Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dinosaurs

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...ctive-feature/

This is a good article about advances in our knowledge about dinosaurs. It includes some cool animations of dinosaurs.

Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anybody watch Dino Hunters on Discovery? Pretty interesting series (1st season was short, about 6 episodes) following 3-4 groups of ranchers in Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming who are essentially trying to supplement their lack of farming income by locating and selling dinosaur fossils on their land. Several of them have made some historic finds in the past and one of them appears to have uncovered a nice find during these episodes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

Not the mama?
Old 09-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Are kids into dinosaurs like they used to be? I remember in the 80s there were at least 2 kids in every class who were absolutely nuts about them. I think maybe there was some new discoveries around then that had grade school teachers pushing them as a a thing. Kind of like how when the Titanic was found in 1985, it suddenly became a huge school thing that we would spend a ton of time learning about.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Not the mama?

I skipped into this thread, skipped back out, but my eye caught this on the way out
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
whomario
Pro Starter

Awesome article !

I actually read a decent chunk of books and articles recently on this. Two especially recommended:

David Hone - The Tyrannosaur Chronicles (basically an overview on scholarship/science of the various Tyrannosaur species. Also a brilliant speaker: How the Tyrannosaurs Ruled the World – with David Hone - YouTube )

Steve Brusatte - The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs (doing a great job transporting the fascination of discovery and showcasing how scientific views have changed quite fundamentally over the last 20-30 year. Kinda like the article above)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Awesome article !

I actually read a decent chunk of books and articles recently on this. Two especially recommended:

David Hone - The Tyrannosaur Chronicles (basically an overview on scholarship/science of the various Tyrannosaur species. Also a brilliant speaker: How the Tyrannosaurs Ruled the World – with David Hone - YouTube )

Steve Brusatte - The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs (doing a great job transporting the fascination of discovery and showcasing how scientific views have changed quite fundamentally over the last 20-30 year. Kinda like the article above)

I will definitely check that stuff out. I am a dino nut.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...dilophosaurus/
Old 10-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Are kids into dinosaurs like they used to be? I remember in the 80s there were at least 2 kids in every class who were absolutely nuts about them. I think maybe there was some new discoveries around then that had grade school teachers pushing them as a a thing. Kind of like how when the Titanic was found in 1985, it suddenly became a huge school thing that we would spend a ton of time learning about.

My kid seems to like them a lot but he's also influenced by his parents. We also have one of the best dinosaur exhibits in the US in Houston so that helps a lot. Honestly, anyone who doesn't have HMNS ranked in their top 10 museums for dinosaurs after the renovation just hasn't been

Allosaurus Roar’s Top Twenty-Five North American Dinosaur Museums | Allosaurus Roar

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's nice that I work within a half mile of #12, the Yale Peabody Museum. Well, at least I do when there isn't a pandemic going on.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like I've been to 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, and 13

SI

Old 01-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #13
whomario
Pro Starter

For any Podcast people here a recommendation:

Terrible Lizards

Mainly one Scientiest (David Hone) and Presenter (Iszi Lawrence) , some other guests for short segments. Covering a vast of different topics, Sometimes a certain dinosaur, sometimes certain behaviours. Hone is a great communicator and Lawrence does a great job butting in when he gets too technical.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 01-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Awesome article !

Why Dinosaurs Would Have Ruled the Earth Featuring Dr. Steve Brusatte - YouTube

Podcast interview with Steve Brusatte.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Genndy Tartokovsky (creator of Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls) has a new show on Adult Swim called Primal.

It's AWESOME!!!!!!!
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I glossed over this name, and thought it said "Featuring Dr Steve Buscemi."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:14 AM   #17
whomario
Pro Starter

Quick FYI: The new BBC/Apple Series "Prehistoric Planet" (only streaming on Apple for now) is utterly jawdropping, just amazing CGI and actually featuring a ton of newer scientific knowledge as well. Of course some of it is speculation to a degree (nature of the beast here) but still.

Basically Planet Earth with Dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters. Including narration by David Attenborough
Old 05-25-2022, 07:42 AM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Anybody watch Dino Hunters on Discovery? Pretty interesting series (1st season was short, about 6 episodes) following 3-4 groups of ranchers in Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming who are essentially trying to supplement their lack of farming income by locating and selling dinosaur fossils on their land. Several of them have made some historic finds in the past and one of them appears to have uncovered a nice find during these episodes.

I'll put another plug in for this show. It's usually 6 or 7 episodes a season and they have done 2 seasons so far. We recorded it last fall and watched it a couple of months ago. Interesting stuff, one group is working on a potentially major triceratops or torosaurus that they partially unearthed but had to cover for the winter and presumably will begin digging again now (and hopefully show on a third season later this year).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

HEY! I found a rock. It looks like a human femur but really big. I bet I can manufacture an amazing creature from millions of years ago.

HAHAHAHAHA

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #20
Ksyrup

...that will sell for thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #21
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
...that will sell for thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

They found ancient fossil NFTs!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-25-2022, 08:56 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Quick FYI: The new BBC/Apple Series "Prehistoric Planet" (only streaming on Apple for now) is utterly jawdropping, just amazing CGI and actually featuring a ton of newer scientific knowledge as well. Of course some of it is speculation to a degree (nature of the beast here) but still.

Basically Planet Earth with Dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters. Including narration by David Attenborough

This sounds great. Will definitely check it out!
Old 05-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

This has been incredible. Great recommendation.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #24
whomario
Pro Starter

These are great:

WONDER Artistic Models – Wonder Artistic Models

Old 09-09-2022, 01:22 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What was it exactly that sexual Harris meant?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What was it exactly that sexual Harris meant?

Steve Rogers: I understood that reference!

SI

Old 04-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #27
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Season 2 starts May 22nd
Old 04-24-2023, 12:01 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looking forward to it!
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #29
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Dang. When I saw this I thought it was a thread about people that still use Firefox.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:27 AM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Dang. When I saw this I thought it was a thread about people that still use Firefox.

I feel seen.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote