Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Clockwork Orange
n00b

Solo Career

Going to still work out the parameters for a way of making this a challenge without too many house rules, as per this thread. And then I'll post the dynasty here.

LIVING RULES - STARTUP

* Start with a draft. First 45 rounds, draft a random guy and cut him. Can keep the last 8. (We went RB, FS, QB, CB, RG, RT, WLB, DT. None have a current or potential about 35 and most are their 20s. I like it).

LIVING RULES - CAP SPENDING

* For Year 3 and beyond, the amount of cap space that is available for use is 40% of the available cap (i.e., 60% dead cap room). Have the opportunity to improve this by meeting certain criteria:

* Each regular season win in previous season +1 percentage point
* Each playoff win +3 percentage points
* Each playoff loss +2 percentage points

(I realize that this could theoretically create an incentive to play a wild card game, but that's not going to drive any of my behavior)

* Up to 5 percentage points in either direction based on some criteria I set out at the beginning of the season based on imagining what an owner would want or not want (beat rivals, make playoffs, not finish last, will vary by season)

* For year 1 it's hard to pay a lot when you start with the parameters I did so it doesn't matter. For year 2, it looks like signing and then cutting the first 45 guys from the first 45 rounds of the draft has given me an $80MM (out of $130MM) cap hit for Year 2 anyway.

LIVING RULES - FREE AGENCY

* No signing anyone with >50 potential before Stage 7 (out of 12) from the first free agency if he was released

* Some rule about when I'm allowed to bid for guys. I am thinking of allowing myself Stages 2, 7, and 12 of FA1 only. (possibly unlimited FA2, or maybe just 1&5)

* Some rule about signing bonuses [placeholder]

LIVING RULES - TRADES

* Currently it's "only AI-initiated trades, take it or leave it" but I'm looking to improve this to allow some fun from trading without making it materially easier.

LIVING RULES - EXTENSIONS

* This I really want help with. I don't know enough about the game engine to know where and how I should be limited myself here.

Comments in this thread are most definitely welcome. Don't worry about disrupting my 'flow'. Suggestions (in-game and for this thread) also welcome. If there are no comments after a while I'll just assume no one is reading and probably stop. Depending on how you feel about my writing style, that may be a good thing.

Last edited by Clockwork Orange : 03-04-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Clockwork Orange
n00b

Draft and putting the 2009 team together

Picked the San Diego Chargers (I'm a fan). By using fictional players and a starting draft, I have no idea who is any good or if I am in a tough division.

By missing the first 45 rounds of the draft, my team's not going to be very good. (Our cohesion is going to be awful too). So I'll be looking for ways to steal wins here and there.

* Value interceptions in the secondary A LOT. A Pick-6 can be a game-changing play. I'm not going to be able to get guys who have decent coverage ability, so we'll just go for the home runs.
* Try to have an offense that at least does no harm (turnovers). I'll accept three runs into the line and a punt if I have to.
* Have a QB who can scramble and who can sense the rush, since the O-line is going to be awful anyway and I'm going to be prioritizing run blocking.
* Have receivers who can adjust to ball because my QB won't be any good
* Decent FG range, a punter who has some leg, and good special teams players all possible to find
* Don't worry much about chemistry and leaders since the team is going to be radically remade each of the next two years I imagine.

I'll post some screenshots of the 8 guys I drafted (the core).

Here's my QB. Yes, that really was the best I could do. Without historical stats, I'm also flying blind a bit more than usual. But he seems to have a couple strengths I can game-plan around.

Some of the weirdness (do I really need 3 identical-looking crappy rookie QBs) is because I let the computer sign and release players in training camp. I won't normally, but until I start to get to know the team a bit, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Clockwork Orange : 03-04-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Clockwork Orange
n00b

2009 Season Begins

I won't recount every game here, but our no-name brand of slapsticks came out and looked awful to Oakland. With the 3rd quarter winding down, we'd thrown 4 picks and were down 21-0.

And then...

An amazing comeback on the road...look at the SD drive summary. 3 of the first four posessions were INTs within 3 plays, the other was a 3-and-out...four of the last five possessions were TDs, including a couple long ones.

The gameplan was fully REXed, which I'll probably do for the first few games to get a feel for this team. (I'll post the whole roster in the next post). After one game I'm pretty happy that we forced a couple fumbles and got a pick-6. That's our strategy! (Well, without the 4 interceptions). The Oakland fumble return for a TD was them recovering their own fumble after a completed pass from the 13.

All those pass attempts from Snyder...whew. A lot of that is because we were down in the 2nd half and had to score quickly. The running totals are deceptive - until the 4th quarter we were averaging about 2 yrds per carry. Woodson broke off a 21 yard run in the 4th that makes the day look a bit better. We're going to have to get better at the run; we won't win much with Snyder throwing 50 times.

Last edited by Clockwork Orange : 03-04-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Go Bolts!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Clockwork Orange
n00b

Playing game #2 vs Baltimore.

At the half, we're up 10-7, thanks to another forced fumble & recovery. We're 5-12 for 48 yards in the air, sacked three times. But no turnovers.

Meanwhile, the defense is establishing a bit of a bend-but-don't-break personality. Unless we get to the QB (4 sacks already today, and we had a couple last week vs Oakland) or get a turnover, it's almost guaranteed to be a successful play against us. But all we need is one big play per drive and we have a good chance of keeping them off the scoreboard when we do.

Later in the 3rd quarter....force a punt from midfield, block the punt, take over on the Baltimore 37. Drive for a TD! 17-7!

Can the island of misfit toys really start 2-0? Are these settings not tough enough?

...as the Ravens take possession after the kickoff and march down the field in a series of 10 and 20 yard plays to score easily. 17-14, with 6:30 left in the 3rd quarter.

...and then we get the ball back and with the pass setting up the run (Snyder all of a sudden catching fire sprinkled in with some 2 yrs gains on the ground) get to the Baltimore 21. Then my first (technically #46) draft choice, rookie Lionel Hillenbrand peels off a 21 yard TD run. 24-14 going into the 4th in front of the home crowd!

Two sacks on the next Ravens series leaves them with 4th and 21. This defense is designed to play with a lead. I'm not sure what made me think we'd ever be getting the lead (fluky blocked punts notwithstanding) but we got some pass rush talent at least compared to the lack of talent elsewhere, and I did pick guys for the secondary with good hands.

Trade a few punts and we get the ball back with 7 mins to go on our own 20, up 10. Hillenbrand gets the call 5 (!) straight runs, eating up massive clock and getting 2 first downs. Then the backup gets a couple carries and the drive stalls...

Ravens get the ball at their own 20 with 2 mins to go. Two deep passes later, it's first and goal from the SD 4. (Have to watch that end of game logic or get more involved in game planning. This should not be happening) And then a Baltimore TD with 1:12 left. 24-21.

As a real-life Chargers fan, it's wonderful for immersion to see the Chargers finding a way to let their opponents back in a game which should be locked up....but we got the onside kick and it's all good.

2-0 baby. Break up the Chargers!

Post-game thoughts:

* No turnovers. That's how we have to play.
* Would have liked to have forced more turnovers, but I'll take the 7 sacks and the fumble we did get.
* A lot of holes on this team. We're not going to get a blocked punt or 7 sacks every game.

Last edited by Clockwork Orange : 03-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.