Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #251
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is ridiculous
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #252
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
What a cheeky corner kick
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #253
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
What a cheeky corner kick

That was brilliantly played
Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #254
bhlloy
Coordinator

At what point does this Barca team become known for being the biggest bottlers the sport has ever seen? They have been absolutely shocking again in a game that they just needed to keep close.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Breaking News: Barca changes name, will be known as Falcons
Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #256
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
At what point does this Barca team become known for being the biggest bottlers the sport has ever seen? They have been absolutely shocking again in a game that they just needed to keep close.

Will never understand how you dont actively go for the win when you have 3 goals in Hand and 1 away goal means Pool has to score 5. Instead you kinda sorta try to manage the game ...

Amazing spirit by Liverpool. Klopp could propably motivate any group of people to be their best possible version.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #257
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

About 15-20 minutes ago?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #258
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Will never understand how you dont actively go for the win when you have 3 goals in Hand and 1 away goal means Pool has to score 5. Instead you kinda sorta try to manage the game ...

Amazing spirit by Liverpool. Klopp could propably motivate any group of people to be their best possible version.

Especially when you are Barcelona and defense is not your forte.

Well done to Liverpool. Despite Barcelona's incompetence, they were amazing.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #260
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How long are Liverpool fans going to gloat?

4-0, about a week.

edit: You know who's almost as happy as Liverpool fans? Real Madrid fans (the final is being held in Madrid, now, admittedly not at the Bernabeu which would be the ultimate trolling to see Barca win the title there, but at Atleti would be nearly as bad)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-07-2019 at 05:13 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #261
miami_fan
Coordinator

No longer Spursey!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #262
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Poor Ajax
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #263
MrBug708
Head Coach

90+6 lulz
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #264
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What a bonkers pair of semifinals.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #265
miami_fan
Coordinator

Those plucky upstarts from London make it four for four EPL teams in the finals of European competitions.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #266
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Bast line I have heard recently.

Of the top 6 in the EPL. 2 are in the Champions League final, 2 are in the Europa League final and the other 2 are in Manchester...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #267
RainMaker
General Manager

As a casual soccer fan, those 2 matches were some of the most highly entertaining sporting events I've ever witnessed.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #268
miami_fan
Coordinator

New rule for the last day of this EPL season. Any club playing defensive today gets dropped to the Football League. Attack, attack, attack! Please!

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #269
MrBug708
Head Coach

Palace did
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #270
Critch
lolzcat

Watched the African Champions League final on BeinSports last night, second leg between Wydad Casablanca of Morocco and Esperance de Tunis of Tunisia.

First leg finished 1-1, second leg Esperance were 1-0 up at home when it all became a farce. Wydad scored an equalizer, but the ref disallowed if for offside. It was a close call but should have been given, the referee didnt bother asking for VAR though so goal didnt count.

Wydad eventually refused to play on until VAR was checked, things got a bit heated, and thats when it was announced that VAR wasnt working.

The game was then held up for 80 minuteswhile Wydad refused to play and the FA officials tried to work out what to do. Rumors that the game had been canceled and would be replayed later, but eventually they decided Wydad were to blame, so game called at 1-0 and cup to Esperance.

Hope the European final is less controversial.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #271
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unbelievable
Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #272
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Oranjekoorts (Orange fever) is spreading over here.
No, not for the UEFA Nations League semi-finals and possible final. Apparently there's a women's world cup coming up and people think our women can bring that cup home.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #273
AlexB
Pro Starter

What a BS decision that is in the Portugal Switzerland match
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #274
RainMaker
General Manager

Not a good look for the USMNT.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #275
bhlloy
Coordinator

John Stones had money on a Netherlands win then... never understood why he's so highly rated, he's David James as a central defender
Old 06-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #276
MIJB#19
Coordinator

VAR to the rescue.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #277
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
What a BS decision that is in the Portugal Switzerland match

I am guessing this was regarding the Swiss penalty. And absolutely BS for me.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #278
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
John Stones had money on a Netherlands win then... never understood why he's so highly rated, he's David James as a central defender

I often wonder if Pep has spent the last year or so secretly retraining him to be Fernandinho’s replacement. He has gotten progressively worse.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #279
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does that count as South Korea’s first touch in the French penalty area?
Old 06-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #280
miami_fan
Coordinator

How the hell did the cameras catch that penalty?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #281
AlexB
Pro Starter

Crazy scenes in the England Cameroon match in the women's World Cup. Cameroon feel that the ref and VAR are against them, and it was even reported that at half time they accused FIFA of being racist. A couple of times its looked like they might not even carry on.

One decision was tight, but all were right its apparent that a number of the Cameroon players don’t seem to understand the rules of the game.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #282
bhlloy
Coordinator

Maybe by the way they are interpreting the laws at this WC, but the margin of error on that goal was absolutely absurd (if technically correct) - I assume we're no longer paying lip service to giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacker in order to encourage attacking football.

If you'd ask me what I'd hoped to get out of VAR it isn't a situation where 30-40% of goals come of PKs, but that appears to be where we are heading right now. I'm stunned that FIFA has managed to implement it in such a shitshow way, although the weak inexperienced referees at this WC aren't helping either.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #283
AlexB
Pro Starter

Agree with you to a degree, but Pandora’s box has been opened and the new norm is half an inch offside is just the same as two yards offside. It'll just take some getting used to.

I agree that the penalty thing is a real issue - offside is a matter of fact, penalties still have some objectivity (for example I didn’t think England should have had a penalty when Fran Kirby went over, and neither did the ref after a VAR check, but it seems like I am in the minority)

The way it’s going VAR might actually increase diving if players find everything gets VAR treatment, and some people see any contact being a foul.

The game is at a crossroads for sure.

Last edited by AlexB : 06-23-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #284
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So, we're finally back to this thread for the women's World Cup now? There's this one, the one started after the USA-Thailand game and then the "random thoughts" thread also about that cakewalk.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #285
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
If you'd ask me what I'd hoped to get out of VAR it isn't a situation where 30-40% of goals come of PKs, but that appears to be where we are heading right now. I'm stunned that FIFA has managed to implement it in such a shitshow way, although the weak inexperienced referees at this WC aren't helping either.
This is the least surprising stuff, really. A large increase of penalty kick goals (combined with likely no decrease from 'normal goals') was predicted by all the pundits fromin the Netherlands, where VAR has been used a bit longer than in most of the world.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #286
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
The way it’s going VAR might actually increase diving if players find everything gets VAR treatment, and some people see any contact being a foul.

The game is at a crossroads for sure.

Agreed, and it's not only that, it's the little innocuous things that have never been a penalty but are technically fouls that are going to pop up all over the place. I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that there are 3 fouls on every corner and attacking free kick in English football, so what are they going to do when players start surrounding the ref demanding for a check late in a close game? It's like if the NFL suddenly decided they were going to review holding on the interior line on every play.

Pandora's box for sure, the most sensible VAR usage in the men's game I've seen has been when the ref has chosen to just ignore something that is technically a foul but pre-VAR wouldn't have risen to the level of a penalty (e.g. the German cup final last season) but how long until that happens to a Barcelona or PSG in a big game and even that level of choice is taken away from them? It's not hyperbole to say it's a complete game changer and it's going to destroy the flow of games and the way they are refereed, IMO. Clear and obvious error has already turned into check every little last thing, and it's not getting better once players learn how to game the system.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #287
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
This is the least surprising stuff, really. A large increase of penalty kick goals (combined with likely no decrease from 'normal goals') was predicted by all the pundits fromin the Netherlands, where VAR has been used a bit longer than in most of the world.

Heh, I was being sarcastic. I think anybody with half a brain could see this is where it was going.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #288
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
and some people see any contact being a foul.

Yes to this. Though I do think that what the use of VAR has shown (and MLS has been using it just a little less time than the Netherlands) is that a lot of thinks that we may think are dives actually do have some level of contact - if you are running full out and someone gets your ankle a tiny bit it can easily send you sprawling.

However just because there is contact doesn't mean it should be a foul. The interpretations have to be tightened up because of VAR, I think. Maybe focu on it being substantial contact or something like that.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #289
miami_fan
Coordinator

Why don't we actually write the contact that we want from the game into the laws of the game? Do we want two seconds of shirt pulling in the box on corners? Then, say players are allowed to hold onto an opponent's shirt for two second before they must let go. Or allow the grabbing altogether. The idea of yes it is a foul but it should not be called seems nonsensical. I personally think there are too many laws myself.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #290
miami_fan
Coordinator

That was Sergio Ramos-esque gamesmanship there.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #291
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Why don't we actually write the contact that we want from the game into the laws of the game? Do we want two seconds of shirt pulling in the box on corners? Then, say players are allowed to hold onto an opponent's shirt for two second before they must let go. Or allow the grabbing altogether. The idea of yes it is a foul but it should not be called seems nonsensical. I personally think there are too many laws myself.

It’s not really any different to holding or PI though. A time limit is gonna be unenforceable unless you have one ref for each duel, which isn’t gonna happen.

Changing the wording to significant contact as suggested above would be a move in the right direction, but TBH is the opposite direction to where the game is going
Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #292
Butter
Coordinator

Haiti- Costa Rica was quite the entertaining match.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #293
AlexB
Pro Starter

Referee In England Vs Cameroon Rejected Two VAR Decisions In Fear Of African Side Walking Off - SPORTbible
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Though it's probably more self-preservation than anything (for clubs from the continent in general), I'm pleased to see this

Quote:
VALENCIENNES, France -- The head of women's soccer in Africa wants Cameroon to face punishment for the conduct of players in their Women's World Cup loss to England. ... Isha Johansen, who sits on the Confederation of African Football executive committee and is president of the women's soccer body, says she is "proud of our African female teams" in the tournament.

But Johansen believes the game "reflected badly not only on African women's football but African football on the whole" and wants punishments imposed.

"It is an issue which will be addressed and dealt with at the appropriate levels of governance," she added on Monday.

According to the official from Sierra Leone, the CAF should take action even if FIFA doesn't pursue a case against the Cameroon team.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #295
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
It’s not really any different to holding or PI though. A time limit is gonna be unenforceable unless you have one ref for each duel, which isn’t gonna happen.

Changing the wording to significant contact as suggested above would be a move in the right direction, but TBH is the opposite direction to where the game is going

Ok, change the wording to significant contact. It does not really address my point. bhlloy said that there are at least three fouls on every penalty. I ask two questions:

1. Should whatever players are currently doing that are deemed illegal on penalties actually be fouls? If they should not be considered fouls, change the law so they are not against the law.

2. If they are deemed against the law and it can be seen, do we want the match official and by extension VAR to call it and give the penalties?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. Should whatever players are currently doing that are deemed illegal on penalties actually be fouls? If they should not be considered fouls, change the law so they are not against the law.

This is kinda my argument for most calls of that sort: if you don't want it called, change the rule.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #297
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Okay then, VAR, was that really hand ball for Japan?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #298
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Okay then, VAR, was that really hand ball for Japan?

Based on the new laws for handball, It USUALLY is.

Quote:
It is usually an offence if a player:
•touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
•the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
•the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. This has been one of the few things they have called pretty consistently. What does "unnaturally bigger" mean? YMMV.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
. What does "unnaturally bigger" mean?

'roids are bad, m'kay.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #300
Warhammer
Pro Starter

How much do I dislike our WNT? I find myself cheering for the French...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote