Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Just got a PS3, must own games?

As the title says, income taxes have allowed me to finally take a dip into the PS3 pool. Looking for the "must-play" games for PS3 now. The Show is already paid off, and I'll be grabbing that on the 2nd when it releases, but how about until then?

I see Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is quite popular on Metacritic, but would I have to play Uncharted 1 first to understand U2? Heavy Rain looks quite interesting as well.

Don't need sports games as I already have an Xbox 360 and own all of the current sports games for that, NHL 10, Madden 10 etc, etc.

Lil' help?

LionsFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'd recommend both Uncharted games although you don't need to play the first game to understand the second game.

Madden, NHL and FIFA are all strong games. You can probably snag all used copies of all three on the cheap right now since they've been out for a while. I'm interested in Heavy Rain too but it seems more like a rental to me since there will likely be a ton of copies floating around a few months from now.

I'd recommend Fallout 3 if you like RPGs. The only thing is I would avoid the GOTY edition because I've heard it's really, really buggy. You can pick up the regular edition for $20 new and then pick up any of the DLC separately down the road.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

1. You'll want to play both Uncharted games. You can pick up the first one for pretty cheap used. It's a great game and still holds up very well.

2. Infamous is a good one. Play style is similar to Crackdown, but it's a different game.

3. MGS4 is another good one, but only if you liked the previous iterations. If it's not your style, probably best to pass.

4. Heavy Rain is fantastic. Started playing this over the weekend. Really love the gameplay and storyline.

5. If you like FPS, Resistance 1/2 both can be had for cheap and are good shooters. Killzone 2 was a pleasant surprise as well.

6. If you're a strategy/RPG person, Valkyria Chronicles is excellent. Turn-based combat with some character building mixed in.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

I like Infamous and The Show for the PS3. If it's on both systems, I usually pick the 360 though.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

+whatever for the Uncharted series. Great games... 2 was probably the best game I've ever played. God of War III comes out in a couple weeks and it looks like it's going to be a must purchase as well.

I just beat Heavy Rain last night. Very good game but I say it could be a rental - I beat in in five days and I know it probably has some replay going through it again to see different results but I am a bit disappointed of the length. Three years in the making -you think it would have more than 7-8 hours of play.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 02-28-2010 at 09:23 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Okay, so Heavy Rain sounds like a rental because it's so short, good to know. Already have The Show pre-ordered and fully paid off (this is one of the biggest reasons I bought a PS3). It sounds like Uncharted is going to be where I start, I'll grab them both and play them in order.

What about MAG? That game looked really interesting along a BF1942, lots of players, lots of fun line. Is it still doing well, do players actually play for the objective or does every match just turn into a massive deathmatch game? I have Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but MAG still interests me quite a bit because 1) I'm a sucker for online shooters and 2) It sounds like a totally different experience from that of CoD.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10 View Post
What about MAG? That game looked really interesting along a BF1942, lots of players, lots of fun line. Is it still doing well, do players actually play for the objective or does every match just turn into a massive deathmatch game? I have Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but MAG still interests me quite a bit because 1) I'm a sucker for online shooters and 2) It sounds like a totally different experience from that of CoD.

MAG has actually done pretty well. The game gives double experience for sticking to objectives and that seems to help quite a bit to keep people focused on the battle. They discussed it on the CAGcast if you want to listen in for some feedback. CheapyD actually said he prefers MAG over MW2 just because it's a more structured, tactical game.

Oh, and you're going to LOVE The Show. It's a fantastic game.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-28-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I know you said no sports, but The Show is amazing.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Fallout 3 for sure if you're an RPG fan
MAG if you like Shooters

Also Gran Turismo 5 which is coming soon looks amazing.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-28-2010 at 10:58 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I sold my MAG already. I was loving it in the beginning but it got real stale after a while. There are only 3 maps per objective and it get's pretty boring defending/attacking the same maps over and over again.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time are must-plays as far as I'm concerned.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote