Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Looking for a good RPG any ideas?

Okay guys i am just about fed up with Temple of Elemental Evil. I cant get the patch to work and i think with the bugs i am gonna give up. I would like something in the fantasy genre adn really prefer turn based games. I could go for a scifi game but it would have to be pretty cool. I am looking for a PC game since i cant seem to log any time on the PS2 or XBOX. Any ideas with links would be great. I have Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, all of the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games. I cant really get into the Neverwinter Nights game because the whole online gaming thing just doesnt work for me. Thanks in advance guys.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
Swaggs
Coordinator

Man... Arcanum is a great game.

Spellforce is a game I have been playing that is pretty fun.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

I keep eyeballin' Baldur's Gate II for a replay....and possibly another replay of Icewind Dale II. I enjoyed the Black Isle line of games very much.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

Without question you need to play Gothic 2.

With some question you might want to play Gothic 1, but I personally didn't care for it a whole much, and it took a lot of convincing for me to try out the sequel, but man am I glad I did. It is not however turn-based.

Little more obscure, but I'm having a blast with Geneforge 2 from Spiderweb software, and will probably pick up one of their Avernum games after it. Great little indie old school RPGs, and both turn-based.

Not much as of late in the TB RPG crowd, or any PC RPG's in general really.

Arcanum was a great idea for a game and had some great moments, but had one of the most atrocious combat systems I've ever seen. Still enjoyed it though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:43 PM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'd definitely recommend Geneforge and Geneforge 2 from Spiderweb, I'd play them in order if at all possible, as there's a lot of backstory in there.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I'd definitely recommend Geneforge and Geneforge 2 from Spiderweb, I'd play them in order if at all possible, as there's a lot of backstory in there.

You a fan of the Avernum series? I keep hearing such rave things, but from a little bit with the demo it just wasn't clicking. Didn't have that same feel as Geneforge.

Maybe I just need to give it more time...Geneforge clicked almost right away for me though.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:36 AM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yes, I've played all of the Avernum games, and love them as well. They do have a different feel that Geneforge though, and a very different engine. Pretty much old school Ultima type games, and there's not so much emphasis on branching plots. There are, however, an incredible amount of quests and things to do, dungeons to explore, and baddies to kill. It's really amazing the sheer depth the games have. A1 is lacking in a few nice features (like a quest list that keeps track of your quests) that were introduced in A2, and A3 has some really neat stuff since you can go on the surface world, and there is a real time element since monsters are attacking towns, if you don't stop them fast enough they may have already destroyed the place you were heading to!

Great games. I like Geneforge 1/2 just as much, though they are quite different.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:53 AM   #8
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Haven't seen any decent RPGs recently that I've tried, but if you haven't yet experienced some of the user mods for BG II, there's some really good stuff there that adds a lot to the game and can make it much more of a challenge.

Couple of recommended sites:

hxxp://weidu.org/main.html

and a master list of them:

hxxp://modlist.pocketplane.net/
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #9
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Sorry to sound repetitive but Torment. I heart that game.

For something far more wacky and not entirely a pure RPG, Jagged Alliance 2 is another of my favourite. And after you've finished the original campaign, you can play the fan-made ones! Huzzah!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

I know you said you weren't into the online thing, but Everquest has a free one month trial going.. just download, install and play free for a month... no credit card needed.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I know you said you weren't into the online thing, but Everquest has a free one month trial going.. just download, install and play free for a month... no credit card needed.

That's how crack dealers do it, too.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
jbmagic
Pro Starter

try Beyond Divinity , i hear its a great rpg game
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I so much love BG 2. Just might fire it up again.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:15 PM   #14
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For my money, T.o.M.E. is easily the best RPG available for your PC....and best of all, in this case, 'my money' is zero.

get it here

It's a roguelike/Andgband variant, so the graphics aren't the prettiest, but unlike some roguelikes it at least has some graphics, and if you're familiar with Avernum and Geneforge then you probably won't be too disappointed.

Strongpoints:

Random Level Layouts
Tons of monsters including named uniques
Hundreds and hundreds of unique artifact weapons and armors including sentient weapons that gain their own experience and level up.
Dozens of classes and races with specific skill trees and abilities.
Great magic system.
Turn based, so moves as quickly or slowly as you desire.
Fully customizable interface from presentation to command macros.
Just an incredible depth to so many elements that I could never write them all up.

Weak Points:

Like all roguelikes/Angband variants it can be a bitch in the beginnig if you're not familiar with the genre.
Documentation seems squarely aimed at the intermediate player, not enough info to get the newbie started and not enough direction to help in the late-game.
Low production values. Graphic tiles are available to make it pretty, but that's about it. No sound. No animation. No multiplayer.

I implore anybody even halfway interested in RPGs to give it a shot. Fully expect to get stuck and frustrated early and often, but it's well, well worth the effort. I'll be glad to answer any questions if you have them. I simply can't pimp this game enough, and I wish more people would give it a shot. I know that at one time or another there were a few more T.o.M.E. heads around here, so hopefully someone else will second this for me.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-17-2004 at 03:56 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:33 PM   #15
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
try Beyond Divinity , i hear its a great rpg game

Whoever told you that, slap them....hard!

Beyond Divinity was a horrid horrid game. Divine Divinity on the other hand was a very very good game! Very underrated RPG classic, mix of Diablo and Baldur's Gate, and done very well.

Peregrine- Thanks for the info, I'll definitely give Avernum another shot though, as I have a hard time believing I wouldn't like them. They sound right up my alley.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
I so much love BG 2. Just might fire it up again.

"You...and me...and Boo...hampsters and rangers everywhere...UNITE!"
Old 09-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #17
condors
College Starter

if you like old school rpgs check out spiderwebsoftware.com

i think the games are great but they are not fancy looking to say the least
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:16 PM   #18
The_herd
College Starter

Torment

Greatest RPG ever. Hands down.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:35 PM   #19
Blackadar
Retired

Hmmm...some ideas. Things are mighty thin out there right now.

Hack n' slash (a la Diablo) - try Sacred. Very good game.

In depth RPGs - If you haven't played Planescape: Torment, do so NOW. Divine Divinity is good - lots of freedom, mediocre story. KOTOR is good - less freedom, better story.

THESLOPPY - sorry, your link doesn't work.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I fixeded link. thanks for the heads-up blackie.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #21
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Guys i gotta admit i have never been able to get thru Planescape. It is a different game but i just cant get thru it. Thanks for the ideas guys.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:44 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Hmmm...some ideas. Things are mighty thin out there right now.

Hack n' slash (a la Diablo) - try Sacred. Very good game.

In depth RPGs - If you haven't played Planescape: Torment, do so NOW. Divine Divinity is good - lots of freedom, mediocre story. KOTOR is good - less freedom, better story.

THESLOPPY - sorry, your link doesn't work.

I'll second Sacred for hack and slash fun. It is very buggy for multi-player, though.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #23
Blackadar
Retired

With the patch 1.7 out, Sacred should finally be MP stable. (I hope)
Old 09-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #24
Blackadar
Retired

As for Planescape, I think it's one of those games you don't realize is great until close to the end because the story is disjointed until then. Of course, that's the way it's supposed to be, given your character.

But once you finish, it's like "oh my, that was so good/sad/excellent/weird". To put it another way, I know of very few people who got through PT who didn't play it again. That speaks volumes for the story.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #25
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Torment

Greatest RPG ever. Hands down.
Beat you to it.

What Blackie said . . . it's SUCH an awesome story.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #26
GrantDawg

Quote:
With the patch 1.7 out, Sacred should finally be MP stable. (I hope)

Still way too buggy.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:27 PM   #27
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Still way too buggy.

You know this by experience on the 1.7 patch?

There are relatively few complaints on the 1.7. Now in the betas leading up to the final patch...they are a different story.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:23 AM   #28
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think KOTOR (Star wars ) is an amazing, amazing RPG- great, exciting gameplay, and a wonderful storyline
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:23 AM   #29
andy m
High School Varsity

morrowind should be mentioned in this thread.

best pc game ever.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:39 AM   #30
Blackadar
Retired

I'd have LOVED Morrowind. I'm sure. It's the kind of in-depth, life-sucking RPG that I enjoy.

But I can't play 1st person games - they make me puke.

IT'S A 3D GAME - GIVE ME CONTROL OVER THE DAMNED CAMERA!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #31
Dutch
"Dutch"

Same deal for me. I can't stand 3D RPG's. But I appreciate the fact that 3D games are more popular.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:59 AM   #32
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
As for Planescape, I think it's one of those games you don't realize is great until close to the end because the story is disjointed until then. Of course, that's the way it's supposed to be, given your character.

But once you finish, it's like "oh my, that was so good/sad/excellent/weird". To put it another way, I know of very few people who got through PT who didn't play it again. That speaks volumes for the story.

This nails it. I realized early on that I was playing a good game. But it wasn't until the very close to the end that I started to realize just how good Torment was. Most good RPGs get you to really care about the main character. Torment gives you so much story and interaction with all the characters in your party that you develop the same level of care for them as well. When you combine this level of character development with what is probably the best storyline of the games using the D&D license you have what ends up being the perfect RPG experience.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #33
Capital
High School Varsity

KOTOR - an its pretty cheap nowadays

I also echo the quality of Gothic 2. A very surprising RPG.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #34
Anthony
Banned

i'm playing Fable on XBox.

currently one of my favorite games ever, and i'm not even that far into it. graphics are top notch, the fighting is stellar. since i'm only 3-4 hours into the game i can't comment too much about the story, but design-wise i've been allowed to go at my own pace. i don't know how large the world is - i enjoy huge worlds where i feel like one small ant making my way. it seems big, i've just graduated from the Hero Guild and am on my way to the main story to make a name for myself in the world.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:16 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm really enjoying Fable as well. I planned on only playing for an hour or two today, but ended up playing for about 8. I would have kept playing, but USC is actually on TV (ESPN) and I watch them whenever I can. I know that some people have said Fable is short, but I find myself wanting to do many of the side things (buy a house, fish, dig for hidden treasure following a riddle puzzle, etc.) and am not that far into the game even after 9 hours of play today.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #36
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I'm not a huge RPG fan, but I've been looking forward to Fable for awhile. I purchased it Wednesday and am pretty close to finishing it already. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'm being intentionally vague, but after realizing that I was nearing the end I went to the Fable message board and found some threads where people were complaining about the same problem(s) I had.

1) Way too linear of progression (for me, as I loved the open-ended style of Morrowind)

2) Way too small of levels

3) Way too short of game (I've played about 13 hours and am almost done... People online were saying they beat it in 11 to 15 hours of playing).

If anyone has a suggestion for an open-ended world RPG (like Morrowind) that someone who is fairly new to RPGs could get into, I'd be interested in hearing it.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:12 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if people are doing the side quests? Right now I've spent several hours in a tavern gambling, because I want to buy a house. Is this necessary to beat the game? No. But, I find it fun so far. Also, I'm trying to find several treasure clues to find some hidden treasure. Again, this is not necessary I imagine, but I'm finding it fun. However, I agree that if I played through just the necessary quests, that the game appears like it would be too short. One concern I do have is that my character seems to be aging very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
I'm not a huge RPG fan, but I've been looking forward to Fable for awhile. I purchased it Wednesday and am pretty close to finishing it already. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'm being intentionally vague, but after realizing that I was nearing the end I went to the Fable message board and found some threads where people were complaining about the same problem(s) I had.

1) Way too linear of progression (for me, as I loved the open-ended style of Morrowind)

2) Way too small of levels

3) Way too short of game (I've played about 13 hours and am almost done... People online were saying they beat it in 11 to 15 hours of playing).

If anyone has a suggestion for an open-ended world RPG (like Morrowind) that someone who is fairly new to RPGs could get into, I'd be interested in hearing it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 AM   #38
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how is dungeon seige and the expasnion for it?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:06 AM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I wasn't going to mention Fable since he asked for a PC Game , but I'm playing it to and absolutely love it. It does seem small. I've done like 10-11 hours, and I'm nearing the end (I have to, based on the world map). Though I'm having a great deal of fun playing all the side quests and just going around doing fun stuff (like playing parlour games, fishing, cozying up to the wife).

Though it does still seem like it'll be somewhat short (It seems like I'm going for a 15-20 hours). It is linear, that is true, but you can go around and search the world if you want.

This game, though, does live up to the promise of having the most realistic avatar. For the longest time I had 'Chicken Chaser' (his title) wear no helmet, so when I take off my helmet (as 'Guardian' by way of 'Sabre') you can see the scars across my face. I have my plate mail on, but I'm sure there is a tatoo there if I take off my clothes .

I'd definetly recommend Fable to anyone.

Quote:

Unfortunetly Morrowind is one of a kind. Even very non-linear games like Fallout don't approach the level of non-linear that Morrowind brings to the table.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:31 AM   #40
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
how is dungeon seige and the expasnion for it?

Dungeon Siege was pretty cool for a while...then it got old. Kind of like Diablo. It's been a long time since I've played it, so I don't remember much about story, etc. But I know it was pretty damn entertaining while I was into it. If you can buy it cheap ($20 or less) I'd say it's a good buy. Probably not good enough for a $25-$30+ price tag nowadays.

I never played the expansion, so I don't know how good/bad it was.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:47 AM   #41
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Morrowind was a fun game, and I am constantly tempted to play it again. For one thing, I'm sure there are very good mods and fixes to the problems I had with it when I first played (levelling being too easy, particularly for combat chars, bugs, etc) and to add more content, plus there are the expansions I've never tried. Don't know if they are good or not though.

edit - Can anyone point me to a good Morrowind mod/addition site?

Last edited by Peregrine : 09-19-2004 at 06:50 AM.