Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #5051
Suicane75
Coordinator

God rest his soul, but man was he awful.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #5052
PilotMan
Head Coach

Matt Dillon's character in Something About Mary reminded me of ol' Lee after he got the veneers on his teeth. RIP Lee.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #5053
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That Lee Marshall deal is strange. He passed away back in April and it was reported weeks ago on the wrestling sites - DDP did a nice little video for him - but it took more then 2 weeks to get picked up mainstream.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #5054
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

something else cool from that article from TMZ - the original Tony the Tiger voice was the guy who sang the Grinch song.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #5055
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
something else cool from that article from TMZ - the original Tony the Tiger voice was the guy who sang the Grinch song.

Thurl Ravenscroft is also associated with several iconic Disney attractions including The Haunted Mansion (the narrator and the lead singer of the singing busts near the graveyard) and The Enchanted Tiki Room (he's the voice of Fritz the singing parrot).
Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #5056
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I had read about the Daniel Bryan surgery earlier today and how it has set the WWE creative team scrambling. I have to admit, I'm not sure it's a bad thing if they truly let it turn everything on its head.

I think the first thing I would do to help keep The Authority relevant is strip Bryan of the titles and begin a battle for them between The Shield and the members of Evolution (particularly given the supposed problems with Batista's promises) and I would climax it with a battle between Roman Reigns and HHH. I may even, in the meantime, give the titles to Kane as a reward for putting Bryan out and the winner of a Reigns-HHH battle gets the shot.

That allows them to bring Bryan back at the bottom and trying to struggle back up, perhaps against Roman Reigns which would be fascinating from a fan standpoint as they're both pretty popular characters.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #5057
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, and I loved Bryan's improv when the crowd was split on him, "Now I know how John Cena feels."
Old 05-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #5058
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bad news for me since I had purchased tickets for the next PPV, Payback, in Chicago. Without him and Punk, I am getting less excited.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #5059
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry Neuqua. I really wanted to take my 5 year old but held off and given that his favorite is Bryan it may end up being an okay choice.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #5060
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I got tickets to the next night in Indy for Raw, so I was disappointed as well.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #5061
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Vince McMahon Loses Nearly 1/3 Of Fortune - Business Insider
Old 05-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #5062
Suicane75
Coordinator

That's what you get when you try to play the carny in the real world.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #5063
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Did that surprise anyone who knew what they were talking about, or even read this thread? No. Which begs the question... who is hyping these stock prices?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #5064
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Did that surprise anyone who knew what they were talking about, or even read this thread? No. Which begs the question... who is hyping these stock prices?

It gives you hope that if you actually know something about an industry, even as an observer, you can beat wall street and make good stock picks.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #5065
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Has the network taken a drastic reduction in quality for anyone else tonight? I'm getting dizzy from it swapping in and out of HD and I've gotten spots where is has gotten stuck in a loop and I see the same 5 seconds repeated three times in a row. The first two PPV events were basically flawless for me. This is borderline valueless.

EDIT: Shut it off. Can't watch it tonight apparently.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-01-2014 at 07:32 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #5066
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I'm getting the same thing started during the Cena match for me. It seems to be getting better though.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #5067
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry dubb, this is actually the best quality viewing I've had (none have been bad but I haven't had the slightest slip, jump or stutter).

Unfortunately, the PPV itself isn't as good. At this point, really 1 good match: Cena v. Wyatt.

I'm geared up for Evolution though and it's next...
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #5068
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

So far the NXT show earlier this week was better IMO.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #5069
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I was in attendance tonight in Indy. Interesting ending to the show.
Spoiler
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #5070
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

The end of the show caught me completely off-guard. I'm a fan of Evolution and after the way the show began, I was pretty disappointed even though I'm not a Batista fan. The end...sheesh!

I had assumed
Spoiler
Old 06-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #5071
Comey
College Starter

Reports are Daniel Bryan is being stripped of the title tonight, due to not being cleared for MiTB.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #5072
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What did Damian Sandow do to get this gimmick, sleep with Linda McMahon or something?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #5073
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What did Damian Sandow do to get this gimmick, sleep with Linda McMahon or something?

Vince should be kept as far away from creative as possible.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #5074
molson
General Manager

Damien Sandow was born to be a comedy low-card heel.

Last edited by molson : 06-10-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #5075
molson
General Manager

First WWE roster bloodletting in a few years today: Camacho, Brodus Clay, Evan Bourne, Yoshi Tatsu, Aksana, Curt Hawkins, Jinder Mahal, JTG, Teddy Long, Drew McIntyre released (could be more on the way). Obviously, none of those guys are super significant, but for the last 3 or 4 years, the WWE hardly released anybody, and just waited until their contracts expired instead. I guess they figure with the stock already in the toilet, a few firings can't hurt them now. The NXT roster is loaded, I think this was pretty overdue.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #5076
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I can see Teddy Long being around for so long as a reason to keep or dismiss him.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #5077
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I agree. Once a wrestler is done, get rid of him. There's plenty of up and comers lined up to take their place.

Wrestling fans definitely appreciate some fresh blood once in a while. It's definitely better than seeing the Big Show vs. Kane again.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #5078
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I could stay in the same room with Jim Cornette for more than five minutes without a brawl erupting (his politics & mine don't jibe at all) but damned if the SOB can't tell a story better than just about anybody.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #5079
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like barely follow wrestling at all, and it's been like 10+ years since I watched it, but like didn't everyone in the world know that Pat Patterson was gay? I guess at some point richard simmons is going to come out and everyone is going to act all flabbergasted.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #5080
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Yeah as far as I know Patterson was out. My guess is it was done as a way for WWE to get some media attention to the network.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #5081
miami_fan
Coordinator

This happened a couple of weeks ago but I have not seen it posted.

Devon 'Hannibal' Nicholson wins case against 'Abdullah the Butcher'
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #5082
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, after all the hype over the WWE network I can safely say that I will be letting my sub run out in August. I imagine that there will be many others like me as well. So is it a success or failure at this point?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #5083
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well, after all the hype over the WWE network I can safely say that I will be letting my sub run out in August. I imagine that there will be many others like me as well. So is it a success or failure at this point?

They still haven't met their intended sub numbers and I would assume they will have a really hard time getting people to pay full price for a pay-per-view broadcast again at this point.

I'm keeping my sub though. No reason for me not to keep it. I'm a big fan of the network. Even without any other shows I am enjoying the PPV broadcasts enough alone to keep my sub up(I watch other shows too).

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-30-2014 at 11:25 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #5084
molson
General Manager

The network numbers have pretty much been a disaster, especially when you consider that many of them are definitely from international customers who know how to work around the location requirements.

It kills that old argument that if you make these PPVs cheaper, lots of people will buy them. It's a good lesson for UFC.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #5085
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Failure after what it helped do to the stock. They promised everyone a lot more subscribers and won't come close even if they open to international.

I didn't get the sub but I've heard mixed reviews on the network. From what I understand NXT is pretty much the only reason people are keeping it.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #5086
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The network numbers have pretty much been a disaster, especially when you consider that many of them are definitely from international customers who know how to work around the location requirements.

It kills that old argument that if you make these PPVs cheaper, lots of people will buy them. It's a good lesson for UFC.

maybe WWE can do something they havnt done in quiet some time, improve the quality of the shows from top to bottom. theyve increased the production values as much as possible, but the story lines, fueds, bookings are really lacking for over a decade
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #5087
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

The network, combined with Grantland articles about WWE have gotten me back on the bandwagon. The most recent big NXT show was outstanding, as was Wrestlemania and the MITB match last night.

Will be keeping my subscription, provided the price point remains the same.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #5088
RainMaker
General Manager

I'll probably be cancelling my subscription. I still love the idea of it, but not sure it holds the value. Going through some old PPVs was cool but they still lack a lot of the old Raws, Smackdowns, Nitros and so on that I was expecting.

NXT is really good but not worth $10/month. The WWE PPVs have been crap lately and I've watched Cena and Orton go at it for nearly 10 years and they don't seem to be interested in changing that.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #5089
twothree
College Prospect

I will keep my subscription for now.

I haven't had cable TV for over five years, so I don't watch Raw, Smackdown, or PPV's on TV. However, from Jan. 2009 until Feb. 2013 I was buying every PPV on DVD when it came out. So, I think $9.99 a month is a good price point.

I stopped buying PPV DVDs after the 2013 Elimination Chamber event. I looked at the schedule card for the 2013 Wrestlemania and saw Rock vs Cena part two. Hell, no! I was not going to spend my money on that again. Haven't bought a WWE DVD since.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #5090
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm in Canada and I still don't have access to the network. I'm sure I will subscribe. I'm about 3 months behind on my wrestling viewing, I haven't even seen Wrestlemania yet. Honestly, I've been in and out of wrestling my entire life, even though I will always be around it. There's just times where I can't bear to spend hour after after watching programming that isn't all that good. Then there will be a big angle like the Shield, or the ascent of Daniel Bryan and I will be hooked again. I currently look forward to seeing the next big thing, I think it may happen with the influx of new guys recently. THey just need to find that magic formula and run with it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #5091
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003 View Post
The network, combined with Grantland articles about WWE have gotten me back on the bandwagon. The most recent big NXT show was outstanding, as was Wrestlemania and the MITB match last night.

Will be keeping my subscription, provided the price point remains the same.

This. To a T. I haven't watched wrestling since the botched Invasion. David Shoemaker's (aka The Masked Man) articles on Grantland got me interested again and since then I've got the Network and started watching Raw semi-regularly. I love the Legends of Wrestling round table, the NXT big events and the PPV's. I'm hoping for the addition of Saturday Night's Main Event and would also like some Mid-South. At the current price point, I think it's worth it.

As an aside, for those that like Shoemaker, be sure to check out his book and Cheap Heat podcast.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #5092
RainMaker
General Manager

If you cancel and re-sign up, do you have to make a 6-month commitment again? Like I wouldn't mind cancelling after Summerslam and signing back up before the Rumble.

I still really love the idea of the Network. I would have killed for this 10 years ago when I was more into it.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #5093
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Oops...

WWE Diva Emma FIRED For Stealing iPad Case

I actually like her
Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #5094
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

and Emma just got rehired. yes she was unemployed by wwe for less than half a day
Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #5095
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

They probably accepted the fact that they had a freebie for a story line.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #5096
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

WWE Shop: Sting

Last edited by Matthean : 07-14-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #5097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Happy for Sting (since presumably he's happy with whatever agreement they've reached) but it sort of begs a question to me: who does this sell pre-orders to, me?

I have a tough time thinking it does much at all to entice anyone (okay, aside from a fractional percentage of fans) under the age of 35 or maybe even 40.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #5098
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I have to think Seth Rollins got legit hurt. Either that or these guys are way better actors than I thought. Assuming injury, wonder what they do for the upcoming Battleground PPV.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #5099
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Happy for Sting (since presumably he's happy with whatever agreement they've reached) but it sort of begs a question to me: who does this sell pre-orders to, me?

I have a tough time thinking it does much at all to entice anyone (okay, aside from a fractional percentage of fans) under the age of 35 or maybe even 40.

Over half of WWE's audience is over 35 IIRC.

Or heck, here's a link:

WWE News: Breakdown of Ages of WWE Audience Illustrates Interesting Trend | Bleacher Report
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #5100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Over half of WWE's audience is over 35 IIRC.

Oh absolutely.

But are many of us (okay, I'm 47, definitely "over 35") buying games that are typically a morass of button stabbing? I'm just not seeing it.