Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Sef0r
n00b

FOWL League promotional template

This is what I got so far. Give your suggestions until most can agree on a good league promotion we can copy and paste in other forums/leagues.

* A whole new way to play FOF
* No draft
* All of the players in the draft pool enter Free Agency 2 (minus 224 of the worst players).
* Outbid other teams for those star rookies or go after the seasoned vets.
* 10 days for a full season sim.
* 30+ seasons in a calender year
* Rookie draft class does not have any QBs or WRs with an adjusted rating higher than 6.5
* Don't worry if you have a bad off-season and regular season, a new season is just around the corner.

Schedule
Day 1 - Staff Hiring 1-3 (Skip Summer/Ticket)
Day 2 - FA1:1-12 (Renegs and RFAs only)
Day 3 - FA2:1
Day 4 - FA2:2
Day 5 - FA2:3-5
*midweek only if requested/required.
Day 6 - Training Camp
Day 7 - Preseason
Day 8 - Regular Season Weeks 1-17
Day 9 - Postseason
Day 10 - Season End (Day off)

Last edited by Sef0r : 06-10-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Sef0r
n00b

I do have 1 suggestion and its one I suggested during the discussion to move to this format. Split the regular season. Sim weeks 1-5, then 6-17. This allows for gameplan adjustments. Obviously this does not include someone like Ben or any of the really good gameplanners, those who know exactly what plan to use with what players. But there are those out there, myself included, who are not that good and must make adjustments. This could increase interest for those who may be a little hesitant to join.

To add to suggested template, the schedule.

Day 1 - Staff Hiring 1-3 (Skip Summer/Ticket)
Day 2 - FA1:1-12 (Renegs and RFAs only)
Day 3 - FA2:1
Day 4 - FA2:2
Day 5 - FA2:3-5
Day 6 - Training Camp
Day 7 - Preseason
Day 8 - Week 1-5 (allows for gameplan adjustments)
Day 9 - Week 6-17
Day 10 - Postseason
Day 11 - Season End

Last edited by Sef0r : 06-06-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I was also thinking it might be good to break the season up, maybe into quarters.. This will break up the constant offseason thing that seems to be pushing people away.. It will allow for adjustments to be made roughly every 4 games, which can allow for the possibility of giving rookies PT when a team is out of it and give a little more suspense to the season, which may help maintain interest.

What if we broke it up to be

1- staff hiring
2- FA 1
3- FA 2-1
4- FA 2-2, 2-3 (cutting out a day here since we're adding 3 days for season sims)
5- FA 2-4, 2-5
6- Training Camp
7- Preseason
8- wk 1-5
9- wk 6-9
10- wk 10-13
11- wk 14-17
12- playoffs
13- End of season
14- 1 day break for new owners

Its a 2 week schedule, which may help maintain a sort of Uniform sim schedule if we sim daily, plus give a day for owner replacements in between seasons. I think the added season sims will increase the involvement by allowing for owners to feel like the league isn't just a bunch of FA periods followed by a quick season, which I can understand might be less fulfilling.

I think if we strike more of a balance, the interest will pick back up and be easier to maintain.

Just my 2 cents-

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-06-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think pitching the Nerfed QB/WR aspect and the way we do the draft and FA would be our two biggest selling points.

All killer, no filler.

FUCK EA
Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Sef0r
n00b

I like your schedule and agree with the 2 week season.

+1 for Julio's schedule.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I think the added season sims will increase the involvement by allowing for owners to feel like the league isn't just a bunch of FA periods followed by a quick season, which I can understand might be less fulfilling.

I am against breaking the regular season up.

Much of the purpose of this league, in my opinion, was to be exactly that - a bunch of FA periods followed by a quick season. The folks that got the ball rolling on this project wanted that. They (we?) also knew that there would be an initial interest, owners would drop off, and eventually the league would not be running 32 owners strong.

Part of what makes this league appealing for me is that it is what it is. It doesn't make a bunch of compromises to try and draw additional owners, appease to those that don't like the format and want to leave, etc. If pushing the QB/WR Nerf, unique way of handling the rookies, and a break-neck pace doesn't interest someone, then this league isn't for them - plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Sef0r
n00b

Well there you go, making sense again

I like being on the fence here, I don't mind either way.

Then we shall continue with the suggestions on what to put on the promotional template. I will update the original post with other suggested stuff to add.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

FWIW - I think it's worth having the conversation if some people feel we should be splitting weeks, just putting in my $.02 into that discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

This is really a case where if you try to please all of the people all of the time, you will end up pleasing nobody ever.

This is a fun league that a small group of people will enjoy more than any other traditional FOF league. Try to highlight those points around as much as possible and attract people who would be interested in this format rather than changing the format.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Sef0r
n00b

I've just edited the main post to show the current schedule as this should be included in any promotion for this league.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

Make sure to add a big line about the anti-tank, everyone competes, if you suck the new season is right around the corner thing.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The things that make me think this would be better with more human owners are:

A: The way we do the draft

CPU controlled teams will become even more obvious pushovers and they will not be able to acquire anyone worth anything. This means the fewer human players there are, the more lopsided the talent separation will get, until this is just an exercise where we sim the season as a formality, then see who survives the playoffs every year after beating up on all the CPU teams. I don't see that being even as fun as SP.

B: Nerfing wont even matter

We'll all stock our teams with the best there are, which basically renders that whole idea moot. That was the key premise of this league at the outset, but won't matter because the number of teams acquiring the talent is nearly halved already and is only getting worse.

I don't know what it will take, other than a sticky in the general forum so the most traffic gets to see it, but I think the league would benefit in a major way by being full or nearly full of human owners, as humans are kind of required for this premise to work.

All I know is this is potentially the most enjoyable FOF league out there both for the speed with which it is simmed and the new ideas that have been implemented which are unique to it. I do think we really need to find willing and able participants however, and if we can get them by making a few concessions, I think its a good idea.

I think if we keep the same schedule and continue to lose owners, the CPU teams ought to be able to freely raid our unsigned FAs in FA 1 and leave us with the remainders. At least then they'll have something to work with.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-06-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Another idea, if we get to the point where there are only 16 owners left: Each owner controls two teams, one team from each conference. That might be impossible though, I don't know.

But it might also work if its able to be done.

FUCK EA
Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Make sure to add a big line about the anti-tank, everyone competes, if you suck the new season is right around the corner thing.

The anti-tank?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
Sef0r
n00b

I have updated the original post slightly.

Are we happy with this? If so, I suggest you start to post it around
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #16
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
The anti-tank?

trying to lose to get a top pick. no draft, no tankers.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
trying to lose to get a top pick. no draft, no tankers.

Oh, I see...interesting.