Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #101
Ramzavail
College Starter

how the heck does the buses work? I was all confused with routes and stops and then I had 22 buses going at once and my budget looked like it was through the roof. Eventually I right clicked a bunch to kill the routes and shut off the bus terminal to stop the bleeding.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #102
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm not sure what the strategy is with buses - all I did was create a bunch of routes trying to cover almost all the areas of the city. I don't know if I'm supposed to make one route covering residential and industry areas, but instead I just made one route for each few blocks of the city - haven't noticed any crazy budget issues but will check next time I'm playing.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #103
Groundhog
Coordinator

I noticed that if I have buses with too many routes that cover too great an area, people traffic at the bus stops seems to increase a ton, and buses spend the entire route basically full. Not sure what impact it actually has game-wise, but I set up shorter routes that connect with each other and it seemed to help there.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #104
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Picked this up late last night, can't wait to explore it this weekend.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #105
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I re-did all my highways and my tourism skyrocketed. Should have done that earlier.

Still have more granular re-working on traffic patterns I have to do. Other than that, at this point it's scale, scale, scale and see how far I can push it. Up over 100k people now and over 50k/week income.

I'm making heavy use of both buses and subway as well as free public transportation. Not sure how efficient the layout is, but they are being used.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-20-2015 at 09:12 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #106
Buccaneer
Head Coach

What upgrade did you make to all of your highways?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #107
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just added a few new ones spanning the entire map, interchanged with existing ones, added exits near industrial and other heavy traffic areas. Also put some railroads on trestles that were causing traffic pileups at some intersections.

Goal was to give industrial trucks a quick path out instead of cutting through local zones(where they kill traffic)and to alleviate some congestion. Also wanted quick routes to boats and airport. But all those additional exits coupled with interchanges to out of city routes made a huge difference in tourism immediately. There is a giant before and after spike.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-20-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #108
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

For some reason my citizens are getting unhappy

Old 03-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trying so hard to avoid buying this yet, but you all are making me want to crack. Been needing a SimCity successor for a long while.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-20-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #110
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Trying so hard to avoid buying this yet, but you all are making me want to crack. Been needing a SimCity successor for a long while.
Yeah this might have to happen tonight. What's it like to play a non sports text simulation video game????
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

That is classic.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #112
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They clearly want the payoff of a loop-de-loop. That's why they are unhappy.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #113
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That is classic.

I had a dream similar to that once. My commute ended up going over this giant lake and the road was extremely windy and steep that my car could barely climb it, and then it was like a roller coaster on the way down and I couldn't keep it under control. If you went off the road it was straight into the lake for a guaranteed death.

Can you tell that I hate driving?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #114
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

are you confused? this isnt Rollercoaster tycoon
Old 03-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #115
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Mota, you too, huh? To me, it's my lifelong fascination with high bridges over water. My bridge dreams exaggerates that.

Stupid question, I assume this game is available at Steam?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #116
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Mota, you too, huh? To me, it's my lifelong fascination with high bridges over water. My bridge dreams exaggerates that.

Stupid question, I assume this game is available at Steam?

Yup/
Old 03-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Yeah this might have to happen tonight. What's it like to play a non sports text simulation video game????

Haha...you and me both. This snow is demanding it.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #118
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Green Man Gaming still has it for $21.89 in their VIP section which you can access by just creating an account. You get a Steam key for it.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #119
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Meh. We did this 40 years ago IRL

BBC News - Birmingham's Spaghetti Junction turns 40

Last edited by AlexB : 03-20-2015 at 06:16 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #120
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How many of you are playing with mods, particularly the ones chinaski listed?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #121
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many of you are playing with mods, particularly the ones chinaski listed?

Right now, I'm playing default game but after this city eventually fizzles out, I will implement some of the mods recommended in this thread.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #122
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am playing with several mods - including most of the ones he listed. Some really handy mods out there.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Decided to re-start my city tonight and use the mods listed here as well as a few listed in an article on Gamespot.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #124
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

The mods are getting truly amazing. Check out the soccer field. This game is all consuming ha.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #125
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have not had any experience with Steam Workshop, so took me a little bit to get that right but amazed at the number of mods so far.

Did start the tutorial but then I got stumped as I didn't know how much to plan and build (i.e., what was considered starting out small). Quill's Let's Play is helping a lot.

My hope for the future is to introduce a historical scenario where you build dirt roads, farms, market and colonial villages and then have it progress through the historical eras - where different types of buildings and technologies become available.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #126
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there any reason to buy the deluxe version?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #127
chinaski
College Prospect

Nah not really, just comes with a few extra special buildings, which you can easily make up for with custom assets.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #128
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think you get the soundtrack too, right? I enjoy the sound, but I don't know if that's enough to purchase the deluxe version on its own.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ok. It didn't look like much but if it was only $8 extra for something good I'd do it
Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #130
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I more often than not spring for the deluxe versions, but I didn't see the value on this one.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #131
Buccaneer
Head Coach

After watching Quill's six videos, it seems that it would be a good idea to have a master plan before building - is that feasible? I get that he was trying out different things of the game but the two towns seem awkward at best. Also, I realize that he has a penchant for SimCity-like grids but I would be more interested in seeing layouts that follow the contours of the land (like Pittsburgh).
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #132
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After watching Quill's six videos, it seems that it would be a good idea to have a master plan before building - is that feasible? I get that he was trying out different things of the game but the two towns seem awkward at best. Also, I realize that he has a penchant for SimCity-like grids but I would be more interested in seeing layouts that follow the contours of the land (like Pittsburgh).

I think a master plan is a good idea... just hard to stick to at times. I've re-started my first city 4 times. First time was because I had no plan. 2nd time because my plan didn't work. 3rd time I had a great master plan. I drew some sketches and everything but then I let my city deviate too far from what I wanted. Now, I've got a thriving little city that I can't stop playing
Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #133
korme
Go Reds

After building a city that has a limitless amount of people and a continually growing population as much as I expand, I almost feel done with the game after a little under 10 hours. Don't know why I'd start over.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #134
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

My laptop can't handle this as it's an ultrabook. What I was wondering, though, is this the type of game that I would be able to maybe use a remote desktop app to play when Im not home? I'm away from home more than not so if I could just connect to my desktop that would be great. I have no idea how remote performs, though. I assume there will be delay issues but this isn't a FPS so unsure how that may affect it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #135
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
My laptop can't handle this as it's an ultrabook. What I was wondering, though, is this the type of game that I would be able to maybe use a remote desktop app to play when Im not home? I'm away from home more than not so if I could just connect to my desktop that would be great. I have no idea how remote performs, though. I assume there will be delay issues but this isn't a FPS so unsure how that may affect it.

I've played SimCity back when I had a Surface that way before and I can tell you it's kind of hell. It's a lot easier to play text sims that way since there's no graphics. So yeah you can do it and I've done it, but...it's far from ideal.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-22-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #136
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Eventually I suspect Steam will allow you to user their streaming ability over your internet connection. Until this happens I suspect you are out of luck.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #137
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
After building a city that has a limitless amount of people and a continually growing population as much as I expand, I almost feel done with the game after a little under 10 hours. Don't know why I'd start over.

As much as I love this game I have to agree - seems like it's not too hard to get to a stable town situation where you make tons of money - once you have that there's really no situation you can't easily overcome. I'd like to see some random event options, scenarios where you have to overcome certain problems, etc. Maybe that will come in time.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #138
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Scenarios along with random and action-oriented events are critical for the on-going success of any strategy games.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #139
Groundhog
Coordinator

Has anyone tried using the increased difficulty option?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #140
stevew
Hall Of Famer

After never being able to connect my metro I just demoed it in frustration.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #141
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think it would be beneficial to have multiple line colors and perhaps numbers to figure out broken lines and the like.

Or a clear all routes button.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #142
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Has anyone tried using the increased difficulty option?

I played with it some, but EA's servers wouldn't let me on, so I deleted it.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #143
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I played quite a bit last night and so far, I've seen this pattern:

(assuming you laid out your streets in a logical fashion - commercial main street surrounded by residential blocks, separate street for industrial)
1. Add residential
2. Add turbine and water
3. Add commercial
4. Add industrial
5. Add turbine and water
6. Reach milestone, add new services
7. Add residential
8. Add turbine and water
9. Add commercial
10. Add industrial
11. Add turbine and water
12. Reach milestone, add new services
repeat...

I kept waiting for something different or at least a problem to happen.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #144
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah the issue is there isn't really any problem that can't be fixed by adding a few new services. Once you get to the point where money is no object then the challenge goes way downhill. Other than major traffic snarls (which if nothing else can be fixed by just bulldozing a lot of stuff and re-doing the roads) I haven't seen anything which really challenged my inevitable rise to a mega-city.

Really hoping they will add some more challenges since the base game is so good.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #145
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You guys must be better at this stuff than me. My first city is going to go bankrupt and I don't think I can stop it. I've only managed to get to about 3200 people. I know the mistakes I've made and can likely avoid them on my next attempt but I'm sure I'll make others as that city grows to new levels.

I've got 5 hours in now and I can't see how another 5 would get me to a point where I'd already feel done with this game.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #146
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
You guys must be better at this stuff than me. My first city is going to go bankrupt and I don't think I can stop it. I've only managed to get to about 3200 people. I know the mistakes I've made and can likely avoid them on my next attempt but I'm sure I'll make others as that city grows to new levels.

I've got 5 hours in now and I can't see how another 5 would get me to a point where I'd already feel done with this game.

I had multiple restarts...the best was that I decided to use water pumps but placed them in the industrial district, then I was wondering why everyone was sicker than usual (HOBOY, restart).
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #147
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think one of the key things that would make the base game more challenging is a hard map - no large flat areas, no rivers perhaps?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #148
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess my main criticism of the game, besides the lack of gaming elements, would be the lack of information on micro-problems like happiness. But then again, if problems were easily identified, then there would be nothing to think about.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My town was having major traffic issues coming off the interstate. All the cars were backing up. Can someone screenshot me a city that won't have these issues. I suspect I need more roads heading into town?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #150
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My town was having major traffic issues coming off the interstate. All the cars were backing up. Can someone screenshot me a city that won't have these issues. I suspect I need more roads heading into town?

Had the same problem. Didnt make it far enough in the game to get access to items that would fix it. IE bridges and overpasses and offramps
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote