Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #3651
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I have never understood why people love GoT so much, but many of these same people refuse to play Diplomacy. The strategic portion of the game is mostly the same, the main difference is the Dune style combat in GoT. Backstabbing is appreciated in GoT, in Diplomacy it is grounds for breaking off a friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I have never played diplomacy. Want to, but havent.

I wonder if the theme is the difference. In GoT, backstabbing is part of the story. So it is expected.

I'm with tarcone on this one. I own Diplomacy and want to play, but have never been able to get it to the table. Part of that is the reputation of the game making me hesitant to work too hard at getting it to the table, but a significant part is also the length of the game.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #3652
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm with tarcone on this one. I own Diplomacy and want to play, but have never been able to get it to the table. Part of that is the reputation of the game making me hesitant to work too hard at getting it to the table, but a significant part is also the length of the game.

Getting 7 people who enjoy that style of game is *hard*.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #3653
tarcone
Coordinator

Isnt diplomacy a game you can play over email?
There is there a Vassal module for it. Not sure, but you can save games as you go I imagine.

I bet we could scare up 7 to play it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #3654
chesapeake
College Starter

There used to be online judges for Diplomacy that worked quite well. I used them on occasion to play with friends around the country. I'm sure a quick Google would find something still out there.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #3655
tarcone
Coordinator

Found a HS football game with a real system of game play that is based on real HS teams.

It is originally $55, bit with the code PRIME you get it half off. indiovidual teams are $10.

It is called Friday Night Lights.

Friday Night Legends | Fall's Mightiest Heroes

Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #3656
Thomkal
Head Coach

The digital version of Gloomhaven is now in Early Access on Steam for $24.99. Still more than I want to pay, but when the actual board game is $80+....

Gloomhaven on Steam
Old 07-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #3657
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The digital version of Gloomhaven is now in Early Access on Steam for $24.99. Still more than I want to pay, but when the actual board game is $80+....

Gloomhaven on Steam

I’ll definitely follow the PC version of this game. I have the board game and it’s definitely one of my favorites.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #3658
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

Gloomhaven on Steam

I am fascinated to see if this works. The board game (after my three hour immersion) seems super deep and very complex. On one level that sounds like a great port to computer - let all the dice-rolling happen automagically, etc. But the flip side is (I'm guessing) that all the tedium is actually part of the immersion, which would make the rewards more substantive.

I could see this becoming a thing where I play the game for 15 hours and like it. The other guy who did the same tasks on an actual table top over the course of 300 hours LOVES it. (c.f. online RPGs where you can skip the "grind" and just create an already-developed character)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #3659
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Isnt diplomacy a game you can play over email?
There is there a Vassal module for it. Not sure, but you can save games as you go I imagine.

I bet we could scare up 7 to play it.

We played an FOFC Diplomacy game here once, many many moons ago. Dunno if it was ever finished.

I'd be kinda interested in joining one if we did it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #3660
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I am fascinated to see if this works. The board game (after my three hour immersion) seems super deep and very complex. On one level that sounds like a great port to computer - let all the dice-rolling happen automagically, etc. But the flip side is (I'm guessing) that all the tedium is actually part of the immersion, which would make the rewards more substantive.

I could see this becoming a thing where I play the game for 15 hours and like it. The other guy who did the same tasks on an actual table top over the course of 300 hours LOVES it. (c.f. online RPGs where you can skip the "grind" and just create an already-developed character)

Yeah I simply cannot afford the box version, so I'm hoping the digital version comes somewhat close at least by the time early access is over. Here's a quick look at someone first try at the digital version. Not much in the way of strategizing or explaining what's going on, but gives you a good look at what is in the game right now:

GloomHaven Early Access First Impressions and Gameplay - YouTube
Old 07-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #3661
bob
College Starter

7th Continent Extra Kickstarter copies now available (USA)

Link: Serious Poulp

For those of you that missed the kickstarters for this. Website is getting hammered and it took me trying my credit card a bunch before it actually went through.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #3662
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I feel bad for Catalyst Game Labs, they partnered with someone to do a worker placement shadowrun game (Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops) on kickstarter, and hoo boy have things gone sideways for them (not their fault!)

The campaign went great (nearly $300K from about 2800 backers). The game had a relatively smooth path to release, until it got in the hand of the distributors that Catalyst used.

First off, they screwed up the most popular backing option (the Legendary edition with the 5-6 player expansion). The United States Backers of this didn't get the 5-6 player expansion, they instead got a different Catalyst game (Jarl, a Vikings-themed tile laying game). That would be bad enough (probably a small loss, Jarl is not a big selling game), but the distributor in trying to fix it, made things 100% worse.

In trying to set up a second round of mailing to get everyone the 5-6 player expansion, they sent all the US backers at that level a SECOND copy of Legendary Edition along with it. (That's a $100 backer level)

So, there's not really much they can do to recover the extra copies out there,
and not only that, but now they don't have copies to send their EU-AU backers forcing a reprint (causing several months of delay). Some folks have volunteered to bring them back the extra copies (there's a thread of folks who are dropping it off at GenCon or Origins)

This has caused something like $30,000 in losses of extra copies out there and reprints, and caused them strife with their EU/AU customers). Now, they're going to be recovering it one way or another from the distributor (either through a settlement or lawsuits), but still, talk about a comedy of errors.)

(fake edit Oh, it gets better, this was sent out recently

And yet another error on PSI's part. Some of you may have seen retail versions of the game Sprawl Ops in LGS's. (Local Game Stores). I was asking people about it and noticed that retail versions were released to stores by PSI. Catalyst did not sanction that release. Their instructions were to wait until all or the majority of Kickstarter backers got their product.

real edit: That's retail copies of the game, not the legendary edition that people backed, but still, follks are in pitchfork and torches mode, despite CGL not having anything to do with it

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #3663
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: Just to give you an idea of the size of the box (and remember, I actually got TWO of them instead of one)

Shared album - David Yellope - Google Photos
Old 07-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #3664
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow glad I don't work in customer service for that company Foz-that's a whole lot of screwing up.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:17 AM   #3665
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
7th Continent Extra Kickstarter copies now available (USA)

Link: Serious Poulp

For those of you that missed the kickstarters for this. Website is getting hammered and it took me trying my credit card a bunch before it actually went through.

If anyone else is interested I have the whole set - original and kickstarted expansion - and I'm looking to sell. For whatever reason hasn't really tripped my trigger. The expansion isn't even out of the shrink wrap.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 AM   #3666
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Catalyst has a new kickstarter today (for a new box set in their battletech universe, focusing on the clan invasion).

Funded in 7 minutes.

500K in less than a day.

(Now here's hoping they keep PSI far far away from the product)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #3667
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah I simply cannot afford the box version, so I'm hoping the digital version comes somewhat close at least by the time early access is over. Here's a quick look at someone first try at the digital version. Not much in the way of strategizing or explaining what's going on, but gives you a good look at what is in the game right now:

GloomHaven Early Access First Impressions and Gameplay - YouTube

quill18 plays gloomhaven:

Let's Try Gloomhaven -- Dungeon-Crawling, Tactical-RPG - YouTube
Old 07-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #3668
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have been itching to pull the trigger on the digital gloomhaven but haven’t yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #3669
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I have been itching to pull the trigger on the digital gloomhaven but haven’t yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I eventually will. $25 for eventually a large (full?) portion of what the board game has to offer for $100+ And you don't have to find table space for all the parts/keep track of what you need going forward. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #3670
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I couldn't resist and picked up Wacky Races The Boardgame.
It sounds close to as crazy as the cartoon was.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #3671
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've always been intrigued by Gloomhaven but felt that I would never realistically get it on the table just due to the sheer magnitude of the thing. So I pulled the trigger on digital Gloomhaven yesterday and do not regret it. Spent a few hours going through the rules and running my first few adventures and had a blast.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #3672
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I've always been intrigued by Gloomhaven but felt that I would never realistically get it on the table just due to the sheer magnitude of the thing. So I pulled the trigger on digital Gloomhaven yesterday and do not regret it. Spent a few hours going through the rules and running my first few adventures and had a blast.

I gave in and got it today. When the board game is going for $80+ and will likely never come down to the $25 for the digital version which will have most of the same stuff, I just couldn't resist. I do worry about DLC's down the road that I will have to pay for, but that seems a long way off right now.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #3673
Izulde
Head Coach

I personally really want the GoT game (and Mother of Dragon expansion because Daenerys is love, Daenerys is life), but it'd be quite an expense with no one to play with and would just sit unused.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #3674
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I personally really want the GoT game (and Mother of Dragon expansion because Daenerys is love, Daenerys is life), but it'd be quite an expense with no one to play with and would just sit unused.

Look for gaming meet ups. Or go to cons. Always a great time to play it.

My group rarely gets together anymore, but I am looking to pimp my game out with plastic minis and there are iron thrones and 3 eyed ravens for purchase.

This is a fantastic game. Very much worth owning. Very thematic and tells a story when played.

I also pre-ordered the 3 x 3 playmat that FFG is putting out. I have dropped a lot money into this game and it rarely gets played, but I love it.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #3675
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I gave in and got it today. When the board game is going for $80+ and will likely never come down to the $25 for the digital version which will have most of the same stuff, I just couldn't resist. I do worry about DLC's down the road that I will have to pay for, but that seems a long way off right now.

So lesson #1-remember that running out of cards burns (kills) your adventurer until the next dungeon. Lost one of my two halfway through the first dungeon, still nearly pulled off the last room thanks to Cragheart's retaliate ability.

Lesson #2-remember my characters have items that might have helped me survive.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #3676
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam having a Digital Board Game sale through the weekend. Bunch of Games there ones that stood out were Slay the Spire for 50% off, Hand of Fate I for $5 (and 40% off II), Mysterium for $3, and Elder Sign: Omens for a $1. Sadly no Gloomhaven sale yet.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #3677
AnalBumCover
College Starter

FFG announced their newest LCG, Marvel Champions: The Card Game.

Just as I decide to cease spending money on Arhkam Horror LCG after The Circle Undone expansion, this comes out.

And yes, I do have almost all of the Legendary Marvel collection too.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #3678
tarcone
Coordinator

I bought Axis and Allies 1942. Hope its great.

I take it our Diplomacy Vassal game is a no go?

Old 08-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #3679
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What kind of time commitment would we be looking at? My availability lately is super scattershot, and I wouldn't want to hold up the game.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #3680
Izulde
Head Coach

Okay so I’ve been trying to remember the name of this game for weeks. It’s a historical game where you manage a fallen gentry family’s estate and try to restore their social standing- I seem to recall a pair of twins as suitors who could save everything if you get to marry one of them

Old 10-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #3681
Thomkal
Head Coach

Obsession | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Obsession? Came out last year, not sure if its older than that
Old 10-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #3682
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Obsession | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Obsession? Came out last year, not sure if its older than that

Yes, that’s it! Thanks! Now I just have to find where to buy it because it’s perfect for a solo game dynasty

Old 10-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #3683
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Yes, that’s it! Thanks! Now I just have to find where to buy it because it’s perfect for a solo game dynasty

It’s on Kickstarter right now(second printing) about 2 days left.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #3684
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
It’s on Kickstarter right now(second printing) about 2 days left.

Perfect timing! Just backed it to get the base game and both expansions in March. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #3685
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Planning to play Tapestry this weekend. Anyone played it? Any tips/hints on good strategies?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 AM   #3686
RendeR
Coordinator

The Family and I have been playing "Wingspan" a bird collecting engine building game. I admit the first time I ever played it I was like "Bird watching? dafuq?" but I really love the game. Its quick, its strategic and extremely replayable. There are expansions to make it even moreso.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #3687
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Picked up Marvel Champions, the new solo/co-op LCG from Fantasy Flight Games. I'm a sucker for card games, and this one hits a lot of great notes for me. The mechanics share a lot of similarities with previous co-op LCG's like Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror, but this one is set apart in a couple of key ways.

First, the theme is obviously a huge draw, but also the way they have tied that into the mechanics via the alter-ego/hero card flipping is pretty cool.

Second, the match times are fantastic. I've played 5 times now and by the last match I was able to setup, play, and tear down in 30 minutes. Yet in those 30 minutes I had to make a bunch of interesting decisions and had a bunch of fun.

The only thing missing at this point is a larger campaign mode to tie the fights together, but hopefully that is something they can add on via expansions down the road. For now I'm having a blast with what's in the box.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #3688
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
The Family and I have been playing "Wingspan" a bird collecting engine building game. I admit the first time I ever played it I was like "Bird watching? dafuq?" but I really love the game. Its quick, its strategic and extremely replayable. There are expansions to make it even moreso.

I've played Wingspan about 10 times and each game seems more fun!
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #3689
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I have heard wonderful things about Marvel Champions.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #3690
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'll have to skip Marvel Champions for now, FFG is sucking up enough of my money with LotR LCG and I'm thinking of getting the Super Star Destroyer for Armada.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #3691
Thomkal
Head Coach

Very interested in both Wingspan and Tapestry. Curious how their solo play works.

Albion, BoardGameGeek has a "let's play" of Tapestry on their you tube channel-GameNight crew. I've not watched it yet, but it may help develop some strategies.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #3692
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm excited for Marvel Champions. I just picked this up but haven't played yet. I've stopped buying AH:LCG after the Circle Undone cycle for this one, so most likely I'll go all-in as the expansions keep coming.

Much like I do for Legendary Marvel.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #3693
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Picked up Marvel Champions, the new solo/co-op LCG from Fantasy Flight Games. I'm a sucker for card games, and this one hits a lot of great notes for me. The mechanics share a lot of similarities with previous co-op LCG's like Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror, but this one is set apart in a couple of key ways.

First, the theme is obviously a huge draw, but also the way they have tied that into the mechanics via the alter-ego/hero card flipping is pretty cool.

Second, the match times are fantastic. I've played 5 times now and by the last match I was able to setup, play, and tear down in 30 minutes. Yet in those 30 minutes I had to make a bunch of interesting decisions and had a bunch of fun.

The only thing missing at this point is a larger campaign mode to tie the fights together, but hopefully that is something they can add on via expansions down the road. For now I'm having a blast with what's in the box.
Just picked this up. How does the Coop work (thinking about playing with my two sons)?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #3694
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
Very interested in both Wingspan and Tapestry. Curious how their solo play works.

Albion, BoardGameGeek has a "let's play" of Tapestry on their you tube channel-GameNight crew. I've not watched it yet, but it may help develop some strategies.

They both use the Automa system that other Stonemaier games have used. Haven't played Wingspan solo, but Tapestry solo is pretty good.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #3695
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks Rock
Old 11-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #3696
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
They both use the Automa system that other Stonemaier games have used. Haven't played Wingspan solo, but Tapestry solo is pretty good.

I was interested in Tapestry until I read a few reviews that mentioned you can have technologies/innovations like space travel before you discover written language for example. That killed it for me.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #3697
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm a huge Stonemaier Games fanboy, and I've also cooled on Tapestry. The imbalance between factions and the random nature of the deck can make for hugely imbalanced games, from reviews I have read. It probably doesn't happen often, but I'm reading accounts of certain games being over basically by turn two or three simply because someone drew the exact card that combos perfectly with their faction. Or someone who just has a miserable time because they never draw any good cards for their faction. Combine that with the jarring possibility that Galaril described of randomized technologies, and the game really doesn't let it sit in that Civilization-style game space in my head, so it loses another point with me there. One of my two go-to review teams (No Pun Included) had a somewhat scathing review of it as a game that obviously needed more playtesting and balancing before release. Even with all that being said there's a ton about the game that I like, so I'm still interested...but probably won't get it unless someone in my family gifts it to me for Christmas.

On the other hand, Wingspan is fantastic. Finally got my copy about two weeks ago, and we've put in a handful of games with two players, and a single game with three players. It's an excellent blend of simplicity (four actions, period, that don't ever change throughout the game) and tactical/strategic decision-making. Combine that with just superb quality components, and you have a quick to teach, quick to play, interesting game. Each of our games so far have been close (< 10 points 1st to Last, with scores in the 70-80 range), and my preliminary and anecdotal feel is that player agency has as much to do with the outcome as the random card draw does.

It's pretty early, but this feels like a game that is going to be on my shortlist for a long time.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #3698
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

In an effort to bring up things we all may have been doing during this crazy time, I've leaned full on into my board gaming hobby with my wife. Apologies for the wall of text incoming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Planning to play Tapestry this weekend. Anyone played it? Any tips/hints on good strategies?

Did you get to play it? What did you think?

I've managed to get a bunch of new board games to my table in the last few weeks; between a lot of gifts for Christmas of board games and with the baby on the way, the wife and I have been downsizing a ton, so I've been using it as an excuse to get games she hasn't played to the table to determine whether they stay in our collection or not.

Games that made the cut:

I did end up getting Tapestry, and we've played it three times at the 2 player count. I am a sucker, and love it; that being said, we haven't seen any of the runaway card combinations yet, and I'm sure the game plays much differently at higher player counts. Jury is still out long-term; we need many more plays to get a real feel for it. I love the interplay of building both combinations in your actions and building your capital city to maximize bonuses and build your engine.

Everdell has been a big hit as a medium-weight Worker Placement game (we typically roll out Agricola or Caverna, which seem...more demanding). Played it a handful of times at both 2 and 4 players. Card combinations can be pretty amazing, and the large variety of cards that are freely visible at almost all times (8) helps reduce getting randomly screwed by the deck - though it can definitely still happen. The art is awesome, though the Evertree kind of blocks visibility for some of the people at the table.

Uwe Rosenburg is a big hit in our house (in case the Agricola and Caverna drops before didn't register), and we recently got to play A Feast For Odin. This is a monster of a worker placement game to digest with 61 options to place your workers on every turn. That being said, it simplifies the hell out of a lot of mechanics from Agricola and Caverna - feeding your people, housing livestock, housing workers, and getting more workers are all done practically automatically, so you get to focus on the polyomino Tetris-like mini-game of getting all your stuff in places. It's fascinating how many different ways you can go with your vikings, and I'm looking forward to getting it to the table more.

We also tried out Viticulture: Essential Edition and like the simple nature of it compared to the huge sprawling complexities of the Rosenburgs and Everdell. You're just making wine, there are 12 total action spaces, and make it happen. Can you tell that worker placement is our jam over here? Anyhow, just because there are only 12 action spaces, that doesn't mean this can't get juicy quickly; having access to only half the actions in each season and knowing that once placed, a worker is generally lost to you for the opposing season, you really get a wonderful puzzle of optimizing your placements. Combine that with the first player taking a space getting a significant bonus (in the 3+ player count versions of the game) and you really have to think about not only what you are doing, but in what order you are doing it to make sure you don't end up with sour grapes. Unfortunately, the 2 player game seems like a poor vintage because each space can only handle one worker and there is no bonus; it's still a fun, thinky puzzle, but I vastly prefer the higher player count after our 6 or so games.

Breaking the worker-placement mold, I was able to convince my wife to play The Silver River, a space-themed 4X game that I kickstarted a while back. The draw of the game is "a 4X that can be played in 90 minutes" - which seemed amazing to someone who counts Eclipse as one of his favorite board games of all time. It also seemed pretty far-fetched, and over the course of waiting for the Kickstarter to be fulfilled, I started regretting my investment. After a single 2-player game, I am cautiously optimistic that not only will it work as a shorter game (our game took 2 hours and we were learning everything as we went), but it will also do a decent enough job of scratching that 4X itch. There are several clever mechanics that reward quick play without breaking the theme or immersion. Obviously we need a few more plays, but my wife - who is not a big fan of area control / dudes on a map games - admitted that she liked it a lot more than she thought she would after our one playthrough so far.

Similarly, I picked up A War of Whispers in an effort to get a lighter / quicker version of the backstabbing trickery of the "A Game of Thrones, 2nd Edition" board game. We played this one with my parents and it didn't land particularly well; this game is more suited to my old gaming group as opposed to my current group, and the abstract-ness of the pieces on the board not really "belonging" to any of the people playing the game was a little hard to get used to for the group. The main thrust of the game is that you play the role of the sly spymasters who work behind the scenes to really determine what happens in the realm - much like the characters Varys and Littlefinger from A Game of Thrones. Personally, I was very intrigued by the mechanics, and would love to give it a try with a group more suited to this style of game.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is not a new game to me, but I had yet to bring it to the table with my wife. We had a pretty great time with it, as my brutish football star Ox Bellows decided that he needed to abduct a little girl we found in the mansion and teach all his former friends a lesson by locking them in and blowing up the mansion. Good old professor Longfellow sacrificed himself on the second floor to an enraged Ox while Madam Zostra defeated the wraith in the basement to rescue the little girl. Zoe Ingstrom tried unsuccessfully to pick the lock on the front door, and by the time Zostra was up in the foyer with the little girl, Ox was barreling down the stairs at all of them. In the nick of time, they were able to break down the front door and escape before Ox was able to complete his revenge!

In the Year of the Dragon is a Stefan Feld (Trajan, Castles of Burgundy, many, many others) game that I somehow got a hold of on a huge online sale one time. We finally played a bit of it, and it's a tight little near-perfect information game. Everyone starts with the same resources, and each of the challenges that you will face is randomized fro each game, but the order they will appear is known so you can plan for each of them. I would call this game good but not great; I was actually ready to put it into the cut pile, but my wife convinced me that we should keep it around.

Finally, another oldie but goodie that my wife hadn't played was Galaxy Trucker. I've owned this game forever, but never really had a chance to play it with my old gaming group because one member of the group hated it with a fiery passion. He just had a hard time watching all his hard work get destroyed on the run at the end of things. Personally, the craziness and destruction is one of the best parts, so I do not suffer from his issue. A lot of it is random (card draw and dice rolling), though proper ship construction can help mitigate a lot of the damage. Strangely enough, even though I heavily lean against randomness and toward strategy/tactics I do enjoy the heck out of this game, mostly for the absurdity factor.

Games that did not make the cut:

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is a living card game that is a duel game like Magic: The Gathering. This was a Christmas gift that was not on my list, nor was it on my radar. Having played Magic back in the 90's, I am not unfamiliar with these types of games...but I am mostly disinterested at this point. While there were some interesting mechanics - this involved dice as your "mana pool" so you start ready to rock rather than having to build up your strength - there was nothing here to push me into the interested camp.

Letters from Whitechapel this hidden-movement game is a beefed up version of the classic Scotland Yard, where one player plays Jack the Ripper, and the remaining players form a team of constables trying to track him down. Each round, Jack secretly marks one of several targets to be his kill for the evening, while the police spread throughout Whitechapel utilizing dummy patrols as well as real constables in an attempt to form a net that Jack can't escape. I enjoyed this one, but both my wife and my dad were not at all impressed. We didn't even make it through the playthrough, just the first round of the game.

Other cut games that we didn't bother playing and I put on the list to clear space:
  • Fortress America
  • Dominion (for some reason I had two copies of the base game; kept one)
  • Dominion: Prosperity
  • Dominion: Seaside
  • Arkham Horror (sigh...just never able to get this to the table. Ever.)
  • Five Tribes (this one was maybe the hardest to put on the list. I really like it, but if I wanted something like this I think I'd reach for a handful of other games first)
  • Shadows Over Camelot (too many other hidden role / social deduction games in my collection I'd play over this one)
  • Android: Netrunner (another one I was sad to get rid of, but the wife can't stand the style, and I have no one else I would ever play this with)

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-26-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #3699
tarcone
Coordinator

If you want a filler game similar to Betrayal on the House on the Hill, check out Grindhouse.

This is a quick "dungeon crawler". Takes about 30 minutes.

Is better with more than 2. But it is very different and brutal. The rules all appear on the room cards and persona cards. Its a good time. Worth the buy in my opinion.

Daughters really liked it. Wife not so much.

I got in on the recent MM but $200 worth of games to get a chnace to get a $1000 gift card. I pulled a $15 gift card. But I got Brass: Birmingham, Combat Commander: Pacific, Near and Far and a few expansions.

Im looking forward to learning these games, but am thinking of breaking out my old Title Bout game and having a Heavy weight 32 boxer tournament. Which I will do a Dynasty report. I also, just bought Pacific Tide from COmpass games. A WW2 Pacific Theater game. Its set up on the table and the rules are ready to be digested. Though I tend to fall asleep reading rules.

Solo is the word for me. So many games to play.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #3700
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
[*]Arkham Horror (sigh...just never able to get this to the table. Ever.

My Bro-in-Law is a huge Halloween guy. Biggest day of the year for him, etc.

And so sometime in the season, he'll have a Halloween party that centers around Arkham Horror. Makes a playlist, serves themed snacks, etc. It's a grand time.

I've also, however, played a game of Eldrich Horror where we all got our ass kicked so hard and so quickly that we decided that the game was really the scene in the first ten minutes of an adventure movie showing how the Earth fell, and then the screen goes to black and you see the words "500 years later . . ."

I guess what I am saying is that they are amazing games, but I think of them almost more as interactive stories than board games.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote