allay your boredom when absentmindedly I stuck a small bouncy ball in my mouth and spit it out like a clown. You thought it was the funniest thing you had ever seen, and so we spent the next hour spitting out bouncy balls. I didn’t think anything of it until the next morning when I was working in the basement and I heard the babysitter scream. I ran upstairs to find her hyperventilating, and when I asked what was wrong she said, “Leta put a bouncy ball in her mouth!” You mean, one of those objects that is as perfectly round as the opening in her throat? That which could lodge itself squarely in her esophagus? I hope you watched her spit it out because that part is a total riot!

One night last week we had dinner with my father and arrived home later than your usual bedtime. When we walked in the door I told you to follow me into the bathroom to get ready for bed, but you protested the way someone your age usually does, with a really dramatic, “Nuh-uh!” and by stomping your itty-bitty feet which could be heard all of two-inches away. I headed to your room to get out your pajamas when I heard your father walk to the front of the house and tell you it was time for bed. “No,” you said again, but this time more softly, more reasonably, and then continued, “I’m sitting here for two minutes.” Your father yelled from the living room that you had put yourself into a time-out, had moved your chair against the wall and climbed onto it. How could we possibly expect you to go to bed when you are not allowed to get out of that chair? That was an impressive tactic, Leta, and it made me think that maybe it’s not such a good idea that you are in the room when we watch 60 Minutes. I eventually picked you up and carried you to bed, but next time I may see your psychological warfare and raise you one Elmo Hostage Crisis.

I have a friend who used to say that when I talked about parenthood it sounded as if I were trying to convince myself that everything was okay. And for a long time it was exactly that — this new way of life was hard to navigate, impossible at times. I used to hang up the phone after talking to her, crawl into my closet and cry because I thought I was so bad at this. I said a few months ago that things were better, and they were, but I had no idea that you would continue to become more charming, more adorable, more full of surprises. At this age you are like Christmas every morning, always saying something wildly outrageous, often breaking into song in the oddest places, and now my friend tells me that when I talk about parenthood it sounds like an instrument I’ve been playing all my life. I like to think that I feel better about this because I am better at this, but I know it’s mostly because you are the most amazing person I have ever known. Whenever I talk about you to other people, whenever they ask me how I’m doing with this, I’m not sure I can adequately communicate just how lucky I am to know you.

Love,
Mama
Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #313
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Thanks for sharing that, I thought it was really sweet. I've printed it and given it to a couple of people dealing with kiddos along that age, as well as my wife. Matthew is just about that age and he is just like that, so similar...

Speaking of Matty, I've put a little video of him spinning his big brother's bo in our backyard. I was practicing, fooling around with my own bo more than anything when my wife thought it would be cool to have him come out and "practice" with me... It was indeed cool

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=100_5960.flv

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 09-08-2006 at 09:14 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #314
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

almost lost your family jewels there, frogman!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #315
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
almost lost your family jewels there, frogman!

balls of steel man, balls of steel. One of the thing they teach us, take one in the balls like a man, just so you can defend yourself properly.

FM
Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #316
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ean is healing well since he had his stiches taken out. Our doctor says that it could't be any better. He seems to be back to normal. In the meantime Zachary decided that his brother was getting to much attention. While we were at the gym he was not listening to Dad and running around and he lost his balance and fell into the corner of a counter. Off to the emergency room again and 3 hours and 4 stiches under his left eye later we were home. He is healing well too. That is the 4th time that he had stiches in his head. He did really well for the doctor and didn't need to be held and was chatting with the doctor while he was doing it.

Here is another saying that you should never need to tell your kids (but was heard in my house this week): "Don't stick a screwdriver in the dog's butt."

Beautiful baby Vex, congrats!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #317
ibnsgirl
H.S. Freshman Team

Congrats, vex!!!!

I love this line:
Quote:
Do you know how embarrassing it is to realize that you have rearranged your life for a chicken nugget?

That is so true...
Thanks to my supporters: TonyR (SA Griffins FC), sterlingice (Houston Hippopotami), TK (Real Terps FC), the notorious pirate AE (Puke Green Sox FC), Krondor (Krondor Lancers), Dark Affair (Orient Express), and tucker rocky (Jacksonville Kickers).
ibnsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #318
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Ean is healing well since he had his stiches taken out. Our doctor says that it could't be any better. He seems to be back to normal. In the meantime Zachary decided that his brother was getting to much attention. While we were at the gym he was not listening to Dad and running around and he lost his balance and fell into the corner of a counter. Off to the emergency room again and 3 hours and 4 stiches under his left eye later we were home. He is healing well too. That is the 4th time that he had stiches in his head. He did really well for the doctor and didn't need to be held and was chatting with the doctor while he was doing it.

Here is another saying that you should never need to tell your kids (but was heard in my house this week): "Don't stick a screwdriver in the dog's butt."

Beautiful baby Vex, congrats!

Gah. We just got a dog this pass week. I have a feeling that sentence will soon be uttered in our house.

James and Catherine are going to be 18 months old at the end of this month. They're finally getting around to talking, although Catherine's big word is "No."

I also recently changed times for my talk show, so I've been getting to spend a lot more time with the kids since I don't have to go into work until 4:30 p.m. It's been wonderful getting to play with them all day, although I think they're getting a little spoiled by all the attention. At least Catherine is. James is his own little guy... content to play by himself and come over to you every now and then to climb up in your lap.

The big question is whether or not our 15 year old will buckle down in school this year. I've already warned him that life will be very difficult if his progress reports don't look good.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #319
duckman
Pro Starter

Tonight, my ex called me to let me know how a parent-teacher conference went. Basically, they have been trying to get Matthew labeled with a learning disability without any formal testing. We sent him to see a specialist (a neurologist who specializes in learning disabilities) and he thinks Matthew is gifted and not a disability.

During the conference, they have been trying to convince my ex to allow them to put him on a IEP without a formal diagnosis or any testing. They were pissed because they now have to give assessment tests to determine if he has any cognitive problems. I told her to stay the course and not let those bastards try to label him without doing any of these things first.

I feel blessed that we have people like the neurologist who will stand up to schools that try to label children because they don't fit their idea of what a "good" student is. I think it's deplorable that we even have to go through this nonsense to make sure he is not improperly labeled.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #320
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I have an odd contribution to this discusssion.

It seems... without realizing it... that Mrs Q and I have cursed our daughter with an un-pronouncable name. *sigh*

We had several different boy or girl names in mind when she was born, we spent a few hours with her, and ultimately settled on the name Elisa -- it's a once-common derivative of Elizabeth, and appears in many baby name books with allusions to reasonably wide use in French, Spanish, and Italian. I have known a couple people with the name, always thought it was pretty, and it seemed like the best fit among our various contenders once we got a chance to meet our baby girl.

So, fast forward to now. She's nearing ten months, and it's perfectly clear -- almost nobody seems to be able to "get it." The name is, incidentally, pronounced like eh-LEE-sah. Instead, we get lots of things that sound like Alyssa, Eliza, Elsa, Eleeza, and I don't know what else.

I know there are bigger issues to worry about -- but have we cursed our daughter to live with a name that her friends and teachers will get wrong for her entire childhood? It honestly hadn't even occured to us before we started seeing so many of our friends and family stumble on the name. *sigh*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #321
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sure looks like it. FTR, before I got to your pronunciation of it, I thought it was either the way you pronounce it, or Eliza, or Eleeza. I think the problem is that there are several different ways you could pronounce it, which causes the issue. It probably isn't your fault, per se, but rather the fact that slightly different/derivative names are pronounced in multiple ways. So, this name seems to be a combination of those different names, resulting in confusion for others. Also, I'm sure that somewhere, there is a child named Elisa whose parents pronounce it differently than you.

We have a somewhat similar problem with our last name - there are 3 different ways to pronounce it, and I prefer the "middle of the road" variation, but living in the south, I have always had to put up with the "long A" variation. I've just learned to live with it, correcting it where it was possible but not bothering with it in most situations.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #322
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting post, QS. My wife is starting to tell me names for our potential daughter, which is a nice step as I've been ready for kids for a year or so and she feels like she isn't ready, but I see this as moving towards being ready..

Anyway, she told me 4 potential names today and they all run the risk of causing that exact problem, and people already butcher my last name routinely.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #323
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

It seems... without realizing it... that Mrs Q and I have cursed our daughter with an un-pronouncable name. *sigh*

We had several different boy or girl names in mind when she was born, we spent a few hours with her, and ultimately settled on the name Elisa -- it's a once-common derivative of Elizabeth, and appears in many baby name books with allusions to reasonably wide use in French, Spanish, and Italian. I have known a couple people with the name, always thought it was pretty, and it seemed like the best fit among our various contenders once we got a chance to meet our baby girl.

So, fast forward to now. She's nearing ten months, and it's perfectly clear -- almost nobody seems to be able to "get it." The name is, incidentally, pronounced like eh-LEE-sah. Instead, we get lots of things that sound like Alyssa, Eliza, Elsa, Eleeza, and I don't know what else.

I know there are bigger issues to worry about -- but have we cursed our daughter to live with a name that her friends and teachers will get wrong for her entire childhood? It honestly hadn't even occured to us before we started seeing so many of our friends and family stumble on the name. *sigh*

I actually read it correctly before you did it your phonetic way. I think it's just something she'll get used to over time. as will the people saying it. we named our daughter Mckinley, but people are always wanting to put a capital "k" in there. I also go by my middle name. always have my entire life, except for the tax man, insurance man, and dr.'s offices can't seem to figure it out so I just get used to it there too and have to remember when they call, say, mail me something with my first name that it's really for me.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #324
Ksyrup

Our two daughters' names are Caitlin and Mackenzie. No pronunciation problems, but the varied spellings are killing us. We struggled with which ones to go with for months before they were born and decided to stick with the basic.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #325
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

you just said it, "allusions to reasonably wide use in French, Spanish, and Italian". It's a very nice name, just not an English-only one. "eh-LEE-zah" is how it should be in French as an "s" in between two vowels becomes a "z". She might probably have to repeat her name a few times as she grows up, but that's a beautiful name that sounds as if it's pulling its root from many different other languages.

As a side not, sadly, as cute as I think it sounds in the "eh-LEE-sah" way (or even "eh-LEE-zah") this one would have been banned by my wife and I as people in Quebec have a sad tendency to end the "hah" in a "haw" way that is not as cute.

FM
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #326
Lorena
Unregistered

My daughter had me in tears today.

She and I were discussing going to L.A. sometime soon, but I told her we couldn't afford it because we don't have the $$ right now.

So I went to the store and when I came back she said, "Mommy, I have a surprise for you... it's on your computer desk". So I come to my desk and I find a bunch of change and she said, "I got this from my piggybank so you can go to L.A., is it enough?" And I said, "Aww baby, I would need about 300 times that amount. Thanks but this is your hard earned money, I can't take it." And she left to her room. I went in a few minutes later and her eyes were red with tears and she said, "I'm sorry mommy, but I wanted to help you go to L.A. and I wanted Landon and I to go too" and she started crying. I was in tears! Hell, I'm in tears just talking about it... what a thoughtful thing for a 6 year old to do. I told her that what her thoughtfulness was worth more than any money I could ever get and I hugged her all teary eyed.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #327
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
My daughter had me in tears today.

She and I were discussing going to L.A. sometime soon, but I told her we couldn't afford it because we don't have the $$ right now.

So I went to the store and when I came back she said, "Mommy, I have a surprise for you... it's on your computer desk". So I come to my desk and I find a bunch of change and she said, "I got this from my piggybank so you can go to L.A., is it enough?" And I said, "Aww baby, I would need about 300 times that amount. Thanks but this is your hard earned money, I can't take it." And she left to her room. I went in a few minutes later and her eyes were red with tears and she said, "I'm sorry mommy, but I wanted to help you go to L.A. and I wanted Landon and I to go too" and she started crying. I was in tears! Hell, I'm in tears just talking about it... what a thoughtful thing for a 6 year old to do. I told her that what her thoughtfulness was worth more than any money I could ever get and I hugged her all teary eyed.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #328
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

agreed, very touching story dodgerchick.

Christmas does bring a lot of funny stories too. Matthew, who will turn 3 in mid-January, was playing in the hallway last Wednesday when I went downstairs to start a fire in the woodstove. I heard him call out "Daddy, where are you?" and I replied that I was downstairs. He asked what I was doing and I replied that I was starting a fire. He often likes coming down and tear newspaper to help me, or bring some little pieces of wood to start it off but this time, instead of his usual "oh wait I wanna help!", he screamed as heavy a "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" as he could. I walked up the stairs to see what this was about and he kept on going, his eyes all teary, breathing hard "you're gonna burn Santa *snif* when *snif* he's *snif* gonna come down the chimney!!!!". I couldn't help but smile, poor kiddo worried about burning Santa.

I ended up telling him that Santa was not ready to come yet, that it was okay and that he would only come when we leave him some cookies and milk. So tomorrow night, I'll make a big show of having him prepare some cookies and a class of milk and there won't be any fire in the chimney tomorrow night.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 12-21-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #329
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow night?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #330
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

yeah, well, we don't do the physical impersonation of Santa, simply keep the myth around him and we like having the kids see the gifts maybe a day before we actually unwrap them. Since we will unwrap the gifts on Christmas Eve after dinner, tonight is as good a night as any other to load the bottom of the Christmas tree with gifts so they can wonder what's in all these boxes for a day and a half.

FM
Old 12-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #331
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
agreed, very touching story dodgerchick.

Christmas does bring a lot of funny stories too. Matthew, who will turn 3 in mid-January, was playing in the hallway last Wednesday when I went downstairs to start a fire in the woodstove. I heard him call out "Daddy, where are you?" and I replied that I was downstairs. He asked what I was doing and I replied that I was starting a fire. He often likes coming down and tear newspaper to help me, or bring some little pieces of wood to start it off but this time, instead of his usual "oh wait I wanna help!", he screamed as heavy a "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" as he could. I walked up the stairs to see what this was about and he kept on going, his eyes all teary, breathing hard "you're gonna burn Santa *snif* when *snif* he's *snif* gonna come down the chimney!!!!". I couldn't help but smile, poor kiddo worried about burning Santa.

I ended up telling him that Santa was not ready to come yet, that it was okay and that he would only come when we leave him some cookies and milk. So tomorrow night, I'll make a big show of having him prepare some cookies and a class of milk and there won't be any fire in the chimney tomorrow night.

FM

Awww... cute story
Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #332
redfox000
Mascot

Me too...

I have three kids, two boys 7 (yes, twins) and a daughter age 3.

I have TONS of stories, like most of you and, like most of you, love them dearly.

My daughter is going through the "dance with me" phase, which I love. Anytime Dora or anything is on that she is watching, I will need to come over and dance with her until the music is done. Trying to enjoy this stage before she starts to hate me (I know, a while down the road).

Oh, and according to her, we now have to duck when we drive under bridges. Lord knows who taught her that, but it is cute.

I try *very, very* hard to not play favorites, but I must admit that, as a father, Amber (my daugher) is my favorite.

They have had me near tears many times in events similar to the one Dodgerchick shared above. I don't know of anything in else in life that affects a persons heart like kids do.

Last edited by redfox000 : 12-28-2006 at 10:46 AM.
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #333
redfox000
Mascot

Dola

And it about broke my heart last night. The kids are all staying over at Grandma and Grandpa's last night and today. I got a call late last night. Amber was crying saying "I want daddy". I talked to her for a bit and she just kept saying "alright" while she was crying. It was all I could do to not run over and pick her up.
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #334
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
Dola

And it about broke my heart last night. The kids are all staying over at Grandma and Grandpa's last night and today. I got a call late last night. Amber was crying saying "I want daddy". I talked to her for a bit and she just kept saying "alright" while she was crying. It was all I could do to not run over and pick her up.

Aww... how cute! Sounds like you and your daughter have a very special relationship. Our daughter likes following me around and I get annoyed at times, but then I stop to think that she actually WANTS to hang out with me and it will change once she gets older.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #335
Ksyrup

We're toying with the idea of sending out some shots of our youngest for modeling opportunities. Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

Honestly, I have no interest in the Jon Benet Ramsey-ish lifestyle for my kids, but our youngest gets so many comments that my wife and I have wondered whether we ought to see if she could get into modeling clothes or doing commercials or something. Of course, we think she's a little cutie, but her curly blonde hair and blue eyes almost always elicit some kind of response from strangers.

How do people get their kids into that kind of thing?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #336
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier... I spent most of this morning reading through this entire thread and it's a great read. Makes you feel like you are not alone in the world of parenting.

I am a father of three boys, ages 18, 13 and 10 weeks. The 18 and 13 year old are my step-children and I have been with them for 11 years now so it's like they are my kids anyway.

Last year at the age of 37 I finally became a daddy to a newborn son on October 23rd. I've never experienced the newborn stage so this is an eye opening experience for me.

I've come to the conclusion that taking care of a newborn has got to be like taking care of astronauts. Just getting them into the vehicle alone takes FOREVER with all of the straps and buckles. Everything is so time consuming it's funny. I love every bit of it and am having a blast.

My wife is not good about documenting things so I decided to blog about the pregnancy for friends and family with weekly updates on what happens, how we feel and stuff like that. I have carried that over to blog the first year of my sons life and what we go through on a weekly basis with him and I'm glad I've done it. It's great to go back and read some of the things I was feeling before he was born.

My 18 year old son is in college and doing great. He is the "quiet one" and is really close to him mother. The 13 year old is an ADHD kid that takes after me. We are best friends and have a blast together no matter what we are doing. Living with ADHD is a pain when it comes to school and how we handle his grades which are terrible. He's a smart kid, just can't get his work done.

Anywya, just wanted to get my introduction to the parent group outta the way.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #337
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
Oh, and according to her, we now have to duck when we drive under bridges. Lord knows who taught her that, but it is cute.
Had to chuckle at this one. My son went through that stage...it was cute for awhile, but on longer trips it got old rather quick. "Uh, Drew? On this highway, the policeman says we don't have to duck under the overpasses."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5
Anywya, just wanted to get my introduction to the parent group outta the way.
Welcome aboard! So how is the 13-year-old liking the baby life?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #338
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Welcome aboard! So how is the 13-year-old liking the baby life?

He loves it. He is happy that he isn't the "baby" anymore and very excited about being an older brother. *sigh of relief*

I was worried that he would feel left out now that another boy had come along but things are good so far.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #339
Lorena
Unregistered

Our 2 year old (Landon) is an interesting kid. He's developed a bit slower than our daughter in almost all aspects, but he's like a genius in other ways. Our daughter (Larissa) used to speak very very well at the age Landon is now. He understands what we tell him, but he pretends he doesn't. He doesn't speak like we want him to, but he knows all the letters of the alphabet.

Anyway, the kid is anal retentive... I mean bigtime. We bought him those letters that have magnets on the back and he plays with them hours at a time making circles out of them or putting them in a STRAIGHT line. When I mean straight, I mean they have to be perfectly aligned or he goes mad. Well since the only thing he knows how to say are letters, when he gets mad he screams the alphabet!! "ABCDEFGGGGGGGG!!!!!" or sometimes it's just one leter, "DDDDDDDDDD!!!!!"

We need to record him because when he gets older he'll never believe us.

Last edited by Lorena : 01-11-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #340
Ksyrup

We started our 2 year old in a once-a-week mothers' day out program at a church yesterday. She's a little blond-haired, blue-eyed cutie that everyone always comments about how she's going to be some knock-out as she gets older. Mostly, I just block it out and pretend not to hear it.

Anyway, I get home from work last night and start asking her what she did at school, and she says, "I played with the boys and colored and had snack." So I responded, "You played with the boys? Did you play with any girls, too?" And she says, "No, just the boys."

I'm in BIG trouble...!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #341
Ksyrup

We just got tickets to see The Wiggles in Louisville at the end of February. Should be interesting to see how they deal with Greg's departure, although when we saw them early last year in Florida, Greg didn't tour due to surgery and they pulled it off fine. But now, it's no longer temporary.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #342
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

this one will make our resident doctor smile...

Matthew just turned 3 last Monday. Yesterday, he had a checkup appointment with his pedatrician, you know the usual once a year thing. I was the one appointed by my wife to go with him, and to be honest, I was not really looking forward to it. Every time we'd been to the pedatrician, Matty has been a crying machine. Despite the pediatrician being the a very gentle man and him trying everything to take the edge off Matty, nothing could be done. The minute we walked through the door, Matty would start whining first, then go into full crying mode as soon as we'd approach the examination table.

I had a special ammunition this time, thanks to Santa. Yep, Matty received a toy doctor case full with everything one needs to play doctor. He's examined us plenty of times, from checking pulse, temperature, giving vaccines and even checking reflexes with that little hammer.

I decided to bring the little case along in his bag, just in case. We got to the doctor's office, walk in the door as I kept talking to Matty about how the doctor will simply check him out. We went through the whole thing with Matty not once whining, just like a big boy would do.

Come to the end, the doctor has weighed and measure him and he pats Matty on the head and tell him that it's over, he can go get dressed now. I'm close to him now and I take his hand to get him to the examination table to dress him and he goes "but my reflexes?". I ask what he said, just as the doctor asks too and he repeats "but my reflexes, you didn't check them". Both me and the doctor burst into laughter and he got his little hammer and checked Matty's reflexes. Cute kiddo...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-17-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #343
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:
Anyway, the kid is anal retentive... I mean bigtime. We bought him those letters that have magnets on the back and he plays with them hours at a time making circles out of them or putting them in a STRAIGHT line. When I mean straight, I mean they have to be perfectly aligned or he goes mad. Well since the only thing he knows how to say are letters, when he gets mad he screams the alphabet!! "ABCDEFGGGGGGGG!!!!!" or sometimes it's just one leter, "DDDDDDDDDD!!!!!"

We need to record him because when he gets older he'll never believe us.

My middle son (Travis) was like that when he was 2 years old. He would not talk much and if he wanted something he would point and kind of grunt (much like his father -- remember, I'm his step-dad). He was very intense about how his toys and things were setup in his room. Things needed to be perfect or there was trouble.

I made a point of taking pictures of him freaking out or acting silly like that knowing that when he was older it would be funny. We just pulled a ton of pictures out boxes this week and have been going through them and laughing non-stop.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 01-19-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #344
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
My middle son (Travis) was like that when he was 2 years old. He would not talk much and if he wanted something he would point and kind of grunt (much like his father -- remember, I'm his step-dad). He was very intense about how his toys and things were setup in his room. Things needed to be perfect or there was trouble.

I just read this to Antmeister and we were laughing, you have described our son to a T. He'll point and grunt if he needs anything. I try to get him to say banana but he just points. If I tell him, no you can't have a banana, he understands but he won't say it.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #345
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
this one will make our resident doctor smile...

Matthew just turned 3 last Monday. Yesterday, he had a checkup appointment with his pedatrician, you know the usual once a year thing. I was the one appointed by my wife to go with him, and to be honest, I was not really looking forward to it. Every time we'd been to the pedatrician, Matty has been a crying machine. Despite the pediatrician being the a very gentle man and him trying everything to take the edge off Matty, nothing could be done. The minute we walked through the door, Matty would start whining first, then go into full crying mode as soon as we'd approach the examination table.

I had a special ammunition this time, thanks to Santa. Yep, Matty received a toy doctor case full with everything one needs to play doctor. He's examined us plenty of times, from checking pulse, temperature, giving vaccines and even checking reflexes with that little hammer.

I decided to bring the little case along in his bag, just in case. We got to the doctor's office, walk in the door as I kept talking to Matty about how the doctor will simply check him out. We went through the whole thing with Matty not once whining, just like a big boy would do.

Come to the end, the doctor has weighed and measure him and he pats Matty on the head and tell him that it's over, he can go get dressed now. I'm close to him now and I take his hand to get him to the examination table to dress him and he goes "but my reflexes?". I ask what he said, just as the doctor asks too and he repeats "but my reflexes, you didn't check them". Both me and the doctor burst into laughter and he got his little hammer and checked Matty's reflexes. Cute kiddo...

FM

Awww... kids say the cutest things!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #346
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

When Drew was two he used to do what we dubbed "bears on chairs." He'd take his stuffed beanie bears and spend 15-20 minutes arranging them on his little kid seat.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #347
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Noah at 5 1/2 months at Christmas time.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #348
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

Here's a picture of his letters in the shape of a snake:

And here are some batteries that he put in some kind of order (looks like small battery, big battery, small battery, big battery...)

I need to take more pictures of this and create a section in my Picasa Album (shameless plug I know).

Last edited by Lorena : 01-20-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #349
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Vex: Great picture!

Dodgerchick: lol! Those photos remind me of Travis so much. Everything was always in a pattern like that! He would eat cereal without milk, and always pick shapes of cereal he liked and then organize them into a pattern on the table.

Here is a pic of my little guy @ 3 months old, getting ready for a trip in the snow.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #350
PilotMan
Head Coach

Zachary, my 4 almost 5 yr old was bored one day since he was grounded from the leapster and the TV, and he decided to write a book with mom. It was a great idea. He had the whole plotline set out and pictures to boot. However, he became frustrated and gave the project up when his book wasn't "square enough". That my friends, is my anal/perfectionist little boy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote