Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #651
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dez Bryant waited for a better opportunity than Cleveland and finally got it-signed with the Saints.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #652
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a Saints fan, I'm hoping he's got something left.

But this strikes me as the classic "5 catches for 52 yards and 3 drops over 5 weeks before breaking his foot in Week 15 and going on IR" signing of an over-the-hill veteran.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #653
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Didn't they learn their lesson with Peterson? Seems like the chances of us remembering this signing more for him bitching about not getting used properly greatly outweigh the chances of his playing well both on and off the field.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #654
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

They could probably just throw to Thomas 25 times a game instead.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #655
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If a QB is going to run the ball, he should be just like any other runner.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #656
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #657
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I didn't know this until I looked it up just now, but any runner can slide and get that protection and draw a flag like that. QBs are just the one ones who typically have that space to (and a stronger incentive not to get hit).

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...all_Scrimm.pdf

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2018 at 08:35 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #658
Ksyrup

Yeah, that's been the rule forever. This was one of the big things that came up when RG3 first came into the NFL and couldn't learn to slide, so he was taking huge hits because he was afraid of tearing up his knee awkwardly sliding.

There are definitely several scenarios in which QBs can game the system. Going out of bounds is one, this is the other.

The issue is that because the ball is spotted where you are when you begin your slide, QBs have an incentive to slide as late as possible, with the double benefit of potentially drawing this kind of hit. It's become a safety issue in a way the NFL probably didn't intend.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #659
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, that's been the rule forever. This was one of the big things that came up when RG3 first came into the NFL and couldn't learn to slide, so he was taking huge hits because he was afraid of tearing up his knee awkwardly sliding.

There are definitely several scenarios in which QBs can game the system. Going out of bounds is one, this is the other.

The issue is that because the ball is spotted where you are when you begin your slide, QBs have an incentive to slide as late as possible, with the double benefit of potentially drawing this kind of hit. It's become a safety issue in a way the NFL probably didn't intend.

I meant it's not a QB-specific rule. RBs and WRs with the ball could also try to game the system, slide at the last minute, etc, and it'd be a flag to hit them during the slide. They just tend not to be running at defenders running back at them from a long distance.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2018 at 08:41 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #660
Ksyrup

Ah. Yeah, I don't recall seeing any player other than a QB purposely slide feet first.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #661
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Ah. Yeah, I don't recall seeing any player other than a QB purposely slide feet first.
I've seen it a couple times near the end of a half or game where the runner gives himself up inbounds so they can immediately call timeout. I believe you can even just take a knee and call yourself down like it's a touchback, though I have to admit I don't recall seeing that one.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-09-2018 at 08:44 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #662
Ksyrup

I've seen the knee one more often, actually. Usually a WR who makes a catch in the middle of the field with a few seconds left, can't get out of bounds, and needs to be down so they can take a TO.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #663
Ksyrup

The other scenario is on squib kick-offs with a few seconds left, usually the upback will field it and immediately take a knee. I think that's the scenario I've seen it most often.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #664
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly.. maybe Reid took a cheap shot but that slide seemed last second to me. I'm all about protecting players but some of those slides/hits seem dangerously close. If I'm a DB/LB and I see a QB running, I'm looking to put a hit on him that lets him know that's a no-no against me.

Then you have guys like Cam Newton where the defense is like.. man, do I hit this guy he's not sliding.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #665
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Being reported Dez tore his ACL in practice.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #666
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw Achilles I think.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #667
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Reid said something funny like " I didn't even realize you could get ejected". Which is what I (and others) have been saying for years. If you wanna eject guys, do it, but don't be arbitrary.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #668
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
As a Saints fan, I'm hoping he's got something left.

But this strikes me as the classic "5 catches for 52 yards and 3 drops over 5 weeks before breaking his foot in Week 15 and going on IR" signing of an over-the-hill veteran.

You seemed to have been considerably too optimistic
Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #669
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I have no idea how Peterman is an NFL QB other than the obligatory naked photos of his coach. He just missed a wide open McCoy who would have walked in for a TD to throw to the guy underneath who was double covered. He was even looking in the right direction FFS.

I honestly think you could find anyone who started at a power 5 school last year and they would be a better NFL QB. It’s even worse when you think he’s been in the NFL for nearly 2 years now and has some experience starting as well.

How many QBs have been on the Bills roster this year that are better than Peterman?

Josh Allen
Matt Barkley
Derek Anderson
AJ McCarron
Terrell Pryor
Logan Thomas?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #670
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Are the Bears this good? Or are the Lions this bad?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #671
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Are the Bears this good? Or are the Lions this bad?

Well Football Outsiders has this Bears team 4th in overall DVOA, 10th in offense, and 1st in Defense. They also have the Lions 29th overall with the 18th best offense and 29th defense.

Maybe a bit of both?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #672
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This Lions team is busted as hell. Their defense is horrible and they gave up 10 sacks last week.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #673
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think I've ever seen a kicker hit the upright 4 times in the same season let along 1 game.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #674
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey Bills, this is what a competent QB looks like just so you know. Of course playing against the Jets helps too
Old 11-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #675
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So who had the Browns beating the Falcons today?
Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #676
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the Colts will be squeaking one out over the Jaguars. But if they want any chance of making the playoffs they need to not drop goose eggs on the scoreboard for an entire half.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #677
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow Vrabel and the Titans laid a licking on the Patriots.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #678
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So who had the Browns beating the Falcons today?

It hurt, they had won 3 straight to come back from their awful start.

Only consolation is that the Patriots lost also ... because we know "Joe Cool" is (arguably) the GOAT.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #679
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Over/Under on what time Tuesday the Bears announces Cody Parkey is cut?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #680
Ksyrup

The NFL has GOT to stop allowing plays to go when the outcome is obvious. Wilson clearly pitched the ball forward, but they didn't blow the ball dead and you had 2 unsportsmanlike penalty calls at the end of a "fumble" run that shouldn't have happened. Someone's gonna blow an ACL during the end of one of these unnecessary plays.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #681
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The NFL has GOT to stop allowing plays to go when the outcome is obvious. Wilson clearly pitched the ball forward, but they didn't blow the ball dead and you had 2 unsportsmanlike penalty calls at the end of a "fumble" run that shouldn't have happened. Someone's gonna blow an ACL during the end of one of these unnecessary plays.

What the NFL has got to do is stop putting NFC East teams in primetime this year.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dak couldn't hit water if he threw it from a boat.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #683
cuervo72
Head Coach

And yet...
Old 11-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #684
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Dak couldn't hit water if he threw it from a boat.

You were saying....

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #685
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Bengals defense is so goddamned bad. I don't really understand it, they have some very talented players.. It seems like a stretch that the scheme is just that bad or that much of a mismatch for the talent, but they are currently on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history I believe. Pretty inexcusable failure, they could be an actually good team if they even had an average defense. As it stands, I see 9-7, 6th seed or just missing the playoffs, one and done if they get in. I think the last thing anyone would have expected is that the defense would be the reason the team sucked this season.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #686
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Over/Under on what time Tuesday the Bears announces Cody Parkey is cut?
Nice thought, but with $9 mil guaranteed that isn't going to happen. And remember last year's kicker debacle? Clearly, Pace and staff can't evaluate kickers (among other positions).
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #687
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The Bengals defense is so goddamned bad. I don't really understand it, they have some very talented players.. It seems like a stretch that the scheme is just that bad or that much of a mismatch for the talent, but they are currently on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history I believe. Pretty inexcusable failure, they could be an actually good team if they even had an average defense. As it stands, I see 9-7, 6th seed or just missing the playoffs, one and done if they get in. I think the last thing anyone would have expected is that the defense would be the reason the team sucked this season.

I know this doesn't happen in football, but the Bengals are in that spot where their good players aren't enough and they should trade them all and do a rebuild.

But, of course, Mike Brown would fuck that up and end up in a worse position than they are currently.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #688
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You seemed to have been considerably too optimistic

Turns out I was.

I feel bad for him the way I feel bad for any injured player. But he's a washed-up headcase, so it is probably better for the team that's he not doing the Diva thing in the huddle and pouting over targets.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #689
miami_fan
Coordinator

He is ready for his second, third and fourth chance now.

Bills release QB Nathan Peterman*
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #690
Ksyrup

Is there some reason Jason Witten wears his jacket 3 sizes too small?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #691
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
He is ready for his second, third and fourth chance now.

Bills release QB Nathan Peterman*

Feel for the guy.

Had he never been called into action he likely carves out an 8-10 year career as a nicely paid backup and is set for life.

Now there is zero chance anyone signs him and he has mad between 1-2 million, before taxes and agents fees, etc...
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #692
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So in my attempt to be responsible I set a weekly deposit limit for my Fandual sportsbook account. I set it last Monday, so I thought it would reset today. Doesn't work like that an I wasn't able to deposit today.

They were running a promo, up to $50 back in site credit if you bet a prop on the game tonight and it loses. My bet was going to be OBJ to score 3 TDs. $50 would pay $3500. He just scored number 2. I may be sick.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #693
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Feel for the guy.

Had he never been called into action he likely carves out an 8-10 year career as a nicely paid backup and is set for life.

Now there is zero chance anyone signs him and he has mad between 1-2 million, before taxes and agents fees, etc...

Thought this was funny from Deadspin today.

Quote:
If there’s any fun left in the world, Peterman’s next job will be with the Oakland Raiders.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #694
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
So in my attempt to be responsible I set a weekly deposit limit for my Fandual sportsbook account. I set it last Monday, so I thought it would reset today. Doesn't work like that an I wasn't able to deposit today.

They were running a promo, up to $50 back in site credit if you bet a prop on the game tonight and it loses. My bet was going to be OBJ to score 3 TDs. $50 would pay $3500. He just scored number 2. I may be sick.

Good thing for you Manning has no arm strength left then, because I think any other QB in the league has an easy touchdown on that last play.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #695
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Good thing for you Manning has no arm strength left then, because I think any other QB in the league has an easy touchdown on that last play.

He should have 4-5 right now. There was a PI on him in the first half, then Eli didn't even look his way when he was uncovered on the goal line.

Had I made the bet I would be freaking right now.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #696
bhlloy
Coordinator

Breida looks really good. This is a good offensive line and Shanahan has made running backs look good before, but I’m not sure McKinnon gets his job back and might be looking for a new team. I seem to remember that big contract was pretty team friendly under the surface.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-12-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #697
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Peterman should go cross the rainbow bridge and change his name and try to hook on with the tigercats or something. Of course, he’s likely to miss the right exit and end up by fort niagara.

Last edited by stevew : 11-12-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #698
bhlloy
Coordinator

On Peterman, how many 7th rounders stick with a team let alone start a few games over a season and a half? If it wasn’t for McDermott’s weird infatuation with him as well as the fact that Buffalo fans hated Tyrod Taylor we would probably have never heard of him. Certainly worse ways to earn what the average American probably takes 10-15 years to earn.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #699
bhlloy
Coordinator

More referees deciding games. NFL still giving fans what they want to see. And Latham a cardiac arrest when this goes into OT.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-12-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #700
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
More referees deciding games. NFL still giving fans what they want to see. And Latham a cardiac arrest when this goes into OT.

It is rough.

I have $100 on the over 45. So if that hits I win money, if it doesn't I lose. So logically I should be happy if he was to get another because I wouldn't actually lose money, it would just feel that way.

I think the moral is don't gamble.