Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

What position did we play???

I was a DT. #62
Played 1 season semi-pro.
Mostly on special teams until my knee gave out.
Before that, I was awful...

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 01-13-2004 at 09:13 PM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

RB/S

High school

I had a good combination of size and speed, but I had trouble holding onto the ball. I was better at defense.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

TE/WR - OLB #2
Three year letterman in high school - we were 33-6 in those three years with one state championship.
All Region TE & DB -- (technically I was listed as a DB, but I played a "coverage OLB" role in our scheme)
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've never played gridiron, but I was thinking about signing up. I live in Australia, but we have a league that is apparently quite competitive, and the local team plays 10 mins from my house. They have signs up asking for players. I'm 6'1 and pretty quick, with a medium build, so not sure what position I'd be thrown in to. OLB sounds like the kind of role I'd enjoy playing.

My main sport was basketball. I played SG for my high school team, finishing 3rd in the state one season. I never took many shots out side of 15 feet, but I could get to the hoop, and took great pride in my D.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

DE/OT

Was about the same on both sides of the ball. As a good OL does, I held on every single play. I don't remember ever getting a flag for it either.

I was a decent player, but being the geek I was I spent my after school time reading up on programming and playing Wolf3D and DOOM instead of being in the weight room.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Never played. Only sport I was ever halfway decent in was soccer. There, I played fullback for the most part.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Starting LT, despite my very small stature. 5'10, about 190. I had lost a lot of weight the preceding two years, and got a well earned starting spot my senior season. I let up 1 sack all season. I really couldn't have played if my technique wasn't excellent, and if I didn't know all the o-line assignments inside and out. I would frequently have to tell other guys their assignments in the huddle after the play was called.

For the pure fun factor, I found JV the previous 2 years a lot more fun. I also played DT those two seasons. My senior year though, I was one of only 2 guys who didn't play both ways... I just did not have the size or brute strength for DT.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:27 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I was second string patriotic underwear guy. Never had to go in.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Basketball: Center, Power Forward, Small Forward, and Shooting Guard. Most of the time I played in the post, but I also had a pretty decent outside shot. I played point guard for about ten minutes one game. It wasn't a pretty sight...

Baseball: Primarily second base, third base, and right field. I pitched one year and did pretty well, but it wasn't something that carried over when I moved up in age class.

Football: Never played ( ), but I bet I would have made a bad ass linebacker or tight end...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #10
Vikings13
n00b

Free Safety/Corner... Our corners played zone in the flats, so I preferred FS... Then I could come up and make a hit.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I play cornerback/athlete, I played JV my freshman year moved up at the end of the season got some playing time. This year I would have to say I am very injury-prone as I got hurt early in the season but didnt know how serious it was till I went to the doctor. So anyway I'll go by my JV year and i think it would be safe to say that I was a baller (but everyone plays good in JV).
Old 01-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #12
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

WR/CB

All-state wide reciever honorable mention
I also got all-state special teams player (i think 3 or 4 touchdowns on special teams, can't remember, I'll have to watch my highlight tape )

I also play baseball. Played 2nd base for all my years in high school, then going into college I had no shot(or so I thought then) at beating out the 2nd baseman, so I went into the first day of practice as a Centerfielder(never played it before), and ended up being our starting CF. Second year in progress right now.

Played basketball too, as a starter(2 years, I played my sophomore year, but we weren't so hot, prolly like 14-8 or something) we lost a total of 4 games, including playoffs. Never made it to state, we always found a way to lose on our way to state.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:00 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Oh, and BTW, if anyone ever wanted to see my getting faked out by a girl in basketball.... http://goosejuice.com/bball/Img_8196.jpg

It was during a lunchtime mixed league. The main annoyance was that guys weren't allowed to shoot inside the key, so on fast breaks you had to 'air jordan' your way from outside the key to lay it in.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #14
FBPro
College Starter

DB/WR one season, CF/RF Baseball.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
Groundhog
Coordinator

With regards to high school/college football, I imagine it would be difficult to find the amount of players neccessary to have entirely seperate offensive and defensive units, so is it common that players would play for both?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:21 PM   #16
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

lmao.. look at your ass trying to block a girl! how dare you.. don't you know you let the girls shoot, since they'll miss anyways.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #17
Easy Mac

No football.

Soccer: Forward (6th grade - sophomore year HS), Midfield (Junior), Central Defense (Senior)
Baseball: CF, 1b, Pitcher (Freshman year, then quit for soccer)
Basketball: PG (freshman year)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
lmao.. look at your ass trying to block a girl! how dare you.. don't you know you let the girls shoot, since they'll miss anyways.

But just look at her stance, a near perfect triple-threat position... you just know she's going to sink that!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:35 PM   #19
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I played 7 games in HS at DE and 3 at at OL (turned out for the first time as a senior, but broke my leg in a search and rescue a few weeks prior to the start of the season). I was selected as an all-state DE. In college I moved to Offensive Tackle.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 PM   #20
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

no football for me unless you count pop warner where I blocked a punt without knowing it I drove the center straight back into the punter who drilled the kick into the center's back lol.

played midfield in lacrosse hs/college. got my 1 Division I goal on my 1st shot so TECHNICALLY I led the nation in shooting percantage... for a week We were #1 in the state my senior year of HS playing #2 West Genny, down 3 at the half since our goalie (who started 4 years at Georgetown) got his wrist broken before the half on a cheap shot. We woulda went all the way... Lost by 3 ended up with 3 total losses on the season including in the sectional semi's due to having our backup in and no O that game. Still had 2nd best record in school history tho.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 PM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
With regards to high school/college football, I imagine it would be difficult to find the amount of players neccessary to have entirely seperate offensive and defensive units, so is it common that players would play for both?

it's very, very common in highschool.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:41 PM   #22
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1

He wasn't trying to block the shot, just get a look down her shirt!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:47 PM   #23
mckerney
Coordinator

CB/WR for the first 3 years, then I was moved to Nose Guard for my senior year. Could suck being a small defensive lineman in Western Wisconsin where you have to go against guys weighing around 300+ at times, but I got my shots in.

Played a post type position in intramural basketball, mainly being in the middle around the basket in our 2-3 zone.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:54 PM   #24
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
CB/WR for the first 3 years, then I was moved to Nose Guard for my senior year. Could suck being a small defensive lineman in Western Wisconsin where you have to go against guys weighing around 300+ at times, but I got my shots in.

Played a post type position in intramural basketball, mainly being in the middle around the basket in our 2-3 zone.

What is you height and weight?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #25
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Was a striker in soccer - kind of a pesky player who'd get the garbage goals. I did develop a little bit more skill as I gained more experience, though.

In hockey, I was pretty unique - I'm really small (5-6, 145), but I played a Power Forward-esque game. I'd drive to the net hard, and clean up the scraps in front. I also was known to play as a puck-rushing defensemen sometimes. Kind of a weird contrast.

In basketball (I play a semi-serious weekly pickup game), I'm just a scrapper. I'm pretty good defensively, despite my size, and crash the boards alright. If I'm matched up with someone just a little bit bigger than me, I usually excel, since they don't really have any athletic ability. I can shut them down defensively (you might not notice it, but I'll always have a hand in their face or something), and will kill them on the glass. If I'm on a weak offensive player, I will just clean up on the boards much more than you'd imagine for someone my size. I need to work on my help-defense, though. Offensively, I'm a slasher more than a shooter, but most of my baskets will come on offensive putbacks and steal+layup combos. Occasionally I'll take a step in from the 3-point line and hit a 16-footer, but I'm very selective in shooting jumpers.

~kyle
Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #26
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

never played football in my young times, until I heard of a senior league starting up. That was three years ago.

I played the first two season of the league as a DE (#70), until I hurt my knee and decided I was getting too old for football I wasn't very, very good, but I was learning little things at every practice and I practiced twice a week in front of the best/biggest offensive line in our league, our team's... Kinda sad I didn't get to play a third season since in my last few practices before my injury, I had the feeling I was getting a good hang of it and was putting in some nice moves on some of the slower OTs in the league

Nobody forced me to stop but I had way too much stuff to take care of, including a house, a family and all that comes with it, and couldn't afford to be on crutches for a few months because of a hobby...

FM
Old 01-13-2004, 10:00 PM   #27
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Very skinny kid in HS, and never played organized football until intramural flag in college, where I was 2-year starting QB for intramural team. We were champs my Junior year, and runners-up my Senior year.

Basketball: PG/SG, 3-year letterman
Track: high jump (ergo--"SkyDog"), 2-year letterman
Football: announcer, 3-year letterman (yeah, for announcing )

(I also ran cross country 2 years, because new b-ball coach came my Jr. year and basically forced all ball players to do a fall sport to keep in shape. We didn't have a cross country team before he came and started one just to run us in the fall. The highlight of my cross-country "career" was when we were soundly beaten in a meet by our arch-rival school--a team who we had destroyed in football and basketball in every season in recent memory. They were whoopin' it up after the meet like they'd just won the freakin' Super Bowl--after a CROSS COUNTRY MEET! Our team got together and starting chanting: "Get a life, get a clue, cross country only matters to fags like you!"

Our coach, while he reprimanded us publicly, told us later that he was actually proud of us for keeping the main thing the main thing. )

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-13-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #28
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Wonder which one of you played tightend in Green Bay? Or was the packer of tightends?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:02 PM   #29
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I played one season of high school football, and two years of intramural football in college. I was a CB/benchwarmer.

On a side note, I'd be afraid of anyone who says they were a male cheerleader...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
What is you height and weight?

5'11" and at the time I was anywhere between 175-185.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-13-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #31
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
On a side note, I'd be afraid of anyone who says they were a male cheerleader...

Me too, especially if they lived in a big white house.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #32
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Dude they put you at nose guard I would have been hella pissed. I get mad when I'm asked to play safety, if asked to play the line I might transfer schools. I'm 5'10 barely past a buck 50 they'll hurt me.

J/K
Old 01-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #33
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Football - Starting QB soph & senior years, backup CB

Baseball - 3B

I'm 5'11 and 165 lbs.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Dude they put you at nose guard I would have been hella pissed. I get mad when I'm asked to play safety, if asked to play the line I might transfer schools. I'm 5'10 barely past a buck 50 they'll hurt me.

J/K

It was tough and at times I was pushed around, though I was usually strong enough. I was kind of out of position due to both my size and being faster than most of our defensive backs were. Playing defensive line can definitely be some fun though.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:27 PM   #35
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

I played CB in high school. I was small and scrawny, so hitting wasn't my forte. However, i had a nose for the ball, and had 7 picks my senior year, 1 for an 89 yard TD. In FOF terms, i guess you could say i had a high intelligence rating, and pretty high in INT's and Play Diag., but punishing hitter would have been a 0. I also returned punts and had pretty good hands, but i was slow.

Reading this thread makes me want to get out my old Springsteen tape and play "Glory Days".
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #36
JeffNights
College Prospect

Played 3 years varsity at LT and DT
Two First Team all-Leagues
Two First Team all-Conference
One all-State honorable mention
One Second Team all-State honor

Wrestling best year was senior took home second place at 215 pounds.
Preceding year took home 5th.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #37
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog

At most High Schools players play both ways, at my High School there were maybe 3 or 4 guys that didn't play both ways, not because there weren't enough people that went out, but because we weren't very deep. Rarely do players play both ways in College
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:44 PM   #38
Tasan
College Starter

Nothing but a 1b and rf in baseball here, and not much of that either. My family moved too much for me to get into a place good.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #39
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm a lover not a fighter.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #40
Craptacular
College Starter

I played golf.

And I'm still a pretty mean slow-pitch softball pitcher.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:03 PM   #41
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I'm currently a sophomore that plays football, basketball, and baseball at my high school. I am very small. I am 6'0" and weigh only 160 lbs. I am trying to put on some weight, but it has been tough.

I lettered in baseball last spring as a freshmen. I played OF, but this year I will most likely be making the move to 3rd base.

This fall I started every game for our football team. I started at CB and was the backup QB. I will be playing WR next year because we are losing 3 wideouts.

Currently I am starting on our varsity basketball team. I am averaging around 8 points and 6 rebounds. Not too bad, but I never shoot the ball. heh. If nothing goes wrong injury wise or other, I should earn 10 varsity letters.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #42
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I played QB, but I was never very good. Never made it off of the JV team.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:46 PM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Didn't play a lick of school football, although I still can Catch The Ball like a mofo.

And now for the Sick Mental Image Of the Day! Yours truly was a swimmer in high school (and a damned good one at that).
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #44
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The words to describe me as a ballplayer would be unathletic, smart, scrappy and dirty

Played CB for football...in 7th & 8th Grade, and was about 5th string, then quit for soccer in HS.
Played Forward/Outside Mid/GK for soccer. Finshed 2nd on the team in scoring my JR year, with the nickname "Trashman" because almost all my goals came off rebounds or loose balls in front of the net.
Played Wing/Defense for Hockey, mainly D later on.
Played Attack for lacrosse, easily my best sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
We were #1 in the state my senior year of HS playing #2 West Genny, down 3 at the half since our goalie (who started 4 years at Georgetown) got his wrist broken before the half on a cheap shot. We woulda went all the way... Lost by 3 ended up with 3 total losses on the season including in the sectional semi's due to having our backup in and no O that game. Still had 2nd best record in school history tho.

My HS was amazing a few years ago (had 11 players go to college off the '98 team that was undefeated and state champions, including 3 D1) and then had a few off years, including a 3 win season my junior year (partly because based on past success we were always scheduled against schools 2-3 times bigger than us) and then for senior year, we worked as hard as any team I've ever been a part of. Basically all the seniors and a solid amount of underclassmen would practice together 2-3 times a week from the end of my JR year until the beginning of the year. We stepped it up and in the state tournament it was us and Needham, and it was fairly obvious that the winner would win the state title. Then the fucking prom was the night the game was scheduled for, so they rescheduled the game for the next day. I did everything I could to convince the coaches to move the game, but they didn't and despite the best efforts of a few of the players, it was obvious as soon as we got in the locker room it was a losing battle. Anyway we ended up getting our asses handed to us 15-3, and Needham went on and won the state title. We may not have been able to beat them 100%, but walking off the field, it was easily the worst feeling I ever felt (other than family matters).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #45
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Didn't play a lick of school football, although I still can Catch The Ball like a mofo.

And now for the Sick Mental Image Of the Day! Yours truly was a swimmer in high school (and a damned good one at that).

Were you one of those wack jobs who shaved his entire body?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:58 AM   #46
3ric
College Starter

Soccer: AM/F LRC (as how CM list the positions)
Football: WR/CB (as you may or may not know, I played competitive games in an organized senior league for 6-7 years in Sweden, similarly to FrogMan. The difference is that I quit when I was 27.)
Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 AM   #47
Super Ugly
High School JV

Played a lot of football/soccer and basketball in school, but I never had much talent for them (I am, however, qualified to referee in any under-18 basketball game in Europe, which is ... different). I showed some skill at rugby, but nobody ever bothered to explain the rules to me. It was like Forrest Gump, with 16-going-on 25 year olds chasing me down the field. It's amazing how fast you can run under those circumstances. The same principle applies in my senior football/football league, where I play RB, only it feels like I get to run into a brick wall at the end of it.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #48
Samdari
Roster Filler

Swam freestyle and backstroke in HS. Fall was for getting in shape for swimming, not for football.

Golfed in the spring. It was cool, as a team member, I golfed for free every afternoon, but had little interest in being on the team, so I ignored the coach.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #49
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

DE/OLB

5'8" - 155 lbs. Academic All-State, All-Conference, All-County, Defensive Captain.

Played in high school only. Too tired to play in college (D3). I'm going in for my third joint operation this afternoon.

Memo to file - all DE/OLB should weigh more 155 lbs.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #50
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Defensive line/Tailback in high school. 6-man football. All-Region, 2nd team All-State for 2 years.

3 years in college at TCU. Fullback, tight end and defensive tackle. Blew out my achilles heel my junior year.

Played semi-pro for 4 years afterwards and for our fireman's team still.

Tried out for the Dallas Desparados for the hell of it.

6'5 230 in highschool went up to 285 in college, 265 now.