Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #2501
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: If he stays at Michigan, then it feels like he will have made the decision to stay there for as long as they will have him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #2502
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And alumni or not, even with the OSU thing off his back and a playoff appearance, he seems like the kind of guy who can wear out his welcome fairly quickly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #2503
tarcone
Coordinator

Not sure if you guys heard this one or not, KF has disbanded the diversity committee he put together after the racism stuff from a couple years ago. The head of the committee said that it was time for KF and AD Barta to retire. Right after that comment, KF got his contract extension.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:25 PM   #2504
Swaggs
Coordinator

I read about that at Iowa. I'm not sure who set up the committee, but giving the head coach the capacity to disband it makes no sense to me. Is anyone shocked that he disbanded it if they recommended he be replaced? Pretty poor optics by whoever made the arrangement.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:28 PM   #2505
Swaggs
Coordinator

From what I read about Harbaugh, they cut his salary in half last year. I assume he could have said no, but didn't. So, is it that he felt they didn't have faith in him (given a take it or leave it cut in salary, after leaving an NFL job for his alma mater) and he went out and had an excellent season, so he's now in position to send a major FU to whoever in the department he feels wronged him?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:17 PM   #2506
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I read about that at Iowa. I'm not sure who set up the committee, but giving the head coach the capacity to disband it makes no sense to me. Is anyone shocked that he disbanded it if they recommended he be replaced? Pretty poor optics by whoever made the arrangement.

Kirk Ferentz owns the big boosters, so he runs the athletic department. Shoot, he gave a schollie to the nephew of the biggest booster to punt at Iowa and the dude was garbage.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:11 PM   #2507
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just because he has been of some interest on FOFC.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #2508
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There seems to be a lot of smoke around Caleb Williams and Wisconsin.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #2509
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There seems to be a lot of smoke around Caleb Williams and Wisconsin.

Yeah, sounds like Chryst is going to bring in Bobby Engram as OC, who has a son on the team that went to high school with Williams.

Not getting my hopes up too much but it is plausible. What I expect is that Williams won’t come to Madison. Then Graham Mertz will transfer because he’s angry and then Chryst will have to get Danny Vanden Boom back for a 6th year.

(The last part is a joke only Badger fans will understand)
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #2510
GrantDawg

Harbaugh interviewing with the Vikings.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #2511
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

No surprise, but Caleb Williams officially to USC now. Snoop Dogg raps his arrival.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #2512
Ksyrup

What the bloody hell? Glad it was worth it!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-02-2022, 07:12 PM   #2513
miami_fan
Coordinator

So who had Jimbo Fisher being pissed at "Sliced Bread" on your National Signing Day bingo card?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-02-2022, 07:20 PM   #2514
HerRealName
College Prospect

Weird Harbaugh is staying at Michigan, apparently until he is fired now. I'm very happy about this and look forward to 11/26.

It is rumored that Bill O'Brien was headed to Ann Arbor. I think he would have been a good hire so I'm doubly happy Harbaugh is staying.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #2515
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Harbaugh will be at Michigan until an NFL team wants him.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #2516
GrantDawg

Old 02-03-2022, 07:18 AM   #2517
GrantDawg

Old 02-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #2518
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The sooner they get rid of the NIL middleman and let schools/boosters just pay players directly the better.

Right now, it is like the worst of all worlds.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:06 AM   #2519
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yep. Stand by my idea of compensating players however you want, with a scholarship as the minimum salary, so to speak.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #2520
JPhillips
General Manager

I'd only favor schools paying directly if athletic departments were also forced to balance the books independent of fees and general fund subsidies. Public schools shouldn't be paying the athletes by charging students more.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #2521
BishopMVP
Coordinator

An Ole Miss coach/Lane Kiffin being the whistleblower on college football recruiting would be a Jose Canseco/Juiced moment and I am here for it haha
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #2522
Ksyrup

I can't tell if Kiffin is (relatively) above board or just supremely courageous/stupid, but he also took a direct shot at Hugh Freeze while he (Kiffin) was at Ole Miss, too. Maybe this is an extension of the political "accuse the other guy of what you're doing" thing. I just can't tell with him.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-03-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #2523
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I can't tell if Kiffin is (relatively) above board or just supremely courageous/stupid, but he also took a direct shot at Hugh Freeze while he (Kiffin) was at Ole Miss, too. Maybe this is an extension of the political "accuse the other guy of what you're doing" thing. I just can't tell with him.

What would be below board as far as college football rules in today's environment?

Other than the academic fraud and that the schools can't pay the players. It feels like everything else is fair game. Even if Jimbo knows the history, does anyone actually care at this point that the star wide receiver as random SEC school got paid $100,000 three years before NIL?

Last edited by miami_fan : 02-03-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #2524
miami_fan
Coordinator

I also think Kiffin does not feel the need to act like this stuff did not already go on. I would not be surprise if he admits to being the bag man for his head coach a few years down the line.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #2525
Ksyrup

Teams are still suffering penalties for recruiting violations - loss of scholarships, etc. He's been a head coach for a while, so surely there are things he's done/sanctioned that were illegal when they occurred. Not just what's going on recently while NIL was allowed.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #2526
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Teams are still suffering penalties for recruiting violations - loss of scholarships, etc. He's been a head coach for a while, so surely there are things he's done/sanctioned that were illegal when they occurred. Not just what's going on recently while NIL was allowed.

I guess I am wondering how long schools are going to go along with the facade of the NCAA recruiting rules mattering in POWER 5 football now that NIL is here.

Also we are talking about Lane Kiffin. Nothing he does or does not say now is going to stop someone from spilling the beans on him. I would be surprised if there were any beans left to spill TBH.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #2527
Ksyrup

I guess that's what I'm saying. Kiffin of all people has to have a target on his back, so his constant trolling of opponents seems foolish.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:03 PM   #2528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a story I thought some B12 people might find trivially interesting

Paul Rhoads, former Auburn DC, replaces Brian VanGorder on HS coaching staff
Old 02-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #2529
Ksyrup

Appears to be a snowballing effect on Bryan Harsin at Auburn. Not sure if he'll be replaced this late (or early really) in the season, or if they can given he's only coached one year, but he's getting a ton of negative press right now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-04-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: 5
Old 02-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #2530
Ksyrup

On a completely unrelated note, I've been pretty impressed with Mark Stoops' ability to pull NFL guys to join his UK staff. Liam Coen as OC was a great move, and now it appears he's going to replace the OL coach who left for Alabama with a guy from the 49ers.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #2531
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Appears to be a snowballing effect on Bryan Harsin at Auburn. Not sure if he'll be replaced this late (or early really) in the season, or if they can given he's only coached one year, but he's getting a ton of negative press right now.

from Sept 25, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Given how poorly Harsin reacted to a question about his plan for making a QB decision for next week, I suspect he's going to be a short term stay at Auburn. He looks like he's considerably out of his depth at knowing how to handle that aspect of the job and if the lack of preparation shown today is an indication, maybe not the only part.

Ask Jim Donnan how being a prick affects your job security, especially when you aren't winning much.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #2532
Ksyrup

The second O'Donnell was hired by Minnesota the rumors started that Liam Coen would leave UK to be OC for the Rams and that's what happened. Sucks for UK that they only had him 1 year. I have to figure Stoops either goes with someone very young or very old to try to keep someone in the position for several years for consistency. Maybe he pulls another underling NFL assistant, as he's had great luck doing it so far.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #2533
Ksyrup

Stoops replaces Liam Coen with another McVay/Shanahan guy, this time 49ers QB coach Rich Scangarello. Stoops is getting pretty good at this.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #2534
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa gives the QB coach title to Brian Ferentz.

Yay

Old 03-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #2535
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

"NIL agents"? Perhaps he's looking to pick up endorsements from Bail Bonds Services.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #2536
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yesterday, I learned that going to a spring game when you are not an alumnus or fan of the school that is playing is not for me.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #2537
Ksyrup

I had not heard that Gene Deckerhoff announced his retirement from announcing FSU athletics until I happened upon the spring game yesterday afternoon. He is an absolute FSU legend but this is the right call. The last few years, I've noticed him really struggle to keep up with both football and basketball games. Kudos to him for knowing it's time (I assume he wasn't forced out).
Old 05-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #2538
miami_fan
Coordinator

Task force to big-money boosters: NIL sanctions could be coming - Sports Illustrated
Old 05-03-2022, 08:58 PM   #2539
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, ain't gonna happen.

People wanted the wild west, they have it. The genie ain't going back in the bottle, the courts won't allow it.

I still hope to see the NCAA simply disband and leave the various entities that destroyed college athletics sort it out for themselves.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:53 PM   #2540
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I did see two transfer periods may be incoming, and that makes a fair amount of sense.

Also saw coaches were pushing against the 25 scholarship limit in a year - I could see going to 30 there? But if you pull that off completely and make it unlimited you really do open it up for bringing in a full starting roster or an all star team.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:59 AM   #2541
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I did see two transfer periods may be incoming, and that makes a fair amount of sense.

Also saw coaches were pushing against the 25 scholarship limit in a year - I could see going to 30 there? But if you pull that off completely and make it unlimited you really do open it up for bringing in a full starting roster or an all star team.

The concern behind that notion, apparently, is the opposite - that teams that are portal ravaged might be working with significantly underfilled rosters.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:28 AM   #2542
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I had not heard that Gene Deckerhoff announced his retirement from announcing FSU athletics until I happened upon the spring game yesterday afternoon. He is an absolute FSU legend but this is the right call. The last few years, I've noticed him really struggle to keep up with both football and basketball games. Kudos to him for knowing it's time (I assume he wasn't forced out).

He is going to continue doing the Bucs radio broadcast at least for this season. That is an insane schedule even with (I assume) access to private jets and the like.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:26 AM   #2543
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Quote:
The concern behind that notion, apparently, is the opposite - that teams that are portal ravaged might be working with significantly underfilled rosters.

This was the first thought I has as well, expanding to more than 25 a year, as long as you don't exceed the 85 total schollie limit, would allow teams to make up for excessive transfers.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #2544
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, ain't gonna happen.

People wanted the wild west, they have it. The genie ain't going back in the bottle, the courts won't allow it.

I still hope to see the NCAA simply disband and leave the various entities that destroyed college athletics sort it out for themselves.

Good point and its kinda where I am right now.

Very depressing knowing the shit show that is coming. Its only going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately. Sad that my kids wont get to enjoy/experience the same wonderful sport that I did. Yeah, it had its warts but this current path is easily unsustainable at best. Fucking poor at worst.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:01 AM   #2545
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought we did not want Congress sticking its beak in sports?

SEC, Pac-12 commissioners to visit Washington in pursuit of help with NIL policies
Old 05-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #2546
Atocep
Coordinator

JUCO Transfer QB General Booty Commits to Oklahoma | Sports Illustrated

Yes, John David and Josh are his uncles.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:59 PM   #2547
cuervo72
Head Coach

"General?" TF with these names, man.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #2548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"General?" TF with these names, man.

He is the son of former LSU receiver Abram Booty who, according to General in a 2020 interview, came up with the QB’s name based on his fascination with the military.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #2549
Ksyrup

I would have gone with Major.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #2550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would have gone with Major.

My actual wisecrack yesterday was that I'm just glad he got promoted, cause being Major Booty had to suck