Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #1051
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Wow - 22 pages.

Godwin be damned.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 02-23-2006 at 07:18 AM. Reason: my post made it 22 pages - tee hee
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #1052
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

http://www.wintervalley.com/cfl_99/

enjoy
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #1053
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel

damn you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFL99 webpage
CFL Football '99 is sold out. At this time we are no longer accepting orders for this product.

Thank you to all that purchased this game in the past.

FM
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #1054
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is nice.

Quote:
CFL Football '99 is quality product of
Wintervalley Software.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #1055
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
This is nice.

I thought you were joking until I went to the link.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #1056
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

This chick has issues.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #1057
Butter
Coordinator

SkyDog, you're walking the fine line of doom that LoneStarGirl had the nerve to walk last week ("it's just a message board" talk). You better watch out! JIMGA will hunt you down!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #1058
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winter
Option plays will be back because they're needed for Canadian rules as well as the US college game. I just felt that it was better to remove something that was an AI buster than to leave it in. It's high on my to do list for the first update.

I just don't see how something this fundamental can be put in in an update. This quote, combined with the "gold master" discussion, has me thinking that the powers that be just don't understand how to complete a project and put it out there. There seems to be this sense that "we can always fix/improve that later," which is death to large, complex projects.

When I worked at a large law firm and worked on complex collaborative projects, one of the first things I was taught was the sacredness of hard deadlines. As long as you think that "we'll be able to get to that later," you didn't do it well. You need to look at the time you have available, decide what can be done well in that time, and do it.

The fact that Matrix Games does not seem to get this has me change my guess of release date from last Wednesday to "Never . . . or if it does get released, it will be so buggy that people are given refunds, and the code is just made freesource for hobbyists and the like"

I am watching to see how Matrix Games deals with this. It will be nice to know when I am deciding what games to buy in the future.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #1059
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Yep. Or more accurately, a double reverse.

How the AI can deal with a double reverse, but not an option play is quite intriguing.
Double handoffs may or may not be a double reverse. If the QB drops back, hands off, and the ball carrier hands off, that's a single reverse. If the QB rolls out, hands off going the other way, and the ball carrier hands off heading back in the original direction, that's a double reverse.

Don't you read TMQ?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #1060
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what about the shovel pass? they work that one in there?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #1061
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Don't you read TMQ?

Only if there is not a new Skip Bayless column to read...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #1062
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
This chick has issues.

Yep, she seems to be making things worse. If I were Matrix, I'd probably tell her and David to concentrate on the release and bugs while Erik handled the forum, questions, and PR. So far, Erik seems like the only one who's acting professional.

I kinda feel sorry for Matrix. I don't think they knew what they were getting into with bringing this title on and now if it's as bad as I suspect, it could actually hurt other future sales.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #1063
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
and now if it's as bad as I suspect, it could actually hurt other future sales.

Heck, yes. I, for one, am paying attention to the manner in which they run their forum, the game on which they are putting their name, and the way in which they will handle customer support for the game.

If they do well, then I trust their name. If they do poorly, then I don't. Simple. To many other things on which to spend money to deal with bad companies.

Of course, my opinion of Georgia Tech is also dependent on how good Maximum Football is since they have apparently licensed the yellow jacket logo for the game.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #1064
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
So far, Erik seems like the only one who's acting professional.

Yep. He's handled things reasonably well so far.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #1065
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
There seems to be this sense that "we can always fix/improve that later," which is death to large, complex projects.
This whole things reeks of amateurism...but ordinarily that would be fine since this is an one man/family operation. When it comes to indy developers, the consumer always has to realize the circumstances surrounding development when it comes to managing expectations, but even if you give Winter the benefit of the doubt about a lot of things, his personality tears down any leeway I would normally give to this type of product. If you want to cultivate the indy spirit and try to influence sales, you don't crap all over suggestions that potential customers may have. You don't target other developers and try to tear down the work they have done in order to make yourself look better. You don't lie to your customer base or leave their questions unanswered. You don't continually commit to dates and fail to make those dates without any more than a vague comment regarding the reasons.

If this guy would have approached the whole thing with a "I'm just a normal guy trying to create something that would be fun" type of attitude, he would have more people willing to give this a try. You know, maybe a "Hey that's a good idea, but may be too complex right now" attitude instead of a "Well, if that's what you want, you're not going to like this game" dismissive comment.

I feel for the guy, really I do. The challenge he made for himself was a big one and he should be feeling good about seeing it almost to completion. But the way he's went about things has probably made this a nightmare instead of accomplishment.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #1066
KWhit
Coordinator

Awwwww!

And now Erik just locked the thread before she could go all Brenda Warner on my ass.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #1067
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Yep. He's handled things reasonably well so far.
Agreed.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #1068
Johnny93g
College Starter

Im honestly embarassed that the Winter's are Canadian
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #1069
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
This whole things reeks of amateurism...but ordinarily that would be fine since this is an one man/family operation. When it comes to indy developers, the consumer always has to realize the circumstances surrounding development when it comes to managing expectations . . .

I see your point, although I think that part of being a professional is knowing how much is too much to bite off. I'm drawing analogies to legal work because it seems to be somewhat similar--you produce intellectual product for consumption by clients/customers. To the extent the analogy is not appropriate, however, I may be missing something.

I would expect a competent solo practicioner to be able to draw out a will or a basic estate plan or help you close on your house or defend a simple DUI, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, I would not expect a solo practicioner to be able to defend Microsoft in an antitrust suit. That takes a huge firm with vast resources.

If, as a solo attorney, I tried to bite off a project that was too much for my skill level as an individual, then I would be at fault for that decision. You need to have a realistic sense of your own limitations.

It may be that a game like Maximum Football is just too much for any one man, no matter who he is. But no one demanded that Mr. Winter make Maximum Football that complex. I think that I lot of people in his target audience would have been happy with a solid (not even FOF level) sim engine, 2D graphics, and CFL Rules.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #1070
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Awwwww!

And now Erik just locked the thread before she could go all Brenda Warner on my ass.

I'd say that locking the thread was the right call at the time. However, the BEST call for the good of the company would have been to delete her original post before anyone saw it, and remove her posting privileges.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-23-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #1071
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I think Jim's wife Angela needs to post on this message board from time to time.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #1072
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Awwwww!

I thought you post was pretty fair, logical, hardly over the top and brought up some good points. I also thought you were about to be banned for life for behaving like that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #1073
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd say that locking the thread was the right call at the time.

Agree 100%, but it's still disappointing from an entertainment point of view.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #1074
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Agree 100%, but it's still disappointing from an entertainment point of view.
Agree 100%.

I've locked more than one thread here when I knew the decision would be unpopular, not from a "you-shouldn't-have-locked-it" perspective, but from a "dang-SkyDog,-you-should-have-left-it-open-cause-mrskippy/maximus/etc-was-REALLY-about-to-go-off-the-charts-in-UIC" perspective.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-23-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #1075
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I thought you post was pretty fair, logical, hardly over the top and brought up some good points. I also thought you were about to be banned for life for behaving like that.

Yeah, I think once Erik saw that she was being called on her martyrdom, he decided to keep her from being able to respond.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #1076
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Heck, yes. I, for one, am paying attention to the manner in which they run their forum, the game on which they are putting their name, and the way in which they will handle customer support for the game.

If they do well, then I trust their name. If they do poorly, then I don't. Simple. To many other things on which to spend money to deal with bad companies.

Of course, my opinion of Georgia Tech is also dependent on how good Maximum Football is since they have apparently licensed the yellow jacket logo for the game.

I completely agree. Depending upon how this is handled, it could cost Matrix a fair bit of sales.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #1077
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Isn't he the guy that faked his own death?
Did he really fake it? i thought he really died or that at least we could not be sure if it was fake.
What a fucking stupid, that is not something to joke about.

Last edited by Icy : 02-23-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #1078
Ben E Lou

OK. I've taken steps to increase this thread's comedy factor.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #1079
KWhit
Coordinator

Hmmmm....

I don't see anything on Matrix's board...
Old 02-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #1080
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh, snap! Has SkyDog been Ghost Banned over there?!?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #1081
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Oh, snap! Has SkyDog been Ghost Banned over there?!?

Now that would be funny.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #1082
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I think Jim's wife Angela needs to post on this message board from time to time.

I've encouraged her to join, but she's just not into football. Never even fired up FOF.

This is one incentive to do the baseball game down the road. I think she would play that.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #1083
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
This is one incentive to do the baseball game down the road. I think she would play that.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #1084
SFL Cat
College Starter

SPORTS SIM HEADLINE NEWS:

Solecismic Promises Baseball Sim At Later Date

SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #1085
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Winter
Druez, Skydog and Slapbone

To respond to your bashing of not only David and Matrix but also myself (and for women in general - that goes for your "I believe when a woman says "no" she means "yes" comment Slapbone.)

Two things stand out in her martyr post.

1. SkyDog and Druez were mentioned in the same sentence concerning the bashing of a developer. True or not this has turned out to be some pretty damned interesting irony. (I don't mention myself because I am always accused of colluding with Jason to piss people off, even though in this instance it was unplanned).

2. Mrs. Winter has gone batshit insane and has lost all detection of sarcasm. She crossposted my comment which was this:

Quote:
I really believe that I am god and that you should all bow down and worship me.

I believe that when a girl says "no" she really means "yes".

I believe that the three-toed sloth is the most intelligent creature on the planet.

I believe that David Caruso is an awesome actor.

I believe that the Houston Astros lost the World Series because the White Sox were abducted by aliens and replaced by cybernetically enhanced clones.

I believe that Barry Bonds has never juiced. (ok 2 baseball references...sue me)

In response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Zowee fanboi
My guess is everyone with Erik and David completing the final tests I am willing to guess that the release that is available to us will be extremely solid if not perfect.

And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBrown
I agree with you. I also believe that neither Eric nor David ever lied about any information that was put out about the release or game features. Each Beta tester that has talked about the game said that it is incredibly stable and that the game is solid. This has been one of the most open and up-front forums I've ever been a part of.

My sarcasm may not be good, but it is certainly not subtle ( I even put rolly-eyes on the comment she quoted).

Anyway, I have been away since November and I came back last night and read through this entire 22 page thread... I missed you guys. The screens from Sov and the Napolean Dynamite dialogue almost killed me
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #1086
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, I really can't remember when I've been more interested in the release of a new game. What's not to love here?
1) It can't disappoint me.
2) It won't cost me a dime.
3) I have no worries about it being compatible with my system.
4) It's already provided quite a bit of entertainment value to me ... and it isn't even released yet.

I'm lovin' it
Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #1087
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapBone
1. SkyDog and Druez were mentioned in the same sentence concerning the bashing of a developer.
It takes the greatness that is Maximum Football to bring together Druez, SkyDog and SlapBone. You should konw that.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #1088
druez
Banned

First of all I would like to thank Winter Valley Software for making this possible. I owe Mr and Mrs Winter some heartfelt thanks in making the impossible, possible again. I never expected to grace these esteemed message boards again.

The true dark jedi has lifted my ban so I may enjoy in the funt that is this thread. I thank you sir! I hope for one day we can get along and discuss the travisty that is Max Football.

A brief Ode to the Winter's.

Mr and Mrs Winter oh how I luv thee
You've made my dream of coming back
a reality.

Winter is coming
Winter is near
Winter has come and gone
for over five years

Yet still no game
it is the same.

In a game of ultimited options
I can't run the option?
How can this be?
This must be a trick say it can't be!?

Chuck Norris and Jesus too!
Is there anything this game can't do?
Teleport here and Teleport there.
But, can I make the cheerleaders
have no underwear?

I'll cut this ode short and say no more
does anyone believe the Winters anymore?

druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #1089
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
SPORTS SIM HEADLINE NEWS:
Solecismic Promises Baseball Sim At Later Date
Oddly enough, Solecismic has released as many baseball games as Matrix has football games.

Even money as to which game comes out first.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 02-23-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #1090
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Hmmmm....

I don't see anything on Matrix's board...
Who said anything about the Matrix Board?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #1091
KWhit
Coordinator

Oh boy.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #1092
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh dear lord, the end is near!

Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #1093
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
First of all I would like to thank Winter Valley Software for making this possible. I owe Mr and Mrs Winter some heartfelt thanks in making the impossible, possible again. I never expected to grace these esteemed message boards again.

The true dark jedi has lifted my ban so I may enjoy in the funt that is this thread. I thank you sir! I hope for one day we can get along and discuss the travisty that is Max Football.

A brief Ode to the Winter's.

Mr and Mrs Winter oh how I luv thee
You've made my dream of coming back
a reality.

Winter is coming
Winter is near
Winter has come and gone
for over five years

Yet still no game
it is the same.

In a game of ultimited options
I can't run the option?
How can this be?
This must be a trick say it can't be!?

Chuck Norris and Jesus too!
Is there anything this game can't do?
Teleport here and Teleport there.
But, can I make the cheerleaders
have no underwear?

I'll cut this ode short and say no more
does anyone believe the Winters anymore?

LOL
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #1094
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

As long as you're lifting bans, when does Sui get to come back?

Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #1095
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola-

Yes I would want to see Suicane back please.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #1096
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #1097
KWhit
Coordinator

This is like when Peck makes the Ghostbusters shut down their containment system and the ghosts go batshit all over New York.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #1098
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Dola-

When I interact him for four months of completely rational behavior and he agrees to only post in one thread.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #1099
druez
Banned

Quote:
This is like when Peck makes the Ghostbusters shut down their containment system and the ghosts go batshit all over New York.

LOL
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #1100
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
It takes the greatness that is Maximum Football to bring together Druez, SkyDog and SlapBone. You should konw that.

I'll make sure Druez plays the game if you let him post his AAR.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote