Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS- A FBCB 2010 Dynasty

So im going to attempt my first Dynasty here and if people want to join in as a coach or recruit they can, just let me know and I'll add ya. Im also doing this at the same time over at FBB.

The concept came in a failed attempt of a new FBCB 2010 league (so I’m using the same background story just slightly modified).

The dynasty should be a little bit different than most already done with FBCB. Instead of playing the game normally, I’m going to act as the Big East Conference Commish (since I’m from Pittsburgh and love the Big East) and I’m going to try to compete against the AI in terms of getting the best head coaches for the correct teams (in the Big East) and hope that I can amass the most titles and wins out of the big conferences but also highlight some other stuff about the league.

The 2 major rules are I can’t hire a Head Coach from one of the other Major Conferences (Big 10, Pac-10, SEC, ACC or Big 12) however their assistants are fair game. I am also not touching the Head Coaches of the 3 other bigger type Conferences (the A-10, Conf USA and the Mountain West) Ill leave those for the AI to move around.

The AI can’t fire any of my head coaches, as I’m the only one that can do that but I will set the AD goals for them.

The league options are limited conference movement, no injuries, no leaving for the draft until you graduate, and transfers play immediately.

The first 4 seasons will be fast simmed to get a tiny bit of history and then I will jump in.

Last edited by muns : 03-07-2011 at 10:57 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
muns
Pro Starter

The NCAA, at first named the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States (IAAUS), was established on March 31, 1906, to set rules for amateur athletic sports in the United States. When then-president Theodore Roosevelt's own son, Ted, broke his nose playing football at Harvard, Roosevelt became aware of the growing number of serious injuries and deaths occurring in collegiate football. He brought the presidents of five major institutions, Army (West Point), Navy (Annapolis), Harvard, Princeton, and Yale to several meetings at the White House in October 1905 to discuss steps to make college athletics safer. The IAAUS was created as an outcome of those meetings and became the National Collegiate Athletic Association in 1910.

Boy was that the good old days…. Now the NCAA is just big business, and in big business the little guys (the fans and athletes) simply just don’t matter. It started out with the correct image, the correct vision, and the proper mindset.

Now??????? Ehhhhhhhhh is about all you can say.

For the past 100 years the NCAA has began to take hits….. Hits from the public, hits from the fans, hits from the student athletes themselves. Behind the scenes it is believed that profits seem to be the only real goal and the getting is really good.

Following losing the 1953 case The University of Denver v Nemeth, where it was found that a student and athlete was owed workers compensation, it has been argued that the NCAA created the term "Student-Athlete". This was done according to Andrew Zimbalist in his book Unpaid Professionals (1999) to prevent similar future litigation losses.

Former NCAA President Walter Byers in his book "Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Exploiting the Student-Athlete" refers to the NCAA's operation by stating that "Today the NCAA Presidents Commission is preoccupied with tightening a few loose bolts in a worn machine, firmly committed to the neo-plantation belief that the enormous proceeds from college games belong to the overseers (administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may only receive those benefits authorized by the overseers."

Wow. Talk about a powerful statement by a guy that used to run the show himself. If you were to venture out and look up a slogan about the NCAA it would be hard to find one better than this- “Making big money off the little guy since 1953”.

Due to statements like that and the scandals the NCAA has been involved with over the past 30 some years the public has lost its trust and member institutions started to discuss pulling their membership.

Some of the biggest scandals that have rocked sports and the NCAA have been:

The SMU football program and the” death penalty” The 1994 point shaving scandals involving Northwestern and Arizona State, The FAB 5 and Michigan getting busted for a booster paying the kids to play, Jim Harrick and the Georgia basketball program letting his players get high grades even though the players were not showing up for class, TOSU and Maurice Clarett getting nailed for taking thousands of dollars in benefits after winning a National Football Championship, John Calipari, Derrick Rose and the Memphis SAT scandal, USC and the pay to play scandal of the basketball and football programs in the early 2000’s, The 2004 alleged rape and sexual harassment of then kicker Katie Knida and “Lack of Institutional control” with the Colorado Buffalos, Cam Newton and the sham of NCAA amateurism and finally the biggest one of them all was Coach Dave Bliss and the murder of Patrick Dennehy by teammate Carlton Dotson at Baylor.

NCAA President Mark A. Emmert had to keep the ship from sinking and had to do something fast. Sponsors were pulling out, the BCS was killing football, they even tinkered with March Madness, meanwhile the fans and the athletes were still stuck holding the bag. Simply put the NCAA was falling apart.

In a last ditch effort to save intercollegiate athletics Mark created 2 separate governing bodies for the NCAA tier one sports (Football and Basketball).

The new Director of Football Operations became Cartman and his new association became Front Office Football a Bowl Bound College Football League. If you are interested in playing in a College Football sim league please check them out at (http://www.fofc-bbcf.com

As for basketball the IAAUS was now back in business.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

So I fast sim the first 4 seasons and the outlook for the Big East is extremely bright. I think I have some work to do with a few teams and finding the correct coach for each, but for starters the group of head coaches dont all look too bad. Lets take a look.

1. Cincinnati- Cristobal Malone- He is rated a 7 (recruiting),6 (scouting),10 (offense),6 (defense)
He has totaled up 72 wins and 63 losses with 1 guy being an All American. The Prestige has only fallen 1 point from 74 to 73 and he has made the IAAUS tourament twice in the past 4 years.

2. Connecticut- Devin Foust- He is rated 10,7,9,10. He is 122-27 with a championship in 2011. He has made the IASUS tourament all 4 years, winning once and losing in the championship the following year. He has coached 3 All Americans and has also won a Big East Title. The Prestige has gone up 10 points from 90 to 100 under him.

3. DePaul-Scott Healey- He is rated 6,7,7,6 and I can tell right away I doubt he is going to make it past the first round here with me. He record is 39-86 and has gone from winning 13 games his first season to 5 games this past. The Prestige has gone from 57 to 53 and it just doesnt look like he has his team improving much.

4. Georgetown- Ken Ortiz- He is rated 10,2,10,8 and has gone 100-45 in 4 seasons. He has made the Tourney all 4 years including a sweet 16 appearance his first season but the Prestige has fallen by 4 from 91 to 87.

5. Louisville- Daniel Eakin- He is rated 10,1,10,5 and is an interesting cat stats wise. He has gone 79-49 however his first 3 years he was at UTEP. He has had 1 All American but this past season while at Louisville he went 13-18 with only 4 Big East wins. He hasnt been here long for me to have any loyality here so we shall see. Their Prestige has gone down from 89 to 75.

6. Marquette- Jeramy Belt- He is rated 5,8,9,10 and has gone 79-57. He has been to the IAAUS tourney twice (including this past year) and has also been to the 3BI and NIT once each. The Prestige has gone from 86 to 82 under him.

7. Notre Dame-David Scott- He is rated 4,6,10,10 and has a wonderful stat line. He has gone 102-46 with 2 Sweet 16 appearances and a loss in the IAAUS Title game this past year. His Prestige has gone up four from 86 to 90.

8. Pittsburgh- Leland Ward- He is rated 9,10,8,10 and has gone 84-50 with 1 All American. He has made the IAAUS tourney twice (his first 2 years) however the past 2 seasons he has gone 18-15 and 17-16 and missed every post season opportunity. Pittsburgh's Prestige has gone from 92 down to 80 during his 4 years.

9. Providence- Richard Leija- He is rated 10,4,2,10 and has gone 67-65. His first 2 seasons however were at Southern Mississippi however the past 2 seasons he has taken Providence to the 3BI and the NIT, the only 2 times the program has reached a postseason. The total Prestige has gone down four from 70 to 66.

10. Rutgers- Jackie Corral- He is rated 7,2,10,7 and is another guy I may have a hard time keeping around. He has gone 38-86 and 5-26 this past season. He has only won 16 Big East games the past 4 seasons while seeing his teams Prestige go down by one from 54 to 53.

11. Seton Hall- James Wyant- He is rated 4,6,10,5 and has gone 69-61. He was at Valpo his first 2 years making the NIT once, but did improve the Hall's big east record by 1 game this past year going 13-17 (7-11). The Prestige here has fallen from 70 to 63.

12. South Florida-Stanford Ericson- He is rated 8,8,10,5 and has gone 61-67 with 1 All American. His first 2 years were spent at Arizona State where he went 26-37. His first year with South Florida wasnt that much better going 13-18 however this past season they had a remarkable turnaround under his leadership going 22-12 (12-6) and a first round exit in the tourney (the teams only post season experience. Their Prestige has gone from 61 to 63

13. St. John's- Kristopher Hale- He is rated 8,10,8,2 and has gone 44-80. They went 12-21 (4-14) this past year and have never made the post season. Their Prestige has gone from 64 to 57 under him.

13. Syracuse- Jacinto Gomez- He is rated 10,10,10 7 and has gone 122-26. He has made the Final 4 twice (the past 2 seasons) the Elite 8 once and the Sweet 16 once. They have won the Big East twice and he has had 1 All American. Their Prestige has gone from 94 to 100 under him.

14. Villanova- Edward Shade- he is rated 9,5,10,10 and has gone 100-32 with 1 All American. His best season was last going 24-9 (12-6) and reaching the Elite 8. Their Prestige has dropped 1 from 91 to 90 in his 4 years.

15. West Virginia- James Johnson- He might be the best coach in the league stats wise. He is rated 4,10,10,10 and has gone 123-28. He has 3 National Championships already including 2 back to back the past 2 years, and 1 Big East title. He has also coached 1 All American and their Prestige has gone from 98 to 100.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

Now onto the decision making process.

1. Cincinnati- Cristobal Malone- I'm going to keep him around for at least another season and hope he improves them, although his 234 rated recruiting class last year doesn't give me a lot of excitement. Id like to at least see him play in a post season tournament this year. He doesn't have a lot of leeway here though.

2. 2. Connecticut- Devin Foust- Not even another thought with this guy. 1 Title and counting, I hope he keeps it up.

3. DePaul-Scott Healey- He has just been fired. There was just no hope under him. The team went 39-86 and only won a total of 18 Big East games in his 4 years. It simply cant continue. His 303 rated recruiting class doesn't help matters either. New Depaul Coach coming up!

4. Georgetown- Ken Ortiz- While Ken hasn't exactly knocked the world around in his tenure at Georgetown, he hasn't exactly been horrible either. Id like to see them compete for the Big East Title and take that next step.

5. Louisville- Daniel Eakin- While I particularly do not care for him, he did land the 11th best recruiting class in the nation this past year, so ill cut him some slack. Id like to see them compete for the Big East title.

6. Marquette- Jeramy Belt- Jeramy doesn't have the coach ratings Id like to see but I do like that he was able to improve the team in his 4 years and he brought in the 68 rated recruiting class which ranked 7th in the Big East. I have to believe he is on the right track and therefore he stays. Id like to see them make a post season tournament again,

7. Notre Dame-David Scott- Ya has done a lot so far so he isn't going anywhere.

8. Pittsburgh- Leland Ward- I love his ratings as a coach, but he just hasn't been able to put it together with PITT. I mean come on they started as a 92 Prestige and are now currently sitting at 80. He has recruited really well his first 3 seasons so I'm not sure what the problem is here. It has to be him. However I am giving him his last chance this year and want to see them compete for the Big East Title. Last Chance, Last Shot, whats he gonna do with it???

9. Providence- Richard Leija- I like what he has done with Providence so far. They have done better the last 2 years under him than that did before he was there, so its an improvement. He had the 85th best class last year which was good for 9th in the Big East. Cant complain about that.

10. Rutgers- Jackie Corral- 38-86 just isn't getting it done, and there really isn't a whole lot to look forward with leaving him in charge of the program. Another Easy decision here, Rutgers will have a new coach next season!

11. Seton Hall- James Wyant- As I'm sure everyone knows you need to be able to recruit in NYC and Jersey here to have any type of success at "The Hall" and he just cant recruit. He rating is a 4 and the last class he had was in the 300's and the other one was in 200's. Both were good for 2nd to last in that department in the Big East. He is also gone!

12. South Florida-Stanford Ericson- This guy I cant be any happier with. In a single season he guided them to 20+ wins and their first shot in the IAAUS Tournament. I hope they continue to improve and I'm hoping he makes the tourney again this year. I however as a goal just want to see them reach any tournament period.

13. St. John's- Kristopher Hale- He just hasn't gotten the job done, and with 44 wins this call was easy. He seems to be able to recruit ratings wise, but that hasn't translated to getting better recruits either. 2 classes in the low 200's and for a NYC school this just cant happen. Another Coach bites the dust!!

13. Syracuse- Jacinto Gomez- No issues here with the Cuse. 122 wins and 2 conference titles says enough. Id like to see them get back to at least the sweet 16 again though. Back to back to Final 4's are really tough to do.

14. Villanova- Edward Shade- This guy has over 100 wins however has only been out of the 1st round of the tourney once (this past year year with an Elite 8 trip). I need to see this continue with another Sweet 16 appearances at least. This is too good of a program to keep taking an early exit out of the tourney.

15. West Virginia- James Johnson- lol ya 3 titles in 4 years.... Don't think he is going anywhere!

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
muns
Pro Starter

4 jobs open and I don't like a lot of the candidates from the Big East Assistant Pool.

West Virginia's Daniel Hansen is prob the best candidate of the bunch, however he failed miserably at Kentucky. He ended up going 51-46 before getting canned. He is young at 35, so he still has time for a big time job, however I'm not sure if he is gonna get snapped up here quickly by another big time Conference. He just did win a title at WVU. He is gonna be on a shortlist of mine.

Also on my Short list are some Big Conference Assistants.

Duke's Recruiting Coordinator Isiah Morley. His ratings are 10,10,2,8 and he is 61-40 before being fired at Vandy. I think he got hosed there though. He is only 40, really young and could make a hall of fame coach if he could find the right job.

Michael Bedford who is Wake's Recruiting Coordinator. He hasn't been a Head coach yet but his ratings seem solid with 10,6,1,6 and he is 46 years old.

Mark Babcock who is Illinois Recruiting Coordinator. He is 38 with ratings of 10,6,1,3 and he was at the Final 4 last year.

Ohio State's RC Daron Montes. Daron is 39 with ratings of 9,7,9,5. He was Virgina Techs HC for 2 years before getting canned going 29-32.

and finally

LSU'S RC Bobby Decastro. He has ratings of 10,2,7,4 and is only 39. He also hasn't been a head coach before.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
muns
Pro Starter

On my list of current Head Coaches are:

Weber State's Carl Young- He has gone 71-59 with 1 Conference Title, and has made the IAAUS Tourney twice. At 39 his ratings are 6,6,9,6

Radfords Larry Vaillancourt- He has gone 75-54 with 2 Conference titles and has made the big dance once while making the NIT twice. He is 41 years young with ratings of 2,7,6,10

Winthrop's Jonas Marr- He has ratings of 10,10,2,3 and has gone 83-48. He also has 2 Conference titles and has been to the IAAUS twice. He is a young 38

George Mason's Darell Riordan- He has made the big Dance all 4 years (although has gone out in the first round each year) and has an overall record of 88-51 with 1 conference title. He is 47 years old with ratings of 10,6,10,2

Old Dominion's Robert Dutcher- Robert is 46 and has ratings of 2,10,10, and 5. He has gone 92-39 making the Sweet 16 in his first year and 2 NIT trips the past 2 years.

Virginia Commonwealth's Chris Killingsworth- At 47 he has ratings of 10,10,8 and 2. He has gone an unreal 100-35 and has 3 conference titles. He has been to the big dance once, and the NIT 3 straight years.

Drake's Curt Wells- At age 36 he has gone 81-46 and has ratings of 10,7,5,7 and has made the NIT 3 out of 4 seasons.

Northern Iowa's Freeman Wallace- At 34 he has made the NIT 4 straight years finishing 3rd and 4th the past 2 years. He has gone 99-42 with 1 All American and has ratings of 10,3,10,5

Sam Houston State's Brian Batista- At 29 this kid has to be a major up and comer. His ratings are 4,4,10,10 and he has gone 89-46. He has made the big dance once while making the NIT the past 2 years and the finals of the 4IT three seasons ago.

Stephen F. Austin's Michael Cothran- Like Batista above he is young 28 and has the potential to be a rock star. His ratings are 5,3,10,8. He has gone 95-37 winning 2 conf titles along the way, producing an All American and making the big show the past 2 seasons.

Oral Roberts's Jack Adams- His ratings are 6,9,10,2 and he has gone 81-54 winning 1 conf title. He has been to the NIT twice and the 3BI once.

Western Kentucky's Maynard Obryan- who at 44 looks darn good. His ratings are 7,8,10,6 and he has gone 100-38 with 3 conference titles and 1 All American Selection. he has been to the 4IT once and the Big show the past 3 years including a Sweet 16 appearance two seasons ago.

and finally

Utah State's Gary Martinez-who has only been there 1 season. He took the job there after his first 3 years at East Tennessee State. He has gone a total of 101-36 with 2 conf titles and producing 1 All American. He has been to the big dance once and the NIT 3 seaons. His ratings are 9,4,10,4.

Last edited by muns : 03-07-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
muns
Pro Starter

Thats a long list of 18 possible candidates for 4 open jobs in the Big East.

I'm not even sure where I am going to go with this. I was surprised at how many coaches caught my eye.

Its not like these jobs are Huge Jobs especially the ones that are total rebuilds ( Depaul and Seton Hall) so I'm not sure if it would be better to go after a real young guy and hope he grows into the position or go with a guy that has already proven himself at a smaller school.

It def going to be fun watching these 18 for this upcoming round of jobs though, and see if any of them get snatched up by the AI if I do not take them.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
muns
Pro Starter

I think I have cut the list down to these 8 guys.

The 3 Big time Conference Assistants

Duke's Recruiting Coordinator Isiah Morley, Ohio State's Recruiting Coordinator Daron Montes and LSU'S Recruiting Coordinator Bobby Decastro.

and the 5 Current Head Coaches

George Mason's Darell Riordan, Virginia Commonwealth's Chris Killingsworth, Northern Iowa's Freeman Wallace, Western Kentucky's Maynard Obryan and Utah State's Gary Martinez
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
muns
Pro Starter

I put a poll up with the 8 choices

Who do you think the 4 Head Coaches Should Be? - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nice start and a solid dynasty concept, muns.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Nice start and a solid dynasty concept, muns.

Thanks DC. This first season should take the longest, but I'm hoping to pick it up and quicken the pace a bit. I didn't realize how many guys I would want to follow right off the bat.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
muns
Pro Starter

So the 4 coaches that I decided to go with (thanks on the help with the voting) are:

Rutgers- They are basically in shambles and are in need of some desperate coaching help. This hire for me seemed like a no brainer. Isiah Morley who had a previous 3 year head coaching stint at Vandy (61-40) brings a lot to the table here. He can recruit and scout (both are at 10 ratings) plus he does have the experience at a Big time School already. On top of that guess where Mr. Morley went to school????? If you guessed Rutgers you nailed it. How can you not like an alum to come in and try to turn things around here? I'm hoping he can get the recruits in here and start to be competitive in the conference. The goal for them this year is just to not finish in last. I'm thinking he will prob at least last 4 years and then Ill re-evaluate where he is at that point in time.

St. John's- Another program in need of some help ASAP. They don't have much of a roster to work with but are in much better shape than Rutgers is. Here I went with Chris Killingsworth from Virginia Commonwealth. Chris bring in a lot of winning experience (100-35 plus 3 conference titles in 4 years) and he also has the ratings that I was looking for. He has 10's in both recruiting and scouting, and like just Isiah above, needs to get out on the recruiting trail to make this team relevant again. The ratings and experience seem to both be there, So now its just a sit back and see what happens thing. I'd like to see them finish 500 in the Big East this season, and I'll more than likely give him at least 4 years before I revisit this situation as well.

Depaul- This program is in the worst shape out of them all. They have no roster to speak of, and their prestige is at 53. It wouldn't surprise me if they got replaced in the Big East here shortly if things don't start to change. I went with Freeman Wallace the youngest coach out of the 4 that got selected. Freeman is an interesting selection here. He went 99-42 at Northern Iowa and did develop an All American there, however just like the other programs I've already talked about, recruiting is crucial, and Freeman has the 10 rating in that category as well. I'm also hoping that his 10 rating in coaching Offense will help the guys that cant seem to do anything with the ball once they get it. I'm not expecting a whole lot out of Depaul for a number of years and as long as Freeman brings things along slowly he will more than likely get more time vs the others that I have hired already. Being younger is one of the reasons why I went with him for this spot.

Seton Hall- "The Hall" had 7 Big East wins last year and have the best roster and Prestige out of the previous 3 Schools that I've talked about. So technically they are in the best current shape. I'm taking a gamble with who I hired for this spot as Maynard Obryan doesn't exactly have the same rating structure as the others I have hired. Maynard has a 7 in recruiting, 8 in scouting, 10 on coaching offense and 6 on coaching "D". He seems like a pretty well balanced guy so the hope is that he can both bring in good talent and develop it. If it turns out that he cant bring it in, then this will go down as a bad hire for me. He went 100-38 in his 4 years at Western Kentucky and won 3 conference championships. I'm hoping he can bring that same winning mentality to a Jersey school that has a lot of pride however just needs a push back in the correct direction.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
muns
Pro Starter

Some interesting notes-

1. The ACC, the Big 12, and the SEC didnt make any Head Coaching Changes.

2. Iowa fired Mikel Sim who went 36-84 in his 4 seasons and they hired someone I didnt expect at all....... They hired former Rutgers coach and the man I just fired for going 38-86 Jackie Corral.

3. Michigan fired Daniel Bullington for going 70-59. His ratings are 10,10,5,6. Maybe one of my coaches will scoop him up for theirs staffs.

4. Purdue fired Romeo Phelps for going 79-55 and he promply got hired at Duquesne.

5. In the Pac-10 both Washington Schools had their head coaches retire. They didnt hire anybody worth mentioning which was interesting.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
muns
Pro Starter

As for the guys that I did not Hire, 4 made moves.

Michael Bedford who was Wake's Recruiting Coordinator, got Hired by Portland State as its Head Coach.

Weber State's Carl Young- He left and took the job at Central Michigan.

George Mason's Darell Riordan- Darell took a nice Leap and landed with Memphis. All he has there is a team that lost in the Elite 8 last season and Prestige of 88. Wondering if I missed a huge hire for one of my teams here.

Oral Roberts's Jack Adams- Jack Took the VCU job vacated when I hired Chris Killingsworth at St. John's. Real nice hire there and was impressed by what the AI did.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
muns
Pro Starter

As for the rest of the guys I was looking at

The Assistants:

Mark Babcock is still at Illinois as its RC

Daron Montes is still at Ohio State as the RC

Bobby Decastro is still at LSU'S as the RC

The Head Coaches

Radford still has Larry Vaillancourt as its HC

Winthrop still has Jonas Marr as its HC

Old Dominion still has Robert Dutcher as its HC

Drake still has Curt Wells as its HC

Sam Houston State still has Brian Batista as its HC

Stephen F. Austin still has Michael Cothran as its HC

Utah State still has Gary Martinez as its HC
Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
muns
Pro Starter

I was not all that impressed with who the new Head Coaches brought in for assistants. Seton Hall and St. John's did ok, but DePaul and Rutgers were a dissapointment. But its not my butt on the line huh

Hopefully as recruiting starts up they can start to look a little bit better.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
muns
Pro Starter

Early Recruiting looks really good for DePaul as they landed 1 and lead on 2 others.

Rutgers has 2 commits already, 1 looks to be ok and the other one looks like he will be a scorer, but nothing like what Depaul might have.

Seton Hall doesnt have jack, and it looks like what I was talking about earlier about him not being high in the recruiting ratings might be hurting him.

St. Johns lands Mr Basketball from Connecticut, leads on another and then is second on an All American. I'm really liking Chris Killingsworth's recruiting style with St. Johns.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
muns
Pro Starter

Lets see how the first month of the season goes

About how I pictured it. Was hoping to have more top 25 teams but 5 isnt that bad for the moment.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
muns
Pro Starter

December is done and there are a few shockers and they are mostly with the teams that I just hired for.....

The biggest shocker is that Rutgers is already at 6 wins which is already 1 better than last season!!!!!

Im shocked that St. Johns is 8-3 and Seton Hall are 7-4.

All St. Johns needs to do is win 4 more games and they will tie their win total from last season. So far really happy with how they have started.

DePaul only needs 1 more win to tie last seasons win total...

All in all im really pleased with how this season has gone the first 2 months

Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
muns
Pro Starter

I changed my mind, im not going to do a standings update each month. Just gonna keep rolling right on
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #21
muns
Pro Starter

Final Big East Standings before the Conf Tourney

Last edited by muns : 03-10-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #22
muns
Pro Starter

Cincinnati just blew this year....
Providence and Marquette were also disappointments

We do however have some nice bright spots.

3 teams ranked in the top 6, and 8 teams ranked in the top 40 of the RPI.

South Florida may have a shot at making the dance this year, and I think id be happy with 8 total teams making the big show.

Villanova is interesting to me. Not sure how they are ranked 20th, but look to be right on that bubble.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
muns
Pro Starter

And of course just as I say that Villanova makes it to the title game of the Big East Tourney only to loose to Notre Dame 48-61.

So on the the IAAUS Tourament.

In the West Region we have 2 teams

#1 Seed Notre Dame will play the Play in winner
#7 Seed Villanova (who is a dangerous 7 seed) plays #10 seed Clemson

In the Midwest Region we have 2 teams

#4 Seed Pitt plays #13 UTEP
#7 Seed Georgetown plays #10 Nevada

In the South Region we have 2 teams

#9 Seed Louisville plays #8 Chattanoga
#2 Seed WVU plays #15 Jacksonville

In the East Region we also got 2 teams

#8 Seed UCONN plays #9 Miami
#2 Seed Syracuse plays #15 Weber State
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #24
muns
Pro Starter

Freaking South Florida gets a #2 Seed in the NIT...... I was really hoping they could make a late push for a bid but it wasnt meant to be.

Big East has 8 teams in the big show
ACC has 7 teams
SEC has 7 teams
Big 12 has 7 teams
Pac-10 has 4 teams
Big 10 has 2 teams
Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
muns
Pro Starter

South Florida beats NC State 75-64 in its first round NIT game

Pitt beats UTEP 80-73
WVU beats Jacksonville 82-48
Syracuse beats Weber State 95-52
UCONN beats Miami 88-79

Our only loss on the first day was Chattanooga beating Louisville 93-78
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #26
muns
Pro Starter

South Florida looses to San Diego State in the 2nd round of the NIT 76-65

Notre Dame crushes UNC Ashville 121-64
Georgetown beats Nevada 80-66

We did have a loss by my Big East sleeper team

Villanova gets spanked by Clemson 74-59
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #27
muns
Pro Starter

2nd Round Action

Just a horrible day for the Big East

Butler upsets Pitt 68-63
USC upsets WVU 88-84
BYU crushes UCONN 94-70

Our only win was by Syracuse who beat Milwauke 81-73
Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #28
muns
Pro Starter

next day

Notre Dame beats Wake Forest 72-56
Georgetown looses to Rhode Island 82-57 and this was not a seeding upset
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
muns
Pro Starter

Sweet 16 action

UNC beats Syracuse 104-86
Notre Dame keeps the Big East alive with a 76-61 win vs Stanford

Elite 8

UCLA destroys Notre Dame 103-61.

For the 2nd time in the history of the league, there will not be a Big East Champ... Heck of a nice run though.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
muns
Pro Starter

I know there was some talk in the FBCB thread about the seeds that make it to the final four. Here the are a 2 vs 6 and a 3 vs 1.

With a 2 vs a 3 for the final (UCLA vs Illinois)

Close game UCLA wins 72-70
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #31
muns
Pro Starter

Recruiting came out pretty decent in the Big East I think

Yes a few programs should have been higher but overall to get everyone program except 3 in the top 100 isnt bad in my book.

DePaul's class coming in at 58 give me a lot of hope!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #32
muns
Pro Starter

Side Notes

The Big 10 and 3 classes ranked in the top 6!!! OUCH!!!!
The ACC had 2 in the top 4!!!
The Pac-10 had 3 in the top 12, and 6 in the top 30!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
muns
Pro Starter

So Season 1 comes to an end.

I was happy with the 3 guys that were hired at Depaul, Rutgers and St. Johns especially with what they were able to do in the first seasons.

Seton Hall and Maynard Obryan kind of makes me nervous but he has a few more years to go before he comes back up on the chopping block.

The evaluation process of a few coaches that I dont think made the grade this season comes up next and im sure ill have a couple more hires to make!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

Fascinating dynasty concept. It's giving me new ideas for what I do when I actually take charge of something in the Zeroed Out dynasty.

One question: Exactly how are you setting this up in game terms?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #35
muns
Pro Starter

If anyone wants to get thrown into the mix either as a recruit or coach now is the time to do it
Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #36
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Fascinating dynasty concept. It's giving me new ideas for what I do when I actually take charge of something in the Zeroed Out dynasty.

One question: Exactly how are you setting this up in game terms?

Thanks Izulde but your the one thats got the skills when it comes to this stuff.

Do you mean how am I running all the coaches?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #37
muns
Pro Starter

Big East Evaluation of Coaches

Cincinnati-Cristobal Malone- Well he has gone 83-82 in his 5 years with the Bearcats. Nothing special to say the least. In looking over the roster he has 2 guys that can play total, and then he did have a nice Freshman class (2 guys) that came in being rated at #34, good for 6th in the Conference. I'm not sure 2 guys coming in being highly touted is enough to keep your job, especially since the entire Roster is your kids which brings me to the next problem. He only has 7 scholarship players on his roster........ He is out, new coach in Cinncy coming up!!!

Connecticut-Devin Foust- 2 years in a row the Huskies have lost in the 2nd round of the tourney, however they do have a championship, and the barge doesn't show any signs of slowing down. Nothing more to see here.

DePaul-Freeman Wallace- DePaul had its best season both in terms of wins and losses but out in the recruiting scene as well. Couldn't be any happier with him

Georgetown- Ken Ortiz- Ken is a guy that is going to start to get dangerously close to loosing his cozy job at G-Town. He produces in the regular season like a champ, however in the post season thats a total different story. In 5 years he has been out of the 2nd round once (his first season) and every other year its a first or 2nd round exit. He might be safe this year, and the year after, however I need to start to see some production of one of the Big East's best teams in the IAAUS Tournament.

Louisville- Daniel Eakin- Daniel bounced back this season taking the Cardinals to a 20+ win season and a place in the National Tournament. His first round loss is irritating, however he seems to be making some progress and as long as that progress is going up, he will be on decent ground coaching wise with me.

Marquette- Jeramy Belt- This one is a really tough call. In 5 years he is 95-74 which isn't all that bad, however the program is not progressing enough and is actually loosing precious prestige points (now down 10 to 78). Couple that with the fact that he only has 8 scholarship kids on the roster (including only landing 1 Freshman this year) and I think thats enough for me to call it quits and give him his Pink Slip! NEXT!!!!

Notre Dame-David Scott- Really nothing to see here. Just a great coach that keeps on winning (133-52) and he was the only coach that had a team past the Sweet 16 for us last year. Very secure indeed!

Pittsburgh-Leland Ward- Honestly this guy just pisses me off. I have no idea how you screw this job up this bad. I wanted him to make the Tourney this past year, and he did, however he bows out in the 2nd round. As if that isn't bad enough, he only lands 1 Freshman, has 7 scholarship players on his roster and the Prestige has dropped from 92 to 81.... Ya Id say its time to part ways with a guy that has great ratings as a coach. It will be interesting to see where he lands next season.

Providence- Richard Leija- Providence has gone down each of the past 3 years, however it hasn't been that bad, and I don't mind giving this guy a few more chances/ seasons. They aren't getting blown out and have been right in the thick of things in the Big East. I mean we are talking about Providence here, so that isn't too shabby.

Rutgers- Isiah Morley- Was pleased with his first season as the team fell 1 win short of the most wins in a season in school history. If he can sustain that progress over 4 years he is gonna make me look like I knew what I was doing during the hiring phase.

Seton Hall- Maynard Obryan- The Hall had its worst season ever under Maynard, but I was sort of expecting that. This job right now is a rebuild so he has some time, however his class wasn't all that great this year, but if they develop to their strengths it wont be a bad first one.

South Florida-Stanford Ericson- Again I am tickled to death with him. He got hosed by not getting invited to IAAUS tourney last season. The team has just improved by leaps and bounds under him. I hope they can continue it!

St. John's- Chris Killingsworth- Another 1st year guy that started off hot. St. John's had the most wins in a season in school history under Killingsworth. They aren't anywhere near what I want them to be, yet there is hope and a future I believe with Chris at the helm.

Syracuse- Jacinto Gomez-Really no need to go into anything with him. He continues to be a great coach and win games. Another Sweet 16 loss for him this past season (his 2nd) however thats the worst he has done in the tournament in 5 years. Cant be mad at that!

Villanova- Edward Shade- I cant help but think if Villanova would be better off with someone else in charge. Again he does fine in the regular season (126-43) however when he gets into the postseason his teams fizzle out so bad that I sit here and question the man.... He had an ok recruiting class this year but its not where it should be..... Ill give him another year and well see where we stand after this season with him.

15. West Virginia- James Johnson- Had a disappointing year by his standards (got bounced in the 2nd round of the IAAUS) but I mean when you already have 3 National Titles in 5 years to your name, what do you expect?? I doubt he goes anywhere

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #38
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Hey muns, nice idea. Wish you'd have went with the Big Twelve instead of the Big East. lol. any chance I can get in on this as one of the coaches?
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #39
muns
Pro Starter

So i have 3 jobs to fill and I'm not sure If I even want to use the same candidate pool as last time.

In looking over things again, I do not want to use the same pool. I take a few guys out, and actually add a few more to my list.

The Assistants:

West Virginia's Daniel Hansen who has ratings of 10,10,2,9

Duke's Assistant and Former Michigan Head Coach Daniel Bullington who has ratings of 10,10,5,6

Ohio States Daron Montes who has ratings of 9,7,9,5

LSU'S Bobby Decastro who has ratings of 10,2,7,4

The Head Coaches

UNC Asheville Head Coach Kelly Rochester- Ratings of 9,4,9,2 and is 87-74 with 2 trips to the IAAUS tournament

UC Irvine Head Coach Gabriel Ware- Ratings of 10,1,7,6 and is 32-32

Georgia State Head Coach David Rainer- Ratings of 10,10,8,2 and is 82-75 with a IAAUS tourney bid and an NIT bid

Butler Head Coach Booker Duck- Ratings of 10,6,2,10 and is 116-52 with 1 Conference Title and a final 4 & a Sweet 16 appearances

Siena Head Coach George Savoy- Ratings of 6,10,6,4 and is 105-57 with 2 IAAUS bids and a NIT bid

Old Dominion Head Coach Robert Dutcher- Ratings of 2,10,10,6 and is 117-50 with 1 IAAUS trip and 3 NIT trips

Drake Head Coach Curt Wells- Ratings of 10,7,5,7 and is 91-67 with 3 NIT appearances

Sam Houston State Head Coach Brian Batista- Ratings of 4,4,10,10 and is 108-61 with 4 Nits trips and a IAAUS first round exit.

Stephen F. Austin and Michael Cothran- Ratings of 5,3,10,9 and is 112-53 with 2 conference titles, 2 NIT trips, and 2 IAAUS tirps

Utah State Head Coach Gary Martinez- Ratings of 9,4,10,4 and is 123-49 with 3 conference titles, 2 IAAUS trips (including a sweet 16 appearance) and 3 NIT trips.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #40
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegesportsfanms View Post
Hey muns, nice idea. Wish you'd have went with the Big Twelve instead of the Big East. lol. any chance I can get in on this as one of the coaches?

Sure no problem at all. Do you want to start off as an assistant and try to work your way up, an assistant at a big time program, or a head coach at a small school?

Just give me a name an age and then one of those 3 choices and ill input ya.

Lol sorry about the big 12 but ya im actually wishing I did the big 10 now instead, as there are so many teams in the Big East, but i get to play around more this way too

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #41
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Let's go with an assistant at a big time program, then hopefully within a couple years I'll be a head coach at a small school and work my way up so that you'll hire me in the Big East.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #42
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Mike Schaplowsky
Position: Assistant Coach at power conference school (not Big East) We'll save the Big East for a head coaching job if that's ok.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #43
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Mike Schaplowsky
Position: Assistant Coach at power conference school (not Big East) We'll save the Big East for a head coaching job if that's ok.

Of course thats fine, that sounds like a good plan.

My bad I need more info cause im an idiot and cant do a few things at once

I need all this stuff, as I only asked for the first 3

Quote:
First name:
Last name:
City:
State:
Alma Mater:

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #44
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Schaplowsky
High School: Wichita West
City: Wichita
State: KS
Alma Mater: Wichita State
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #45
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Awesome, I have you in the game, I just need to pick the other 3 coaches in the Big East and ill let you know where you landed
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #46
muns
Pro Starter

I think I have found the 3 guys that I want to take over these 3 good programs. There was some hard choices, however in the end I feel like these 3 are the best fits for each individual program.

Cincinnati- I went with Utah State Head Coach Gary Martinez- He has a recruiting rating of 9 which is up there, but then he can develop the "O" like mad(10 rating), but yet is still ok with developing the "D" (4 rating). He also isnt too shabby in the stats deparment going 123-49 with 3 conference titles, 2 IAAUS trips (including a sweet 16 appearance) and 3 NIT bids. Im hoping that post season success can rub off in Cinncy.

Marquette- I went with Duke's Assistant and Former Michigan Head Coach Daniel Bullington who I think just got jobbed out of his former head coaching job at Michigan. His ratings are perfect for a University that used to be a top 25 program that needs its luster returned and quickly. He has the experience and ratings that I think will get the job done in Marquette.

Pittsburgh- Last up I chose Butler Head Coach Booker Duck- In order for Pitt to be where it should be I was looking for a guy that could recruit (he can 10 rating there) and also develop the talent on "D" (he has a 10 rating there as well). Not only does he have the ratings to compete in the Big East he comes in as one of the more accomplished lower conference head coaches. He has already reached a Sweet 16 and a Final 4 in his 5 years of coaching. He comes into the best situation as Pitt has a decent roster this year.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #47
muns
Pro Starter

As a side note the other coaches that nearly had jobs were:

Siena Head Coach George Savoy- Ratings of 6,10,6,4 and is 105-57 with 2 IAAUS bids and a NIT bid

Georgia State Head Coach David Rainer- Ratings of 10,10,8,2 and is 82-75 with a IAAUS tourney bid and an NIT bid

Ohio States Daron Montes who has ratings of 9,7,9,5
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #48
muns
Pro Starter

I forgot to list the teams that have changed Conferences so far since I do have Conference Movement on limited.

2011- East Tennessee State went from the Atlantic Sun to the Southland
2011- Central Arkansas went from the Southland to the Atlantic Sun
2012- BYU went from the Mountain West to the Pac-10
2012- Oregon State went from the Pac-10 to the Mountain West
2013- Belmont went from the Atlantic Sun to the Sun Belt
2013- Louisiana Monroe went from the Sun Belt to the Atlantic Sun
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #49
muns
Pro Starter

Major Coaching Changes

ACC

Boston College fires Steven Johnson who was 85-72. Oregon at that point said thank you and hired him. Then BC goes out and hires Former Cincy Coach (who I just fired) Cristobal Malone who is 83-82.

Big 12

Colorado Hires Justin Wadsworth (due to their HC retiring) who was 56-99 at Wyoming.
Iowa State Fires Orlando Wooster for going 76-80 and hires Jimmy Pichardo from Marshal who is 86-74.
Oklahoma fires Chris Wetzel who went 94-70 (had a horrible season last year going 9-22) however he gets hired by Washington State on the spot. They replace Wetzel with former Marquette Coach Jeramy Belt.

Big 10

Ohio State hires former Pitt Coach Leland Ward as their HC retired.
Penn State hires Antonio Jones who went 75-86 at Detroit (thier old HC retired)

Pac-10

Oregon Fires Brooks Olson for going 68-90. As I already highlighted he came from Boston College
Washinton State hires Chris Wetzel as I have already talked about this one too

SEC

South Carolina fires Kevin Callen for going 86-70 (who then Valpo hires) and Hires Andrew Concepcion who was the Head Coach at Creighton (he went 93-69 there)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #50
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just so you know, I didnt pick where you landed.... I had you go through the normal assistant coaching hiring process and it just worked out for you

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.