Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #551
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well maybe not

Now there are reports that Haley is gone too.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #552
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Well maybe not

LOL. I'm now picturing something akin to "I'm warning you, don't make me stop this car"
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #553
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Well maybe not

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #554
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mayfield named player/coach
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #555
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So Greggggg Williams kinda won... but still lost?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #556
Logan
Head Coach

I have a 3 team and a 5 team parlay that are dependent on the Pats knocking off the Bills tonight, straight up.

Would you consider hedging the BUF ML (+700 last I saw)?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #557
Ksyrup

One of my bosses did some sort of 4 team parlay yesterday and all he needed was for the Rams to win by 6. Gurley taking a knee cost him $1700.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #558
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Conner has essentially proven that it was the OL more than it was Bell. It's easy to do what Bell did with the Steelers OL. Add a pair of decent hands to that and Conner was bound to produce like this.

I think not only did Bell hurt himself, he also hurt the RB market as a whole. The rest of the RB's in the league who haven't gotten their next big deal yet should be pissed.
According to Football Outsiders, Conner has been about the 30th best RB and is actually producing slightly below an average replacement when adjusted for defenses played. He is above replacement level and around 13th/14th best RB on passes. Bell was 11/5/3 the last 3 seasons, though only 29/12/49th!!! in receiving stats.

So my conclusion would be that Bell is very overrated and somewhat misused by Pittsburgh as a receiver, but still a much better RB than Conner, who has benefited from a weak slate of defenses & Pittsburgh's insistence on giving their lead RB 30+ touches many games. (Though I wonder if some of Ben using him as a safety valve and dumping it off hurts those receiving numbers.) I'd also say between those numbers and the eye test that Pittsburgh's OL is nothing special.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #559
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I have a 3 team and a 5 team parlay that are dependent on the Pats knocking off the Bills tonight, straight up.

Would you consider hedging the BUF ML (+700 last I saw)?

...maybe?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #560
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, 1st Gronk's foot was out of bounds. 2nd, how was that not intentional grounding?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #561
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess he was outside the pocket and it got to the line of scrimmage?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 AM   #562
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Okay, 1st Gronk's foot was out of bounds. 2nd, how was that not intentional grounding?

Gronk's foot touching the line was his third step with possession of the ball, he had two feet down before that.

https://imgur.com/a/kJNu9Pt
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #563
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
...maybe?
Hahaha no. Moneyline would've been a different story.

I'd also be lying if the Gordon situation didn't give me pause. On the one hand it's a rite of passage for 80% of first year Patriots to get kinda benched for being late, and maybe being in an organization that holds him accountable for a little thing like that will prevent the big thing, but on the other hand it's Josh Gordon and many of those situations with veterans didn't work out in the end.

On the 3rd hand, I watched the Dolphins play again this week, so the focus is definitely back on the conference. With us and Kansas City looking best homefield could actually matter a lot again this year.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #564
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
...maybe?

I ended up putting on a small hedge that would have assured me of about 80% of my return when I saw that the Buffalo money line went to +1200 just after the second half started. With a 9-3 game it wss worth the peace of mind especially at those odds, mostly because I had no interest in watching the rest and wanted to go to bed.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #565
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Gronk's foot touching the line was his third step with possession of the ball, he had two feet down before that.

https://imgur.com/a/kJNu9Pt

Just because the ball was touching his hands doesn't mean he had control with that 1st "foot". That picture doesn't mean anything by itself.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #566
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Just because the ball was touching his hands doesn't mean he had control with that 1st "foot". That picture doesn't mean anything by itself.

You can compare it to the videos. I'm just saying that the call wasn't about whether his foot was in bounds or not at the end, it's whether he had control for at the time of the previous two steps. I know a lot of people watching the game were only focused on that last step out of bounds, and the announcers didn't really clarify what the refs were most likely looking at.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #567
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lol.

Cowboys give up a first for cooper and the Texans get Demarius Thomas for a 4th. Amazing.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #568
Ksyrup

Along with a scouting report for this weekend!
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #569
Thomkal
Head Coach

I was surprised with the Fuller injury the Texans were not going after Dez Bryant. Now I know why. Last I heard the Patriots were interested in Thomas, so happy the Texans only got him for a 4th.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #570
molson
General Manager

Every non-Cowboy pick-for-player trade feels like the pick is too low. Couldn't the Patriots (or any number of other teams) use Thomas for a 2nd or 3rd? Is the hit rate on 2nd or 3rds that high? I mean, these guys know far more about football and their needs than I do, but I'm almost always surprised how low the picks are that are traded.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #571
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Every non-Cowboy pick-for-player trade feels like the pick is too low. Couldn't the Patriots (or any number of other teams) use Thomas for a 2nd or 3rd? Is the hit rate on 2nd or 3rds that high? I mean, these guys know far more about football and their needs than I do, but I'm almost always surprised how low the picks are that are traded.

I think salary factors in to it a lot. Also the position.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #572
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lions trade Golden Tate III to the Eagles for a 3rd round pick.

I really liked Tate as a Lion. He was a fantastic free agent signing. I'll definitely miss him, but, the Lions aren't going anywhere this year and they weren't going to re-sign him, so...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #573
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Lions trade Golden Tate III to the Eagles for a 3rd round pick.

I really liked Tate as a Lion. He was a fantastic free agent signing. I'll definitely miss him, but, the Lions aren't going anywhere this year and they weren't going to re-sign him, so...

I think that NFL front offices are getting smarter about this kind of stuff. In the old days, the concept of "weren't going to re-sign him" did not matter as much as it should have.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #574
Butter
Coordinator

I would love the Bengals to trade for Patrick Peterson, but we don't do that.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #575
Ksyrup

Terrelle Pryor apparently going to sign with Buffalo. Unclear whether he's going to play WR or QB though!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #576
Ksyrup

Ty Montgomery traded to the Ravens. Heck of a fumble.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #577
Ksyrup

Damn, Dante Fowler to the Rams.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #578
Ksyrup

Also, who is Nick Mullens? Seriously. I guess he'll likely be the starting QB for the 49ers Thursday.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-30-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #579
Ksyrup

HaHa Clinton Dix to Redskins.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #580
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Ready for the Giants season to be over

The future

New York Giants QB Kyle Lauletta arrested for traffic violation

Glad he made it out with no broken bones and no tasering.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #581
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The future

You beat me to it, I just headed over here to share the smdh
Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #582
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I guess we know whose fault it will be if he throws an out when the WR cuts in.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #583
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ty Montgomery traded to the Ravens. Heck of a fumble.

And for a 2020 7th Round pick. That's a "we literally would have accepted any deal for you, now get the fuck out" trade.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #584
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ty's been a jack of all trades, master of none. He's a below average RB, marginal WR and decent return guy. He was nice when GB had the litany of injuries to Nelson, Cobb, RBs and our return guys the past two seasons. But, with a fairly healthy team, there's not much room for him (esp given how Jones is running). That combined with him complaining about his role and saying he didn't trust anyone on the team yesterday pretty much punched his ticket. I thought they would just cut him so getting any pick is a positive.

The Clinton-Dix trade is interesting. They probably would have gotten a compensatory 5th in 2020 if he left in FA - so I guess they think the 2019 4th is worth the cost of losing him for this season. The safeties (including Ha Ha) have been the worst part of this defense so far. My guess is they are just as confident with Josh Jones (had been hurt) and decided to get the slight better (and sooner) pick. I also don't think it means GB is giving up. They just added Breeland and could play either him or Tramon Williams at safety given their young corners are playing pretty well (Alexander, King, Jackson). Plus, with Pettine's system, it's more about the number of defensive backs on the field than any specific position. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4-5 CBs and 1 safety given King, Jackson, Williams and Breeland are bigger corners.

Last edited by Arles : 10-30-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #585
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And for a 2020 7th Round pick. That's a "we literally would have accepted any deal for you, now get the fuck out" trade.
There was also a rumor that New England would have signed him for Sunday's game if the Packers cut him. So, the trade prevents that from happening.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #586
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think that's one of the most if not the most active trade deadline days that I can remember. Crazy.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #587
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The Clinton-Dix trade is interesting. They probably would have gotten a compensatory 5th in 2020 if he left in FA - so I guess they think the 2019 4th is worth the cost of losing him for this season. The safeties (including Ha Ha) have been the worst part of this defense so far. My guess is they are just as confident with Josh Jones (had been hurt) and decided to get the slight better (and sooner) pick. I also don't think it means GB is giving up. They just added Breeland and could play either him or Tramon Williams at safety given their young corners are playing pretty well (Alexander, King, Jackson). Plus, with Pettine's system, it's more about the number of defensive backs on the field than any specific position. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4-5 CBs and 1 safety given King, Jackson, Williams and Breeland are bigger corners.

Clinton-Dix is PFF’s second rated safety in the entire league.

Also Golden Tate for a third vs Amari Cooper for a first is why Philly has a Super Bowl and the Cowboys are nowhere near.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #588
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thought the Pats using Patterson out of the backfield was an interesting value move. I know they're short on backs, but kinda surprised this sort of thing didn't happen with guys like Heyward Bey or Ted Ginn before him. "He's faster than everyone else" can sometimes be enough.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:31 AM   #589
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Clinton-Dix is PFF’s second rated safety in the entire league.
They must really value missed tackles and TDs allowed then. I challenge anyone to watch the Detroit, Minnesota and (funny enough) Redskins game and say he’s the 2nd rated Safety. He did look great against Buffalo though.

Last edited by Arles : 10-31-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:32 AM   #590
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
The future

I drive through that same intersection all the time and it's a complete shitshow, so if he needs someone to testify on his behalf...
Old 10-31-2018, 07:01 AM   #591
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Thought the Pats using Patterson out of the backfield was an interesting value move. I know they're short on backs, but kinda surprised this sort of thing didn't happen with guys like Heyward Bey or Ted Ginn before him. "He's faster than everyone else" can sometimes be enough.

Except he ran the ball 10 times for 38 yards, including one 22 yard run. So in all, he was fairly ineffective.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #592
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Also Golden Tate for a third vs Amari Cooper for a first is why Philly has a Super Bowl and the Cowboys are nowhere near.

I don't have a dog in the fight (except maybe that I'm a Lions fan?) but there's a big difference between renting a 30-something Tate for the rest of this season and having a 24-something Cooper for the next few years.

Last edited by Bobble : 10-31-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Bobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #593
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I don't have a dog in the fight (except maybe that I'm a Lions fan?) but there's a big difference between renting a 30-something Tate for the rest of this season and having a 24-something Cooper for the next few years.

I keep seeing people mention the age gap, what difference does age make if the guy sucks relative to the value they gave up to get him?

Lets not act like he is going to an organization that has a QB who will make him batter.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #594
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Raiders/49ers on Thursday Night Football.

I think if I owned a sports bar, I'd have a "Shitty Game! Cheap Beer!" promotion for nights like this. Lean into it. Half price wings and pitchers of Bud and Bud Light for the night. And during commercial breaks and halftime, have trivia about how badly the teams are doing ("The last team to go this many consecutive games with a turnover was the 1983 . . . ")
Old 10-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #595
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's like someone bet him to see how much QB sadness he could cram into one tweet.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #596
miked
College Starter

Glad I have Chicago's defense this week.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #597
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
We've always heard how hard it is for new WR's to be integrated into the Pats system & learn Brady's trust, so I really doubt the Patriots were actively trying to add a 2nd WR for a decent draft pick outlay with the WR corps stabilized and looking like a strength. Now if there was a Martellus Bennett like TE so we'd feel more comfortable resting Gronk or a coverage linebacker available I'd have been all over that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I keep seeing people mention the age gap, what difference does age make if the guy sucks relative to the value they gave up to get him?

Lets not act like he is going to an organization that has a QB who will make him batter.
I think the age difference would be significant if they were both signed to a long term deal, but Tate is a UFA and Cooper has a $13m option before becoming a UFA after next season.

I do think that Cooper was an overpay, but don't see why that makes the Tate deal a good one. (I also don't get why people think Tate (or Thomas) are much better WR's than Cooper. Since Cooper entered the league in 2015 he has 61.2 ypg. Tate has exactly 62 and Thomas has 66.75, though that goes down to 60.85 if you take out his 2015 that was the tail end of his great 4 year peak.)

Philly fans seem to think it's okay because they'll get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him, but that seems to assume someone signs 31y/o Golden Tate to a big money deal this offseason. There's a few dumb franchises left, but I'm not so sure teams will be looking to give him a long term deal in FA.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #598
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Except he ran the ball 10 times for 38 yards, including one 22 yard run. So in all, he was fairly ineffective.
Yeah, he sucked at it. Going against Buffalo with Michel out it was worth a try to see if you can do some interesting formation stuff in the playoffs, but it's clear Patterson's hole recognition is as good as his hands on contested balls.

It was interesting that they went to that before even trying to run James White out of the I formation behind Develin. I hope that that's mostly because they think White is so valuable as a pass catcher they don't want to risk hurting him now, because if Michel goes down in a playoff game we need somebody who can run the ball when teams go into a nickel/dime look for our offense to hit its peak efficiency.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #599
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The future

I got a laugh at ESPN's headline in the app for this one.

"Rookie QB Lauletta arrested in traffic incident; Giants disappointed"

(Bold in quote is my emphasis)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:26 PM   #600
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stephen A talking about how Rodgers should demand a trade. Lol.

How many firsts would you feel comfortable parting with, if you were a GM? 5-7? Plus some seconds? Isn’t he worth 8-10 premium picks?