Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Tell me about Spirit Island

Also, 2 browser based wargames

Israeli Independence
Israeli Independence

Battle for Moscow
404 Not Found

Says not found but link is good

Spirit Island! It’s one of my absolute favorite games. It’s an excellent co-op game. You can play up to 4 with the base game and up to 6 with an expansion.

You play island spirits trying to fend off colonization by outsiders. There are a number of different spirits you can play and each plays very differently. Some are really simple and straightforward (I kill things, I defend things) and others are really complex. Thematically they are really interesting.

The game has a ton of replayability and there is a deck builder aspect as well.

The game is very complex. You can spend a lot of time strategizing each turn. The rules are very well written, so the complexity is more in the game play and figuring out the best turn each time, as opposed to confusion over the rules.

This has been my favorite game over the last year. We recently played a 5 person game and one of my friends played a simple spirit, since it was his first time. He had a lot of downtime because the rest of us had to spend a lot of time figuring out our turns, while he didn’t. I think it plays better with 3-4 people.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #3852
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Spirit Island! It’s one of my absolute favorite games. It’s an excellent co-op game. You can play up to 4 with the base game and up to 6 with an expansion.

You play island spirits trying to fend off colonization by outsiders. There are a number of different spirits you can play and each plays very differently. Some are really simple and straightforward (I kill things, I defend things) and others are really complex. Thematically they are really interesting.

The game has a ton of replayability and there is a deck builder aspect as well.

The game is very complex. You can spend a lot of time strategizing each turn. The rules are very well written, so the complexity is more in the game play and figuring out the best turn each time, as opposed to confusion over the rules.

This has been my favorite game over the last year. We recently played a 5 person game and one of my friends played a simple spirit, since it was his first time. He had a lot of downtime because the rest of us had to spend a lot of time figuring out our turns, while he didn’t. I think it plays better with 3-4 people.

Thanks. I really like the theme. I am primarily going to play it solo. Have you done that yet?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:54 PM   #3853
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Thanks. I really like the theme. I am primarily going to play it solo. Have you done that yet?

I haven’t, no, but I think it’d play well solo. It’s very tactical. You always know what the enemy is going to each turn in terms of trying to hurt you or build up, so it’s trying to figure out how to best stop them with the cards and powers you have available, so I think that’d work well solo.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:37 PM   #3854
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

I primarily play this solo, both true solo and two-handed solo. Two-handed, while can be very complex gameplay, is more rewarding because of how some spirits can interact with each other, and that's where the game shines. The best games are when I'm pressed up against the corner, about to lose, and you manage to somehow pull a win out of your ass.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:40 PM   #3855
Danny
Head Coach

On the BGG peoples choice for top 200 solo games, Spirit Island is #1, so i think youre good. Its a great game and ill only ever play it solo.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:47 PM   #3856
MJ4H
Coordinator

Picked up Earth this past week and got a play-through in this weekend. Solid game with some strategic depth. Similar in feel to Wingspan (tableau builder), but definitely a bit heavier. Also feels like you have more control and choices than Wingspan (I was never a big fan of WS).

Another aspect I really like about Earth is that you get to do something on everyone's turn.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #3857
tarcone
Coordinator

Discovered The Game Crafter today after a hunt for a game by GreyGnome Games. The game is DustRunner, a solo race through post apocalyptic land scape.

This looks really fun

Old 12-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #3858
tarcone
Coordinator

Dust Runner is awesome. A card sized tin box of goodness. Game takes about 15 minutes. Thinking of trying Iron Helm next.

Also, I found Mike Lambo game books. Interesting system for sure. He has sci-fi, fantasy and war games. His PDFs are 25% off at Wargame Vault. Or you can find bound copies on amazon.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:14 PM   #3859
Danny
Head Coach

I own Iron Helm, Tin Helm, Desolate and Gate from that designer. He has a new one coming out next month (Tin Realm)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #3860
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'm going to do the plaay.com games in the new year. Played several before, and they have a bunch of new games I had.

Second Season: Good
Roller Rumble: Great (love the old Roller Derby)
Nascar game: Good, but too many pieces

Roller Rumble is one of my favorites.

I got the classic (whatever its called) set of skaters as well as downloading a complete set of LA T-Birds that somebody homebrewed and it stayed on my tabletop for quite a while many years back. Had an absolute blast with it.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:58 PM   #3861
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I stumbled into a couple of games that work well at family get togethers. Both are labeled party games, and honestly we play them more like activities without keeping track of successes or failures. These have both been very successful with non-gamers.

Wavelength: One person is provided a prompt like Rough vs Smooth, and also target number. e.g. Rough being 0 and smooth being 100. Only the clue giver knows the target they are going for, and they have to select a clue that the crowd of guessers will estimate near the target number. In this example "Baseball" would be my clue. The game manages the target with a dial with a mechanism to reveal the correct answer and determine if the guessers were "close enough".

Just One: Also a party game. This one scratches a similar itch to Codenames, but is even more accessible. The clue givers here are giving one word clues. The catch being that any clues that multiple players provide are cancelled out and not shared with the player guessing the clues.

Lots of gaming this Holiday. A bit later today I'll get to try out a friend's copy of Dwellings of Eldervale that just arrived.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #3862
MJ4H
Coordinator

For the past nearly 3 years I have been designing a board game. I am nearing the point in the game's development where I will need to playtest it. It is fully playable on Tabletop Simulator right now, but I am also prototyping it to play in person with my regular gaming group(s).

The game is called Grimoire (for now). 2-4 players take the role of competing Sorcerers, casting spells and conjuring beasts to stake their claim to a contested bit of land. As the game progresses, you grow more powerful, increasing the size of your spellbook, your capacity to retain mana, and obtaining more powerful spells, and finally conjuring more powerful creatures.

Here's a screenshot of the playable game in TTS:

Here's my first gameboard prototype:

and I just got my first batch of cards made.

Does anybody have and use Tabletop Simulator AND want to help me playtest this?

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-08-2024 at 05:46 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote